Start by marking “Looking for Alibrandi: Screenplay of a Film” as Want to Read:
Looking for Alibrandi: Screenplay of a Film

Looking for Alibrandi: Screenplay of a Film

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  824 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

For as long as Josephine Alibrandi can remember, it’s just been her, her mom, and her grandmother. Now it’s her final year at a wealthy Catholic high school. The nuns couldn’t be any stricter—but that doesn’t seem to stop all kinds of men from coming into her life.

Caught between the old-world values of her Italian grandmother, the nononsense wisdom of her mom, and the boys

Published January 1st 2000 by Currency Press Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Alibrandi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Alibrandi

Gia
Feb 25, 2011 Gia rated it really liked it
I fell in love with this book when I read it as a 12-year-old. Despite having had to study it in high school, I still more than like this book. The cultural insight was fresh and exciting. And I was able to relate to Josie as an "ethnic" person living in Australia. Her problems, emotional turmoil and constant suffering were so familiar it hurt sometimes but this was the book that got me through those difficult racist moments in high school.
Esther Tang
Jan 13, 2011 Esther Tang rated it really liked it
Handy high school book that delves into young adult themes like fitting in, body image, friendship, and dating. Believable and enjoyable.
Lisa
May 30, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a really good portrayal of Australian teenagers in the 90's. Took me right back there!
Jan 14, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Josephine Alibrandi is a smart, sassy seventeen year old, living in Sydney during her last year of high school. She’s got a lot to think about this year, as she struggles with her identity as an Australian-Italian, her first boyfriend, her relationships with her mother and grandmother, and meeting her absentee father for the first time in her life. There’s a lot of heavy issues in this coming of age novel, but if I had to put my finger on the biggest one to Josephine is the idea of balancing two ...more
Heather
Jun 29, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
The worst thing about this book was the narrator, Josie Alibrandi. For a seventeen-year-old I found her to be immature, self-centred, rude, outspoken and generally obnoxious. Her parents were so much nicer than she was, but her mother needed to discipline her more when she was a child because the way Josie spoke to people was horrendous at times, especially when she was angry or upset.
Nicole
Mar 13, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
I had so many feelings about this book.

I had to read it because I was teaching it for English. I'd heard a lot about it, good and bad, so it was a mixed bag to begin with.
Early on there were times I wanted to hurl it across the room, where, if you'd been watching me, you'd have seen the anger and frustration on my face, the teeth-grinding. I guess I related a lot to this story and brought out things in me that I haven't bothered to feel in a while.

But as a read on, it grew on me.
I think this is
Isabella
Dec 02, 2015 Isabella rated it really liked it
This book was by far the best book I have read. I really enjoyed reading this as I could relate to some things but I thought it was a very good book for teenage girls I would recommend this to all teenage girls.
Amelia
Jan 09, 2011 Amelia rated it liked it
I studied this at school, but despite this, I do like it a lot.
Firstly, I love to support Australian authors, and I think Melina Marcetta is worthy of support in any case.
I love the cultural insights, and the dominance of female characters.
I like that Josie is so far from perfect, along with every other character ( except maybe Josie's mother. She is saint like in a strange way, I think.)
There are some pretty big issues tackled in the book, but I think its pretty appropriate stuff for teenager
Aussie Owned and Read Owned and Read
The first time I read this book I was deeply affected by it. I was quite young, had lived a fairly sheltered existence in a happy little Mountains town, and reading this book really opened my eyes up to the world of high school and multiculturalism.

I love the honesty in this book. It’s so real with no pretenses, and explores prejudices and learning that sometimes people aren’t always what they seem.

A must read if you get the chance.

Full review on the blog. http://aussieownedandread.com/2013/07..
Sophie Farinacci
Feb 22, 2013 Sophie Farinacci rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was 12. I found it quite relatable in many ways despite the time and age difference. Josephine is a very relatable character and throughout the book, Melinda highlights the struggles of fitting in and wanting to fit in, which in a girl, is something that happens from the moment you start school.
It is not like any other book that I have read. It has a deeper meaning and is more full on in the area of politics and pollitical correctness. I would definitely recommend this book.
Felicity
Apr 17, 2012 Felicity rated it really liked it
I read this in year ten and I loved everything about it. The writing was well done, it was simple but effective for what it was. The character was realistic and I found myself relating to her in a way, not so much with the cultural issues but getting into senior year, figuring out what you want your future to be etc. I don't know what else to say other than it was an amazing story and I loved everything about it.
Oni
Feb 10, 2016 Oni rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, drama, screenplay
It was ok, but not very interesting.
Genre: drama/romance
Aus Classification: M (sexual references, coarse language)
Georgia Glanville
Jul 29, 2014 Georgia Glanville rated it liked it
slow beginning but worth it in the end. Kept you guessing and had a not so typical ending. Plus, I fell in love with Jacob Coote ;) Jacob Coote is cute Hahaha
Olivia
May 30, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it
A fun-loving book that nearly every seventeen year old could probably relate too! Josephine Alibrandi is an austrlian girl living in a bustling city and trying to deal with her annoying Italian Grandmother harping about her Austrlian ways... A classic tale that will be loved for many more generations
Taarn
Apr 06, 2011 Taarn rated it it was amazing
loved it - the plot was so real and the humor was entertaining. Josiphine is hilarious and i love the way her thoughts are so frank. i chose to do a book report thing on it for highschool level one english thing and there was alot to work with!
i recommend it to everyone.
Aiman
Apr 28, 2013 Aiman rated it really liked it
A good book about an Italian/Australain teenage girl going through family issues and year 12 with her single mother. The author Melina Marchetta has really gotten into writing as a teenage girl. Similar to the book Saving Francesca.
Lily  Bell
May 29, 2016 Lily Bell rated it really liked it
Incredible book had to read this for an essay and have fallen in love with the characters. Would recommend to anyone wanting to read a something about the difficulties of growing up and not fully knowing who you are.
An
Jul 31, 2013 An marked it as to-read
Shelves: teen
I think this book is about teens is about a teenage girl in her final years of doing her HSC and falls in love with a guy next door school.
Overall this book is enjoyable to read!!
Amanda
Oct 28, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
A good novel about Aussie teenagers growing up in Sydney. I read this in high school and loved it. A classic Australian YA novel. Would recommend to teenagers.
Run away brain
Apr 06, 2010 Run away brain rated it really liked it
This is the most amazing novel and movie i have ever seen and read. It is one of the most funniest things i have ever read! Good job!
papalbina
Sep 21, 2011 papalbina marked it as to-read
Shelves: in-english, aussie
Very interesting the introduction by Melina Marchetta. Now I understand the changes she made to the original story :)
Emily Coad
Mar 03, 2013 Emily Coad rated it it was amazing
I'm currently year 10 and we're studying this book at the moment in class, I love it! It's just so easy to relate to.
Patty
Jun 15, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing
This is a staple read for Young Adult literature in Australia. One of my favourites.
Luna
Sep 27, 2012 Luna rated it it was amazing
To word it simply - This book is and will always be one of my very favourites!
Jul 13, 2011 Laura added it
Such A FANTASTIC book full of excitment, love and sadness
Kourtneeyy
Mar 03, 2011 Kourtneeyy rated it it was ok
I'm reading this for english, It's pretty good
Emily Guest
May 31, 2012 Emily Guest rated it liked it
good book for people aged between 14-16.
Casey
Jun 19, 2011 Casey rated it it was amazing
All time favourite!!!! LOVE IT
Tia-louise
Apr 27, 2011 Tia-louise rated it liked it
This book was very heartfelt.
Jinnie  Lau
  • Never Say Die
  • Delicious! Vol. 1
  • Hating Alison Ashley
  • Wind In The Wires
  • The Cat's Eye Shell (Chain of Charms #4)
  • Beneath the Southern Cross
  • Mandragora
  • Monsoon
Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the ...more
More about Melina Marchetta...