Start by marking “Tales of Ten Worlds” as Want to Read:
Tales of Ten Worlds

Tales of Ten Worlds

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,425 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
This classic collection of short stories includes some of Clarke's finest work: vivid glimpses into the future, a year, a decade, a century, a millennium from now.
Published April 1st 1973 by Roc (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Ten Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Ten Worlds

Stephanie
Nov 22, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 15 short stories - well the last one is really a novelette - ranging from humorous, to thought-provoking, to melancholy. What comes out clearly in this collection is the breadth of Clarke's story-telling ability, his unique way of pulling you into each tale. Most people who are not "sci-fi" readers only know Clarke by 2001 - A Space Odyssey but he is so much more than that.

I enjoyed every story but the following stand out:

Summertime on Icarus - Clarke's description of the
Eddie Villanueva
Some pretty cool short stories about space and sci-fi stuff.
Ana Silva Rosa
Prose style: 3
Plot: 1
Depth of characters: 1
Originality: 3
Entertaining: 2
Emotional Reaction: 1
Intellectual Stimulation: 2

I didn't like this, ugh.
Rubén Lorenzo
Sep 17, 2015 Rubén Lorenzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi primer libro de Arthur C. Clarke. Me ha dejado buenas sensaciones en general, con relatos muy interesantes y otros intrascendentes.Por norma, el interés sube cuanto más páginas tiene la historia, excepción hecha del larguísimo y algo aburrido último relato.
Similar en su escritura a Asimov (sin llegar al nivel del maestro), tiene buenas ideas y una mente racional con las que plasmarlas.
Recomendable para aficcionados a la ciencia ficción.
Annelin Kristiane
Enkelte historier skilte seg positivt ut (den om den kunstneriske apen og den om liv på Venus f.eks.) men flere var småkjedelige og tok forever(seelv om det bare var korte historier, og de egentlig ikke var vanskelige å lese) å komme seg gjennom. Anbefales derfor bare for de som er spesielt interessert i klassisk sci-fi.
Nithyanand
Jan 07, 2016 Nithyanand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent anthology of his short stories. Not his best anthology -- those would be The Wind from the Sun, and The Sentinel, respectively. But this is still vintage Clarke.
Martin
Mar 30, 2015 Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is science fiction which is worth reading.
adrianoates
Read some. Don't like short stories
Miguel Torres

this is a very interesting book
Yubal Masalker
Oct 11, 2015 Yubal Masalker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read its Hebrew translation.
Danny
Sep 30, 2015 Danny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Make sure to read "Road to the Sea"
Scott
Oct 05, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first taste of hard science fiction. Of course after that I was hooked for life! I think I was about 11 when I bought it. That was around 1973. I didn't know anything about Arthur C. Clarke, The title intrigued me (wow, 10 worlds for 75 cents!) and I liked the cover. It showed space suited figures floating in a pink void. What happened to all that great cover art? Anyway, even though many of the short stories were too mature for me, I still got a foothold into the genre and I'm still a fan 40 ...more
Daniorte
Oct 01, 2014 Daniorte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Relatos cortos bastante escuetos y bastante lights. No hay ningún relato que te marque y en todos se me ha quedado la sensación de "¿Y ya está?". Son cuentecillos para matar el tiempo entre esperas en determinados momentos pero ya esta. Me parece a mi que el relato corto no es para nada lo mejor de Clarke
John Isaacson

The opening story "I remember Babylon" blew my mind! I totally thought it was real. Arthur C. Clarke refers to himself by his own name as he narrates this story about meeting a man at a party who predicts the rise of television as propaganda and mid-control. Rife with historical references, this story seems more fact than fiction. Arthur C. Clarke is a storyteller of the highest order, not to mention a visionary.
Christi
Feb 19, 2016 Christi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though we're not experiencing all the space travel that was referenced in the book for this time period, AC rarely disappoints. Some of those stories were thrilling, page turners! Thank goodness they haven't been ruined by making them into movies.
Nick
Aug 28, 2010 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Great collection of sci-fi. "Hate", The one about Venusian life, and the one about a cute ol' dawg were my favorites though I can't be bothered to look up the other two names at the moment.
Ian
Feb 27, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work.
Jenna
Arthur C. Clarke's fifteen fantastic shorty story. The master of science fiction, and it will fascinate any earthbound explorer of the orbit. :)
Peter
Mar 19, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthur-c-clarke
Short stories not my favourite. Yet this science fiction has won me over.A master in his class.
Mark Neumayer
Sep 07, 2011 Mark Neumayer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff but feels a touch dated (all of the stories are from 1962 or earlier)
Devero
Aug 04, 2013 Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raccolta di storie brevi, tutte con forti basi scientifiche, tutte ben riuscite.
Jesse Lambert
Apr 25, 2009 Jesse Lambert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Another great collection of short stories from the late great Arthur C. Clarke
Robin Gilbert
Nov 30, 2013 Robin Gilbert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Road to the Sea"; one of the best short stories I have read.
Charles
Jun 05, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Some of Clarke's work was done at the short story length.
Ella
Jul 24, 2007 Ella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: arthurcclarke
I love Arthur C. Clarke's short stories.
Jake
Mar 10, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kittens in space are terrifying.
Gerald
Gerald rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Vouch Deemer
Vouch Deemer marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • Traces
  • Artificial Things
  • The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag
  • The Book of Philip Jose Farmer
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Destination: Universe!
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • The Chains That You Refuse
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...