Start by marking “Tales of Ten Worlds” as Want to Read:
Tales of Ten Worlds

Tales of Ten Worlds

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,163 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This classic collection of short stories includes some of Clarke's finest work: vivid glimpses into the future, a year, a decade, a century, a millennium from now.
Published April 1st 1973 by Roc (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Ten Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Ten Worlds

Stephanie
This is a collection of 15 short stories - well the last one is really a novelette - ranging from humorous, to thought-provoking, to melancholy. What comes out clearly in this collection is the breadth of Clarke's story-telling ability, his unique way of pulling you into each tale. Most people who are not "sci-fi" readers only know Clarke by 2001 - A Space Odyssey but he is so much more than that.

I enjoyed every story but the following stand out:

Summertime on Icarus - Clarke's description of the
Originality: 3
Entertaining: 2
Emotional Reaction: 1
Intellectual Stimulation: 2

I didn't like this, ugh.
Otis Campbell
This collection, originally published in 1962, includes the following:
• "I Remember Babylon"
• "Summertime on Icarus"
• "Out of the Cradle, Endlessly Orbiting..."
• "Who's There?"
• "Hate"
• "Into the Comet"
• "An Ape about the House"
• "Saturn Rising"
• "Let There be Light"
• "Death and the Senator"
• "Trouble With Time"
• "Before Eden"
• "A Slight Case of Sunstroke"
• "Dog Star"
• "The Road to the Sea"
Martin Faktor
This is science fiction which is worth reading.
Scott
My first taste of hard science fiction. Of course after that I was hooked for life! I think I was about 11 when I bought it. That was around 1973. I didn't know anything about Arthur C. Clarke, The title intrigued me (wow, 10 worlds for 75 cents!) and I liked the cover. It showed space suited figures floating in a pink void. What happened to all that great cover art? Anyway, even though many of the short stories were too mature for me, I still got a foothold into the genre and I'm still a fan 40 ...more
Daniorte
Relatos cortos bastante escuetos y bastante lights. No hay ningún relato que te marque y en todos se me ha quedado la sensación de "¿Y ya está?". Son cuentecillos para matar el tiempo entre esperas en determinados momentos pero ya esta. Me parece a mi que el relato corto no es para nada lo mejor de Clarke
John Isaacson

The opening story "I remember Babylon" blew my mind! I totally thought it was real. Arthur C. Clarke refers to himself by his own name as he narrates this story about meeting a man at a party who predicts the rise of television as propaganda and mid-control. Rife with historical references, this story seems more fact than fiction. Arthur C. Clarke is a storyteller of the highest order, not to mention a visionary.
Nick
Great collection of sci-fi. "Hate", The one about Venusian life, and the one about a cute ol' dawg were my favorites though I can't be bothered to look up the other two names at the moment.
Ian
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work.
Jenna
Arthur C. Clarke's fifteen fantastic shorty story. The master of science fiction, and it will fascinate any earthbound explorer of the orbit. :)
Peter
Short stories not my favourite. Yet this science fiction has won me over.A master in his class.
Mark Neumayer
Good stuff but feels a touch dated (all of the stories are from 1962 or earlier)
Devero
Raccolta di storie brevi, tutte con forti basi scientifiche, tutte ben riuscite.
Jesse Lambert
Another great collection of short stories from the late great Arthur C. Clarke
Robin Gilbert
"The Road to the Sea"; one of the best short stories I have read.
Charles
Some of Clarke's work was done at the short story length.
Ella
Jul 24, 2007 Ella rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Fantasy fans
Shelves: arthurcclarke
I love Arthur C. Clarke's short stories.
Jake
Kittens in space are terrifying.
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Alexander Petretich
Alexander Petretich marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Filip
Filip marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • One Step from Earth
  • Traces
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Eye
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise