Start by marking “Bitter Gold Hearts” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Bitter Gold Hearts

Glen Cook

Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett Files #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,061 ratings  ·  61 reviews
The Stormwarden's children have been kidnapped and Garrett, P.I. is on the case. But caught between the bewitching beauty of a half-elf and the fearsome power of a horde of ogres, Garrett has to think twice before sacrificing all for a fortune in gold-after all, even in this enchanted land, he's only human.
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Bitter Gold Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter Gold Hearts

Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. The return of Garrett P.I. in the second installment of the "Garrett Files" series. While very similar in tone and plotting to the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher, I actually enjoy these books more as a result of the world that Glen Cook as created. It is basically a more noir version of Harry Dresden in a medieval fantasy world filled with ogres, elves, vampires, witches, giants, centaurs, etc.. A fun, fast read with a couple of good laughs along the way. Recommended!!
Bookwraiths
I enjoyed this book much more than the first one; Garrett is beginning to grow on me I suppose. Plus the actual "job" Garrett works on in this case just was more interesting to me: kidnapping which turns into multiple murders with numerous suspects. The ending was a bit hoo-hum, but other than that a good time killer.
Carly
**edited 01/29/14

After his last disastrous adventure (Sweet Silver Blues), Garrett, a human detective in a creative and chaotic city chock-full of sorcerers, elves, centaurs, ratmen, and more, is back to just back to trying to make a living in the big city. However, when a beautiful and mysterious half-fey girl turns up in his office, he has a premonition things are about to get complicated. The girl offers him an enormous amount of money to consult on the kidnapping of the son of one of the mos
Mary
This series is not for everybody. There is a bittersweet undertone that makes them worth reading - and re-reading - but you have to have a certain amount of... life experience, I guess, to really get it.

The cynical take on war, immigration, and the economics thereof could have been written yesterday. Yet, the series began in 1987.

Very prescient, but then Glen Cook has an almost depressingly accurate understanding of human nature.

Also, although the dead Loghyr is supposed to be the center of the
Michael Hall
Continuing on with the Garrett series and I'm enjoying every page along the way. This book certainly improved upon the formula of the first one. Garrett is back at it with his whimsical cynicism and mystery within mystery adventures that leave you guessing till the very end. The only complaint here is the very end was a bit anti-climatic with too much dialogue about things hidden from the reader. Hopefully that's not a gimmick the author will use regularly, because I'm really liking this charact ...more
Lori
This is the second in a long-running series that is one of my all-time favorites. The twisty plots and interesting characters make each book a great read. It focuses on a former Marine, Garrett, who now works as a private investigator in a fantasy-styled city named TunFaire. This one has Garrett tied up with the inner problems of one of the rich and powerful of the city, who also happens to be a sorceress. This dysfunctional family drives our hero to distraction and to disastrous consequences.
Joey O'Donnell
Hard-boiled detective noir set in a pre-industrial fantasy world? Seems to work out pretty well. This could almost be stock urban fantasy except that it isn't set in Atlanta or Chicago. It's set in TunFaire, where elves and dwarves and ogres and humans and halfbreeds and all sorts of other things coezist with all of the racial problems that might go with such a mix. Garrett is a PI working in the city and gets roped into various cases.

In BGH, his case starts off as a kidnapping and quickly runs
Ben
Glen Cook does a pretty good job mixing classic detective noir with a low fantasy world. The main character is a cynical private investigator with a good heart underneath; there are plenty of scoundrels (human, non, and partially), a kidnapping, unexplained deaths, and double crosses. All good components of a classic detective story. Cook manages to work the fantasy elements in fairly well, and gives just enough of the world so the reader has a fair idea where the main character stands.

I thought
Keven
I liked the first Garrett, P.I. novel well enough to pick up the second - and that was a good decision on my part. While i enjoyed the first one, I never really developed a strong emotional connection with Garrett or the other characters. They seemed a bit flat, and overly stereotypical (or perhaps overly archetypical would be a more apt description). But either because of the writing, or because I came into book #2 with some previous experience with the characters, I found myself really liking ...more
Sebastien
Immédiatement après avoir fini de lire le premier roman de cette série, j'ai commencer le second livre en espérant qu'il soit un peu plus travaillé que le premier livre.

C'est assez sidérant de voir la différence directement dans les premières pages du livre, meilleur prose, meilleur écriture, meilleur descriptions et surtout une histoire et un style qui se tient beaucoup plus.

Cette fois-ci on a plus l'impression de lire un roman policier/aventure fantaisie qu'une aventure plus ou moins intéressa
Justus
I have a (almost entirely unsatisfied) sweet tooth for alt-noir detective stuff like this. That is, I like it in theory but the reality never lives up to what I crave. The Garrett Files aren't as good as Raymond Chandler. I realize that's about as cutting a criticism as saying a play isn't as good as Shakespeare.

There is nothing terribly bad about Bitter Gold Hearts. The weaknesses are the same weaknesses that all detective series have: the same sidekicks get recycled every book, for instance. T
Richard Gorton
As with most of Glen Cook's books, the story is imaginative, and well told. Without being a spoiler, the interplay between Garrett and the Dead Man is humorous. One delightfully descriptive phrase regarding a different character is "tell to go pick her nose with her elbow". Garrett is clearly someone who does not tolerate the self-important
Text Addict
I'm not sure why I like this one better than the first one ... I think maybe the plot held together better for me, and it was more mystery-like than the first one.

On another note, partway through I started wondering if the Dead Man is some kind of homage to Nero Wolf. That was a little distracting.
Xeddicus
Pretty good, 'cept for the retread of the same exact resolution action-wise to the climax as the first book not once, but twice, and it's kind of odd Red was out of town in a world with no cars or planes...just in time for the femme fatales with (mostly) hearts of gold to show up.
Natalie
Not as bad as Sweet Silver Blues but still with many sigh-worthy moments. I think the titles are the best thing about this series.
Red Wolf
I enjoyed this book better than book one. I like that not everything always works out. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. Other times you are right in the middle. More like reality, in a fantasy story.
Diana K Rice
Good read

This series is engaging and I can't wait to go on the next case. Garrett and his gang of cohorts are the stuff a good read is all about.
Nicole
Just as good as the first with the same faults. An easy and enjoyable read in an interesting world, I look forward to reading more of these books.
Janna Avon
Beautiful, bitter ending. It made my heart ache like Philip Marlowe looking at knights in chess. I loved it.
Bob Schumaker
I enjoyed this entire series immensely. I grab the next one as soon as I see it!
Wm
I'm starting to buy that the sexism is intentional.
Mark
The second Garrett novel takes a turn down the mean streets of TunFaire in a Chandler-esque story that is as dark as Polanski's Chinatown and as colorful as your old Dungeons and Dragons game sessions. If you haven't read any of Glen Cook's books, you really should. Dizzying plots, unique characters, and Garrett in the middle of it all, stirring the plot with a wry quip or a smart-ass remark.
Psychophant
This is the second book about PI Garrett, classic noir with a fantasy twist. The author slowly shows up the fantasy side of the tale, though they are quite important, and we get to see some magic.

The plot is classic, with blinds, red herrings, and a quest for revenge and coin, etc, but with Ogres playing the role of thugs, a mage as the powerful backer, and despite the twists, quite predictable.

It is a bit formulaic, but the fantasy elements and how well they mesh with the rest of the plot help
Nicholas
Another fantasy P.I. novel executed quite competently.
Richard
A great mystery, good characters, and just enough fantasy to wrap it into a nice bundle. Garrett is invited by important personages to investigate a kidnapping that quickly resolves itself only for everything to then spiral out of control, now Garrett's got corpses, suspects, and a lot of questions that need to be answered. Theres Excellent storytelling in these books and im really enjoying the series so far, got the next one on order and can't wait to read it.
Chris
Unlike the first in this series this book suffers a bit of a lag time. It starts of slow and struggles a bit to catch up to the pace the first book had established for this character and his world. After it caught up and picked up it's pace it didn't disappoint but that lag almost made me give up on reading it. I'm glad I stuck it out and like Garret I didn't figure out the whole story until the Dead Man revealed it in the end. It gets a 4 out of 5.
Nathan
Jun 11, 2008 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want a good, fun read
Shelves: reviewed-2008
The second book in the Garrett Files: If you liked the first, this one won't disappoint.

It's another, gritty but fun ride through a world populated by realistic and likeable characters, real villains, and moral dilemmas.

Nothing particularly noteworthy that will encourage you to start a Garrett Files fan site, but one of the better (and more amusing) ways you can spend a couple of hours if you're partial to books.

Mei
Brilliant. The second book doesn't disappoint as you get to know Garrett, P.I. and the motley cast of characters better. This case is much more convoluted than the first, but immensely satisfying to read. Funny in parts, with just the right blend of sarcasm and humour blended in, assorted low-lifes, shady characters and devastating females. Just the right combination for me.
Alan
An excellent followup to Sweet Silver Blues, Garrett's world is expanded, and his character as well. We are shown that he is considered honorable by the underworld as well as by the nobs on the hill. A good read.
  • The Sword-Edged Blonde (Eddie LaCrosse, #1)
  • A World of Hurt (Starfist, #10)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #5)
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • The Quantum Connection (Warp Speed, #2)
  • Stalking The Unicorn
  • Ghosts in the Snow (Dubric Bryerly, #1)
  • The Sea is Full of Stars (Saga of the Well World, #6)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more
More about Glen Cook...

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Whispering Nickel Idols (Garrett P.I., #11)
The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1) Chronicles of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1-3) The White Rose (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #3) Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2) The Books of the South: Tales of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4-6)

“...let the gods distinguish between the wiched and the merely incompetent.” 1 likes