Start by marking “10 Things You Might Not Know About Nearly Everything” as Want to Read:
10 Things You Might Not Know About Nearly Everything

10 Things You Might Not Know About Nearly Everything

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Published May 10th 2012 by Agate Digital

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Things You Might Not Know About Nearly Everything

Bob
Oct 24, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book for trivia fans, of which i am one. But even for an avid fan of useless information, this book is just too much. It's list after list of things in all areas of interest from sport to science. Since it's a product of the Chicago Tribune newspaper, much of the trivia revolves around that city. I began this book eagerly gobbling up the factoids, but after the first 20 or so lists, i found myself scanning them or only reading particular lists that held special interest to me. Too much ...more
Monique
Mar 04, 2015 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing what you can get done on a snow day. This book was free at the time on my kindle and caught my interest. You see my husband always knows useless information and I thought this would give me a one up on him. In a few ways it will but most of all it helped in increasing my tweets. Oh, I did get a few facts that will help me impress my students. Not to mention that I learned a ton of things that I didn't know...
Jan 20, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Saying I read this book is misleading. It was my husband's Kindle purchase that he shared with me. I read the sections that interested me, and skimmed through the rest (ie: the parts about Chicago). It was interesting enough -- similar to a long article on Facebook -- and I'm glad I didn't spend either my own money nor more than one evening on it.
Bob Cantrell
Feb 28, 2015 Bob Cantrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There were things I didn't know

I found this book full of many interesting factions. Some of them I had prior knowledge and some I had not heard of before. I don't want to try and go into great deal on the factions presented here, but I will say if you are trivial junkie like I am then read this book. It was funny reading. There was only one shortcoming in this book and that was the same facts were presented twice in some chapters, but I did not find these to be a big problem as they came in diff
Leslie
Jan 09, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book. It is easy to read filled with wondrous bits of useless information and well researched and footnoted. There is a Chicago- centric bend to it but its from a Chicago Tribune writer.

I definitely learned from it.
Patti Miller
Jan 10, 2015 Patti Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are definitely a few repeats on the lists, but it is a quick fun read.
Caitlin
This is a very interesting book. You can choose to read a little at a time because it is just a book of lists. It was fun for me to read a couple of lists every night. what I liked most about the book was it got me thinking because some of the facts in the lists were unbelievable and very interesting. The lists did get a little long after a while but it was still a fun read

It was a very fun, and interesting book.
John
Jan 26, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

I love trivia and find books like this one fun and informative. These lists were taken from their Chicago Tribune column, and I think the columns here were their best so far. I'm hoping there will be a Volume 2.
Beth Olson shultz
A great trivia type book. Recommend this to all trivia fans.
Ann
Jan 10, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is filled with lots of interesting facts.
Amy  Katherine Brown
Fascinating

What an interesting book! With information on so many various topics and people, it was a great read! I love facts and trivia, so I found this book fascinating!
Michael Brown
Aug 23, 2014 Michael Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book of facts and trivia in bite size bits
Melissa
Only gave this 3 stars because some of the lists were of no interest to me and I skimmed past them. But it was a free book so I shouldn't complain too much. Overall there were many factoids that appealed to my nerdy fact-loving self.
Kerry
Jan 12, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
I found this book vastly interesting. There are so many different topics that are covered that everyone should find something of interest in here. The only downfall were the double entries in a couple different categories. Disappointing to use them twice, instead of finding a new fact!
Elizabeth Olson
Nov 16, 2012 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it
Lots of fun for dipping into in short bursts, great for trvia-game players and who just likes entertaining factoids. Its lists of 10 Things You Didn't Know About... are slightly Chicago-centric, but not off-puttingly so for non residents of the Windy City.
Michael Laflamme
Sep 29, 2015 Michael Laflamme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating read worth a second pass.

There are notations here about most facets of human life. Every corner in this book reveals unexpected surprises and the topics covered range near and far. Cool!
Irishros Naser
Jan 11, 2014 Irishros Naser rated it liked it
Interesting tidbits. Too much on Chicago.
Jeni
Aug 29, 2012 Jeni rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This was a fun and quick read. The sections are short and interesting with something for everyone.

I read it on the nook which is awesome for taking notes to share with people later.
Amanda
Aug 21, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
I thought this would be more fun than it was. About every 10th item was fascinating.
Robert Lewter
Mar 30, 2015 Robert Lewter rated it really liked it
I guess it would be super interesting if you were from Chicago.
Chris
Oct 06, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Some entries were old and dated. For the most part interesting.
SheLove2Read
Jun 05, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I am now a fountain of useless information. ;-)
*andrejcick*
*andrejcick* rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
David Henry
David Henry rated it it was amazing
David
David rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Laurianne Uy
Laurianne Uy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
  • Ideas That Changed the World
  • Greatest Clicks: A Dog Photographer's Best Shots
  • In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do to Stop It
  • Stuffed: An Insider's Look at Who's (Really) Making America Fat
  • Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language & Life
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Stories Behind the Great Traditions of Christmas
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • Release
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • Mirror for Humanity: A Concise Introduction to Cultural Anthropology, with PowerWeb
  • Thirty-Eight Witnesses: The Kitty Genovese Case
  • A Writer's Guide to Characterization: Archetypes, Heroic Journeys, and Other Elements of Dynamic Character Development
  • Daughters of Absence: Transforming a Legacy of Loss
  • Teen-Proofing: Fostering Responsible Decision Making in Your Teenager
  • Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World
  • Options for the Beginner and Beyond: Unlock the Opportunities and Minimize the Risks (Financial Times (Prentice Hall))
  • Life Is Short And So Is This Book
Author of books on photography, baseball, Chicago history, and the American Revolution. Longtime Chicago journalist is deputy metro editor at the Chicago Tribune, where he is co-author of the popular feature "10 Things You Might Not Know."
More about Mark Jacob...

“Public service announcements were first created by the Ad Council during World War II to get Rosie to work and to tighten loose lips. In 1971, on the second Earth Day, the world met “the crying Indian,” played by Iron Eyes Cody. The famous anti-pollution ad, which showed Cody paddling a canoe and watching motorists litter, effectively gave the new ecology movement a huge boost. As it turns out, Cody was of Italian descent (real name Espera DeCorti), but he appeared in hundreds of movies and TV shows as a Native American and denied his European ancestry until his death in 1999.” 1 likes
“A 1655 book by English physician Thomas Muffett advocated torturing animals before slaughter to make them more tender as food. The book said animals should be killed slowly and painfully, with “fear dissolving the hardest parts.” 0 likes