Start by marking “Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)

Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  39,666 Ratings  ·  6,228 Reviews
The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet he
Published June 17th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co.

To ask other readers questions about Ruin and Rising, please sign up.

Sarah YES. Why do people think this was a satisfying ending? It was cliched, predictable and worse - it's mediocrity left me agitated.
I wish the author…more
I wish the author would have come up with an ending that was .. darker and less predictable. A more unconventional happy ending or even an open ending would have been better.(less)
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
18th out of 2,667 books — 15,923 voters
YA Novels of 2014
12th out of 1,526 books — 8,826 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren DeStefano
Jun 17, 2014 Lauren DeStefano rated it it was amazing
Some people will tell you this book is good. This is a lie. This book is not good. One night, Good was sitting at home in his recliner, listening to Bach and having a nice cool chardonnay. The doorbell rang, and as soon as Good answered the door, in his red velvet robe, this book punched Good in the face. This book kicked Good's ass. Good begged for his life as this book's shadow covered his quavering body. This book just laughed and persisted with its merciless annihilation. Good died from this ...more
Wendy Darling
They had an ordinary life, full of ordinary things--if love can ever be called that.

Oh, and Leigh Bardugo talked to me about the glorious, glorious food of the Grisha trilogy here during this fairy tale lunch: http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2014...
Khanh (the Grinch)
I AM SO PISSED. I AM SO PISSED.

Please allow me the indulgence of using an extended metaphor to describe this series.

The first book is the first stages of love. It's not true love, but infatuation. You are ensnared by his looks, enamored by everything he does. His quirks are adorable. His faults are overlooked because it's a part of who he is. It's part of what makes him special. So what if he has a habit of scratching his ass in public? It's cute.

The second book is the "settling in" stage of the
Aqsa
UPDATE:
Okay so for those of you (like myself) who were disappointed with this ^ piece of disgusting garbage- GO READ THE
"A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES" series by Sarah J. Maas.
"A COURT OF MIST AND FURY" in particular, I should say-- as that book really sets the stage.

I promise you it is worth every word. GO READ IT NOW.

All the past angst and bitterness is beyond this spoiler tag.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
That was an interesting conclusion to the trilogy. I can't say I'm super satisfied with how things came together, but it was still enjoyable! My main gripe with this series is it's lack of plot. I wanted more from the story, all three books feel like this build up to the ending, but nothing happens during those build up moments. (obviously this is just my opinion, you don't have to agree with me!)
Katerina
May 25, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
*5 "you might make me a better man" stars*

Agony.Pain.Tears.Heartbreak.Acceptance.This is the way the Grisha trilogy ends.

A masterpiece.A gem.Leigh Bardugo gave everything she had in this grand finale.I'm numb and empty inside.I want to sit in silence and contemplate what happened and figure out the reasons why.I came to the conclusion that things were meant to end this way from the start.A battle of
Andreea Pop
REVIEW:

Actual rating: 3.5 Stars

So. I am conflicted. I initially gave Ruin And Rising 4 stars. After like half an hour of deliberating and second-guessing my rating, I switched it to 3 stars. If you'll ask me in a week, I'll probably say it was a 4 star read. So to be honest, I think it's a 3.5 from me. There are several reasons why I did this to the last book of one of my favorite series EVER and I'm gonna complain about every one of them, so if I start writing in CAPS, please understand that I'
Ashley
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. EXTREME RANTING AHEAD.

This is a very sexy man AKA the Darkling:

And this is what I think about this sexy man AKA the Darkling:
description

And this perfectly describes how I feel about the ending:

Andresa Sofia
Jun 18, 2014 Andresa Sofia rated it it was ok
Natalia
I've never been more disappointed with a book in my life. Probably because I've invested too much of my heart into this story and I expected to get at least something in return. This isn't the worst book out there, but the amount of potential squandered, the idea of what it could have been - it all makes me want to weep. I expected so much more from Leigh, but in the end, it turned out to be just another trope-ridden YA series.

More rant coming later.

***

We have a true cover, and everything is on
Darth J
In this finale, you'll find more incomprehensible nouns.

A previously important phoenix plot that quickly fizzles out.

Some weird girl who used to be beautiful is now ugly muddled body positivity message.

Mal gets a dumb tattoo on his back that roughly translates to "I am become a blade" or some other crap, and it just makes me think of a lot of my millennial friends who have regrettable tats just because they think it makes them look badass.
What they think they look like:

What they actually look l
Dulcie
Jun 26, 2014 Dulcie rated it it was ok
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
T.S. Eliot

What a perfect encapsulation of this miserable conclusion.

I thought I had prepared myself mentally for the worst of scenarios. Even as I prayed desperately for a satisfying ending to my favorite YA series of all time, I readied myself for every possible emotion: For devastation. For despair. For my soul to be raked over the coals until it became a shriveled, blackened thing so that I could never feel happiness again.

I was
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Right, so it's been about a month since Ruin and Rising came out, but I know there are still a lot of you who haven't had a chance to read it yet, so NO SPOILERS.

I will, however, be using my trademark vague-ery to discuss the issues I had with this book. There are three. FYI. I may also have a rant (I haven't decided yet), but if I do, I promise that you'll have to CLICK ON IT to be able to read it. Moving on.

I love the X-Men.

I'd like to say that I've loved them since I w
Kiki
Liz
Nov 16, 2014 Liz rated it did not like it
Before the Review:
Dear Whoever-is-reading-this,
If you passionately love the entire series or this book I'd strongly recommend you to stop reading right here.
Yep. Here.
Exactly, don't scroll down for you will most likely don't like what I am going to say next and I hate to deal with comments that try to prove how awesome this book/series is. It might be awesome to you, but it isn't to me. And this review is entirely subjective so you won't persuade me anyway.
Thank you!

"Review" Or "An attempt
Maggie
Jun 15, 2014 Maggie marked it as to-read
Update; 6/10/2014

After finding out whats gonna happen, no way i'm reading this shit. This fucking sucks.

8/11/2013

So after reading some reviews, I have been advised to start these series after the last one comes out. There are too many hot men coming in and out and it's already painful/torturous to read a book with a love triangle, LET ALONE A LOVE SQUARE

But is it a bad thing I'm rooting for the Darkling, even though some say he's way past the point of redemption?

Demi
Moral of the story: A woman should never show more strength and power than her boyfriend. Ladies, you must give up everything so you can be with your man.

The end.

....

Also, fuck any defense for this ending. The fucking title is "Ruin and Rising", and by naming the book this, Leigh Bardugo completely misled everyone into believing this book would be something its not.

Read this if you like heavily contrived romance that the actual plot suffers for.
Sofii♡
Apr 02, 2016 Sofii♡ rated it it was amazing

This will be difficult to explain because in fact I feel very nostalgic by the end of this trilogy that won my heart without my noticing it. But now that I am saying goodbye to the characters seriously I can say that I already miss them so much

description

This book has won all the stars in my opinion for the great growth of the characters through it. They have been courageous and strong at all times and I loved
Victoria
Not really sure what to say.

In short:

karen
Aug 25, 2014 karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
"You are on your knees, " I said. "We are not negotiating."

i am pretty damned pleased with the way this third part wrapped up. after a kind of milquetoasty first book, bardugo kicked some ass with the second one, smearing pain and suffering all over her characters with a gleeful cackle. and it doesn't let up in this here third part. this one begins with alina in a very bad place, and it's all "oh no!! how is she going to get herself out of this??" and then - "oh, like THAT!" and it's perfection.
Hannah (The Curiouser & Curiouser)
Updated: 6/27/14

Rating: 4.5 Stars

If you’re taking the time out of your day to read this, but don’t actually want to read it, I’ll go ahead and make my reaction/experience with this book into multiple gifs. Enjoy. If, by chance, you do wish to actually read my review, I will also write that with no spoilers, promise. (I might die while writing, though, because of my smothering feels. So if this is half finished and it ends dramatically in the middle of a sentence like An Imperial Affliction, you
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
“If only I’d known you’d prove such an apt pupil.”

This was an incredible conclusion to The Grisha trilogy! It was a fast-pased, emotional, twist-filled read that had me turning the pages faster and faster, yet reluctant to finish Alina's story.

The capital has fallen. The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and cave
P.Z.
May 22, 2016 P.Z. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult

2.5 Stars I LOVED THIS BOOK AND I HATED IT IN THE MEANTIME. Ruin and Rising is the most boring installment of this series with its defectiveness of mind-blowing scenes and schemes. There're schemes in this book, but they're too shallow and even if they have yet to start doing that plan, I know it's meant to fail. Alina Starkov is a wimp through this book, she's not dependent on her own, but she always
Ash Wednesday
3 STARS
”It’s not overselling if you deliver.”

I’m very reluctant to call the overselling but I also won’t go as far to say that this delivered.

And if I had a Lannister gold nickel every time I start my review with having conflicting feelings about a book, I’d be able to afford a new book to have conflicting feelings about.

That being said, I am very conflicted towards this book. On the one hand, I feel I should have at least re-read Siege and Storm before giddily diving into this. On another han
infinite-hyperion
Nov 17, 2014 infinite-hyperion rated it it was ok
This book was a massive insult to my time as someone who had previously enjoyed this series. I didn't expect this book to be great, but I hoped it would at least provide a satisfactory conclusion to Alina's story.

Alas, it seems I was tricked into believing this was a narrative about empowerment instead of a convoluted "get back in the kitchen your love interest is threatened by your power" narrative.

The moral I took from the story:

You know that dude who doesn't respect you or believe in your
Kim  *Mo Chridhe*
Jun 26, 2014 Kim *Mo Chridhe* rated it really liked it

Almost.

I took my time reading the last quarter of this book because the heart wrenching scenes were too good. The FEELS! I ugly sobbed when the talons and the dark ink appeared. I had my tragically-dependent-love-songs-playlist on repeat in the Mal/Alina scenes. I have to admit, I really liked Mal here, not because he was all heroic and self-sacrificing but my heart always bleeds for the tortured soul. I even loved the cheese! I wished (view spoiler)
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Five colossal stars!!!

I don’t think there are words I could use to give proper acclamation of the beauty of this book or of this entire series for that matter. I feel like I’ve found my next favorite fantasy series after the Infernal Devices.

Truth be told, I set my expectations low for this final installment of the sequel because well, finales are either usually amazing or disappointing but more often, the latter. But this book is a dramatic exception!!! It was truly very wise of the autho
Maxwell
Nov 26, 2015 Maxwell rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, kindle, 2015
My feelings towards this book, and this series in general, are fairly ambivalent. It's a really entertaining story, and the fantasy world is unique and well-crafted. But it seriously lacks any sort of emotional depth. There's something about the fast-paced narrative and focus on political/religious themes that keeps the characters from becoming more than just pawns on a gameboard. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, as long as you aren't looking for characters to really connect with.

T
Rebecca
I have no idea where to begin with this review. I learned a few things early on about R&R, stuff I wasn't exactly liking, but I've been anticipating it for two years now and I was going to read it anyway. I had absolute faith in the last installment of the Grisha trilogy. Shadow & Bone was probably my favorite read of 2012. I would love to say R&R was great. Five stars, a stunning conclusion and all that. Sadly, I cannot say it honestly. This book has left me feeling confused, annoye ...more
Katerina Kondrenko
9 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog Living A Thousand Lives (please use Chrome/Yandex browser or Android/IOS to see the page; otherwise, spoiler-tags I use to make my post compact may not work)

Genre: high-fantasy, YA
Stuff: Russian language and culture, elemental magic
Fail: Russian-absurdity, the Darkling’s you know what
WOW: word-building, twists, emotional moment
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus War, #2)
  • Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Split Second (Pivot Point, #2)
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy, #3)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
Leigh Bardugo is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising).

She was born in Jerusalem, grew up in Los Angeles, and graduated from Yale University, and has worked in advertising, journalism, and most recently, makeup and special effects. These days, she’s lives and writes in Hollywood where she can occasionally
More about Leigh Bardugo...

The Grisha (3 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)

“I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until you have no shelter but mine.” 398 likes
Na razrusha'ya. I am not ruined. E'ya razrushost. I am ruination.” 375 likes