Start by marking “A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)

A Sword from Red Ice (L'Épée des ombres #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,941 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
The Long Night has begun. The Endlords and their dark army of Unmade prepare to unleash untold destruction upon the world. Every Sull warrior must step forward and fight, or risk the North falling into eternal darkness.

Key to mankind’s survival is the sacred warrior Ash March. But for Ash to realise her true potential as a Reach, and become the Sull’s greatest weapon, she
Published December 6th 2007 by Orbit (first published 2007)

brin murray
Really liked the first two I read - the grey ice and black ice, grey fortress and black cavern ( all so confusing) - Jones does write with a terrific sense of place and some evocative use of language.... but this one? It's one thing to give the reader a sense of place, quite another when the description of that place takes over from story. Am only 25% in on my kindle, but the amount that has actually happened could be detailed without losing too much in around 50 words. And that's 150 pages read ...more
Del de la Mare
Nov 21, 2013 Del de la Mare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great instalment in this series by J V Jones.

I am totally gripped with wondering what will happen with all the various characters in the book.

I must say I am so cross with Ash, fancy giving it up to that creep Fallstar.

She should have waited for Raif, he waited for her.

Some great stories within stories, if I had any criticism it is that due to the large number of characters it is difficult to progress each persons story fully within one book and I never get enough of any one persons
Dave
Jan 01, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two books which were good enough to continue to the third. The first 100 pages or so of this book were spent reminding the reader of where each character left off from the previous book. I hate this kind of lazy writing and find it insults my intelligence. I understand that book releases in a series may take a year or years, but I don't like being spoon feed reminders of what has already been covered thru the first 20% of a book.

My main frustration which was noted by other revie
Dark-Draco
Jan 21, 2016 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-series
So, the third book in the series. Knowing that there would be a lot of rambling, with chapters that didn't advance the story a lot and loads of characters, I kind of relaxed into this one more and found myself enjoying it a lot more than book 2.

The End night still seems to be coming, although it is taking its time! Raif firstly travels with the Maimed Men, then the Lamb Brothers, back to the Maimed Men and then off into the Badlands to find an sword buried under some red ice, reputedly the only
Chernz
Apr 27, 2016 Chernz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
And we're back once again!

A Sword from Red Ice picks back up (much like A Fortress of Gray Ice) from the exact ending of the previous book in the Sword of Shadows series. And that's not the only thing it shares with its predecessor either- if you've read Fortress you pretty much know what to expect from this next installment.

This is another slow burner, a glacial chunk of a book, where things happen slowly and purposefully and we grind along to another ending that occurs abruptly and doesn't pro
Andy
Hmmm, disappointing in the end, this was due to be a trilogy.

On the whole this felt more a filler until the main action in the 4th (and hopefully final) installment....

Nicely written though.
Kalle
Nov 21, 2014 Kalle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The third novel in the Sword of Shadows trilogy suffers from some of the typical issues that plague series that run longer than a trilogy. The protagonists are spread all over the map, and no storyline can be solved as things must be continued in the next novel as well, and there are more characters than can be written about.

However, I did like A Sword from Red Ice. While I agree with most of the other reviews that it's a book where "nothing happens", I enjoyed both the style and the intriguing
Monica Baker
Mar 08, 2016 Monica Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third in this series drew me in and kept me turning pages at a very high rate. I enjoyed many of the characters who we get to know better in this book, particularly Raina and Effie. However, much of the book was predictable, and reading answered how, with what or if pretty much already in the bag. This didn't exactly detract from the experience, but it's the problem with heavy forshadowing and stories working on prophecies. When someone is born to a task there is no mystery to be uncovered, ...more
Dan Smyth
This is the third book book in a newly proposed five-book series. It took a LONG time for this book to be finished--some five years. The author has said that the process of writing this book was a learning period for her, and that she felt that she came out a better writer on the back end. I have to agree with her in some respects. Her writing ability, as apparent in this book, is noticeably better than her previous books. Her characters are detailed, her world is full of history and lore and co ...more
Martin Wilson
Jun 12, 2013 Martin Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was the book that convinced me to drop this series. Cavern of Black Ice drew me in, and I suffered through Fortress of Grey Ice, carried by the enthusiasm and affection the first book had given me. A Sword from Red Ice, being more of the same poorly paced nonsense as Fortress of Grey Ice, finally killed my affection.

As with the previous two books I read them this one several years ago so if I have misremembered any details I apologise. I have not, however, misremembered the profound disappo
Mzungo
Sep 17, 2013 Mzungo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you kidding me that this series is not over in three books!? Ridiculous. I like a great world building fantasy, but Jones falters. Instead of using the extra prose to add texture to the world, she belabors the mundane and needlessly drags the story. It makes reading it painful at times. And then, when it comes to the climax, its over in one, maybe two, pages. It really comes down to Jones's inability to write a solid action scene. So instead, she just goes on and on about nothing.

I picked up
Nem
Nov 04, 2014 Nem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dammit JV Jones, why must you torture Raif so. I just want to bundle him up in cotton wool and protect him from the world. I dread to think what lies in store for him in the books to come. I enjoyed this book, though not quite as much as I did the first two. I think perhaps it was because I became infuriated by Ash's poor life choices. I understand she lived a sheltered childhood, but she is too naive and trusts too easily. I also grew tired of the repeated sex scenes, which seemed rather out of ...more
Leon
Jun 29, 2014 Leon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another installment that goes nowhere. After a valiant struggle, I decided to drop this series. One can dally about in the snow and forests for only so long. The whining of the various characters (particularly the wimps from Blackhail) is getting on my nerves. For my own sanity, it's best that I leave this. Now.
Kerry
Sep 28, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series continues to be excellent. There have been some complaints from other readers about the slow progression of the story. It is building to a climax, but not rapidly. I think the biggest problem in this series is the length of time between publications. Fortunately this is no longer an issue since J V Jones's is supposedly finishing the fifth book in the series this year (2012).

I have so many favorite characters, Raif, Ash,, Effie, and Raina, to mention a few. Each are on his or her ow
Stretch's Books
Oct 09, 2013 Stretch's Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
I enjoyed "A Sword From Red Ice", I did. Really. Just one problem with this book. The long book doesn't move J.V. Jones' epic "Sword of Shadows" series along much at all.

I am fixing to move on to book four, "Watcher of the Dead" today. I am praying that it takes the entire story somewhere. I would hate to stop reading the series after three books because the story is just too drawn out.

Other than that, "A Sword From Red Ice" is another excellent offering from Jones. She has a talent for bringing
Abikoye Olufemi
Worst of the three books. Story moved too slow. The characters developed in the slow pace as the book. once and far between. Raif development being the worst. This could have been compressed into the second book. Still enjoyed reading it.
Bogdan Nicolae Capitanoiu
Is it still surprising?
Can’t say, but yeah…sort of, come on, read it, yeah it is.
I see huge potential in the Red Blade storyline… I mean they way is being found(spoiler in the title) has so much potential for becoming interesting and push the main arc further, of course following intriguing avenues (ambiguous non spoiling statement).

Is thee any plot progression?
Yeah, totally, I guess the characters are definitely getting more in charge of their destiny…
(little sister evolution is quite nicely an
Michael
Ok, this one dragged quite a bit. It seems like everyone in the story is on a terrible journey through the wilderness, which is not what I am in the mood for at the moment. It got downright depressing!
Graham
Mar 29, 2014 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book from the series followed the excellent trend of its predecessors.

There are some fantastic characters in the series yet I longed for more on Raif.

Bram, Raina, Ash and Effie have interesting stories and I wanted more of Angus Lok and less on Marafice Eye. The Dog Lord's story is interesting as well and as I have said in many of my reviews on these epic series - I know to be an outstanding epic there must be depth to the story including a world of characters and in the end it is wo
Stuart Macmartin
Fuller world than previous books, and ultimately more satisfying, but I was more willing to put it down for the night. drawn in by Effie but don't care much for the despairing Blackhail. At least she finally took action. Yet another oath breaker, but why did the chief allow Bram to take the oath when she seems to have wanted him to break it? Puzzle for another book perhaps.

Let me guess: there's a sword we need to find. It's cold and winter is staying. Bram seems to be a like able misfit. Raids f
Allison
Dec 04, 2007 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Series readers
Another excellent entry in the Sword of Shadows series (I heard there will be 5 books?). Not quite as action packed in some ways (the Dog Lord just kind of sits there for the book), but some excellent character development. Looks like Raina will finally come into her own. However, I only gave it 4 stars because there are some inconsistencies that die-hards like myself will pick up (e.g., Vaylo's grandson's name suddenly changed and other minor plot details). Jones should have a better editor. Ca ...more
Nerine Dorman
Nov 29, 2010 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted, this is not the first in the series and Jones is a masterful storyteller so that I didn't feel the loss of not having read the entire series. In the same style as GRR Martin, Jones tells the story from the points of view of a huge cast of characters, but I think each reader will end up with their favourite. World-building is spectacular and main characters all have harrowing experiences. Possibly of the best, well-realised epic fantasy I've encountered in a while. I'll definitely read t ...more
Michael Knudsen
Jun 06, 2010 Michael Knudsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the big "immersion" fantasies and this is one of the best. It could be argued that not much happens in this 700+ page book in terms of action, but the characters become much more deeply developed and I can only trust that the author has massive payoffs planned for the final two volumes. Jones is a master at ending chapters with a cliffhanger, which I know annoys a lot of people but for me it works as a mechanism to keep reading. I for one can't wait to find out what happens next with Raif ...more
Chomal
Jan 23, 2013 Chomal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
The third book of SoS series and the sequel to A Fortress of Grey Ice. I could say I enjoyed this more than the second which has been based on a relatively slow pace and an unacceptable end to the cruelest beast from Blind. This book was better though at one point I felt like people, regardless their suspicions, easily gave information to Raif. But overall it's a must read for those who are into the series. An elegant piece of work by J.V.Jones.
Katie
Apr 15, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the SWORD OF SHADOWS series. It is a good addition, furthering the stories of Ash, Raif, Effie, and Raina (as well as Vaylo Bludd). For some reason I had originally thought that this series was a trilogy only, but after completing A SWORD FROM RED ICE, it is apparent that more books are needed. I look forward to them - J.V. Jones is a wonderful fantasy writer, and one of my favorites in the genre.
Phleghm
The more I read this series, the longer the breaks between separate chapters I need to take. I basically have to forget what I have been reading about, in order to be able to read on. That, in my eyes, is a serious flaw.

Characters remain intriguing, but also grow to be stupid and annoying. There's just enough reasons left for me to continue reading. In a suffering state of mind hah.
Marit
Jan 07, 2011 Marit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Third book in this trilogy and I'm well hooked! Jones falls into some fantasy cliches, especially with the ending of this book which again focuses on Raif's "Quest" (as did the second one). Often, her language is definitely high fantasy falutin'. However, there were some surprises at the end, the characters I started to love and be fascinated by in the second book drew me in further.
Ben
Feb 28, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love some of the characters. Sometimes it reads a bit more like a graphic novel than classical literature, but if you buy into that it can be very cool. I'm looking forward to finishing off this series but a bit bummed that it hasn't been finished yet. The book is definitely not self contained with cliff hangers all over the place.
Jacquie
Nov 08, 2011 Jacquie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loving this series. It's a great book when you get butterflies in your stomach reading about the battles between characters (Raina and the Scarpe guide, in my case), and I am seriously in love with Raif. Aaaarg, someone has the final instalment out on loan from my library, so won't be able to get it for at least a week.
Kiel Van Horn
Apr 30, 2011 Kiel Van Horn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love her. She's so good. This book's getting off to a way better start than the second Sword of Shadows book.

Just finished it. Her writing is so rich and detailed. She really puts you in a harsh world of fighting clansmen and makes it real. I'm curious how much research she puts into these books.

• The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • The Grand Crusade (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #3)
  • The Other Lands (Acacia, #2)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Ravenheart (The Rigante, #3)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • Emperor and Clown (A Man of His Word, #4)
Julie Victoria Jones was born in Liverpool, England. She has been writing for seven years, and is currently working on her sixth novel, which will be titled A Fortress of Grey Ice. She lives in San Diego, California.

All three books in The Book Of Words Trilogy are #1 national bestsellers, and have been bought for publication in England, Poland, Russia, Germany, France and Holland. Her fifth book,
More about J.V. Jones...

L'Épée des ombres (5 books)
  • Jeskyně černého ledu I: Meč stínů (Meč stínů, #1)
  • Im Schatten von Spire Vanis (Das Schwert der Schatten, #2)
  • La Piste des glaces (L'Épée des ombres, 2A)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)