Start by marking “500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians” as Want to Read:
500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians

500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The story of Native American leaders, customs, political systems, and ways of life, this is American history from the Native American perspective: friendship, betrayal, war, and ultimately, the loss of homeland. A companion volume to the CBS series produced by Kevin Costner, Jack Leustig, and James Wilson scheduled to air in 1995. Illustrations & photos.
Published November 15th 1994 by Knopf (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about 500 Nations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 Nations

Jenny Nay
This book is truly inspiring. Between the amazing illustrations and photos to the depth at which the Native American people are looked at, this book gives the reader necessary insight into an amazing and misunderstood world. Everyone should read this book and familiarize themselves with their native brothers and sisters. Their plight is ongoing.
Christine D
This book is big. It is an extremely comprehensive history of native people in North America. This is a bear of a book with a lot of information, not exactly bedtime reading but very thorough nonetheless. I had this book checked out from my local library for over two months, that's how long it took me to page through it.
Ted Luster
Jun 09, 2008 Ted Luster rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Ted by: Selected reading note, in Library newsletter
A worthwhile pictorial history of the "HUMAN BEINGS", and
their relationship, with the CIVILIZATION which was forced
upon them.
Heath Lowrance
This is an amazingly exhaustive history of Indians in the Americas, tracing their various cultures from the very first civilizations thousands of years ago to the final series of blows to their ways of life in the very late nineteenth century. It's lavishly illustrated on every single page and is a bit of a wrist strainer.

Josephy does an admirable job of detailing the amazing diversity of Indian life across geographical lines- the way various tribes interacted with one another in both negative
Bill
Very interesting; does a good job of summarizing the "entirety" of The Indians of North America. It does have a rather left-wing bent to it (and I can be very left wing). It treats in almost all cases the Indians as if they are noble and beautiful and somehow more spiritual than the average human while describing in some detail the various atrocities, holocausts, ethnic cleansing, cruel torture etc. that they inflicted upon themselves and others. This does not, of course, excuse any of the abuse ...more
Chrisl
When glancing at the Goodreads entry for 500 Nations, after skimming the library's copy for a second time recently, I was surprised to see Josephy's encyclopedic tome included in an expansive list of "Westerns

... well, OK, definitely useful background for much HF-USA, my category for novels that includes Indians

... Good book to begin learning about the rise and fall of pre-Euro Americans.
Zmuda
What an enjoyable book! It has important information supplemented with fascinating photographs & illustrations. I would suggest picking this book up at your local library before buying it. The information is good, but the book never goes into great detail about any of the events.
Kathy
Okay, so, this is the kind of giant reference book that I'm certain NOONE reads cover to cover, and I would be counted amongst those. However, it does have what I expect to be a permanent home on my bookshelf.
Marc
I read (or rather, enjoy looking at) this thumping great volume not as a work alone, but as a visual aide memoire accompanying Josephy's masterly works on the history of First Nations in the americas.

Sadly, I am reminded that one of the three books I have lent, never to be returned, was a similarly named, unillustrated and more detailed history of the first nations (published by Penguin, I think) which I lent, alongside two other books, to a television producer colleague.

When he returned the two
Big
"I am Wind In His Hair. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
Julia Wherlock
A very informative book. Well illustrated. A must for scholars and enthusiasts alike.
Charlane Brady
Moving. Well written and great art.
Carol
The show was awesome, too.
Jo Kennedy
how many indigenous people were involved with the making of this book, I'm really super curious

what is it with you white folks that you just can't ever fucking let us tell our own stories??

like do you not realize the reason a book like this is ascribed so much importance is because of how wholly and brutally you erased us and our history when you started enslaving and genociding us??

y'all have no goddamn shame. none.
Colleen
heartbreaking but informative and filled with the voices of Native Americans
Fredrick Danysh
Here is a collection of information about many of the Native American nations and confederations of theAmericas. It is a handy reference tool to get a scope of Native American relationships and ways of life.
Rachel
Apr 04, 2015 Rachel marked it as will-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous pictures, banal text.
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jules
Jules is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Sarah Cat
Sarah Cat marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Brad Kinnison
Brad Kinnison marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Oliver Eike
Oliver Eike marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Jay Ledoux
Jay Ledoux marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Pj
Pj marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Donna Hardison
Donna Hardison marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Tenoch Xipilli
Tenoch Xipilli marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
  • Native American Testimony: A Chronicle of Indian-White Relations from Prophecy to the Present
  • American Holocaust: Columbus and the Conquest of the New World
  • Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
  • The Lance and the Shield: The Life and Times of Sitting Bull
  • The Native Americans: An Illustrated History
  • Crazy Horse: The Strange Man of the Oglalas
  • A Little Matter of Genocide: Holocaust & Denial in the Americas 1492 to the Present
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise Of The English Empire In The American South, 1670-1717
  • The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History
  • The Comanche Empire
  • The Killing of Crazy Horse
The Patriot Chiefs: A Chronicle of American Indian Resistance Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes: Nine Indian Writers on the Legacy of the Expedition The Nez Perce Indians and the Opening of the Northwest The Civil War in the American West America in 1492: The World of the Indian Peoples Before the Arrival of Columbus