Start by marking “Heart” as Want to Read:
Heart

Heart

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Witness the rise of cage fighter Oren "Rooster" Redmond in this gritty tale of self-discovery illustrated by KEVIN MELLON (LOVESTRUCK, SHIELD) and written by BLAIR BUTLER (G4's Attack of the Show). Packed with flying knees, crazy submissions, dudes getting punched in the face, and a narrative Alex Zalban at MTV Geek calls, "Something exciting and different. In a world awas ...more
Published July 11th 2012 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart

Hayden
May 20, 2012 Hayden rated it liked it
'Heart' follows the rise and fall of Oren Redmond, an average pencil pusher who finds his calling in the world of professional MMA cage fighting.

I first heard about this via the writer Blair Butler, who reviews comics for G4TV. Judging by the awesome cover of the first issue (cover of this paperback), and the fact that she reviews comics for a living, I had very high expectations for this story. It was good, but I was somewhat let down. I never really felt for the lead. I didn't feel like they r
Syahira Sharif
Aug 03, 2012 Syahira Sharif rated it liked it

Heart is a B&W collection of a series of an ordinary man with a dream of being in the fighting ring. He decided to pursue it and worked hard to be where he is. He have talent and determination to break into the boxing career. Despite all the hard work, he pressed on harder and keep on going like a warrior he is. He's deep and almost philosophical even when things gets ugly. Its a simple story with depth and the stark realism take on the modern warriors in the masculine sport.

The graphic nove
Cori
Dec 18, 2015 Cori rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
I picked this up at a convention because I have loved Kevin Mellon's other work. This b&w style is different than his other graphic novels, and not my usual preference. However, it works really well for this gritty mma story. I wasn't expecting so much humanity out of a story about men beating each other, but it really was a relatable journey. I'm glad I picked it up.
Elia
Aug 03, 2012 Elia rated it liked it
This isnt't he kind of story I normally read. I hate boxing, MMA, all that stuff. I don't see the joy in watching a couple of grown men pummel the crap out of eachother for the enjoyment of spectators.
That said, I enjoyed reading this. It actually touched me. I nearly shed a tear.
It's a simple story about a young guy who wants something more out of his life than a boring temp job. He thinks he will get that better life in the ring so he becomes an MMA Cage Fighter convinced he can be a champ.
Grg
Apr 27, 2014 Grg rated it really liked it
This one surprised me. Not so much a story about MMA, but subtle tale about having the guts to take a shot at greatness.
Gord
Aug 10, 2012 Gord rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Truth be told , I didn't really care for the genre (MMA drama) and in the end it was forgettable. The art was very solid though. However, I am an admirer of Blair Butler and her work promoting comics so I gave her a passing grade.
Georgios
Georgios marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Luke Assink
Luke Assink marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
HFK
HFK marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Max Kalinin
Max Kalinin rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2015
Xesh
Xesh rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Thomas Jessee
Thomas Jessee rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Victor
Victor rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Angrymoosekf
Angrymoosekf rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Cody Mcgrew
Cody Mcgrew rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Foo
Foo rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jeigh
Jeigh rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Paul Grimsley
Paul Grimsley rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Mike Weissmann
Mike Weissmann marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Greg Rhinehart
Greg Rhinehart rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Jan Ramos
Jan Ramos rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015