Start by marking “The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook” as Want to Read:
The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook

The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Celtic tradition is a source of inspiration to many seeking to discover their ancestral spiritual heritage. This superb sourcebook contains many new translations of seminal Celtic texts, including stories, poems, and prose pieces, some dating from as far back as the seventh century. Key ingredients in this rich cauldron of ancient lore include sections on: . Shamanic M
Published 1994 by Dorset Element

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom

Jack
This is a book best read in bits and chunks. I've used it primarily as a reference tool and idea book for rituals I've written. It is also a great reference for more reading material if you are one studying either Celtic Lore and Mythology or if you are working in shamanic studies for comparative religions. As others have said, it's rather dry (though not quite as bad as John Matthews "Druidic Handbook")

There are parts I've read over and over again as I've listened to another author, Joseph Camp
claire
I love this book! I am reading it on a "I feel like it" basis, but it has also come up several times this school year as I am teaching British Literature. There are so many references to Celtic Wisdom--mythology, shamanic memory, poetry and the always mysterious and intriguing druids.

If you're interested in spirituality and myth as it relates to our lives today or if you're exploring, as I am, your Celtic roots, this is a great reference to have on the shelf.
Lia
This book has an amazing amount of source material from times gone by, all of it translated carefully. I mostly flipped through and read snatches of pieces that interested me, and I was impressed by the thought that went into this book. So, why three stars? It's not very usable. For such a thick book full of so much information, they really could have used a design editor to make the book an easier reference.
Jace Makara
This is honestly one of the most rubbish books I have ever read.
It is full of misinformation that a simple Google Search will answer correctly for you.
Especially in the story "The Seige Of Knocklong". Everything in this story is lied about.
I will never recommend this book to anyone and I will instead suggest burning it.
Bill Tillman
Very informative, professorial in tone and bit dry and. Yet, the images you can envision based upon the information can be terrific material for writers/artists trying to capture the Celtic mood in a particular creation, as has been the case with me.
Gianetta
Very informative, a bit dry and professorial in tone. Yet, the images one can envision based upon the information can be terrific fodder for writers/artists trying to capture the Celtic mood in a particular creation, as has been the case with me.
Amanda
A really great book of Celtic stories. I got a lot of inspiration from it for my own writing.
Micaela
Micaela marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Jamiila
Jamiila marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Erin Bradley
Erin Bradley marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Sean
Sean added it
Mar 15, 2015
Marka Huber
Marka Huber marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Huggishunter
Huggishunter marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Nikoletta
Nikoletta marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Caiti
Caiti marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Ryan Curry
Ryan Curry marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Bethany Stöllar
Bethany Stöllar marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Elspeth
Elspeth marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Angel Marks
Angel Marks marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism
  • Celtic Heritage
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Druids
  • Pagan Celtic Britain
  • The Mist-Filled Path: Celtic Wisdom for Exiles, Wanderers, and Seekers
  • Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe: Early Scandinavian and Celtic Religions
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
Caitlín Matthews is a writer, singer and teacher whose ground-breaking work has introduced many to the riches of our western spiritual heritage.

She is acknowledged as a world authority on Celtic Wisdom, the Western Mysteries and the ancestral traditions of Britain and Europe. She is the author of over 50 books including Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom, a study of Divine Feminine in Gnostic, Jewish and
More about Caitlín Matthews...
Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings The Celtic Spirit: Daily Meditations for the Turning Year Ladies of the Lake Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Wisdom for Every Day Walkers Between the Worlds: The Western Mysteries from Shaman to Magus