Start by marking “These Same Long Bones” as Want to Read:
These Same Long Bones

These Same Long Bones

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
These Same Long Bones is a radiantly generous story of loss and redemption for a Southern black community and the man who embodies its citizens' individual and collective dreams. Compassionate in its voice and vision, it lovingly evokes the rhythms of daily life and underlying faith of an insular world rarely depicted in fiction. The Hay-Ti section of Durham, North Carolin ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 1995 by Plume (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about These Same Long Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Same Long Bones

Patty
I have had this book on my to-read list for a long time. And even once I decided to read it while on my vacation, I didn't get to this until the end of my time off.

What I found, once I got started, was a book that was fascinating in itself and that contrasted well with The Help. These Long Bones takes place in Durham in the 1950's. I believe that Parker wants to show what black communities were like when they were fairly self supported or at least appeared so. This would have been before the per
gaudeo
Feb 22, 2014 gaudeo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. It depicts especially well the struggles of parents after the death of a child (not a spoiler), as well as the vagaries of small-town sentiments. At times, the writing draws attention to itself with a not-quite-apt metaphor, simile, or description, so I was taken out of its sphere more than I wanted to be. But I enjoyed the characterization and the community the author creates.
Jeanne
Sep 10, 2007 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
A black family upturned at the death of only daughter. Sirus, the father, responsible to family & community must continue. It's a story of how they get through.

Lovely, intelligent man broken down by events. He ultimately pulls himself back together, bringing those who rely on ihim back on an even keel as well.
Lady Jane
A former resident of Durham, which I loved, I looked forward for a long time to reading this book. However, I found the dialogue poor and the characters unengaging. I just couldn't get into it. When I was 133 pages into its 260 pages and felt the same way, I realized I was never going to and gave up.
H. Dair Brown
H. Dair Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Nisha
Nisha rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Brianna Webb
Brianna Webb rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Linda Gilligan
Linda Gilligan rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Kamala R
Kamala R rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Sarah Layton
Sarah Layton marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Tee
Tee rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
Jacara Chas
Jacara Chas rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Katelin
Katelin marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Alisa
Alisa marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Altoria Ross
Altoria Ross marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Bbbaileys
Bbbaileys rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Mary Petrie
Mary Petrie rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2014
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
C Baker
C Baker rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Michelia Allen
Michelia Allen rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Danielle Hoang
Danielle Hoang rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2014