Start by marking “These Same Long Bones” as Want to Read:
These Same Long Bones

These Same Long Bones

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  4 reviews
These Same Long Bones is a radiantly generous story of loss and redemption for a Southern black community and the man who embodies its citizens' individual and collective dreams. Compassionate in its voice and vision, it lovingly evokes the rhythms of daily life and underlying faith of an insular world rarely depicted in fiction. The Hay-Ti section of Durham, North Carolin ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 1995 by Plume (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about These Same Long Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about These Same Long Bones

Patty
I have had this book on my to-read list for a long time. And even once I decided to read it while on my vacation, I didn't get to this until the end of my time off.

What I found, once I got started, was a book that was fascinating in itself and that contrasted well with The Help. These Long Bones takes place in Durham in the 1950's. I believe that Parker wants to show what black communities were like when they were fairly self supported or at least appeared so. This would have been before the per
gaudeo
I enjoyed this book a lot. It depicts especially well the struggles of parents after the death of a child (not a spoiler), as well as the vagaries of small-town sentiments. At times, the writing draws attention to itself with a not-quite-apt metaphor, simile, or description, so I was taken out of its sphere more than I wanted to be. But I enjoyed the characterization and the community the author creates.
Jeanne
A black family upturned at the death of only daughter. Sirus, the father, responsible to family & community must continue. It's a story of how they get through.

Lovely, intelligent man broken down by events. He ultimately pulls himself back together, bringing those who rely on ihim back on an even keel as well.
Lady Jane
A former resident of Durham, which I loved, I looked forward for a long time to reading this book. However, I found the dialogue poor and the characters unengaging. I just couldn't get into it. When I was 133 pages into its 260 pages and felt the same way, I realized I was never going to and gave up.
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ivy P
Ivy P marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Jenene
Jenene marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Scotty
Scotty marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
LT
LT marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Margie Jimenez
Margie Jimenez marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Mom
Mom marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Regina
Regina added it
Oct 10, 2012
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Trespassing: My Sojourn in the Halls of Privilege The Good Parts: The Best Erotic Writing in Modern Fiction