Start by marking “Barcelona Plates” as Want to Read:
Barcelona Plates

Barcelona Plates

Barcelona Plates is a collection of sleek, dark, and witty short stories from the renowned comedian, presenter and actor, Alexei Sayle.
Published September 21st 2000 by Sceptre (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Barcelona Plates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barcelona Plates

Lance Greenfield
Jun 02, 2010 Lance Greenfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sure to make you laugh

This is a collection of short stories, all of which have either a sinister or an amusing twist in the tail. For some, the twist is both sinister and amusing. The stories demonstrate a great deal imagination and variety. If you want to read yet another version of how Princess Diana died, or how an old soldier could get a deathly kick out of his twilight years, just pick up this book and have a read.

I can’t think of any of my friends to whom I would not recommend this delight
David Harris
One of the other reviewers felt unsure about how this book would be received "over the pond." His suspicion was right on.

I'm an American teaching English in Kuwait (this review was written in 2004). My British flatmate lent me this book. When I read the glowing recommendation from author Douglas Adams on the back, I figured it couldn't miss. Yet I have to admit, though I read it cover to cover, I found very little that really grabbed me.

Having tramped around London and a few other cities in Engl
David Kintore
Sep 06, 2016 David Kintore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why, but I enjoyed this book much more on a second reading than I did first time round. Alexei Sayle has a great way of ramming something completely unexpected into his stories, and not just at the end of them. His writing is funny but also very sharp and critical - he perfectly skewers the hypocrisy of the family in the final story, who blame the victim for her own misfortune.

Being a stand-up comedian himself, he is well qualified to make this observation about them in the story title
Charlotte
Aug 01, 2014 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooft. I snorted on the train today. A minging, wet, summer-cold-cum-post-smoking-phlegm, snort. On a totally packed commuter train. If a book can get a soggy snort-giggle out of you then it must have something going for it. In the reading of this book I did a lot of laughing. It's wicked in the Roald Dahl dark short story kind of way rather than the Harry Potter wears a V-neck sort of way. You can see the beginnings of loads of current comedy in it. Bit Black Mirror-y. Some of it is just plain g ...more
Neil P
Aug 11, 2011 Neil P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was brimming with excitement about reading this one, but you have to read two short stories into the book to be able to gage Sayles depiction of the dissolute and non-plussed and their rise and fall. The namesake Barca Plates was quite flat but I could get the idea. The story of the Liverpool Pensioner cum Chechen Gangster is a superb gem (perhaps reflecting where Alexei commands ultimate writing strength) and Ant and Dec do Voodoo (I don't know it actual name - apologies) is hilarious. There ...more
Donnelle Brooks
Nov 20, 2016 Donnelle Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to my ex boyfriend by his Dad with a hearty recommendation. It sat gathering dust for ages until I finally picked it up and couldn't put it down! I love his twisted sense of humour but I am very glad I am not a character in one of his stories!

Kept the book, ditched the boyfriend
Benedict Reid
Mar 23, 2012 Benedict Reid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this after "The Dog Catcher", and I thought that maybe I had now learnt his "trick" when it comes to writing short stories, so that I would no longer be surprised. But there were some stories which just seemed to come out of nowhere and take my breath away. I finished this book days ago and the last story still haunts me.
Jeremy Poole
Apr 22, 2012 Jeremy Poole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will smile, Alexei's communist anti establishment leanings clearly show, whilst of course being firmly in with his Oxbrigde mates. This book is a great introduction to his dark, cynical humour.
I've read evrything he's written, This series of shorts is well worth the money.
My Indie reviews are on my blog.
Gospodyina
May 18, 2014 Gospodyina rated it really liked it
Shelves: culled
Fun short stories. The title one is about a Brit who, bored on holiday in Spain, just gets in the rental car and drives...home.
Nancy Townsend
I think Mr. Sayle had the devil in him when he wrote these stories. Deliciously wicked and hilarious.
Bryn Powell
Entertaining, if slight, asides from a very interesting and talented writer. It's easy to read them in Alexei's voice.
Stephen Walsh
May 10, 2007 Stephen Walsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every decent soul
Generally preferring nonfiction, I recently re-read this genius collection of short stories and was reminded about how gosh darn magnificent fiction can be sometimes.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 10, 2008
Christine Taylor
Christine Taylor rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Jade
Jade rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Mr. Chris North
Mr. Chris North rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Krystian Morgan
Krystian Morgan rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Simon McCoy
Simon McCoy rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Brendan Ashbrook
Brendan Ashbrook rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2013
Joyce G. Cornell
Joyce G. Cornell rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2017
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2010
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Hesham Dahab
Hesham Dahab rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2012
Bertolina
Bertolina rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Graeme Smith
Graeme Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2014
Claire Mcnamee
Claire Mcnamee rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Gillian
Gillian rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Matthew Huggins
Matthew Huggins rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
  • The Comforts Of Madness
  • The Fahrenheit Twins
  • The Voice Imitator
  • A Thin Ghost and Others

“Pete couldn't believe how sanctimonious somebody could be just because they'd once had a soldering iron stuck up their arse.” 4 likes