Start by marking “Barcelona Plates” as Want to Read:
Barcelona Plates

Barcelona Plates

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Barcelona Plates is a collection of sleek, dark, and witty short stories from the renowned comedian, presenter and actor, Alexei Sayle.
Published September 21st 2000 by Sceptre (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Barcelona Plates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barcelona Plates

Lance Greenfield
Sure to make you laugh

This is a collection of short stories, all of which have either a sinister or an amusing twist in the tail. For some, the twist is both sinister and amusing. The stories demonstrate a great deal imagination and variety. If you want to read yet another version of how Princess Diana died, or how an old soldier could get a deathly kick out of his twilight years, just pick up this book and have a read.

I can’t think of any of my friends to whom I would not recommend this delight
Charlotte
Ooft. I snorted on the train today. A minging, wet, summer-cold-cum-post-smoking-phlegm, snort. On a totally packed commuter train. If a book can get a soggy snort-giggle out of you then it must have something going for it. In the reading of this book I did a lot of laughing. It's wicked in the Roald Dahl dark short story kind of way rather than the Harry Potter wears a V-neck sort of way. You can see the beginnings of loads of current comedy in it. Bit Black Mirror-y. Some of it is just plain g ...more
David Harris
One of the other reviewers felt unsure about how this book would be received "over the pond." His suspicion was right on.

I'm an American teaching English in Kuwait (this review was written in 2004). My British flatmate lent me this book. When I read the glowing recommendation from author Douglas Adams on the back, I figured it couldn't miss. Yet I have to admit, though I read it cover to cover, I found very little that really grabbed me.

Having tramped around London and a few other cities in Engl
Gospodyina
Fun short stories. The title one is about a Brit who, bored on holiday in Spain, just gets in the rental car and drives...home.
Neil P
I was brimming with excitement about reading this one, but you have to read two short stories into the book to be able to gage Sayles depiction of the dissolute and non-plussed and their rise and fall. The namesake Barca Plates was quite flat but I could get the idea. The story of the Liverpool Pensioner cum Chechen Gangster is a superb gem (perhaps reflecting where Alexei commands ultimate writing strength) and Ant and Dec do Voodoo (I don't know it actual name - apologies) is hilarious. There ...more
Bryn Powell
Entertaining, if slight, asides from a very interesting and talented writer. It's easy to read them in Alexei's voice.
Jeremy Poole
You will smile, Alexei's communist anti establishment leanings clearly show, whilst of course being firmly in with his Oxbrigde mates. This book is a great introduction to his dark, cynical humour.
I've read evrything he's written, This series of shorts is well worth the money.
My Indie reviews are on my blog.
Benedict Reid
I read this after "The Dog Catcher", and I thought that maybe I had now learnt his "trick" when it comes to writing short stories, so that I would no longer be surprised. But there were some stories which just seemed to come out of nowhere and take my breath away. I finished this book days ago and the last story still haunts me.
Stephen Walsh
May 10, 2007 Stephen Walsh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every decent soul
Generally preferring nonfiction, I recently re-read this genius collection of short stories and was reminded about how gosh darn magnificent fiction can be sometimes.
Richard Owen
Short stories: Some surreal, some harrowing, some hilarious, some odd until the very last sentence.
Alex
A good collection of short stories, some more interesting than others.
Denali
Very uneven but some of the stories were hilarious.
Hannah Gregory
I love this book. Best book of short stories ever.
Zzoeeeee
Some great short stories, comic and emotional
Tim
Fall about funny! A great read.
Jim
Surreal and funny short stories.
Jim
Jul 31, 2011 Jim added it
Shelves: 2009
Funny, very dark though
Paul Kaefer
Paul Kaefer marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Valerian Garay
Valerian Garay marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Timothy Cole
Timothy Cole marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
  • Under the Garden
  • On the Yankee Station: Stories
  • Death Sentence
  • Never Trust A Rabbit: Stories With a Twist
  • Deathscent (Intrigues of the Reflected Realm, #1)
  • Mount København
  • The Gambler/Bobok/A Nasty Story
  • A Thin Ghost and Others
  • Tales of the Night
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
Stalin Ate My Homework The Dog Catcher Overtaken Weeping Women Hotel Mister Roberts

“Pete couldn't believe how sanctimonious somebody could be just because they'd once had a soldering iron stuck up their arse.” 4 likes