Start by marking “Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance” as Want to Read:
Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance

Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance

Introduces to the funniest, wildest, sexiest, powerful, and normal fat people on earth and a few other planets. This title features a pirate named Valkyrie, a cardsharp named Fat Moriah, a xeno-fitness instructor and an earth-mage who don't apologize for taking up space, fat cats on a mission, and a very different kind of vampire.
Published March 28th 2005 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published May 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Such a Pretty Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such a Pretty Face

M.C. Hana
Full disclosure: I was one of the original contributors to this anthology, under the pen name Marian Crane.

I came back to this book after ten years, and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Some of the stories spoke more to me than others. It gets three stars from me only because I'm not much of a New Weird reader, and some stories seemed to be preaching too much.

Still, I wish that the publisher had survived long enough to offer a second volume of Martindale's size-wise spec fiction. Th
Not exactly what I thought but still a good weekend chew. I made the mistake of reading it with Animal plants in the background discussing various animals & bugs eating other animals and bugs and the result was nightmares and a headache. However I do highly recommend the one about vampires. After reading it I entertained myself w/ crossing t with the Twilight characters. If anyone else reads it, do let me know what you think the Cullens would become.
Apr 18, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More good stories than bad. I prefer fluffy fantasy over edgy sci-fi and most of the stories catered to me. The sci-fi was good, as sci-fi goes but it was more laborious for me to read those. Overall, a decent mix of fat acceptance (and dare I say glorifying?) short stories. For those of us who know our real value and are impatiently waiting for the rest of the world to catch on and get up to speed!
I was feeling bad about myself and needed a bit of a boost. This collection of plus-size fairy stories was just what I needed. The collection is mixed in quality, but there are a couple of gems, especially the Elizabeth Anne Scarborough story which I loved and wish it was a full length novel!
Jul 04, 2009 Marian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-now
AN anthology of short short fantasy stories with plus size themes. It was interesting, the stories were too short. Just as you had started to get interested, a punchline and too quickly over--
Jun 02, 2012 JoyfulK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these stories. A lot. At the same time I was just sad that stories with positive images of fat characters are so uncommon that we needed a special anthology of them.
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
MIPat marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Jana Leah
Jana Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Jenn added it
Jul 06, 2016
JoEllen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Tatianna Guerrero
Tatianna Guerrero rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Shantel marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Jeremiah Parson
Jeremiah Parson marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Mord rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
Rabia marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Andrew Foulds
Andrew Foulds rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Kimberly Brauhn
Kimberly Brauhn rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
donna marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Maggie Gordon
Maggie Gordon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Jo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Fawn Gutschlag
Fawn Gutschlag marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Leah Weir
Leah Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Maricel rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Erin rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Writer, editor, and activist Lee Martindale has been called “a force of nature” and “Hell on Wheels” for very good reasons. She's edited a groundbreaking anthology (SUCH A PRETTY FACE), released a CD of original filk music (THE LADIES OF TRADE TOWN) and an audiochapbook CD (TO STAND AS WITNESS: THREE ARTHURIAN TALES). Her recent works include PREJUDICE BY THE POUND, a collection of essays and edit ...more
More about Lee Martindale...