Suddenly Single

Suddenly Single

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A jilted young woman learns some important lessons about loving others, and loving herself, in this engaging debut from a fresh new voice in Christian fiction.
Published January 1st 2008 by Urban Books

OOSA
Learning to Heed

All Vashti Hunter needed to do was listen, instead she was standing alone at the altar. Now distraught and very heartbroken, Vashti has to get back in the swing of things. On a serious mission to find a man she can love who is also ready to settle down, Vashti seems to find the most undesirable men out there.

Learn to wait on God! The moment Vashti does, could it be that the man she's needed was always by her side?

While reading SUDDENLY SINGLE I was able to laugh at some of the...more
Shonell Bacon
Left at the altar, Vashti Hunter turns away from church and toward men to find Mr. Right, eventually learning she shouldn’t sacrifice self for love. Overall, solid premise and enough drama to propel readers to ending. Be forewarned: drama is at every turn; take a breath and dive right in!
The Urban Book Source
Author Shana Johnson Burton penned a novel that will have your head spinning through the life of Vashti Hunter, the main character in Suddenly Single. Vashti Hunter knew that something was wrong when she received her fiancé's nervous phone call the night before their wedding, but she was too distracted by visions of the wedding grandeur to listen to her instincts. The day that was supposed to be the happiest day of the 26 year-old's life quickly turns into the most humiliating when she is left a...more
Vern
On a visit to Fred's to pick up some cleaning supplies, I encountered a sign upon entering that stated,"reduced books $4.00." Of course I could not just walk past and not go through these reduced titles. They were mostly Christian fiction titles of which I purchased two along with my cleaning supplies. Suddenly Single was my first choice of these two to pull off the shelf.

Vashti Hunter is left at the altar on the day of her wedding by the man she had been dating for the past five years. Kendric...more
Adrienna
Vashti has a sob story, on her set wedding day, no Kendrick (who she wasted 5 years of her dear life with) at the altar to make their wedding vows official. Now, she's suddenly single, and a number of women can relate to this horrible experience of possibly not marrying the man they thought was meant for them!

There are some parts I had to take a break a day or two; caution for those single Christians who practice celibacy. This is edgy Christian material similar to Lutisha Lovely material (who d...more
Joe Finkelstein
I probably would have been the last person to read this book if I didn't have a connection to the author (I teach with Shana's sister). I'm a happily married Jewish male, and this book is about a single Black woman; and it is published by a Christian publishing company. That said, I am glad that I swiped a copy of the book from my friend and spent the weekend reading it.
I think that Ms. Burton did a wonderful job weaving a compelling tale. She employed some nice twists and turns to keep the read...more
Kellee
This book was ok. I realized towards the end that it was very slow moving. I realized it because the book finally started to pick up the pace. It definitely wasn't Christian Fiction in my opinion, but I was perfectly ok with that. The errors started off minor and were easy to overlook, but eventually started to really get on my nerves. I wouldn't read it again, but as slow moving as it was, it did hold my attention, however it was VERY predictable.
Shana Burton
Dec 21, 2007 Shana Burton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: People who love to laugh and love a happy ending
Suddenly Single is like no other book I've read. The characters are rich and the plot is well-paced. Shana Burton's writing style is funny, edgy, and refreshing. She is definately an author to watch! What I learned from reading this book is that the love of a man can never be a replacement for loving yourself.
Tiffany
I really liked this book but more so as a regular fiction not Christian fiction. There wasn't much Christian about it to me. The story was pretty predictable but I still enjoyed reading it
Sheila
this was a very good book. Im surprised on how some things turned out.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Pamela Rice
Pamela Rice marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Kimmie
Kimmie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Shawnadre Crews
Shawnadre Crews marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
LaShaunda
LaShaunda marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Tru Essync
Tru Essync marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Bee Johnson
Bee Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Laquista Center
Laquista Center marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
LaShawn
LaShawn marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Avis Mcgee
Avis Mcgee marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My name is Shana Johnson Burton, and I am married with two boys. I was born and raised in Macon, GA, and I am an English teacher at the high school I graduated from. I love to cook, dance, read, and, of course, write. I have two other books in the pipeline. Suddenly Single is my first novel. My second one, First Comes Love, will be released in November 2008, and the third will probably come out so...more
More about Shana Burton...
Flaws and All Catt Chasin' First Comes Love Flawfully Wedded Wives Flaw Less

“Nobody ever gets off easily when they destroy other people's lives....God always makes sure everyone gets what they deserve one way or another.” 1 likes