Start by marking “Suddenly Single” as Want to Read:
Suddenly Single

Suddenly Single

A jilted young woman learns some important lessons about loving others, and loving herself, in this engaging debut from a fresh new voice in Christian fiction.
Published January 1st 2008 by Urban Books

To ask other readers questions about Suddenly Single, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suddenly Single

OOSA
Nov 09, 2008 OOSA rated it really liked it
Learning to Heed

All Vashti Hunter needed to do was listen, instead she was standing alone at the altar. Now distraught and very heartbroken, Vashti has to get back in the swing of things. On a serious mission to find a man she can love who is also ready to settle down, Vashti seems to find the most undesirable men out there.

Learn to wait on God! The moment Vashti does, could it be that the man she's needed was always by her side?

While reading SUDDENLY SINGLE I was able to laugh at some of the
Shonell Bacon
Jul 11, 2008 Shonell Bacon rated it liked it
Left at the altar, Vashti Hunter turns away from church and toward men to find Mr. Right, eventually learning she shouldn’t sacrifice self for love. Overall, solid premise and enough drama to propel readers to ending. Be forewarned: drama is at every turn; take a breath and dive right in!
The Urban Book Source
Author Shana Johnson Burton penned a novel that will have your head spinning through the life of Vashti Hunter, the main character in Suddenly Single. Vashti Hunter knew that something was wrong when she received her fiancé's nervous phone call the night before their wedding, but she was too distracted by visions of the wedding grandeur to listen to her instincts. The day that was supposed to be the happiest day of the 26 year-old's life quickly turns into the most humiliating when she is left a ...more
Adrienna
Vashti has a sob story, on her set wedding day, no Kendrick (who she wasted 5 years of her dear life with) at the altar to make their wedding vows official. Now, she's suddenly single, and a number of women can relate to this horrible experience of possibly not marrying the man they thought was meant for them!

There are some parts I had to take a break a day or two; caution for those single Christians who practice celibacy. This is edgy Christian material similar to Lutisha Lovely material (who d
Stanjay Daniels
Jul 08, 2015 Stanjay Daniels rated it it was amazing
I read this book a couple of years ago and decided to revisit it. 5 stars! I really thought that storyline was well organized and written. It had so many different twist and turns starting with the main character Vashti being stood up at the alter on her wedding day. The whole journey through the subsequent days, including her trying to bounce back from being left at the alter, getting back in the dating game and still managing her business definitely made for a great book.
Joe Finkelstein
Dec 23, 2007 Joe Finkelstein rated it liked it
I probably would have been the last person to read this book if I didn't have a connection to the author (I teach with Shana's sister). I'm a happily married Jewish male, and this book is about a single Black woman; and it is published by a Christian publishing company. That said, I am glad that I swiped a copy of the book from my friend and spent the weekend reading it.
I think that Ms. Burton did a wonderful job weaving a compelling tale. She employed some nice twists and turns to keep the read
Kellee
Jan 08, 2009 Kellee rated it it was ok
This book was ok. I realized towards the end that it was very slow moving. I realized it because the book finally started to pick up the pace. It definitely wasn't Christian Fiction in my opinion, but I was perfectly ok with that. The errors started off minor and were easy to overlook, but eventually started to really get on my nerves. I wouldn't read it again, but as slow moving as it was, it did hold my attention, however it was VERY predictable.
Shana Burton
Dec 21, 2007 Shana Burton rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: People who love to laugh and love a happy ending
Suddenly Single is like no other book I've read. The characters are rich and the plot is well-paced. Shana Burton's writing style is funny, edgy, and refreshing. She is definately an author to watch! What I learned from reading this book is that the love of a man can never be a replacement for loving yourself.
Tiffany
Apr 30, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I really liked this book but more so as a regular fiction not Christian fiction. There wasn't much Christian about it to me. The story was pretty predictable but I still enjoyed reading it
Sheila
Jan 30, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
this was a very good book. Im surprised on how some things turned out.
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Stephanie Parker
Stephanie Parker marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Jacque
Jacque marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Karen Reynolds
Karen Reynolds marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Trina Franklin
Trina Franklin rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Mzzp
Mzzp marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Angelia F. Simon
Angelia F. Simon marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Rikkie
Rikkie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Mmark
Mmark added it
Aug 30, 2015
Luschus Beth
Luschus Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Una Maya
Una Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Andrea Horton
Andrea Horton rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Thiri
Thiri marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Deatrice
Deatrice marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Stefanie L. Kellam
Stefanie L. Kellam marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sonya
Sonya marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Megan Glass
Megan Glass rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My name is Shana Johnson Burton, and I am married with two boys. I was born and raised in Macon, GA, and I am an English teacher at the high school I graduated from. I love to cook, dance, read, and, of course, write. I have two other books in the pipeline. Suddenly Single is my first novel. My second one, First Comes Love, will be released in November 2008, and the third will probably come out so ...more
More about Shana Burton...

“Nobody ever gets off easily when they destroy other people's lives....God always makes sure everyone gets what they deserve one way or another.” 1 likes