Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax, Book 7)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax, Book 7)

Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs Pollifax #7)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  2,454 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Emily Pollifax goes to Hong Kong for CIA Bishop and young friend Sheng Ti. Feng Imports has sent false reports for two months, co-owner Detweiler, now addict, lives in store. Psychic Hitchins seeks Inspector Hao for his son Alec. Eric the Red leads terrorists to take over the citadel and city within days. Robin, now with Interpol, and Cyrus help.
Published August 12th 1986 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa SeeThe Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanShanghai Girls by Lisa SeeThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Best Novels That Take Place in China
117th out of 282 books — 773 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Color Purple by Alice WalkerEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardMatilda by Roald DahlWatchmen by Alan Moore
Best Books of the Decade: 1980's
371st out of 1,199 books — 1,236 voters

More lists with this book...

(Aside: the tracking bug they put on Mrs. Pollifax is referred to as an "ackameter." I assumed this was a real thing, but it gets absolutely no hits in a google search!)

The most dark of the Mrs Pollifax books I've read recently. Not as much lyrical description of the landscape as in Golden Triangle - but I suppose that is in part because the setting is Hong Kong, very urban.

The penultimate chapter is quite compelling from a narrative perspective. Mrs P has been through the worst and final admi
This book rather surprised me. I'm used to the Mrs. Pollifax books being light and very funny, with Mrs. Pollifax getting in to scrapes and then finding unusual ways to come out of them. While she still comes out on top in the end, in this novel she falls into a terrible trap and pays dearly for it - making this book not quite as much "fun" but still very good. Definitely a story that departs from the formula of the first ones.
Trouble is brewing in Hong Kong, and who better to investigate than Mrs. Pollifax? When Bishop shows up at her house with the details of her new assignment - and gets a quick tour of her new residence - Mrs. P jumps at the chance to escape the rainy springtime in the northeastern US in exchange for sunny, warm Hong Kong. But when she gets there, she soon finds out that nothing is as she assumed - and she quickly finds herself up to her neck in intrigue and danger...more than she bargained for, b ...more
An Odd1
On Monday, Emily Pollifax goes to Hong Kong where CIA Bishop, in green glen plaid suit, says her old friend Sheng Ti, is in trouble at Feng Imports, the past two months reports from co-owner Detweiler are wrong. Friend Robin, former jewel thief, now works for Interpol. On same plane comes psychic Hitchens. who seeks Inspector father for Alec Hao. On Friday, terrorists led by Eric Red plan to take over citadel and city.

(view spoiler)
This book was written and published quite some time ago and has hung around in my TBR pile for a very long time. I finally picked it up and quite enjoyed it. It was definitely dated but aged well. Coincidentally I had recently read another book published the same year, and Mrs. Pollifax had a much better portrayal of women. I expected to see a somewhat dated approach to the role and portrayal of women but the attitudes of the characters seemed realistic for the times. The main character, and oth ...more
Mrs. Pollifax goes to Hong Kong, again willingly accepting a job for the CIA that is touted to her once more as being a simple job. This time, though, it is not merely a courier job, but involves some real spying. In this story she is less cautious in what she does, and I felt that she had become perhaps over-confident because of her increased experience through previous adventures. Because of the easily swallowed implausibility of previous stories, I had come to expect that she would come throu ...more
Mrs. Pollifax is sent to Hong Kong to investigate some disturbing circumstances with a young man she helped rescue from China. Carstairs thinks something is up and it turns out he was right. Mrs. Pollifax once again finds herself in a dangerous spot. Between her own wits, her husband, an old friend, and new acquaintances she must find a way out before it's too late.

This one had a slightly darker plot than previous titles. Not sure how I feel about that, but overall I did enjoy the book. I'm look
Mark Baker
It'd been too long since I had visited this old friend. In this book, the newly remarried Mrs. Pollifax sets off to Hong Kong to find out why one of Carstairs' informants has started sending him bogus information. Naturally, she is quickly in over her head. The formula is intact, although the finale of the book is very dark for the series (though not for a spy novel) and a bit rushed.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
This was less fun, but better done, than all of the Pollifax books I'd read before it. As Mrs. P. becomes more of a professional spy, her craft -- and what it can lead to -- are necessary parts of the story. Bravo, I guess, to Dorothy Gilman for being willing to write a character who develops over time, and for being willing to have villains who can't all be charmed by a seemingly-harmless little old lady-type hero. It still doesn't make it fun to read a chapter that involves the brutal beating ...more
What an exciting retirement! The idea appeals to me of an older person who has some adventures after raising children. However, in reality, I wouldn't want my Grandma doing those things. I should learn some martial arts because, I like to be unexpected, unassuming, secretly awesome.
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the seventh in the series...I missed the sixth and need to go find it. I hate gaps in series books.

Old friends show back up here and Mrs. Pollifax comes through with her usual panache. These are good (and fun) reads and I recommend them.
As other reviewers have mentioned, this was a much darker story than we are used to from the series. However, the reviewers seem to recommend the next one, so I look forward to reading that!
Once again, I don't like torture scenes but the rest of the book is good.
I'm about halfway through the Mrs. Pollifax series and I really like the stories. The stories are fun, dramatic and adventurous and I love the fact that a retired widow (newly remarried, of course) is the heroine of a spy novel. I think of it as a Jessica Fletcher-meets-John le Carré kind of tale.

I really enjoyed the first few books in the series and I was eager to read more about this entertaining character. This book takes us to Hong Kong and Mrs. Pollifax does not fail to deliver an exciting
Jenn Estepp
It wasn't my favorite in the series (newly-wedded Mrs. Pollifax is spirited away to Hong Kong to investigate an agent who is sending increasingly odd reports back to Langley and re-connect with a man who she has previously helped escape China and, of course, stumbles onto something much bigger). That said, it's enjoyable and awfully nice when some familiar characters pop up. And the new friends that she makes here are utterly charming.
I finished listening to the audiobook 'Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha' earlier this week. It was quite good, but not quite as good as some of the earlier ones in the series. It was neat that Mrs. P met up with several characters from the other books (Robin and Sheng Ti) and that really added some interest and depth to this story. Still a very intriguing story and I would still recommend this book. :)
Mrs Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha was recommended to me my my daughter. It tells a light "secret agent" story in 1991-era Hong Kong, starring everybody's favourite secret agent grandmother, Mrs Pollifax.

I feel a little bad giving it as low of a rating as I am. It might be light reading for grandmothers, but I think there must be a lot of better books in the world, and so I don't think I'd be interested in reading others in the series.
Janice Stribl
The Hong Kong agent is sending questionable reports. Mrs. Pollifax is sent to check this out with his assistant Sheng Ti, who she helped escape from China a year ago. Why has the agent not gone home for 2 months? Why is Sheng Ti so scared? Why is the psychic she meet on the plane attacked? What is the cat burglar she met in Switzerland doing in Hong Kong pretending to be a millionare?
When I was a child I remember my grandmother reading and loving Mrs Pollifax. This book was a joke between us from years and she gave it to me at least 10 years ago. It took me until now to read. Not only is Mrs Pollifax a bad ass but she is simply one of a kind. I found myself loving the descriptions of her clothing and her mannerisms. She was so polite and an expert at Karate. Will definitely read more!!!!!
Georgia Carvalho
Oh, Mrs. P. how much I enjoy your adventures! Although this was much more violent and dark than the usual Mrs. Pollifax fare, it was very well done. Interesting how Dorothy Gilman was able to foreshadow the rise of terrorism as a theme in international politics. Great to have a visit with Robin, now Interpol agent and to see how Cyrus fits in.

Mrs Pollifax saves the world again

Another wonderful adventure with Emily. The plot kept me guessing what would happen next. I learned a little bit of geography and history. This series has taught me how good it is to be observant of my surroundings.
Cleverly constructed and enjoyable reading. This was a great break from a longer book I was reading and feeling bored with. Once I finish up a number of books I have stacked up I shall check out earlier Mrs. Pollifax books.
Connie Wallace
Excellent read

A wonderfully told fictional story with historical threads, combined with action, mystery, romance and humor. Not too heavy but very addicting.
While trying to help a friend from the previous book Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station and Joining forces with a Interpol agent, Mrs. Pollifax finds their cases intertwined.
Fredrick Danysh
The grandmotherly CIA agent to investigate a fellow agent who has become unreliable. During her investigation she comes face to face with a well known terrorists.
Hong Kong fabulous

Loved the story and colorful details very suspenseful and informative as well never pass up mrs polifax in a story
Beverly Temporal
This book did not grab me like the others did. Definitely worth the read and still entertaining, but just not as captivating.
Gena Lott
Gilman delights the reader with the variety of settings she uses for the Mrs. Pollifax series. Another great installment.
Summary: "Like the proverbial first potato chip [this book] gives you an irresistible craving for the first six Mrs. Pollifax books."Newport News DAILY PRESSAlthough recently married, Mrs. Pollifax is packed and ready to go to China, where a young agent, Sheng Ti, holds the answers to goings on at the sinister Feng Imports--a one-time agency front. Only Mrs. Pollifax has earned Sheng's trust, and only she can possibly stop what turns out to be a frightening and ominous plot involving drugs, smug ...more
I just finished rereading this story, I think so far this is the hardest mission Mrs. Pollifax has had to do.
  • Silhouette in Scarlet (Vicky Bliss, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher #20)
  • Teufelsfrucht (Xavier Kieffer, #1)
Dorothy Gilman started writing when she was 9. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. Dorothy worked as an art teacher and telephone operator before becoming an author. She wrote children’s stories for more than ten years under the name Dorothy Gilman Butters and then began writing adult novels about Mrs. Pollifax–a retired grandmother who becomes a ...more
More about Dorothy Gilman...

Mrs Pollifax (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax  (Mrs. Pollifax #1)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax
  • A Palm for Mrs Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax, #4)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs. Pollifax, Book 8)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish (Mrs. Pollifax, # 9)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax, #10)
  • Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax, #11)
The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax  (Mrs. Pollifax #1) The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5) A Palm for Mrs Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax, #4)

“Drama!" said Mr. Hitchens.

Robin Shrugged. "That's what terrorism is, basically--pure theater. Nothing in particular is ever accomplished by it, other than to focus attention on a small group of people who seize absolute power by threatening everything that holds civilization together."

"Absolute power," mused Mrs. Pollifax. "Like monstrous children thumbing their noses at adults who live by codes and laws and scruples."

Robin said in a hard voice, "In my line of work I've tangled with narcotic dealers and suppliers--that's Interpol's job--and I can say of them that at least they give value for their money. If what they sell destroys human lives their victims cooperate by choice in their own destruction, and if drug dealers bend and break every law in the book they at least know the laws.

"But terrorists--" He shook his head. "They're the parasites of the century. They want to make a statement, they simply toss a bomb or round up innocent people to hold hostage, or kill without compunction, remorse or compassion. If they need money, they simply rob a bank. I have to admit not only my contempt for them," he added, "but my fear, too, because their only passion is to mock and to destroy, and that really is frightening.”