The Ravenscar Dynasty (Ravenscar #1)

The Ravenscar Dynasty (Ravenscar #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  922 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Bestselling author Barbara Taylor Bradford introduced the illustrious Harte family in her blockbuster A Woman of Substance. Now she has created a powerful new cast of characters whose lives are filled with drama and danger, romance and revenge: the Deravenels.

IN ONE HEARTBEAT THEIR LIVES CHANGED FOREVER�
When Cecily Deravenel tells her eighteen-year-old son Edward of th
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published July 31st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2006)

Rebecca Huston
Some books I come across look great from the outside and the blurb is interesting, but when I finally settle down and read them, I discover that it is a heap of steaming manure. Such was the case with this one, loosely based on the Wars of the Roses, moved to the early Edwardian period and a family rivalry that ignites murder, double-dealing, love affairs and revenge. Unfortunately, the story is transformed into such lightweight drivel that I was more than ready to fling it at the wall in annoya...more
Melvin Mathews
For me, this book was very ordinary. Edward Deravenel, as a character, is pretty much perfect - the perfect son, the perfect brother, the perfect lover, the perfect businessman. And so he is boring. The characters around him are all pretty much one-dimensional, The dialogues are a little cheesy. Some plots were hinted at and never properly explored, while all of Edward's romantic relationships are explored with excessive detail. 3/4ths of the book is devoted to how Edward manages to oust the Gra...more
Joe
This is an absolutely god-awful read as this has to be one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. I would have given it a negative rating if it were possible. I picked up the audio book on a whim at the library for a recent trip and this is certainly 16 hours of my life that I will never get back. The plot line is predictable to anyone who has the least bit of knowledge about the War of the Roses. The writing is simplistic, and the characters are all one dimensional and as a consequence...more
Beanse
God almighty, what did I get myself into reading this crappy book? Now I have comitted myself to finishing the series I can only hope it does not drag on like a bad soap opera for the final two instalments.

The book itself is long winded, overly written dribble that takes way too damn long to arrive at a point. Had the writer or editor shorted it by twenty or so chapters this would have been a fine read. Instead, they let it drag on..... and on.... and wait, even more ON, until it final ends. On...more
Terri
Overall, I enjoyed this book. But I have to say I felt the ending was very rushed. Seemed to be way too much "internal" thought, just to finish it off and take us to the next book in the trilogy. I love following a family sage over a period of years and like A Woman of Substance, the author did accomplish this. I have The Heir, book 2 in the trilogy, but I'll wait awhile before getting into that one.
Weaverannie
Jaren geleden werden op de Nederlandse televisie series uitgezonden, naar boeken van Barbara Taylor Bradford. Daarom nam ik dit boek mee van de bibliotheek: ik wilde haar werk nu wel eens zelf lezen.
Het boek was dik. Er kwam geen eind aan de lofzangen op de geweldige hoofdpersoon Edward Deravenel. Als hij achttien jaar oud is, komen zijn vader, zijn broer, en neven om bij een brand in Italië. Hij wordt dan gelijk hoofd van het gezin en zou ook het hoofd moeten zijn van de firma, die al jaren een...more
Chels
This book was so-so, but I don't think I'd recommend it to any of my friends. A little to many "romantical encounters", if you know what I mean.
Alicia
Shenali
Although I finished reading this book, I'm indifferent to its story. From other books, even though there isn't a main overall moral to every book, there is atleast an appealing love story a family story, a mystery to be solved, or something that just keeps you reading wanting to know more.
This story started out well, Edward Deravenel, the heir to the family fortune has to take control after his father and brother are killed a mysterious incident. He is an exceptionally good looking, charming, in...more
Laurel-Rain
Barbara Taylor Bradford’s Harte Dynasty series is one of my all-time favorites.

I had launched this Ravenscar Dynasty series by reading one out of order (“Being Elizabeth”), so I decided to back up and start at the beginning.

“The Ravenscar Dynasty” is set near the beginning of the twentieth century, in England, and sweeps across Europe at points along the journey. The Deravenel family is poised to reclaim its birthright as head of the company Deravenels.

This latest attempt to reclaim the company...more
Cherry Young
Aug 23, 2008 Cherry Young rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sorry, Can't really recommend it.
Recommended to Cherry by: No one
Don't think I've read a book by this author. Picked it up for a little "light" reading. Was disappointed in the character development and somewhat in the plot. Hard to accept that a 19 year old could step in and run a global company, even if this is set in early 1900's England. Characters are introduced into the plot and then not fleshed out completely. For example, I never could get a handle on Margot Grant and then she just disappeared in the plot even though some very dastardly deeds were hin...more
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
To be honest, I'm a bit ambivalent about this one. I don't know how many of the disappointments with this book are due to abridgment. Further, there were aspects of the CD that marred my enjoyment of the audiobook. Perhaps I'll start with that, before reflecting on the content.
The narrator had a pleasant enough voice, one which I couldn't help thinking wouldn't sound out of place reading children's stories on the radio. Because of the abridgment (one presumes) there were no chapter demarcations,...more
Michaela Lake
Set at the beginning of the twentieth century, this story evokes the period well. There are twists and turns in the plot to keep the reader entertained and the denouement is sufficiently conclusive to satisfy, whilst still leaving a desire to know what happens next. Masterly!

Not sure about the main character. Am I supposed to like him or not? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Maybe that's the point.

Whatever, I shall be looking for the next instalment in due course.
Anya
Hmm, hoe kan ik dit boek het beste beschrijven... Als een stationroman met een dozijn extra hoofdstukken? Want zo voorspelbaar en zo langdradig was het wel. Of misschien moet ik het boek "steriel" noemen; de taal en de compositie van de zinnen voelde anders zo wel aan. Maar misschien lag dat laatste aan de vertaling van Engels naar Nederlands...

Eerlijk gezegd had ik een totaal ander boek verwacht. Er was genoeg intrige voor een boeiend verhaal te kunnen opbouwen, maar tussens ons gezegd en gezwe...more
Amy Delano
This book is full of clichés and too perfect characters, the author even mixes up some of the names ( Henry Grant starts out as Harry Grant)- it seems like this book wasn't edited because there are so many errors. I'm not sure if I will finish this book. The reading level is so low I think I could have written it in 7th grade. The idea of the story is good - but it is an incoherent, jumbled up mess.
Karen
Bradford updates the complex family dynamics involved in the War of the Roses. Using the appearances, personalities, and life events of King Edward V and his Richard Neville (Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker), Bradford creates a struggle for the Deravenel financial empire between Edward Deravenel, with the support of his cousin Neville Watkins, and Henry Grant set between 1904 and 1916.

This volume begins slightly before the death of Edward's father, younger brother, Uncle, and cousin during a tri...more
Lyla Ibrahim
What a disappointment. The plot and story timeline are a mess. Reading one chapter it's the present time. Then all of a sudden the next chapter is already two months later. No indication or a date written whatsoever.

A lot of potential plots are not explored well. Reading the synopsis I expected that the enemy is somewhat ruthless and are willing to do anything to get the company. But reading this story, all the schemes to get the company and also the betrayal that happened are so lame and somew...more
~mad
Another good saga BUT it dragged badly in places. The fact that the author was BTB kept me going - now to find the third and forth part of the series.
Pooja
This is probably the worst BTB book i have read till now. Why did i even bother starting it.
Jody
BTB's Ravenscar Dynasty was an easy, light read. However,I did enjoy the Harte Family series more. This is historical fiction with a plot of retaking the family business, which was illegally taken from them by another family member 60 years ago. The main character is Edward, who seems a bit too perfect, with the exception of his womanizing. I found him hard to like and did not get why he chose to marry a wife who was the "enemy" other than her beauty, which makes Edward rather shallow. I will pr...more
Molly
This is probably my least favorite of BTB's books. I don't know if it was the fact it mirrored War of the Roses or if it was the fact it came to a conclusion too fast, then faltered. The 3rd part of the book contained a weak, volatile marriage which dwindled into nothingness, and a plot which was foiled before gaining strength. I rather lost respect for Edward after reading a chapter or two into the 3rd part; his character stagnated. I'll probably reread this one in 10 years or so.
Mirah W
I thought this book was pretty good...I kept hearing people compare it to Woman of Substance and I just didn't think it was up to par with that. The plot is good and well-developed...in classic Bradford stye there are unexpected twists and connections. The characters are ok, but I don't like Edward as much as I'd like to since he's the "hero" of the family. And some of the dialog could use a revision.
Ink
If you like melodrama or soap-operas, this book is for you.
Samantha
This book is the one for you if you like frothy, soap opera type books. The main character is Edward Deravenel and is about the family dynasty and business empire he creates, and the various women he loves. Fairly predictable, with two dimensional characters. It may not be To kill a mocking bird, however sometimes you want to read a light piece.
Cindy J
Jan 15, 2008 Cindy J rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of family saga's
I loved Barbara Taylor Bradford's "Emma Harte" series/saga and so I had high expectations for this new saga. At first I wasn't sure if I liked this book or not but the closer to the end I got, I realized that it's very good and was looking forward to the next book. It's not as good as the "Emma Harte" saga but it's worth reading.
Readstoomuch
I have never read one of her books before this one. I am injoying it so far ... only on chapt. 16 or so today. It seems to be a sort of who-done-it with saga overtones with just a touch of romance/intrigue thrown in for flavor!

Finished this one and did enjoy it ... and, will probably check out the sequel from the library soon.
Jenise
Was so excited to see a new book by this author. enjoyed the story: the triumphs and the tragedies that changed the lives of the characters. There's enough intrigue to keep the book interesting! As soon as the other two books came out, just had to read 'em. always know that i'll enjoy her books and look forward to them.
Hannio J
So it started well but then it suddenly slowed and by slowed I mean slowed. It was incredibly long and the majority of that word count seemed to be describing the characters and how incredibly beautiful they were. I mean don't get me wrong I don't mind description but this was just over the top.

To be honest I'm glad its over
Shannon Renee
Really 4.5. I love the idea of a historical fiction using modern language. It's awesome! I got sucked into this novel (losely based on the War of the Roses). I immediately went back to the library and got the sequel. So happy for once to read a series starting with the first book! (And I didn't even know it was a series!)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • Rancher Wants a Wife (Mail-Order Weddings, #1)
  • Random Winds
  • A Summer in the Country
  • Anyone but Him
  • Queenie
  • Home at Rose Cottage: Three Down the Aisle\What's Cooking?
  • Chocolate Girls
  • The Promise
  • Married Lovers
  • Kane and Abel - The Prodical Daughter - Not a Penny More Not a Penny Less
  • Up and Down in the Dales
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 25 bestselling novels, including Playing the Game, Breaking the Rules, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Wom...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...
A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1) Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2) To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3) Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5) Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)