Start by marking “The Ravenscar Dynasty (Ravenscar #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ravenscar Dynasty (Ravenscar #1)

The Ravenscar Dynasty (Ravenscar #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  1,301 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Bestselling author Barbara Taylor Bradford introduced the illustrious Harte family in her blockbuster A Woman of Substance. Now she has created a powerful new cast of characters whose lives are filled with drama and danger, romance and revenge: the Deravenels.

IN ONE HEARTBEAT THEIR LIVES CHANGED FOREVER…
When Cecily Deravenel tells her eighteen-year-old son Edward of the de
Published July 31st 2007 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Ravenscar Dynasty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ravenscar Dynasty

Rebecca Huston
Some books I come across look great from the outside and the blurb is interesting, but when I finally settle down and read them, I discover that it is a heap of steaming manure. Such was the case with this one, loosely based on the Wars of the Roses, moved to the early Edwardian period and a family rivalry that ignites murder, double-dealing, love affairs and revenge. Unfortunately, the story is transformed into such lightweight drivel that I was more than ready to fling it at the wall in annoya ...more
Beanse
Jun 11, 2012 Beanse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God almighty, what did I get myself into reading this crappy book? Now I have comitted myself to finishing the series I can only hope it does not drag on like a bad soap opera for the final two instalments.

The book itself is long winded, overly written dribble that takes way too damn long to arrive at a point. Had the writer or editor shorted it by twenty or so chapters this would have been a fine read. Instead, they let it drag on..... and on.... and wait, even more ON, until it final ends. On
Terri
Nov 26, 2008 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoyed this book. But I have to say I felt the ending was very rushed. Seemed to be way too much "internal" thought, just to finish it off and take us to the next book in the trilogy. I love following a family sage over a period of years and like A Woman of Substance, the author did accomplish this. I have The Heir, book 2 in the trilogy, but I'll wait awhile before getting into that one.
Cormac Healy
A real turd of a book. Essentially the plot of the Wars of the Roses is transposed to Edwardian Britain, resulting in a disjointed, over-long, poorly written piece of crap.

I have literally nothing positive to say about it. The characters were all completely one-dimensional, either ridiculously perfect or comically evil. The plot was predictable and moronic. The writing was flowery and unnecessarily descriptive, adding absolutely nothing. I don't even want to talk about it any more.

Do not read
Laurel-Rain
Nov 06, 2008 Laurel-Rain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Taylor Bradford’s Harte Dynasty series is one of my all-time favorites.

I had launched this Ravenscar Dynasty series by reading one out of order (“Being Elizabeth”), so I decided to back up and start at the beginning.

“The Ravenscar Dynasty” is set near the beginning of the twentieth century, in England, and sweeps across Europe at points along the journey. The Deravenel family is poised to reclaim its birthright as head of the company Deravenels.

This latest attempt to reclaim the company
Joe
This is an absolutely god-awful read as this has to be one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. I would have given it a negative rating if it were possible. I picked up the audio book on a whim at the library for a recent trip and this is certainly 16 hours of my life that I will never get back. The plot line is predictable to anyone who has the least bit of knowledge about the War of the Roses. The writing is simplistic, and the characters are all one dimensional and as a consequence ...more
Chels
Feb 17, 2009 Chels rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so-so, but I don't think I'd recommend it to any of my friends. A little to many "romantical encounters", if you know what I mean.
Ann Vanhaeren
Jammer dat de beoordelingen juist waren..to easy story! Heb al beter gelezen...
Sidna
Barbara Taylor Bradford's books are my "guilty pleasure" when I am looking for light reading. I got this book when I was working in our library bookstore. It is the first in a trilogy and I had already read the second and third book--also from the library bookstore. I was happy to see this one on the shelf because I felt I had missed something in reading the other two.

This book is the strongest of the three books in the trilogy. We meet Edward Deravenel, who is 18 years old at the beginning of
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
To be honest, I'm a bit ambivalent about this one. I don't know how many of the disappointments with this book are due to abridgment. Further, there were aspects of the CD that marred my enjoyment of the audiobook. Perhaps I'll start with that, before reflecting on the content.
The narrator had a pleasant enough voice, one which I couldn't help thinking wouldn't sound out of place reading children's stories on the radio. Because of the abridgment (one presumes) there were no chapter demarcations,
Shenali
Jun 18, 2012 Shenali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I finished reading this book, I'm indifferent to its story. From other books, even though there isn't a main overall moral to every book, there is atleast an appealing love story a family story, a mystery to be solved, or something that just keeps you reading wanting to know more.
This story started out well, Edward Deravenel, the heir to the family fortune has to take control after his father and brother are killed a mysterious incident. He is an exceptionally good looking, charming, in
Weaverannie
May 26, 2014 Weaverannie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Jaren geleden werden op de Nederlandse televisie series uitgezonden, naar boeken van Barbara Taylor Bradford. Daarom nam ik dit boek mee van de bibliotheek: ik wilde haar werk nu wel eens zelf lezen.
Het boek was dik. Er kwam geen eind aan de lofzangen op de geweldige hoofdpersoon Edward Deravenel. Als hij achttien jaar oud is, komen zijn vader, zijn broer, en neven om bij een brand in Italië. Hij wordt dan gelijk hoofd van het gezin en zou ook het hoofd moeten zijn van de firma, die al jaren een
Kathy Elbinger
I wanted to love, adore this book, but only liked it. Barbara Taylor Bradford is a giant in the industry, which is probably why she could get away with so many storytelling no-nos. The one that distracted me the most was the 'as you know' and I know' phrases between the characters. It's as if the characters are turning, facing the camera, and cluing the reader in on what has happened in the past.
This story was indeed a well thought out saga, but I didn't care enough about the characters to cont
Cherry Young
Aug 23, 2008 Cherry Young rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sorry, Can't really recommend it.
Recommended to Cherry by: No one
Don't think I've read a book by this author. Picked it up for a little "light" reading. Was disappointed in the character development and somewhat in the plot. Hard to accept that a 19 year old could step in and run a global company, even if this is set in early 1900's England. Characters are introduced into the plot and then not fleshed out completely. For example, I never could get a handle on Margot Grant and then she just disappeared in the plot even though some very dastardly deeds were hin ...more
Alicia
Mar 24, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Anya
Nov 04, 2011 Anya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm, hoe kan ik dit boek het beste beschrijven... Als een stationroman met een dozijn extra hoofdstukken? Want zo voorspelbaar en zo langdradig was het wel. Of misschien moet ik het boek "steriel" noemen; de taal en de compositie van de zinnen voelde anders zo wel aan. Maar misschien lag dat laatste aan de vertaling van Engels naar Nederlands...

Eerlijk gezegd had ik een totaal ander boek verwacht. Er was genoeg intrige voor een boeiend verhaal te kunnen opbouwen, maar tussens ons gezegd en gezwe
Karen
Jul 14, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: appeal-emotions
Bradford updates the complex family dynamics involved in the War of the Roses. Using the appearances, personalities, and life events of King Edward V and his Richard Neville (Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker), Bradford creates a struggle for the Deravenel financial empire between Edward Deravenel, with the support of his cousin Neville Watkins, and Henry Grant set between 1904 and 1916.

This volume begins slightly before the death of Edward's father, younger brother, Uncle, and cousin during a tri
Lyla Ibrahim
What a disappointment. The plot and story timeline are a mess. Reading one chapter it's the present time. Then all of a sudden the next chapter is already two months later. No indication or a date written whatsoever.

A lot of potential plots are not explored well. Reading the synopsis I expected that the enemy is somewhat ruthless and are willing to do anything to get the company. But reading this story, all the schemes to get the company and also the betrayal that happened are so lame and somew
Elisabete
I have never formerly read Bradford's books, so I'm going to be impartial in saying that this book was a disappointing read.

I got the book browsing around and the cover caught my eye, along with the title and blurb. Excited to make a leap to the War of Roses, I bought it.

This book has a habit of jumping back and forth between corporate and romantic escapedes, and while I don't mind it badly, everything has to be done in moderation.

The characters were flat in development, in my general opinion
Daisy
Aug 01, 2014 Daisy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually my rating is 3.75
I found this story interesting but everytime I would get sucked into the plot the pairing of words would distract me. What I mean by this is that in almost every chapter I was told which relationships were going to suffer and which were going to turn out just fine. This was unnecessary since the author had set up characters and situations that already foreshadowed what was to come. It seemed like she was doing this in case people didn't understand what was going on. Thi
Jody
Jun 01, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BTB's Ravenscar Dynasty was an easy, light read. However,I did enjoy the Harte Family series more. This is historical fiction with a plot of retaking the family business, which was illegally taken from them by another family member 60 years ago. The main character is Edward, who seems a bit too perfect, with the exception of his womanizing. I found him hard to like and did not get why he chose to marry a wife who was the "enemy" other than her beauty, which makes Edward rather shallow. I will pr ...more
Haylie
Dec 20, 2015 Haylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this first instalment of the trilogy. Because I know the area described, I felt connected to it. This, for me, really was a page turner. I'm a fan of BTB and her through time sagas, but the first book in this particular trilogy is definitely the best. The second book (Heirs of Ravenscar) is good and continued well, but the third book (Being Elizabeth) was awful. This marred how much I enjoyed the first book. On it's own, I loved this book, but do feel it was let down by the th ...more
Anne Marie
This is another one of Barbara Taylor Bradford's family saga of novels. This book took us through the lives of the Deravenel family, namely Edward and his quest to run the Deravenel company. I felt this book had two stories...one was about the company and all the brothers and cousins that helped run it or wanted the power for themselves. The other story was of Edward's personal life...the mistresses, his wife, and children. Nothing too exciting..I feel maybe since this is one of Bradford's later ...more
Mirah W
Jul 22, 2011 Mirah W rated it liked it
I thought this book was pretty good...I kept hearing people compare it to Woman of Substance and I just didn't think it was up to par with that. The plot is good and well-developed...in classic Bradford stye there are unexpected twists and connections. The characters are ok, but I don't like Edward as much as I'd like to since he's the "hero" of the family. And some of the dialog could use a revision.
Molly
Jun 01, 2013 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favorite of BTB's books. I don't know if it was the fact it mirrored War of the Roses or if it was the fact it came to a conclusion too fast, then faltered. The 3rd part of the book contained a weak, volatile marriage which dwindled into nothingness, and a plot which was foiled before gaining strength. I rather lost respect for Edward after reading a chapter or two into the 3rd part; his character stagnated. I'll probably reread this one in 10 years or so.
Michaela Lake
Set at the beginning of the twentieth century, this story evokes the period well. There are twists and turns in the plot to keep the reader entertained and the denouement is sufficiently conclusive to satisfy, whilst still leaving a desire to know what happens next. Masterly!

Not sure about the main character. Am I supposed to like him or not? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Maybe that's the point.

Whatever, I shall be looking for the next instalment in due course.
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
I am somewhat on the fence about this book. While I usually enjoy family sagas, this novel was a bit superficial and overly simplistic. While the reader gets to know the characters, I really didn't care for them as I have in other BTB novels. The story was alright and I read it to the end. From 1903 to 1918, the reader is lead through the lives, loves and losses of this noble English family, The Deravenel's. Will I read the next novel, time will tell.
Samantha
This book is the one for you if you like frothy, soap opera type books. The main character is Edward Deravenel and is about the family dynasty and business empire he creates, and the various women he loves. Fairly predictable, with two dimensional characters. It may not be To kill a mocking bird, however sometimes you want to read a light piece.
Liz
Nov 03, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. At times, it seemed to jump from place to place and time to time with little reason or warning. The ending was abrupt. I was looking for something like her book A Woman of Substance and did not find it at all in this one. I did enjoy parts of the book and thought the characters were well developed.
Sara L
Jan 27, 2016 Sara L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I actually didn't finish this book. I think the number of books that have been so bad I didn't finish them is still in single digits, if that is any indication. The subject had potential to be interesting, but the book was written in a very choppy manner. I found it hard to focus on the story because I was caught up in the writing style. Not worth buying from the bargain shelf.
  • Mermaids Singing
  • Scandal In The Village
  • Always on my mind
  • Water Gypsies
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • The Flowers Of The Field
  • Inheritance
  • Dear Teacher
  • The Little Village School
  • Plough the Furrow
  • Leigh (Women of Ivy Manor, #3)
  • Package Deal
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...

Ravenscar (3 books)
  • The Heir (Ravenscar, #2)
  • Being Elizabeth (Ravenscar, #3)