Start by marking “Forgiving” as Want to Read:
Forgiving

Forgiving

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,369 ratings  ·  58 reviews
There's a place in every heart for forgiving....

SARAH

She came to Deadwood, a rough and tumble western town, with an ambitious dream of starting a newspaper. But her journey had another purpose--to find her sister and mend the family tie that was severed years ago, when Addie left home with a hardened heart--and without an explanation.

NOAH

The thought of this headstrong woma
Mass Market Paperback, 452 pages
Published February 1st 1992 by Jove (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Forgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgiving

Taylor
"Forgiving" takes you through about every emotion possible. You go from "aww how sweet" to "why in the heck did he do that", not to forget the "Dang it! I hate this book, yet love it at the same time"!
"Forgiving" is about a young, middle-aged woman who has come to a new town, to inform a sister she hasn't seen in years that her father has died. Not only is she excited to see her sister, but she also plans to open up a printing press there as well. Unfortunately, her sister doesn't share her f
Lyuda
Mixed feeling about this one. The setting is 1876 South Dakota, the mining town of Deadwood. You can tell the author did a lot of research about the historical town and events surrounded it. The reader gets a very good sense of place and time period through many factoids sprinkled throughout the story. The sprinkle was more like pouring in some places and was dragging the story a bit. There were two love stories in the book. The first one future a strong and independent business woman Sarah who ...more
Jan
Feb 04, 2015 Jan added it
I loved this book so much I could almost cry over it....wonderful dialogue, plot, background....another classic from Ms. Spencer.

If only every book at Barnes and Nobles was as captivating as this one....
TeresaFL
Found this in a bag of books at my aunts and picked it up to read when I ran out of what I'd taken with me on vacation. I enjoyed the story of the people and the town of Deadwood. The theme of forgiveness seems to be in several of the books I've been reading lately and was very much a part of this one. All of the main characters came to realize that without forgiving others, and themselves, it is impossible not only to love but to be loved. An easy read.
Eva Manayon
Love, betrayal, lust, challenges, and forgiveness, this book is on the high note. It was already 4am of Oct 11 when I finished it. I’m down with the last two chapters, I’m feeling groggy and sleepy but I can’t put it down, I want to finish it, read each word, and embrace the emotions of each and every character. This book gives me more reason to give respect to myself when it comes to entering a relationship. It discusses how pride can suffocate us. How selfishness and dirty mind of people aroun ...more
TJ
I have not found a LaVyrle Spencer book, yet that is not beautifully written, she just has a gift. The story in "Forgiving", however, is a little slow-going. Wonderful, interesting characters, just not too much going on for the better part of the book.
Lori Schiele
Stuck in the hospital without anything to read, I happened to find "Forgiving" in a stack of to-borrow books. It was missing the hardback cover so I truly had no idea what the plot was or what to expect. I'm still not sure if that was a good thing or not.
Based around the year 1876 in the Dakota Territory during the gold rush, the story follows a woman who travels to this "back woods" area to start the first newspaper of the Territory. She is met with a mixture of defiance and celebration, as w
Peggy N
An interesting book set in the Gold Rush days of the late 1800's. The story is about a woman who goes west to find her sister who left homeover a decade before to let her know that their father had died. When Sarah arrives in the Dakota Territory in 1876, she finds that her sister Addie, now known as Eve, is a prostitute at one of the brothels in the "badlands" near the end of town. One of the first persons she comes in contact with is Noah Campbell, the newly elected town marshal. The quickly b ...more
Christine
I thought I had never read a book by this author before, but as I was catalog browsing the synopsis for this book caught my attention. It sounded so familiar. It didn't take me many pages of reading to realize I had read it at 16 or 17. My memories of it were surprisingly accurate after all these years. They were sweet and fond memories. That's largely what earned it 4 stars. There aren't many books I can say that about.

Rereading it as an adult, however, made it clear that my tastes and expectat
Liz Flaherty
May 06, 2014 Liz Flaherty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes 19th century American romance
I just read this book for probably the fifth time. Although I love all of Spencer's books, this is probably my favorite. The theme of forgiving is there and prevalent, and I admit that is also a favorite of mine. But Spencer is a characterization wizard and she was at her best in this. Not the least of the characters was the town of Deadwood itself. There were, I've read, historical inaccuracies; I don't care. It was a touching, beautiful read. I have never thanked her for it, so now I am.
Sara Pauff
A tender-hearted historical romance with two really great female protagonists. I was especially fond of Sarah Merritt, the gutsy editor who travels to Deadwood to start a newspaper and reconnect with her wayward sister. I loved how she values her independence while also struggling with loneliness. You can tell Spencer did her research into frontier living, though sometimes she has a tendency to dump all her facts in one paragraph. If you like historicals and are looking for a happy ending, I'd d ...more
Virginia Markhart
I bought this book at the Goodwill store in Redding. I had just finished two by the same author and wanted to try another. This one was totally different from the other two. It started out very bland and stayed that way until practically the middle then got very interesting.

Tis book tells the story of a woman who travels to the Dakota Territory in 1877 searching for her siser who ran away from home several years earlier. The sister is now a prostitute in the local brothel. Devasted by the news t
Julie
I listened to this book in audio format and I have read it years ago and enjoyed it. The theme of this book touches your heart as at one time or other in our lives we need to forgive or be forgiven. The characters are real and believable.
Victor
Ok, so I have been locked into the 21st century of romance writers and decided what the heck. Let's see what these Hall of Fame writers of the 80's and 90's were about. LaVyrle can write and the accurancy of this historical fiction was brought to mind in a most vivd way.

You will like/love the novel as two heartwarming stories both of love and angst wind there way through the book. The descriptions of what life in Deadwood was like in those days make me glad I wasn't there.
The romance in this boo
Sue
More like a 3.75, it was good and definitely well fleshed out. But the angst at least from my perspective was way overboard on how it impacted the lead character. She was a strong woman yet she let something that she had no part in control her behavior. She was logical, brilliant, spunky and caring yet when faced with a personal disaster she let it cower her. Not exactly a vehicle I enjoy for the most part. But LS definitely saves it by the added drama of town life in Deadwood, yes that Deadwood ...more
Tricia
I was so frustrated with this book but in a good way, so many times I went from cheering, to oh come on already...this book takes you thru all your emotions..fantastic read!!!!
Carol Pelzl
Great, great and great.

I have read every book she has written and now with my kindle.
oh can download them again and. enjoy.them all again
Amanda Tice
Loved it! Great historical romance and progress book. If you like this one, try Morning Glory...its one of my all time favorites!
sli_reads0321
This book was one of my very first HR reads and I can tell you truthfully that this was one of the few that had made me laughed out loudly, in awe and almost-cry!!!
Sarah is my favorite heroine - spunky, confident, maybe a little trouble-finder but knows her place, does not back down and stucks to what she believed in.
Now Noah, he may not be my most favorite but one my fave still. Funny, a gentleman, and sweet sweet sweet! I loved his kind of love that no matter what, he goes for it even if he wa
Becka Lassen
Book was a great read.. but just got really long! It could have easily ended at the 3/4 mark and been complete.
Rebecca Dean
Love, love, love the way Spencer writes.

I read this book in 1991 when it first came out and kept it. LaVryle is one of my favs.

Such interesting characters and her character development is truly her strong suit.

A fun story of strong personalities meeting. The printing press info was very interesting. The sisters dynamic, the marshall, the townspeople, it all was so well done. I am sure I will read it again.
Joy
long, long, long book....the hero and heroine have a great chemistry but nothing romantic/sexual happens until the last 3 pages of the book...such a long build up for such a small fizzle...it would be worth the long long long story if the sex was awesome, which i can say was NOT...no description, no hot and bothered, no panting and screaming...barely a low simmer..dissapointing for the characters of the book.
Emily
I almost put this book down with the intention of returning it to the library unfinished; however, I'm glad I gave it a second chance. The main character really rubbed me the wrong way in the beginning of the book, but grew on me about a quarter of the way through the book. All of the characters were well written and the story line never grew dull throughout the book.
Leah

4.5 stars. I would have given 5 but the last 50 pages just seemed to drag on. I read "Hummingbird" years ago and loved it, so I don't know why I've waited so long to read more by this author. It is set in Deadwood, SD in 1876 during the gold rush. I really enjoyed reading about the town as it was just starting up and growing.
nurmawati
Aug 20, 2013 nurmawati marked it as to-read
seru banget...ce nya ke tempat dimana populasi ce cuma dikit...niatnya mau mencari adiknya yang kabur en malah jadi ce bar.....
direbutin co2 (secara gw bilang tadi populasi ce nya cuma dikit...banyakan co hehe )...ntar meritnya ama sheriff kalo gak salah..
settingnya american klasik....
dulu di terjemahin sama kharisma...
Joyce Retherford
I have always enjoyed stories about the old West. This one was a peep inside the real world from back then. I can't say I would have enjoyed living back then but if I did I wouldn't have known any better would I.

The main characters are so real and I really like the relationships. Some things never change.
I like Spencer's novels, but I found this was to be disappointing. Sometimes her novels are old-fashioned and they can be a bit hokey, but this one just felt like it was full characters and plot to make it longer. Noah's family completely disappears -- why is that?
BC or Brenda
I thought that LaVyrle Spencer had stopped writing. When I finished the book I checked the copyright and it was 1991, so I don't know if this happens to be one of the books I missed or what. It touches on a serious topic and I liked the way she handled it.
  • Caroline and the Raider (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Homeward Hearts
  • Bitterleaf
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Simply Love
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • The Last True Cowboy
  • Dark Before the Rising Sun
  • Tempted by Your Touch (Brides of the Bloodstone, #1)
  • A Rose in Winter
  • The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • One Wore Blue (Cameron Family Saga, #4)
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • Apache Magic (Coltons, #1)
  • Temptation Calls (The Calling, #3)
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...
Morning Glory Small Town Girl Separate Beds Family Blessings That Camden Summer