The "Eclogues" And "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics)

The "Eclogues" And "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Translated by C. Day Lewis, with an introduction, historical sketch and notes by R.O.A.M. Lyne.
Published September 2nd 1999 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -39)

To ask other readers questions about The "Eclogues" And "Georgics", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The "Eclogues" And "Georgics"

Chris
I love used book sales. If you’ve ever gone ‘garage sale-ing’, then you’re probably familiar with the types of pushy scavengers that you might meet at a used book sale. You’d almost think Dickens had these bibliophiles in mind for his caricature of Scrooge in the opening chapter of A Christmas Carol: “…a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, …secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.” Solitary, that is, until they catch th...more
Evan Leach
The Eclogues and Georgics are the other two major works of Virgil, more famous for his Aeneid. The Eclogues, a collection of ten poems, were written around 38 b.c. Virgil modeled this collection off of the Greek Bucolic tradition, as exemplified by Theocritus.

Bucolic poetry, which generally involves shepherds frolicking around the pastoral countryside and singing to each other, is really (really) not my genre of choice. Eclogues II, IV, and X were the strongest of the bunch, in my opinion. Eclo...more
David
Virgil's Eclogues and Georgics precede his more well-known work The Aeneid and far surpass it it quality. The ten pastoral poems and the four books of agricultural prose that constitute this work show the poet in his true element and are what gained him the initial popularity. Stephen Harris seems to indicate the Eclogues and Georgics were well-received by the Romans of the day who may have been nostalgic for the agrarian lifestyle romanticized in these works of poetry. This initial popularity l...more
Andrada
I decided to take a break from Mishima and relax with a bit of pastoral poetry. The Eclogues were quite beautiful in their evocation of a idealized country life while the Georgics were at times tedious due to their agricultural theme. I found Hesiod's Works and Days that had the same topic much more entertaining due to Hesiod's entreaties to his good for nothing brother which made it humorous at times while the Georgics interspersed agricultural advice with allegory and mythological ruminations...more
Ryan
Virgil is interesting, to say the least. His apparent obsession with hard work and the country probably arose from his move from the countryside to Rome during Octavian's rise to power. I don't often enjoy poetry, but this time it was tolerable, so I gave it three stars. His reference to a boy savior born of a virgin is mysterious, but most likely refers to Octavian rather than Christ, as Augustine thought. Overall, it's a good read and insightful.
Sean Garrett
The Eclogues and Georgics are poems which concern the rising of a new age; while these have constantly been interpreted as Jesus Christ, it is more telling of a Roman Golden Age. The prose demonstrates why Virgil was considered a Wizard, weaving delicately from line to line. Subtle changes in pace and rhythm reflect the reader's eyes grazing the page, sometimes furiously consuming the text, sometimes slowly digesting the work. A must read.
D.A.
Slavitt sometimes plays a little fast and loose with Virgil, but his resulting poems are re-inventions that make the work very immediate, as it would have been for Virgil's audience. Best to read his translations alongside the Loeb translations.
Patrick
I can't say I'm particularly interested in the accumulated wisdom of Roman farmers, but Day-Lewis' translation of Virgil vividly evokes the sounds and patterns of rural life.
Miriam
Sep 09, 2009 Miriam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: a classicist who preferred Greek
Shelves: poetry
This wasn't the edition I read; mine was in Latin. I had to translate the Eclogues into English for a course. Maybe they would have been better had the class not met at 8 a.m.
Hayley Robinson
I enjoyed this book as accomplishing the discovery of Virgil's views and its beautiful language.
Idiolalia
The "Eclogues" and "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics) by Virgil (1999)
Jesse Whyte
Not my favorite translation. Notes are decent, though.
Idiolalia
Eclogues and Georgics (Thrift Edition) by Virgil (2005)
Snufkin
Pastoral poetry at its very best!
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Zuzana
Zuzana marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Seth Woodley
Seth Woodley marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Llamallama
Llamallama marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Donna Fischer
Donna Fischer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kuya
Kuya added it
Aug 24, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • Natural History: A Selection
  • Everybody Needs a Rock
  • Euripides 2: The Cyclops/Heracles/Iphigenia in Tauris/Helen
  • On Noah's Ark
  • Odes and Epodes (Loeb Classical Library)
  • A Child's Calendar
  • The Way Things Are: The De Rerum Natura
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
Publius Vergilius Maro (October 15, 70 BCE – September 21, 19 BCE), usually called Virgil or Vergil /ˈvɜrdʒəl/ in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He is known for three major works of Latin literature, the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.

Virgil is trad...more
More about Virgil...
The Aeneid Aeneid: Books I-VI The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition The Georgics Virgil: Eclogues. Georgics. Aeneid: Books 1-6 (Loeb Classical Library)