Start by marking “Mr. Williams” as Want to Read:
Mr. Williams

Mr. Williams

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The powerful and personal story of one American childhood

When Mr. Williams was a boy growing up in Arcadia, Louisiana, Calvin Coolidge was president, Martin Luther King Jr. had just been born, and children worked hard in the fields for most of the year.

Many years later, Karen Barbour grew up hearing Mr. Williams tell stories about his childhood. In this beautiful book,
Published September 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Williams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Williams

Rhayne
For most of us the idea of even growing our own food seems foreign but flashback 80 years ago and it wasn’t so uncommon. Mr. Williams by Karen Barbour is the story of a young man and his families who live on a farm. This family grows their own food, raise their own animals and actually spend time together, which is so unlike families of the modern age. This story from Barbour is a perfect rendition of a poor black family making their own in a time of little to no acceptance.

The ink images tha
Rachel Flan
This book was not what I thought it would be when I looked at the cover. I was hoping for some adventure or fun, but it turned out to be kind of boring. It was long and didn't really have a plot or main story besides that it was telling about Mr. Williams life.
Randie
An interesting biography of an African-American man growing up in Louisiana.

This book is also a great for making historical connections.
Janet
I would like to include this as a book in my media center. A lot of rich and varied language. The illustrations were exceptional as well.
Amy
An oral history of M. J. Williams as told by his friends. This story captures the feel of Mr. William's life.
Love the illustrations in this book! Scan a page or two for desktop wallpaper inspiration.
Kifflie
Lovely, evocative illustrations to go along with a simple but powerful story.
Kate
Nice, simple description of country life.
Susan
Susan added it
Oct 05, 2013
Erika O'neill
Erika O'neill marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Machim
Machim added it
Jul 30, 2010
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2009
Little Nino's Pizzeria Poetry for Young People: African American Poetry Mr. Bow Tie Nancy Dancing across the Page: Narrative and Embodied Ways of Knowing