Start by marking “Someone to Watch Over Me : A Novel” as Want to Read:
Someone to Watch Over Me : A Novel

Someone to Watch Over Me : A Novel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  5,230 ratings  ·  190 reviews
After her car is forced off the road and plunges into a river, Broadway star Leigh Kendall drifts back to consciousness and finds herself in a stone-cold medieval setting - in which she plays the role of a lady locked in a power struggle with a notoriously cruel British warlord.
Published February 18th 2003 by Atria (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Someone to Watch Over Me , please sign up.

Lydia Fred I am Lydia Fred i lives in united states and i was in a serious relationship with my Ex Guy for 3 good years.. One day we were in a dinner party, we…moreI am Lydia Fred i lives in united states and i was in a serious relationship with my Ex Guy for 3 good years.. One day we were in a dinner party, we had a little misunderstanding which lead to a Quarrel and he stood up and left me at the dinner party. i try to call him but he was not picking my calls so after than i contacted my brother and told him about it,my brother so much love me that he had to see him on my behalf,he told my brother that it is over between us. I cry all day, Then i contacted a friend of mine that had this similar experience and she directed me to Dr.Azuka, and i contacted him and tell him my problems how i lost my relationship with my lover. at first i thought it was not going to be possible.i was ask to come up with a little requirement information of me and my Ex Guy,so i did what i was ask to do, after 24Hours the spell was cast i was in my office when my Ex Guy called me and was asking me to forgive him and come back to him. i was very surprise it was like a dream to me. my ex is now back and he treat me very good. and our relationship is now stronger ask ever before. if you are act there looking for help is time for you to still put your hope on dr. azuka love spell, i promise you that you will be happy with your ex again email him. Greatazukalovespell@gmail.com or greatazukalovespell@yahoo.com tell +2348071398555.http://greatazukalovespell.webs.com(less)

Barbara M.
5 Stars...and most of you know I don't throw that out all to often...

This brilliant author just has it! She can write a book that reads like a movie and there are never any uncomfortable reading pauses... her style is flawless. "Someone to Watch Over Me" was filled with grand surprises, grand adventure and out of this world love. From page one you know you're in for a delicious ride.

"Michael watched her walk away. Did he mind waiting an hour for her?
Not at all.
He'd been waiting years for her."

T
Sophie ♥
I thought I might type up a review quickly for this one before I start a new book. So...

There are two things you need to know about this book
1. I would classify this as crime fiction not romance
2. There are essentially two main characters. We read Leigh's story but in between you'll read just as much about Sam (the female detective who is assigned to the case)

Before I started reading this I had mixed expectations. The reviews for this book hardly provoked any excitement but because it was Judith
Melody
I love Judith McNaught but I didn't recognised her style here. The beginning was a bit boring and I struggled to get into the story. Moreover the relationship betwen Michael and Leigh took too long to start (almost 200 pages if I remember correctly). Both characters were likeable but they won't be engraved in my memory as Judith McNaught's other couples.
Zumbagirl
After many years of not reading books regularly, I started reading again and it was sparked by McNaught. I didn't even know she had two new books that had been published - Every Breath You Take and this one. So I anxiously grabbed a copy and read it. I really enjoyed this book!!!
This is a murder-mystery and two love stories - many people complain about that in novels, but I actually liked it in this book. The heroine, Leigh, is a famous actress, works in NYC on Broadway. Her husband has gone mi
ElaineY
REVIEW OF ABRIDGED AUDIO: FEBRUARY 23, 2014: 2 STARS

I liked the book even more this time - 11 years since I last read it!

Why 2 stars, then? Because this is an abridged version and missing the secondary romance between McCord and Sam. McCord is the hotshot lead investigator assigned to the Logan murder case and Sam is the newbie cop who is put in his team.

I specifically picked this title for my oldies reread because I recall liking the secondary romance very much. If you've never read this book
Baneen
Beverlin
I was somewhat biased towards this book due to the endless negative remarks and reviews I read. I ignored it for a long time until I finally decided to leave aside the comments and have my own opinion of book as a priority .Judith Mcnaught once again encapsulated my heart with her unending humor and profound love.

My only advice to whoever reads this review is to be flexible, casting aside other's comments, and producing your own true opinion of this book. I did it, and it I was able to see beyo
Alison
So good! Got two stories in one...love Mack and Michael!
mad4rombks
Kathy Davie
Fourth in the Second Opportunity romantic-suspense series. The couple focus in this story is Michael Valente and Leigh Kendall.

My Take
What can I say, it's a McNaught. I love her work. She may be formulaic, but she does write a good story that kept me entranced and racing through the pages. A woman's life is turned upside down and threatened and from the background comes her white knight to save the day.

McNaught always has her underdog and in this case, the love of this good woman has sustained
Christine
I was excited to learn of a Judith McNaught book out there that I had missed reading when I ran through all of her stuff a few years ago. I consider her the master of romance, many of her stories have touched me deeply and stayed with me for years. (Many romance novels, even good ones, tend to be forgettable in the grand scheme of things.)

The trouble with this book is that it isn't a romance. Oh, there are some couples getting together, but it's basically a mystery novel. And I don't want to jud
Michelle Kelly
This wasn't a typical Judith McNaught romance book. In fact, calling it a romance book is a stretch. It was suspense mystery with a wee tad bit of a couple getting together. I am not a huge fan of suspense mystery especially when I was expecting the normal Judith McNaught style, however it was nice to read the author doing something a bit different.

Usually there is a grevious misunderstanding between the main couple in the story but this time the misunderstanding is between the police and the c
Margie
I absolutely love Judith McNaught's novels so I bought this book without even glancing to see what it was about. I was disappointed to discover that it was more mystery than romance. In fact, for the first sixty pages or so, I kept thinking I should have waited for the paperback version. Fortunately, I hung in there. Once I accepted that this was not going to be one of McNaught's typical love stories, I focused on THIS book and began to enjoy it.
The characters were likeable and well developed. I
Shxrxn
In order to be a good liar, you've got to have a good memory.
- Shrader
Some of the most unkind, judgmental people I've ever known go to church every Sunday and read the Bible. I don't know how some people are able to disassociate their own cruelty and shortcomings from their religious obligations and convictions, but many are able to do that.
- Sam
Everything wrong I've ever done has always seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
- Courtney
Anger is nothing but self-inflicted torture.
- Michael
Yuni
When I read this book somehow I can see it play in front of me. How much I hate hate Logan. How tight I want to give Leigh a hug. How much I want to kiss Falco on his cheeks. How hard I want to kick the police team for being such an ass. Maybe in between all the Second Opportunities series, I like Paradise the most because it is the first book I read in the series but each of it....I LOVE IT. Thank you, Judith. Please give us a new book. I heard she will release a new book this year. Good then b ...more
Elena
Ok, maybe this book actually deserves more than 3* but I just wasted half an hour out of my life trying to figure out how come this book had 500 pages, but my audio book is only 5 hours long and seems to be missing so much! Sooo, finally i realized the audiobook is abridged (first time i'm listening to anything abridged - why do people do this?! you miss half the book! or if you don't - that means that the book is too long and full of useless parts to begin with)...Anyways, couldn't find the UNa ...more
Kalia  Lewis
Judith McNaught is an excellent writer.

This book could easily be a movie. It also plays out as a movie in your mind as you read it.

There are a few twists and turns that keep you guessing. The only downside is that it's not presently available as an ebook.
Latoya
I read this book a long time ago and I still remember the story. (Thanks to Goodreads, I now remember the title and author)
There are moments in the novel that have stayed with me. That, in my opinion, is the true testament of a book.
Leigh is the hurt heroine and Michael sweeps in and takes care of her. I loved the scene where he is sits in the living room, while she is recuperating in the bedroom, unaware of his presence. But he stays just to ensure her safety.
Even the secondary characters were
Kim
Enjoyable "Murder Mystery" and romance novel. I enjoyed a relaxing read, my only thought was I wouldn't have minded a little more hot romance but I used my imagination.....
Amy
This reads like a cautionary tale of what happens when you choose the wrong man. In Leigh's case, the wonderful husband she thought she was married to for thirteen years turned out to be a (view spoiler) ...more
Kara Jorges
Like other Judith McNaught novels I’ve read, this one takes awhile to get going, but once it does it cruises along nicely. It begins with a near tragedy on a snowy road as Broadway actress Leigh Manning crashes her car. Leigh had been on her way to meet her husband of 13 years, Logan Manning. Logan, eager to show off a new mountain property he had bought, urged Leigh to meet him there. While following Logan’s unorthodox directions, Leigh gets caught in a blizzard and goes off the road. When Leig ...more
Debbie
This was a light read but a bit of a page turner. It's basically a mystery with a bit of romance on the side.

Leigh Kendall and Logan Manning have been happily married for many years. They have just purchased an old cabin in the country which they plan to turn into a dream home. Logan sets off in the morning for their visit there with Leigh to join him when she finishes work in the evening.

Leigh is delayed at work and by the time she leaves the weather has turned bad. She gets lost in a snowstorm
Maria
This is a really interesting idea, and I liked it. The use of flashback was something I don't remember seeing in McNaught's books before. I even liked the double romance that's going on in this book— though I almost liked Mack and Sam's story more than Michael and Leigh's.

(All the names in this book are fantastic, by the way).

Basically, Leigh Manning's husband, Logan, heads off to a cabin in the mountains to get things ready for a relaxing weekend with his wife. When Leigh follows him up to the
♕Michelle♕
Someone to Watch Over Me
Michael Valente and Leigh Kendall
5/5 Stars

Someone to Watch Over Me is the fourth book of Second Opportunities series by Judith McNaught.

Favorite Quotes
"I don't think I'm going to be able to get over this." -Leigh
"You aren't suffering from terminal cancer or any other incurable disease, so you can get over it. You have the power to decide how long, and how badly, you're willing to go on suffering for your husband's betrayals and your misplaced love." -Michael
"I've gotte
Lizzieyork
Alguien que cuide de mí- Judith McNaught

"Won't you tell him please to put on some speed
Follow my lead, oh, how I need
Someone to watch over me"

Bueno, eso era lo único que se me venía a la cabeza cuando ví la tapa del libro (especialmente la versión de Rowena, en Mr. Holland`s Opus). Sinceramente,no daba ni dos pesos por este libro. Pero me lo llevé a casa porque confié en qué lo que fuera que leyera de Judith,sería de medio pelo para arriba.
Qué gran felicidad al saber que estaba totalmente equivo
Ummu Auni
This had been in my nook for quite sometimes or before I even had nook, but I took my time and just finished reading this. I'm a fan of McNaught, no doubt about that. Her writings made me wanted to embrace life as it is, and being different doesn't make you strange. Someone To Watch Over Me is a different genre altogether, if you expected romantic scenes, it's not that. This is much more on resolving a mystery.

Leigh was a happily married wife till then she found that Logan, her husband was miss
Sarah M
This was an okay read....it dragged a bit in few places causing me to skim through those parts.

But, I loved the two romances depicted in the book. Leigh and Michael's story was a tearworthy and very sigh-worthy romance. And then Sam and Mccord's story was funny and sizzling with sexual tension and chemsitry.

Both Mccord and Micahel were great heroes. And after what Leigh's ex-husband did to her -- he totally deserved what he got, that idiot man-- Michael was exactly what she needed and I was jus
Jennie
This book had one thing going for it over McNaught's other novels (especially the historical ones): her male lead, unlike Clayton, Jason, Jordan, Royce, et.al., isn't a domineering, abusive cad who "tames" his heroine into worshipping him. Kudos for a hero who treats the woman well for a change.

***SPOILERS***

That said, this book pushed me beyond "willing suspension of disbelief" into "oh, please, make it stop". The book opens with a lengthy description of Leigh's devotion to her husband, how muc
Kellie
Total trash. The story line was good and so was the suspense. The love story was unnecessary. Leigh Kendall reveled in her stellar Broadway acting career and in her marriage to Logan Manning, scion of an old New York family. When her husband finds the perfect mountain property for their dream house, he decides to surprise Leigh with her first view of the site. Driving upstate on a winter's night, Leigh is run off the road in the midst of a blinding blizzard. When she awakes in the local hospital ...more
Ns
Immediately riveting is the suspense that starts from the beginning and lasts throughout in Someone to Watch Over me. Although, the suspense was gripping, it paved the way for a satisfying romance.

What I really liked about this story was that the plot wasn't driven by misunderstandings, something very familiar in McNaught's works. Instead the plot was driven by a mystery surrounding Leigh Kendall's accident, the disappearance of her husband, and the emergence of a stranger, Michael Valente. Only
  • Shades of Twilight
  • Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught | Summary & Study Guide
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • French Silk
  • Bonds of Hope (Wicked Play, #4)
  • Shadows at Sunset
  • Beyond Eden
  • Revenge at Bella Terra (Bella Terra Deception, #2)
  • Sweet Liar
You can find Judith McNaught in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjudith...

Judith McNaught is a bestselling author of over a dozen historical and contemporary romance novels, with 30 million copies of her works in print. She was also the first female executive producer at a CBS radio station. McNaught is credited with inventing the modern Regency Historical romance subgenre.
More about Judith McNaught...
A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1) Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland Saga, #2) Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3) Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)

“‎People who talk less frequently notice more.” 99 likes
“Some of the most unkind,judgmental people I've ever known go to church every Sunday and read the Bible.
I don't know how some people are able to
disassociate their own cruelty and shortcomings from their religious obligations and convictions, but many are able to do that.”
21 likes