Start by marking “The Titan - 1914 -” as Want to Read:
The Titan - 1914 -

Read Book* *Different edition

The Titan - 1914 - (Trilogy of Desire #2)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,410 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"When Frank Algernon Cowperwood emerged from the Eastern District Penitentiary, in Philadelphia he realized that the old life he had lived in that city since boyhood was ended. His youth was gone, and with it had been lost the great business prospects of his earlier manhood. He must begin again..."
Paperback
Published by Book Jungle (first published 1914)

To ask other readers questions about The Titan - 1914 -, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Titan - 1914 -

TarasProkopyuk
May 10, 2015 TarasProkopyuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, business
В продолжение "Трилогии желания" Драйзера вторая её часть, а именно роман "Титан" не только подтвердил мастерство автора, но и получился на порядок интереснее и захватывающем в отличии от первого, хотя первая часть "Финансист" в своё время понравилась даже больше чем очень. После второй части сложно представить насколько гениальным должна стать третья часть трилогии - "Стоик", чтоб превзойти "Титана", или хотя бы удержать марку автора.

Книга прекрасна сюжетом (из реальной жизни всё того же Чарльз
Paul
Apr 06, 2013 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It kept my interest long enough to finish reading it. Since the main character is a bourgeois capitalist pig-dog, and he's opposed only by other such characters, it's hard to find any real empathy for anyone in the entire book (except for maybe one of the women he screws over).
Mark
Feb 17, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Less a follow-up to than an extension of Dreiser's _The Financier_. Whereas in that novel Frank Cowperwood's romantic relationships are ancillary to his financial speculation and relationship-building, in _The Titan_ Cowperwood's philanderings and the development of his inner aesthete take precedence. These relationships with the women of Chicago, and there a number of relationships hinted at and overtly represented within the novel, are very much of a piece with the accumulative desire that cha ...more
David
May 24, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
When a ebook is available for free download, I always feel obligated to link to direct Goodreaders to where. In this case, Amazon.com for Kindle, Gutenberg Project, archive.org, and manybooks.net. There are also another handful of sites where you can read this book online.

Here on Goodreads, someone cast a vote for Frank Cowperwood – the hero of this novel and the other two in the series – as a hero of capitalism. Maybe this voter was being sarcastic, or perhaps ironic. Meanwhile, the Wall Str
Judi
My second Theodore Dreiser read. Thought An American Tragedy was stronger. The decades depicted captivate me. Could it be that we are revisiting the late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries again. More likely it is just in my head. In this read I noticed that Dreiser's writing style seems heavy. I also noticed that he frequently uses/overuses the word "meditate" in this book. In the closing bit he refers to Nirvana. Could he have dabbled in yoga? A kindred spirit perhaps? I have read that his p ...more
Brett
Aug 29, 2013 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would've read the first of this trilogy first - "The Philadelphia Years" - but even as a stand-alone story, this was a well written portrait of naked power and money in Chicago's go-go years of the late 1800's. Greed, women, money, power - the usual intoxicants of Capitalist society. I'm anxious to see what Vol. 3 "The Stoic" focuses on. Frank C. was rather aged at the end of Titan book as he and barely out of her teens Bernice stroll off into the sunrise of Europe.
Gulzira
Apr 08, 2015 Gulzira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Каупервуд - действительно Титан, настоящий финансист, идеи бьют ключом, которые сразу же реализуются и не спотыкаются при возникновении проблем. Очень впечатляет его xарактер - эта стойкость дуxа, гибкий и изворотливый ум, масштабность и размаx. Обязательно дочитаю трилогию, на очереди Стоик.
Farah
Jan 31, 2013 Farah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Only took me a month+ to get through. :-/ I have to say I liked The Financier better, as The Titan moved a bit more slowly. However, I enjoy Dreiser's writing enough, and I find Frank Cowperwood interesting enough that I'm tempted to read the last book in the trilogy, The Stoic.
Diane
Sep 22, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a short review, concentrating on the beautiful Aileen. I have never
been more excited to read a book, once I finished "The Financier" - couldn't
wait to read more about the arrogant Frank and the loyal Aileen and it didn't
disappoint. Yes it is the story of Frank Cowperwood but Aileen is such a major
part of his life, giving him her love and loyalty.
The story starts immediately after "The Financier" with Frank, after his prison
shame, causing yet another panic on the stock exchange by selling sh
Cody
May 04, 2013 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this book is rather long, and there are plenty of descriptions that don't hold a lot of exciting details, but the edition I have (not featured here, but it's The Laurel Dreiser) has a wonderful introduction by Alfred Kazin that I think perfectly prepares you to take this book on. The story is an encounter with Frank Algernon Cowperwood (does the name annoy you? Because it annoyed me. Cowperwood. Not Copperwood, or Cooperwood, but Cow-per-wood. Ick.)Anyway, Frank arrives fresh out of jai ...more
Sergey Artamonov
Jan 12, 2014 Sergey Artamonov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
Роман "Титан" - это вторая часть драйзеровской "Трилогии желания". Повествование строится вокруг центральной фигуры - Фрэнка Алджернона Каупервуда, причём он, на мой взгляд, не герой романа, а именно Центральная Фигура, потому что это очень сложный и неоднозначный образ.
Говоря о достоинствах "Титана", необходимо упомянуть и первую часть - "Финансиста". В "Титане" образ Каупервуда раскрывается куда более полно, чем в "Финансисте". Тут мы видим уже не становление молодого предпринимателя, а деятел
Cat
I read Sister Carrie first. That was a GREAT book. Read "Titan" second. Not so impressed. I understand that this is the sequel to his book "The Financier". The fact that I hadn't read the Financier didn't bother me at all. Frankly, I have no intention of reading the Financier.
"Titan" is the second part of the life story of Frank Cowperwood. Cowperhood is a kind of prime-time soap opera type figure: a tycoon who can't keep it in his pants. The book is equal parts of economic machinations (which t
Ernest
Apr 08, 2015 Ernest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!It is different than the Financier because it focuses a lot more on his love life and artistic endeavors. Frank is an amazingly interesting and complex character that will make you love him and hate him all at the same time. This book truly captures the taste of early American capitalism at its finest. I am going to read the Stoic.
Ann
May 02, 2009 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book about Frank Algernon Cowperwood. Not as compelling as the first in terms of readability. He gets a little bogged down in specific love affairs that don't add a lot to the story. However, for creating a view of corruption in a town (this time, Chicago), Dreiser is one of the best. Again, he contrasts Cowperwood's very frank desire, actions and intention to control the city's wealth with the desires of other financial leaders who hide their intentions behind a mask of "civic pride." It ...more
David
Oct 31, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picks up where The Financier left off, as the ruthless, amoral Cowperwood (based on a real ruthless, amoral capitalist) builds his fortune in Chicago after beating a hasty retreat from Philadelphia. Again, the twists and turns of his machinations in attempting to control the streetcar business is fascinating, but even better is the in-depth depiction of a tragically sad marriage: the self-involved former homewrecker Aileen Cowperwood is not easy to root for, but after a while I found myself tota ...more
Hans Halvorson
Jul 18, 2016 Hans Halvorson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting exploration of themes about desire, power, and morality in the modern world. Kind of like Ayn Rand with a dash of subtlety, and self-questioning.
Nick Doinikov
Aug 14, 2013 Nick Doinikov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Во второй книге трилогии Теодор Драйзер начинает движение от Фрэнка Каупервуда-финансиста и махинатора к Фрэнку Каупервуду-интригану, изменнику и любителю женских прелестей.
Для тех, кто был восхищен тем, насколько подробно и ловко были описаны все действия Каупервуда на его финансовом поприще, настала не самая интересная пора - ведь теперь большая часть книги посвящена его интрижкам с женщинами, взаимоотношениям с Эйлин и всем проблемам, возникающим от его страсти к молодым особам.
Но, несмотря н
Artem
Oct 17, 2014 Artem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Мельчает драйзер. Вторая часть ничего нового не привнесла. Меньше деталей больше воды. Еще кое-как держится в хвосте у первой.
Greg
Feb 09, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I told Beth about. Volume 2 of Dreiser's great trilogy, vol. 1 (The Financier) is also good, vol. 3 is disappointing. Story of Frank Cowperwood's conquest of Chicago gas utilities and street railways, as well as his and his mistress's attempt to conquer Chicago society. Cowperwood is loosely based on Yerkes (I think). This volume picks up with Frank getting out of the Eastern Penitentiary in Philadelphia for the financial shenanigans depicted in The Financier. He goes west, wher ...more
Madam Anastasija
I like real stories. This one is real. Bold person. Obviously nowadays are the same rules (power + money + charizma).
Roosevelt Wright
Aug 05, 2011 Roosevelt Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drieser presents a turn of the century financier who desires to use his power and influence to force his will on a city by bribery and coertion. Despite his power and wealth he is unable to love and enters a series of failed relaionships that fall victim to his overwheming compulsion to control and manipulate the women of his life.

Drieser presents characters that are precisely detailed; sometimes with too much detail. The conclusion of "The Titan" was a bit rushed considering the pain he took t
Borys
Feb 20, 2015 Borys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, librivox
I had to force myself to finish this book. I liked the first part so much better, don't know why; perhaps everything seemed novel in Financier, the same stuff in Titan over and over again: power struggle, women, women, and women, plots, plots, plots, then women again. Style and mood are the same in my opinion, Cowperwood character development is very natural and perfectly described though.

So, if you were thrilled by the first book you should read Titan and Stoic, but I'm not sure I'll make it t
James
Oct 21, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
The political and business narratives based on 19th Century power broker Charles Yerkes in The Financier and The Titan are fun historical tales during the industrial rise of Philadelphia and Chicago. And while he is a terrible person by almost any moral standard, Frank Cowperwood is a compelling anti-hero. However, the women characters are so weak and shallow, some of the personal story arcs are difficult to read, which is disappointing after Dreiser's Sister Carrie.
jersey9000
Dec 31, 2011 jersey9000 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of this guy's work, and really dug this one. In it, he traces the rise and rise and rise of a budding robber baron against the expanding Chicago skyline. They kind of grow together. I don't wanna spoil how it ends, but I was surprised by what didn't happen- and the moral here seems to be that life usually sucks, so live as much as you can when you can. Not too Disney, but a nice thought nonetheless.
Kate S
Feb 10, 2016 Kate S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brighid, 2016
I found the Chicago years less entertaining than the Philadelphia ones.
Ivan
Mar 27, 2014 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un livre qui devrait être lu par chaque personne éloigné du secteur financier.
Andrey Yudchenko
just too long, tiring to read
Jeff Laughlin
Jul 21, 2007 Jeff Laughlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictionalized Charles Yerkes (proprietor of the Chicago Railway) experiences middle life and muses upon power, money and fame with middling results. Drieser is the master, and this is the 2nd piece of the trilogy he died writing. The Stoic (part 3) was one chapter from completion when he died.
Alexander
May 09, 2011 Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Inspirational is what I would call this novel. Although I liked the first novel more, looking forward to the third and final of this trilogy. Also fascinating to find out that the story is based on a historical Chicagoan rail-street tycoon.
Olti
Apr 13, 2015 Olti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great read. And a universal story. A great book for those who want to understand human nature and society, capitalism and government. Dreiser is a surgeon of the human mind.
  • The Country Doctor
  • Французская волчица. Лилия и лев (The Accursed Kings, #5-6)
  • Peter the First
  • Ilf and Petrov's American Road Trip: The 1935 Travelogue of Two Soviet Writers
  • Goya
  • Плаха
  • Лезвие бритвы: Роман приключений
  • Atlas Shrugged Part C: New Edition
  • Madame de Treymes
Theodore Herman Albert Dreiser was an American novelist and journalist. He pioneered the naturalist school and is known for portraying characters whose value lies not in their moral code, but in their persistence against all obstacles, and literary situations that more closely resemble studies of nature than tales of choice and agency.

More about Theodore Dreiser...

Trilogy of Desire (3 books)
  • The Financier (Trilogy of desire, #1)
  • The Stoic (Trilogy of desire, #3)

“It is thus that life at its topmost toss irks and pains. Beyond is ever the unattainable, the lure of the infinite with its infinite ache.
- Oh, life! oh, youth! of, hope! oh, years! Oh pain-winged fancy, beating forth with fears.”
1 likes