Start by marking “Almost Heaven” as Want to Read:
Almost Heaven

Almost Heaven (Sequels #3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  16,757 ratings  ·  478 reviews
Elizabeth Cameron's uncle--guardian of her estate--forces the scandal-ridden young woman to choose from three unlikely suitors. But the one she fancies sees her as a flirt; and she fears he is a fortune hunter. From London's salons to Scotland's highlands, Almost Heaven weaves a heart-capturing spell of romance.
Paperback
Published February 13th 1992 by Corgi (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Heaven

Dina
Apr 28, 2011 Dina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: K.
I absolutely LOVE this book! This is what I posted at the RF (Amazon) when I read it for the 1st time, and I'm simply copying my post here on GR because I'm lazy and don't feel like writing a full review...

Well, I've just finished reading Almost Heaven and I'm glad to say that I'm in love with Ian, Elizabeth, and everyone and everything else in the book. :) I especially loved Ian for having no fear admitting to himself he was in love with Elizabeth without knowing if she felt the same, and I ado
Mo
Five Heavenly Stars. If I could give it more stars, I would.

Elizabeth Cameron, with her angelic beauty, golden hair and shining green eyes, had taken London by storm.
She was not a rage She was the rage

I could not put this book down. I am not sure if any review can do it justice. I think it might have become one of my favourite books ever.

”Look, Elizabeth, isn’t he divine in a sort of mysterious, wicked way?”

Divine, divine you say. Ian, Ian, Ian, I loved you. Such a torturned hero. I felt for
Karen
5 SOLID STARS ★★★★★
 photo m1ny5b8qjikq.jpg

“Because,” he said quietly as she stood up,
“until you walked into it, this was an ordinary garden.”
Puzzled, Elizabeth tipped her head. “What is it now?”
“Heaven.”

And… once again, I am SPEECHLESS!!! Words just can not express the love I have for Judith McNaught and her incredible books. And with such appropriate titles. Every time I finish one, I want to flip back to the beginning and read it all over again. I am convinced that NO ONE can write a romantic character as well.
Barbara M.
Almost Heaven? No this book...WAS Heaven!
Rane
There’s been many books I can say I couldn’t put down, but I can truly say there’s also been just a handful of books where it was sometimes physical impossible to stop reading, and putting the book away. Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught was one of those books. Through the hardships,tears and yes, misunderstandings I couldn’t put this book down, I wanted, no needed to keep reading to find out what happen next to these two amazing leads.

Elizabeth Cameron was one of those heroine’s you love on the
Jana
It's very typical Judith McNaught, still very different from the rest of her books. Ian for instance isn't English, but 'brutal Scot' and just because he's Scot seemed like McNaught saved all of her best words and emotions for this man. But like in most of her books, her dialogues are so beautifully written that are you pulled into her world, with this book even more because English ton doesn't approve showing public emotions, Ian approves them very much. Dialogues between him and Elisabeth who ...more
Victoria
Going back to other books I've read from this author I feel like I'm still holding grudges against Clayton, Jason, and Jordan. Their actions against their partners were horrible. I found them way too ruthless but their stories were compelling enough to enthrall me to the very end. Almost Heaven is a long book, 475 pages long, and I stopped reading it at page 370. The writing, as always with McNaught, was brilliant, and even though I found Elizabeth's character (unlike other McNaught's more inter ...more
Sarita
Feb 12, 2009 Sarita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Keia, Garrace, Julie, Haliegh
Recommended to Sarita by: Barbara M.
GREAT BOOK!
I got so caught up in this book! I couldn't put it down! My husband even made the comment, "You're gonna be reading that one all day, I can tell." lol
It was a wonderful story. My heart was hurting, beating, crying, and shouting for joy! hahaha

Thanks Judith McNaught for creating another 5 star story.
jade
I'm not keen on romance novels. They are more of a filler to me when I'm too preoccupied to commit to reading. Maybe it's the repetitive plots or the all too familiar faces and personalities, they all seem to blend together and numb me. Well, not this book. It's not the first Judith McNaught book I read, but it's the first that had me glued to the pages. After reading it all night and finishing it, I started to re-read it the next day, and that had not been my expectation at all.

What really hook
Tash
Judith McNaught is an excellent writer and one of my favourites. No one writes romance like she does but. I decided to stop being biased and vent a little. After reading four Judith McNaught books I'm quite tired of the similar plots and characters she has in every book. It's the same characters with the same misunderstandings and same stupidity and the same sex scenes. The simiar sex scenes are a little creepy sometimes. For example, everytime the hero's fingers go near the 'triangle' every her ...more
Mai

Almost Heaven.

Just as for me this story turn out to be something beyond my expectation. I felt in love with both Ian and Elizabeth the love chemistry between them, really light up this story. I must said this the misunderstanding issued between them in a few first chapter is really frustrating and I almost give up. I’m we’re about to put this book down and I’ll talk to Ririn, this story is not as simple as A Kingdom of Dreams (my JM most favorite book so far).
She told me to keep on reading and I
Dinjolina
I loved the heroine so much I actually cried when Ian told her why he wanted a solicitor.I got sniffy about a book.I really did.Weird!

I can not write a rew without it having spoils because i just want to rant on and on about all the things that happened.
I...I'm so in love with this book it hurts me that i finished it.
God...
Just...read it,ok?
One word about the plot and it would be one word too many.So...read it.

:snif:
Mei
I'm not very fond of big misunderstandings, or of keeping information to him/herself, but here it was really, really very well done!

This book make me like things that usually I hate! :D

Everything that has been happening to Ian and Elizabeth was so well described and explained that I was in awe!

I loved Ian with his inflexibility, with his brilliant mind, with his ability to put himself into his adversary's mind. I loved him for his passionate, sweet, total love for Elizabeth. For only love like
Quinn
I shouldn't have loved this book as much as I did. The regency era is my least favourite historical romance period, and I'm not a fan of the big misunderstanding being relied upon as a primary plot device (and this had a couple of them). I've read only one other 'beloved' McNaught (A Kingdom of Dreams), which I liked well enough, but didn't love.

But. Almost Heaven has found its way into my heart. It's one of those books that gives you (well, me) that indefinable feeling when reading it.

Elizabeth
Leona
This is my all time favorite Judith McNaught novel! It is about two characters that are initially very attracted to one another, but make some serious mistakes. Elizabeth is set up by her friends and ends up being outcast from society. Ian believes she purposely tries to trap him into marriage so he leaves her in ruin. Years later, Elizabeth is forced to pick a suitor by her uncle. She believes that Ian has offered for her, so she ends up at his residence in Scotland. It is during that trip that ...more
abi rafon
the first mcnaught that i read. the dialogues were simply the best, heart warming awesome and ah, almost heaven. there are so many conflicts but i really, really enjoyed it. i think ian thornton and elizabeth are just meant for each other. it took me a day or two to totally lessen the feelings i had when i reached it's ending.

the book was beautiful.

unforgettable scenes and unforgettable dialogs especially this one:

"If you would take one step forward,
darling, you could cry in my arms. And whil
Sabrina Jeffries
The scene in the courtroom is a classic. McNaught is one of my favorite historical authors because she combines heart-wrenching emotion and subtle humor in all her books. This also contains one of my long-time favorite themes: the misunderstood heroine before whom the hero has to grovel when he realizes how badly he misjudged her.
Ummu Auni
I'm not ashamed to admit after re-reading Something Wonderful, I ran to her other book sitting on my bookshelf and started to read this with vengeance. Oh my, I don't know how I can I ever forget that Mc Naught is one of the best romance authors around. Oh by the way, being older when I last read this book, I realise that I still laughed at quirks written in the book, and had myself holding a tissue to dab the tears running down my cheek. And I thought I am jaded and seasoned though.

The plot of
Mitzi
This book was OK. I think if I were in high school and read this, it would probably be my favorite book...but I'm over the 1/2 century mark now and it was just to juvenile for me.

Elizabeth Cameron (under her uncle's control) must choose between suitors for a husband. Elizabeth had her 1st season debut a few years before and got caught up in a scandal with Ian Thornton (thought of as a tradesman without a title), so she has lived at her estate alone and doesn't wish to marry. Elizabeth ends up i
Kay
Re-read: July 17-19, 2012
I didn't think it would be possible for a book I've read before to keep me awake until 4am. But it can happen just as how ALMOST HEAVEN allowed me only 2 hours of sleep before I had to wake up for work the next day. This just shows that Ms. Judith McNaught should come out of hiding and grace us with her books again!!

*********************************************************
First read: June 27-28, 2010
You just can't go wrong with novels by Judith McNaught. Almost Heaven w
Sammy

I could have loved it ... but I didn't ... The main leads were quite good. I admired heroine 's character (if I forget the biggest dumb mistake she did) but apart from that she was really good. ANd i liked our hero , he was really really loyal ... & arrogant ... lolz... but he loved her fiercely & that earns major points in my eyes
Taryn at My Secret Romance

After devouring other Judith McNaught books, I had high expectations for this one. It saddens me to say this one did not work for me at all. Not one bit. It actually pains me to write a review, so this is going to be short and sweet. It was long and drawn out with an extremely slow beginning. I had to force myself to finish this one.

Judith McNaught is still my absolute favorite Historical-Romance author and I will continue to read her books. She is a literary maven with a talent so profound it
Melody
Almost Heaven is simply magnificent and one of the best books by Judith McNaught! The story was superb and the characters were great. I love Elizabeth and Ian and it was a real pleasure to catch up with Alexandra, Jordan and the Dowager Duchess (see Something Wonderful). The end was so beautiful (I admit it, some passages made me cry) and everything was enhanced with small touches of humour.

It was my last historical romance by Judith McNaught and I'm glad I saved the best for last. Almost Heave
Carolyn F.
This was such a good book. Elizabeth's brother Robert brings her to London so she can marry rich and save him from debtor's prison. Within a month, she meets Ian who has a mysterious and maybe shady background. They're attracted to each other and she does some things she shouldn't. Then "friends" set her up, she's ruined, her brother leaves with the debt hanging over her and Ian thinking she's been playing with his feelings. In some of these sort of books the heroine does things that are too stu ...more
LiteraryLover
I really want to like Judith McNaught's novels more. The character's are written well enough, there's tons of drama, and they all are pretty long (which I like). But she seems to have the same-plot-different-characters-syndrome with her writing. Not to mention the drama always seems to come from some misread circumstance or some other easily avoided issue that could be solved with a simple explanation. But they build out of hand and by the end of the novels it's so ridiculous I want to put the b ...more
Melanie
Phew... This one, while less emotionally draining than Whitney, My Love, was still a bit of an emotional rollercoaster... Through misunderstandings and mistrust, Ian and Elizabeth finally get their HEA... What I did love about it was how quickly the Ian admitted that he's in love, although he had quite a ways to go before getting his heart's desire:-) It was a great read, and I heartily recommend JM to any romance lovers!
Beth
Call me not-so-bright, but I was still eager to read this, even after the "Whitney, My Love" debacle. This book was a treasured favorite throughout high school, so I now find myself seriously doubting my own judgment. Mistreatment by the hero? Check. Everyone's a duke? Check. Dowager duchess and duke force society to accept poor, wronged girl? Check. And vomit. This was just not good.
Nonieღserenity2bliss
When I'm in the mood for a fantastic, melt-the-heart historical romance, I look no further than the great Judith McNaught. This one certainly did not disappoint!
  • Dreaming of You (Gamblers, #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Honor's Splendour
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • The Proposition
  • Flowers from the Storm
  • Always to Remember
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • The Rake
  • Private Arrangements
You can find Judith McNaught in facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorjudith...

Judith McNaught is a #1 New York Times Best-Selling Author, with more than forty million copies of her novels in print, in over eighty countries and more than thirty languages. She was also the first female executive producer at a CBS radio station. McNaught is credited with inventing the modern Regency Historical ro
More about Judith McNaught...

Sequels (3 books)
  • Once and Always (Sequels, #1)
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1) Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland Saga, #2) Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2) Perfect (Second Opportunities #2)

“If you would take one step forward, darling, you could cry in my arms. And while you do, I'll tell you how sorry I am for everything I've done -" Unable to wait, Ian caught her, pulling her tightly against him. "And when I'm finished," he whispered hoarsely as she wrapped her arms around him and wept brokenly, "you can help me find a way to forgive myself."
Tortured by her tears, he clasped her tighter and rubbed his jaw against her temple, his voice a ravaged whisper: "I'm sorry," he told her. He cupped her face between his palms, tipping it up and gazing into her eyes, his thumbs moving over her wet cheeks. "I'm sorry." Slowly, he bent his head, covering her mouth with his. "I'm so damned sorry.”
316 likes
“Listen carefully to me, darling, because I'm giving you fair warning that I won't let you do this to us. You gave me your love, and I will not let you take it away. The harder you try, the harder I'll fight you. I'll haunt your dreams at night, exactly the way you have haunted mine every night I was away from you. You'll lie awake in bed at night, wanting me, and you'll know I'm lying awake wanting you. And when you can't stand it anymore you'll come back to me and I'll be there waiting for you. I'll cry in your arms, and I'll tell you I'm sorry for everything I have done and you'll help me find a way to forgive myself.” 166 likes