Start by marking “Sister North: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Sister North: A Novel

Sister North: A Novel

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Sam was a Chicago lawyer content to drift though life on his good looks and his wife's money, until a violent crime shatters his world. Newly addicted to watching Sister North, a nun with a popular television show, Sam embarks on a trip to Lake Eagleton, Wisconsin, to see the nun personally, seeking forgiveness and spiritual guidance. In Lake Eagleton, he finds out much mo ...more
Published October 7th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sister North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister North

Bobbie N
Feb 22, 2016 Bobbie N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SUMMARY: Sam was content to drift aimlessly through life on his good looks and his wife’s money, until one day when tragedy strikes and shatters his world. When drinking fails to ease his pain – indeed, makes it worse – Sam sets out to find Sister North, a popular television personality, seeking meaning,forgiveness,and hope. COMMENTS: The characters in this book are real characters, funny and sad at the same time. Getting to know Sam in many ways is getting to know oneself.
John Luiz
Apr 24, 2011 John Luiz rated it it was amazing
I first became a fan of Jim Korkoris after reading his terrific novel, The Pursuit of Other Interests. This book showcases all the same talents -- a highly readable writing style, well-developed characters, an engaging plot with enough dramatic twists to make you want to keep reading, and a light comic touch mixed with enough drama to make the goings-on in his books seem like slices of real life.

While "Pursuit ... " offered a great snapshot of all the challenges faced by someone who's lost thei
Sandakat
Nov 27, 2011 Sandakat rated it it was ok
This is the story of a man who has lost his way in his life after his wife divorces him and he witnesses the shooting death of his secretary. He decides to drive out to see and talk to Sister North, a talk show host/nun who he feels can give him the answers to his life's questions. Unfortunately, the nun has left town and no one is quite sure when she'll return. Most of the book is spent after he gets to town, following him as he fills his time waiting for her to return.

I thought I'd enjoy this
Maurya
Oct 31, 2015 Maurya rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Easy read, but it didn't suck me in. I think this one can impact you more depending on where you are in life when you read it. (I did like the Wisconsin part, and I also liked the early humour. Would have liked to see more of his humour, cause it is catch you off guard humour that makes you chuckle.)

I might want to read his first book, as I hear it is better.
Rieta
Mar 17, 2016 Rieta rated it really liked it
I think I love Jim Kokoris. What a fun book. Weird, complicated characters with unique settings and situations. I told my husband this morning if Mr. K wrote my oatmeal directions I think I would love to read it. Wonderfully fractured people. Good story.
Mom2nine
May 13, 2016 Mom2nine rated it liked it
The book had a strong start, but for me the story began to drag...a bit like "Waiting for Godot". Perhaps it was meant to pause. Interesting pretense, though; I enjoy Kokoris' quirky stories.
Victoria Miller
Dec 27, 2015 Victoria Miller rated it really liked it
After the first twenty pages or so, I was tempted to stop; however, I persevered and came to enjoy this book. By the time I finished, I was glad I read it.
Pamela Pickering
Jul 04, 2009 Pamela Pickering rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I just love Kokoris's writing style. It's frank, not overdone or flowery, and it projects a dry sense of humor. This is the second Kokoris book I've read and so far both have been packed with quirky and unique characters. Although, I didn't find this one quite as good as The Rich Part of Life I still enjoyed the story of Sam--a self absorbed underachiever who is inwardly conflicted and looking for a second chance in life.
Kyrie
May 29, 2016 Kyrie rated it liked it
Really should be 3 1/2 stars. It was oddly good - I felt I knew where it was going, long before it got there, but it was still interesting reading.

(view spoiler)
Wileyacez
Oct 04, 2014 Wileyacez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty darn good book. Bad things happen to a Chicago lawyer which plunge him into depression. He decides to take an unexpected road trip to Wisconsin to see a television nun. What happens on the road trip ends up helping him heal and find a new life. Sounds trite, but in this case, finding redemption comes with a healthy dose of humor and enough reality checks to make it palatable.
Becky
Aug 15, 2007 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
For those in a life crisis, you will find much in common. The story of an almost smarmy lawyer (I think) who, after tragedy occurs in his life, turns to the TV to find Sister North, a nun with her own TV show. He makes a pilgrimage to the place where she lives, in order she may help him with his problems. Delightful and entertaining. Set in Chicago.
Marian
Aug 15, 2007 Marian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who liked Rich Part of Life
I read Kokoris' Rich Part of Life and loved it, so I thought I'd try his second book. Definitely darker, I didn't find it quite as appealing in either characters or plot. It reminded me a lot of Anne Tyler's Saint Maybe, with a theme of redemption through being good.

Cindy
Feb 17, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I really like the author's writing style. He makes you feel that you are right there with the characters and sharing their experiences. This is a warm and funny book well worth the read. Kokoris is one of my favorite authors!
Colleen
Jun 29, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
An easy read, I read through it because it attained my interest thoughout...however, the ending left me wishing for something more. Also, my friend's cousin is the author.
Leigh
Dec 24, 2011 Leigh rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Jaded lawyer goes to small town to meet a TV nun, meets wacky small town characters, has inner epiphanie and becomes a new man with purpose in his life. Whatever.
Debra
Jun 12, 2011 Debra rated it it was ok
I liked The Rich Part of Life so much better than this book. I didn't have any connection to the characters in this book and I really didn't care for the plot.
Aubrey
Jan 21, 2011 Aubrey rated it did not like it
I wanted this to be as good as his other novel, The Rich Part of Life, which I loved. It wasn't. Stupid story, boring characters, lame ending.
Harry Annan
Loved this book & this writer. Poignant, funny & clever. Great story of redemption with a cast of truly unique characters.
Dinah
Mar 05, 2011 Dinah rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Jim Kokoris. This one is funny and touching and absurd-loved it!
Ruth Vanderhart
Aug 08, 2010 Ruth Vanderhart rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Warm, whimsical, and very human.
Mafiel
May 06, 2016 Mafiel rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER HAPPY NOV
Jodi Goldbeck
Nov 14, 2012 Jodi Goldbeck rated it really liked it
Grade: B
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Vicky Bush-joseph
Vicky Bush-joseph rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Laura Hirschfeld
Laura Hirschfeld marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Wendy Present
Wendy Present marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • No Time on My Hands
  • The Interpreter
  • The WWW Club: A Novel of Sex and Bonbons
  • A Lifetime Burning
  • Raising Hope
  • Sister India
  • The Million Dollar Strike (The Million Dollar Series, #4)
  • Children of the Lion
  • Car Trouble
  • His Other Wife
  • The Professor of Secrets: Mystery, Medicine, and Alchemy in Renaissance Italy
  • Defiance
Chicago-area novelist Jim Kokoris is the author of three books, "The Rich Part of Life," "Sister North," and "The Pursuit of Other Interests." His books have been published in 15 languages and have been optioned for film consideration. The winner of The Friends Of American Writers Award for Best First Novel ( 2001), his humor essays have appeared regularly in The Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine.
H
More about Jim Kokoris...