Start by marking “Sister North: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Sister North: A Novel

Sister North: A Novel

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sam was a Chicago lawyer content to drift though life on his good looks and his wife's money, until a violent crime shatters his world. Newly addicted to watching Sister North, a nun with a popular television show, Sam embarks on a trip to Lake Eagleton, Wisconsin, to see the nun personally, seeking forgiveness and spiritual guidance. In Lake Eagleton, he finds out much mo ...more
Published October 7th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sister North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister North

John Luiz
I first became a fan of Jim Korkoris after reading his terrific novel, The Pursuit of Other Interests. This book showcases all the same talents -- a highly readable writing style, well-developed characters, an engaging plot with enough dramatic twists to make you want to keep reading, and a light comic touch mixed with enough drama to make the goings-on in his books seem like slices of real life.

While "Pursuit ... " offered a great snapshot of all the challenges faced by someone who's lost thei
This is the story of a man who has lost his way in his life after his wife divorces him and he witnesses the shooting death of his secretary. He decides to drive out to see and talk to Sister North, a talk show host/nun who he feels can give him the answers to his life's questions. Unfortunately, the nun has left town and no one is quite sure when she'll return. Most of the book is spent after he gets to town, following him as he fills his time waiting for her to return.

I thought I'd enjoy this
I enjoyed this book. Easy read, but it didn't suck me in. I think this one can impact you more depending on where you are in life when you read it. (I did like the Wisconsin part, and I also liked the early humour. Would have liked to see more of his humour, cause it is catch you off guard humour that makes you chuckle.)

I might want to read his first book, as I hear it is better.
Pamela Pickering
3.75 stars. I just love Kokoris's writing style. It's frank, not overdone or flowery, and it projects a dry sense of humor. This is the second Kokoris book I've read and so far both have been packed with quirky and unique characters. Although, I didn't find this one quite as good as The Rich Part of Life I still enjoyed the story of Sam--a self absorbed underachiever who is inwardly conflicted and looking for a second chance in life.
This was a pretty darn good book. Bad things happen to a Chicago lawyer which plunge him into depression. He decides to take an unexpected road trip to Wisconsin to see a television nun. What happens on the road trip ends up helping him heal and find a new life. Sounds trite, but in this case, finding redemption comes with a healthy dose of humor and enough reality checks to make it palatable.
For those in a life crisis, you will find much in common. The story of an almost smarmy lawyer (I think) who, after tragedy occurs in his life, turns to the TV to find Sister North, a nun with her own TV show. He makes a pilgrimage to the place where she lives, in order she may help him with his problems. Delightful and entertaining. Set in Chicago.
Aug 15, 2007 Marian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who liked Rich Part of Life
I read Kokoris' Rich Part of Life and loved it, so I thought I'd try his second book. Definitely darker, I didn't find it quite as appealing in either characters or plot. It reminded me a lot of Anne Tyler's Saint Maybe, with a theme of redemption through being good.

Feb 17, 2011 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I really like the author's writing style. He makes you feel that you are right there with the characters and sharing their experiences. This is a warm and funny book well worth the read. Kokoris is one of my favorite authors!
An easy read, I read through it because it attained my interest thoughout...however, the ending left me wishing for something more. Also, my friend's cousin is the author.
Jaded lawyer goes to small town to meet a TV nun, meets wacky small town characters, has inner epiphanie and becomes a new man with purpose in his life. Whatever.
I liked The Rich Part of Life so much better than this book. I didn't have any connection to the characters in this book and I really didn't care for the plot.
I wanted this to be as good as his other novel, The Rich Part of Life, which I loved. It wasn't. Stupid story, boring characters, lame ending.
Harry Annan
Loved this book & this writer. Poignant, funny & clever. Great story of redemption with a cast of truly unique characters.
Another great book by Jim Kokoris. This one is funny and touching and absurd-loved it!
Ruth Vanderhart
I loved this book! Warm, whimsical, and very human.
D.L. Kelly
D.L. Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Veronica Shire
Veronica Shire marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Cande marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jen Phillips
Jen Phillips marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chicago-area novelist Jim Kokoris is the author of three books, "The Rich Part of Life," "Sister North," and "The Pursuit of Other Interests." His books have been published in 15 languages and have been optioned for film consideration. The winner of The Friends Of American Writers Award for Best First Novel ( 2001), his humor essays have appeared regularly in The Chicago Tribune Sunday Magazine.
More about Jim Kokoris...