Start by marking “Be Buried in the Rain” as Want to Read:
Be Buried in the Rain

Be Buried in the Rain

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,371 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The Past Holds Terrors... There are secrets buried at Maidenwood--dark secrets that span generations. Medical student Julie Newcomb, who once spent four miserable childhood years at this rundown Virginia plantation, would rather not resurrect ancient memories, or face her own fears.

That Can't Be Forgotten

Yet Julie cannot refuse her relatives' plea that she spend her summer
Published December 9th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Be Buried in the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Buried in the Rain

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHell House by Richard MathesonHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiThe Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
Haunted Houses
94th out of 206 books — 327 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Seasons and Weather in Titles
201st out of 535 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Kasia S.
Another entertaining read from Michaels that reminded me of the V.C Andrews tales I used to gobble up as a teen. You know, the big mansion occupied by an evil grandmother trying to bring misery to the young maiden shuddering under strict tortures. This time its young medical student named Julie Newcomb who caves in under family pressure to spend a summer with the mean old grandmother Martha, who is paralyzed after a heart attack in a huge mansion overlooking the Virginia plantation, she reluctan ...more
Kelly
After having read Here I Stay a couple of years ago(the first and only other book I've read by Michaels), I didn't expect much more than a similarly light little read with this one; but it was so much better. There was a lot more going on here... the story was more detailed and more interesting, as were the characters.

The book starts out on a very creepy note within the first 3-4 pages (I won't tell you what it is!). Then we switch to Julie, who is winding up her first year of med school when s
Genevieve
Written well, reads fast but not the kind of fast-pace thriller that I like. Seemed like she was trying too hard. Left a bunch of loose ends, forced ending. Disappointed me.
Kathy Jackson
When I started this book I did not expect to get so caught up in it that I needed to get it finished right away. I thought it would be a nice leisurely read over several days. I was wrong...again. Seems like I have to admit that a lot.

It is a sad tale of family violence all with the aim of keeping ones name in the right genteel circles and free of blemish. The plantation of Maidenwood sounded so beautiful - I would have restored it had I inherited such a lovely old Victorian. However it was fall
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I'm always a fan of Barbara Michaels. This one with the creepy old house and aging grandmother who she hates was just the gothic story that i needed. i also love how she adopted the limping dog and had the vet take pity on her cause she didn't know how to care for him. The romance was a bit rushed. They hated each other and then all of a sudden the pastw as forgotten and they were back together without any sort of talk seemed a bit unrealistic and predictable at the same time. But I dod love Bar ...more
Michael
For the genre, this was pretty good reading. A lightweight distraction from everyday life.

It seems I can't get through a single Barbara Michaels book without being irritated by something-- this time it was mostly some characters cast from the "stereotypically ignorant, backward, religious Southerner" mold (or maybe more the protagonist's tiresome stereotyping of so many fellow characters)-- but perhaps a little irritation isn't such a bad thing in a book. It keeps me on my toes. Besides, if I do
AnnMarie
i thought this book was going to be different then what it was. i was hoping it was on the supernatural side. it wasn't. but it was an ok mystery! the book starts off with some1 finds the skeleton of a person and a baby in the road on a southern plantation. plantation of which belongs to the once great carr family. the old mansion on the plantation is owned by an ill mean old lady. martha. strokes leave her bedridden and she needs to be takin care off. thats where her granddaughter julie cames i ...more
Chibineko
While this novel did lack a clear ending (it's more of a "lady or the tiger" sort of thing), this novel will probably end up as one of my favorites by Barbara Michaels. I will admit that some of the reviews here put me off of reading it, but I finally gave it a try & finished it within the span of a day.

Set in Virginia, the story follows a young med student named Julie as she is forced to go back and care for her ailing grandmother- a woman who made her early years a living hell on earth. A
Liz
Another contemporary gothic from the eighties, but a page turner nevertheless as are most of Barbara Michaels' books.

Julie Newcombe goes to take care of her grandmother Martha Carr who has suffered two strokes and is supposed to be at death's door. Out of family duty to her mother, Julie returns the family home, Maidenwood. It certainly isn't love for her grandmother, who Julie actively despises.

Recently a skeleton of a woman and a baby's skeleton where found in the woods near Maidenwood; the sh
Julie
Anyone who knows me, will tell you I LOVE these 60's and 70's Gothic Romance/Mystery novels. Barbara Michaels in incomparable. However, this one, which was copyrighted in 1985, wasn't one of her best. The last 100 pages or so were where the action was. This story was set in Virginia, which gave this novel the feeling of Southern Gothic. Set in the requisite old mansion, Julie is manipulated into spending the summer with her 85 year old grandmother, who is recovering from a massive stroke. The Gr ...more
Katie
I like to reread mysteries, if they're worth rereading, even after I've lost the knack of forgetting who dunnit. This is worth rereading if there isn't something better. It's not Michaels' best thing. The setting is unpleasant, and the protagonist is a self-pitying snob, but it is an interesting story with a nice dog in it, if you like dogs.

I get the idea from this one that Michaels is a bit of an urbanite. Her main character spent years romping through the woods of the eastern U.S., and what s
Sharon K. Garner
Every summer, I reread Be Buried in the Rain by Barbara Michaels. I can feel the heat of a Virginia summer as I read. It has a lovely mixture of history, suspense, romance, and a little paranormal thrown in for seasoning ... a decaying family plantation, a toxic, bedridden grandmother, a medical student enlisted against her will for a summer of tending, an old love affair fanned throughout, great secondary characters, including a hound called Elvis, all beginning with the discovery of the old sk ...more
University of Chicago Magazine
Barbara Mertz, PhB'47, AM'50, PhD'52
Author

From our pages (Spring/86): "In this novel, written under the pseudonym Barbara Michaels, Mertz combines mystery, suspense, and romance in a gothic-like setting in Virginia. Mertz, an Egyptologist, is the author of numerous books, both fictional and scholarly."
Sarah Sammis
Be Buried in the Rain is a fairly typical Barbara Michaels book with a bachelor-girl protagonist who has been estranged from her family but now forced to return home during a family crisis. In this case, Julie Newcomb must return to the crumbling family plantation to care for her ailing grandmother.

While there she must help her estranged boyfriend uncover the mystery of two skeletons found on the side of the road while Julie receives threats to her life from all fronts. With a small cast of char
Leonie Holmes
Another great novel by Barbara Michaels

"Be Buried In The Rain is a other book of Barbara Michaels that I could not put down. It is packed with mystery and intriguing things going on all the time. As with all of her books I give it a perfect "10"
Judy
The last of my Michael's mysteries which I have been rereading in the past few months in between other selections. Very good story about 2 young cousins who are the last of the line and their disabled, old grandmother who is an awful person requires them to look after her and her old plantation house. Meanwhile, the heroine's old boyfriend (archeologist) turns up working on an old, early settlement and cemetery on their land. The heroine comes to grips with her terrible childhood in the house an ...more
Sharon
Nice read, good story to take my mind off bad things.
Lin S.
Story itself was not bad but it just seemed to drag on and on.
Vickie
I read this book many years ago and thought it was one I liked so I tried it again. It is billed as Romantic Suspense. When I reached about page 300 (out of 440) I realized that so far there had been no romance and no suspense. But I was still enjoying the book so I didn't miss the romantic suspense. I'm not sure why I thought this was one of my favorite Barbara Michaels' books but it was a nice change of pace and some day I may try re-reading another one of hers.
Lucy
One of the things I love best about Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters is how literary she makes her novels, constantly quoting the Bard, Gilbert & Sullivan, anyone who tickles her fancy, and often without any acknowledgement (just the personal satisfaction if you catch it). This one focuses around Edna St. Vincent Millay's two poems "Justice Denied in Massachusetts" and "Dirge without Music," thus the "we shall die in darkness, and be buried in the rain."
Book
I was quite satisfied with the conclusion, even though it felt the book could have been trimmed a little more. Some narratives felt repetitive, even though they were relevant to the story , which only becomes apparent towards the end, and not at the time of actual reading. This I feel is not in the favor of the book, since it creates a tediousness about the story telling experience. But, like I said before, the conclusion wraps it well. creepy! creepy!
Christie
I loved every second of this book until the last two pages, when a supernatural element was suddenly, jarringly I thought, added in. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that it seemed as if it were an afterthought by the author, as the narrator mentioned nothing of the sort when the event was actually taking place. I thought I had found a new writer to read, but was so disgusted by the ending of this book that I doubt I'll try another.
Nenia Campbell
Sensationalism is like salt. A little bit adds flavor--too much, and you want to gag.

I want to gag.

Even for a gothic novel this is exceptionally melodramatic, which is an achievement of its own considering that nothing significant really happens for the first hundred and fifty pages. Perhaps more. That's just when I jumped ship.

The story is about a premed student named Julie from a Southern family with old money and prestige. She's forced to come home when the grandmother who nobody likes takes
Jen
As a teen I absolutely devoured every Barbara Michaels book I could get my hands on. Now, I feel the difference in what I'm used to reading in terms of writing quality. Not that this is bad writing, but not quite the caliber I tend to prefer. Still, an entertaining read, and I'd rather be entertained than deal with a perfectly written but boring book any day.
Mare
Barbara Michaels can be counted on for an atmospheric story and once again she delivers the goods. Her down to earth characters, interesting setting (love the decrepit old mansion), and humorous little touches will delight anyone with a desire to spend some time in the south. I recommend this story to anyone who enjoys a bit of creepy with their suspense.
Andrea
Jun 15, 2008 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrea by: Jennifer
Jennifer chose this book for me as some much needed escape from the world of the dying. Of course, skeletons abound, but I got so into the story that I stayed up half the night reading it. Not literary fiction, but exactly what I needed! And I love the information about--you guessed it--uncovering and dating dead bodies. he he.
Kate
Oddly disappointing. It's been a while since I read any of Elizabeth Peters' gothics, and I used to enjoy them, but this one was lacking, even though it was read by Barbara Rosenblat. It felt...outdated. The mystery and suspense were okay, but not great. Maybe I just like these better in my head than read aloud. Hmm.
Lindasue
This is the first Barbara Michaels I read and remains, IMHO, her very best. Set in the Virginia Tidewater, a region I know well, it has great atmosphere, a likeable heroine, a heroic dog, just the right amount of ghostly plot. Not quite as much humor as her other books, but very satisfying.
Jj Le
I have read several books from her and each time swear I will never read another. But each time the title gets me and I want to go again. Lol. But I cant stand this womans books, it sucks!!! They start off promising but by the 3rd chapter...very disappointing. Two thumbs down!!!
Jennifer Thomas
this is a typical romantic thriller, an easy read.... but. its one of the few that stayed with me, that I re-read over and over.... that last paragraph. the very last one.... it still chills me, even after twenty years.
  • Summer of the Dragon
  • Wildfire at Midnight
  • Waiting For Willa
  • The Silk Vendetta
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose