Start by marking “Shattered Silk (Georgetown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Silk (Georgetown, #2)

Shattered Silk (Georgetown #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,362 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A Killer Lurks In her quaint vintage clothing boutique in picturesque Georgetown, Karen Nevitt's laces and white linens seem so innocent. Her aunt's aged friends have even ransacked their attics to help the novice entrepreneur launch her business. The dresses they produce are exquisite--valuable designer originals from decades past--but unwittingly Karen has discovered som ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by HarperTorch (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Silk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shattered Silk

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Modern Gothic
54th out of 387 books — 817 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesStardust by Neil Gaiman
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
164th out of 272 books — 685 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly
I loved it. Of course Barbara Michaels is one of the masters of the genre along with my favorites; Phyllis A. Whitney, Mary Stewart, and Victoria Holt. I spent my teen and young adult years devouring their books. I'm just surprised it took me this long to discover Barbara Michaels. For those of you who don't know this is one of the names Barbara Mertz (aka Elizabeth Peters & Barbara Michaels) wrote under. I have read and enjoyed several of books she wrote as Elizabeth Peters. Sadly she passe ...more
Kasia S.
I wasn't originally planning on finishing the book so this review wouldn't be written, but I forced myself, after all Barbara Michaels is one of my favorites but this time she truly produced a dud! It was surprising to see how many stars this book has and all of the praising reviews, and of course I know everyone has a different taste and they are allowed to like what suits them but I have enjoyed her other books - which had lukewarm reviews - that were so much better. This would be one Michaels ...more
Samantha
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
It was a review at Radish Reviews that made me pick this one up for a reread. This and the trilogy it's part of have always been amongst my favourite Barbara Michaels books, and ones I've reread again and again. Clearly not in the last 10 years, though, as I was surprised to find I haven't reviewed them here. Time to rectify that oversight! (Seriously, though, I could have sworn I reread Ammie Come Home not that long ago... oh, well).

Anyway, enough waffling, and on to the review. Shattered Silk
Kristen
This is the first Barbara Michaels book I've read and I enjoyed it. Michaels does a very good job creating suspense and uncertainty about who's who and what's really going on.

At first I was a bit annoyed with main character Karen, because she appeared to be a wimpy dish-rag who was willing to let people walk all over her. But she very quickly gets her gumption back and starts to build a new life for herself, having left her jerk of a husband and moved back to Washington where she has friends and
Angela
Shattered Silk is the second of a set of three Michaels novels that, had they been written by a later author, would have been called a trilogy on the grounds that they share common characters. In this book, the POV character is the sister of the younger female lead Sarah in Ammie Come Home, and there are notable mentions of Ruth and Pat from the same novel, as well as a brief and colorful cameo by Pat's mother.

It is also, for me, the strangest one of the three to read. Nothing supernatural happe
Nancy
I bought this book on cassette tapes a few years ago, and finally got around to listening to it. It started a little slowly. I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the antique clothing. I was really getting into it at the point Karen is confronted by the murderer, and then the very last tape jammed. I was able to put the one copy the library has of this book, on hold. I found I only had twenty pages to read. The ending was exciting, and I'm glad I was able to find another copy of it to allow me t ...more
Luseride
Karen is coming out of a bad marriage and agrees to house sit for her aunt and uncle in their Georgetown home while they travel abroad. Working part time in an antique store gives her motivation to get out of her funk and begin living again.

After taking on commision designer gowns from her uncle's aunt the door is opened for her to buy vintage clothing from a few other elderly ladies on society. This is where things get intresting.

Not only does her flame from college come into the picture, so d
Jean
The second book in the Georgetown Trilogy, this novel has characters related to those in Ammie, Come Home. This book is more of a straightforward mystery. Exploring the theme of friendship in its varied forms, this book let me watch the characters grow and change. I also learned about vintage clothing. The book is well worth reading.
Patricia
The same enjoyable type of story as Ammie Come Home - somewhat dated with references to the 1960's or early 70's, but one can overlook that because of the author's talent with realistic dialog and attitude toward supernatural subject matter.
Mary
A very gentle suspense involving a recently divorced woman who is attempting to open her own vintage clothes/linens store while battling her weight, her poor self esteem and mysterious happenings.
I was surprised that this book was published and set in the late 80s, to me the characters acted more like they were from an earlier era. The details about the linens and dresses were interesting, but I never really felt a connection with the lead female characters who had incredibly volatile emotions a
Tracey
Jul 03, 2008 Tracey added it
I'm addicted. This book lived up to my expectations, after loving the first one of hers I read so much. The characters are very real--it's really funny after comparing Riley (from Into the Darkness) to Darcy, because in this book I always pictured Colin Firth as Mark (as in Mark Darcy from Bridget Jones's Diary). I didn't guess the end to this one either, though it did seem a little more random. I think I just missed a lot of the little clues. It's a good thing it was all recapped at the end, or ...more
Jenna
I love Elizabeth Peters, even when she writes as Barbara Michaels. This is more of a Peters book, actually, since the Michaels books tend to deal more with supernatural phenomena, and this is pretty much a straight mystery. It features some of the characters from 'Ammie, Come Home' - arguably the most chilling Michaels out there - and some characters that come back in 'Stitches in Time'. I love how the main character, Karen, transforms herself through the book, and the love story - stories, real ...more
Joyce
Over the years, I have read everyone of Ms. Michaels' books, including some by Elizabeth Peters, her other pen name. This is the one I go back to for an easy read. Young girl housesits for her aunt, is in the throws of divorce, meets up with old beau, and goes into the vintage clothing business. It is entertaining and an easy read.
Anastasia
Elizabeth Peters (under any name) is one of the best-educated and most insightful authors in this genre. Any romance/mystery genre convention is acceptable when interwoven when her understanding of history and myth. In this case, ghost stories in Georgetown play out alongside class struggles for a perfect diversion.
Shaunte
I was intrigued with the underlying theme of the book- I learned a lot about vintage fabrics. Barbara Michaels novels are more than your usual murder/mystery, I am always interested in learning about the different hobbies the characters are involved in. I wish she would have written more books. I devoured them all-
Jaime Contreras
This was my first Barbara Michaels' novel. I did not know that it was Elizabeth peters (aka Bm) who wrote this at the time. I fond it intriguing and a good yarn with a brave heroine, Karen Nevitt trying to unravel a mystery that has something to do with that chest. Hmmm.
Samira
Barbara Michels books are my dirty little secret--they are, as far as I am concerned, the world's most perfect escape literature. This one is about a newly divorced woman setting up an antique clothing business with the sister of the man she left for her ex-husband.
Sharon
This was a quick read because the story moves along and holds one's interest. I expect a touch of the paranormal from Ms Michaels, but this was just a well-told mystery with some fun love interest thrown in. Good book!
Rebecca
The works of Barbara Michaels are all stand alone (not part of a series). They are entertaining romantic suspense novels with a "modern gothic" twist. I've read and enjoyed all of them.
Calli
The mystery was fine, and the vintage clothes info was interesting, but I had a hard time really connecting to the characters. I didn't dislike them, I just didn't care very strongly.
Vi Elsey
This is an oldie but goodie. I have been addicted to Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels for years and this is one I somehow missed. What a treat and what a change from Barbara Kingsolver!
Ht
it was not what I thought it would be. it took me forever to finish. I am trying to read another of her books, depending on this book is gonna depend on if I read anymore of her books.
Jellicle
Vintage fabrics, a woman reinventing herself after a failed marriage, a sexy cop, a handsome politician, a crazy old lady, and a psycho killer on the loose. What's not to love?
Marijo Kist
loved this one! it is perfect middle book of a series.....but actually holds its own as a stand alone. That is rare for second book of a trilogy.
Kayla
I thought this book was pretty good, albeit very light reading. I'm not actually used to reading much light material, so it was pretty refreshing...
Jules Wake
I've read this twice but some time ago. I really hope that Barbara Michaels back list becomes available as e books. I'd love to read this again.
Marlene
Easy reading; fast reading. Not a lot to it. The characters were not very real to me, but there were plenty of choices for the whodunit aspect.
Carol
I think this may be a trilogy and I would like to read the others.
Shattered Silk was a great read and I loved the Georgetown setting.
Dorian
I enjoyed this book, followed a good mystery formula with some fascinating insight into the world of vintage clothing. :)
  • Devil May Care
  • Wildfire at Midnight
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...

Georgetown (3 books)
  • Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1)
  • Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3)
Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3) Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose