Start by marking “The Zork Chronicles (Infocom, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Zork Chronicles (Infocom, #5)

The Zork Chronicles (Infocom #5)

From the dawn of the age of computer games, one of the greatest challenges has always been Zork. This is the classic, the standard against which all adventure games are measured. Through five best-selling games, the world of Zork has been the source of fantastic quests by intrepid computer heroes.

Now, at last, readers can enter teh world of Zork without a computer, but wit
Mass Market Paperback, 290 pages
Published July 1990 by Avon (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Zork Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zork Chronicles

Terry
May 26, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming, infocom
I’ve read my share of video game novels and most of them have been fanboy wanks. Starting The Zork Chronicles, I had similarly low expectations, but this 1990 fantasy novel will probably end up being one of the best books I’ll read this year. It’s certainly one of the best fantasy books I’ve read, funny and imaginative, and reminiscent of Terry Pratchett’s work.

The Zork Chronicles references the three classic Infocom text adventures, but is set after “the adventurer” has plundered the remnants o
Brian
Dec 23, 2007 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A very entertaining book. If you ever tried to "kill grue with sword" in any of the Zork text games from the 1980s, you'll find this to be very funny. If you ever read "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" or analyzed the adventure genre, you'll find this to be smart. If you've ever sat through an awards ceremony as a nominee, you'll find this to be painfully honest.

If you bring none of those experiences to your reading of this book, you'll probably think it's a nice read, and not much more.

However,
East Bay J
Mar 21, 2009 East Bay J rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
I’ve played a little Zork in my time. I wasn’t aware anyone had novelized the game so I felt compelled to give this book a read. The Zork Chronicles was pretty fun but Effinger’s attempt to create a story following the laws of epic hero sagas as laid out by Raglan and Campbell ends up a bit by the numbers. While it is sometimes funny, most of the time the humor seems forced and the “zany” characters sometimes trite. What it is not is “Wry and black and savage,” as George R. R. Martin says on the ...more
Noel Thingvall
Did not finish. Made it to page 127/290. I tried, I just found it ponderous and impenetrable, burying the few interesting bits in endless streams of rambling dialogue that are trying desperately hard to be funny, but are just numbing and unengaging. It perfectly captures the laid back nonsensical style of the game, but as I couldn't stand the games all that much, I didn't get into this.

Not saying it's bad, just not for me.
Sbate
Aug 31, 2007 Sbate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gamers
This is about Zork which I never played much. I always wanted to but I kept getting eaten by grues or lost going w I could never figure out what to do next. Anyway the book is not as funny as the game. But it is worth reading I am lovin it.
Ronald
Ronald rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2008
Andrija
Andrija rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Area51
Area51 rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Grumpyturtlebear
Grumpyturtlebear rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2014
James
James rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2008
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2009
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Alexander Straub
Alexander Straub rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Peg
Peg rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Raph Koster
Raph Koster rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2009
Bob Holt
Bob Holt rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Jacob Wilson
Jacob Wilson rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Matthew Elmslie
Matthew Elmslie rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2007
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Joel
Joel rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2013
Jd
Jd rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2013
William Howe
William Howe rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »

Infocom (6 books)
  • Planetfall (Infocom, #1)
  • Wishbringer (Infocom, #2)
  • Enchanter
  • Stationfall (Infocom, #4)
  • The Lost City of Zork (Infocom, #6)