Stitches in Time (Georgetown, #3)

Stitches in Time (Georgetown #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,049 ratings  ·  78 reviews
When an antique bridal quilt appears under mysterious circumstances at the vintage clothing shop where Rachel Grant works, she is fascinated. She has never been able to resist handmade textiles from the past, for she believes that through the ages, women wove protective magic into their fabrics in order to mark the important events of their lives: birth, marriage, and deat...more
Published December 9th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Stitches in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stitches in Time

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBook of Shadows by Cate TiernanA Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessWitch Child by Celia ReesThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Wicca and other Pagan-based Fiction
68th out of 252 books — 652 voters
Something Borrowed by Emily GiffinCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Chick Lit for the Beach
371st out of 956 books — 1,372 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy Jackson
I bought this book expecting for it to go to the middle of my reading list to read during the summer “sometime”. However, the description kept coming back to me until I could no longer resist reading it. The whole premise of a quilt being handed down from generation to generation plus how it takes so many hours that a women feel they have sewn their soul into the quilt fascinated me. My younger sister is making a quilt for her bed and each square required a lot of embroidering as well as sewing...more
Kristen
Great book!! This book has so much in it that I don't even know where to start.

There's a mystery surrounding the antique quilt that arrives at the vintage clothing store where main character Rachel works. There's smart and funny inter-play between the very different and interesting other people in the story. There's in-depth examinations of the superstitions and magical beliefs and practices of various cultures. There are restless spirits, and what appears to be a possession of one of the charac...more
Angela
Finished up the Georgetown trilogy of Barbara Michaels books. Of the three, I think I like this one best; it's got the most complex set of characterizations, and some unusual manifestations of creepiness. There's good followup appearances of Pat and Ruth from Ammie Come Home as well as three of the four principals from Shattered Silk, Tony, Cheryl, and Karen--though now she's Kara, having changed her name as a symbol of breaking away from her old life. (She's a strikingly different character her...more
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
A trio that tempts the mind & heart

From "Ammie, Come Home" to "Shattered Silk" to "Stitches in Time": these books represent masterworks of paranormal mysteries & refined delights of humor blended with the best of "women's studies".

305+ years ago I read the first book, "Ammie Come Home" with its gentle yet terrifying exploration of ghost stories & quiet introduction to the concept of cultural anthropology. I found this delight in one of my mother's Reader's Digest Condensed Books. It...more
Suzanne
Jul 10, 2012 Suzanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked it up as a freebie at work, looked like a page turner. A bit different than what I usually read, and I see it's a #3. I read the other summaries, and I don't think the books are related so much that I need to read the others first. So, we'll see how this goes! :D
Carolyn
I read this book because I recently listened to another Barbara Michaels book on audio. I knew nothing about the author, but the audio book was read by one of my very favorite narrators, so I must have picked it up for that reason. I didn't care much for that book (The Black Rainbow--for one thing, the title has nothing whatsoever to do with the rest of the book!), but when I looked at reviews, several reviewers complained that that book is much worse than her usual fare. So I figured I'd try on...more
Ryan G
This was a little different than the 3 previous Barbara Michaels' books that I have read. Where the supernatural is sometimes hinted at, this was the first one I read that featured it as a main plot element to the story. It still takes a secondary role to that of the mystery itself and the interpersonal relationships of the characters, but it's still rather important to the story. It's actually what drives those relationships. What I enjoyed about it though was the way it was treated. It wasn't...more
LJ
STITCHES IN TIME - Okay
Michaels, Barbara - 3rd in Georgetown series

When an antique bridal quilt appears under mysterious circumstances at the vintage clothing shop where Rachel Grant works, she is fascinated. She has never been able to resist handmade textiles from the past, for she believes that through the ages, women wove protective magic into their fabrics in order to mark the important events of their lives: birth, marriage, and death.

But there is more than good in the quilt's magic power....more
Terri Tinkel
I'm not sure I really enjoyed this story. It had witchcraft and a lot of interesting information about quilts and antiques but I found the writing difficult to follow. Often a descriptive paragraph would begin and I wasn't sure who the subject was until the end of the paragraph...it made for confusion for me. The last 1/4 of the book really got interesting and the storyline picked up but I had to force myself to finish the book just to figure it out. The characters were very quick to agree on ev...more
Melody
An excellent story. A stolen quilt over shadows a young woman and causes her to try and kill her mentor. Excellent writing and a real page turner.
Lori
I really couldn't decide if I liked this book or not. I guess I should have read the series in order, rather than beginning with number three. It was all just a bit off.
Lara
This one always kind of creeped me out--I can handle ghosts just fine, but witchcraft/voodoo/dark magic type stuff really freaks me out for some reason. But I keep rereading it anyway, because Adam is just such an interesting character to me. He's big and quiet and has a beard and a child-like innocence that really kind of set him apart from your typical love interest in books like this. I just like him. That's all. I wish there were more dudes like him in romancy books--all those violent, long-...more
Susan
Pretty good story, well written. A little slow on action and paranormal events.
Donna
I'm liking the Barbara Michael's books....she's a little odd but for the most part they are well written. The subject is usually a little on the fantasy side, witches, spirits, hocus pocus kinda stuff but not deep & dark.
This book reflects a curse placed on a hand made quilt. While it does uncover the mystery at the end I would have liked to have seen the past events dispersed more through the body of the text. Sort of a twofer kind of story.
I will be getting more of her books from the libr...more
Luseride
A vintage clothing shop seems a safe part-time job for Rachel as she completes her doctoral dissertation. After having several quilts left on the porch, very fine quality and from an unknown source, Rachel begins to have strange moments with actions that she does not remember.

Could this be a case of possession, sympathetic magic, or insanity? Working with several others she seeks to find answers.

A romantic suspense novel filled with just enough paranormal to keep things interesting.
Julie
Just didn't grab me. Maybe because I have an abridged version that's hard to hear, even if it does have the usually wonderful Barbara Rosenblatt on narration. Lots of other audiobooks to consume, so moving on...
Kathie H
May 16, 2008 Kathie H rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Oh my goodness, this book is so poorly written! Oh how I weep for the potential for greatness this plot idea has. I've read Elizabeth Peters's books (Crocodile on the Sandbank) & they were pretty good. Not great, believe me, but entertaining. But this book! Yikes! It's just so awfully written. Just goes to show you, it doesn't matter how cruddy your writing is, you just might be able to be published AND make a more-than-decent living at it.
AM
I started this book in an abridged audio version and was enjoying it enough that I couldn't get over the feeling of missing out on stuff. So, I returned the audio to the library and bought the book. I really liked her characterization and enjoyed the mystery spiked with a little romance. This book also contains one of my all time favorite quotes, "Sardonic laughter was a homeopathic protection against total disintegration."
Patrice Sartor
I only go to the 30s before giving up, and then I skimmed for a while longer. I just never bonded with the characters, wasn't moved by the writing, and did not get pulled in by the storyline. An antiques store worker takes home a old quilt (which the store received under odd circumstances) in order to clean it properly. The quilt, however, is imbued with strange magical powers, and bad things start happening and zzzzz.
Myndi
This book really took me by surprise! It was a bit slow and confusing to start out with, but as it went on I became hooked. There's a mix of a subtle romance developing along with some paranormal aspects that I personally love. But none of it was so far out there that the average romance reader wouldn't have also enjoyed this book. Not to mention an element of mystery for those types of readers!
Kitty
Modern gothic. Wonderful, can't-put-down type. Young girl studying old witchcraft ideas for college, interested in women that "stitched spells into cloth". Falls into her own adventure involving an old quilt, a sexy injured cop who's wife owns an antique store, an old college professor who believes in people being possessed with old spirits. Bizarre, but good.
Rosamond
I found this to be a charming book, for those with an interest in fabric arts and women. However, it is somewhat weird. I rated the book lower because the explanations of the black magic were rather rushed and flippant. Somewhat sad story about the creator of the object in question: the quilt. Perhaps more time should have been given to that.
Beverly
I did not find this story as compelling or as creepy as some of her other ghost stories. The story is somewhat slow-paced, and only a few creepy goings on occur. I don't think Michaels built up the suspense in this book as well as she has in previous books. The revelation of who the ghost was wasn't all that exciting either.
Maggie
Dec 04, 2007 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: mystery-series
This is my favorite of the author;s written under this name. I reread it at least once a year since that first time over a decade ago. The line that always hits me the hardest is when Racheal (the heroine) is quoting a woman who was asked to sell a quilt she had made. The woman said she had stitched her soul into the quilt.
Book
Barbara Michaels' books wrap up very well. They always clear the complete truth so as to convey why/how everything happened. The closure here was brief and satisfying, though the drama of the characters manier times went too far from the paranormal scene of the plot. It took me quite a while to finish this one.
Mam
Interesting insights into quilting history and the myths/magic that are part of it. Good read.
Kathy  Petersen
The plot is thin, and so are the characters; but the premise is intriguing, so intriguing that I dashed right through it and enjoyed it immensely despite its obvious flaws. "I stitched my soul right into that quilt"; is it magic or is it a tapping into a force beyond what we can easily explain ...
Diane
I don't read many "romance" type novels, but I really liked this one because of the details of historic quilt and fabric restoration that were presented. I found this book after I read another book by Michaels, "Shattered Silk" which also involved preservation of historic fabrics.
Marijo Kist
i have lost track how many times i have read this.....and it never gets old....a perfect balance of adventuure, mystrey, romance and paranormal. I like reread Ammie, Come Home around early December, then Shattered Silk and time it so I read this around the Winter Solistice.
Hannah
Pretty lackluster and disappointing offering from Barbara Michaels, and definitely lacking in the witty character banter and supernatural elements that she's so well known for.

I wish I could muster up a better review, but frankly don't have the interest to do so.

• Summer of the Dragon
  • The King of the Castle
  • My Brother Michael
  • A Nun in the Closet
Barbara Michaels is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also writes as Elizabeth Peters, as well as under her own name.

She was born in Canton, Illinois and has written over fifty books including some in Egyptology. Dr. Mertz also holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in Egyptology.
More about Barbara Michaels...
Ammie, Come Home (Georgetown, #1) The Dancing Floor Smoke and Mirrors Vanish with the Rose Be Buried in the Rain