Start by marking “The Body in the Library” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Library

The Body in the Library (Miss Marple #3)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  26,106 ratings  ·  950 reviews
Published (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Library

Kwoomac
Someone here on Goodreads has a shelf called "cozy mysteries" and I think this is a perfect description of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.You can't get much cozier than a tea-drinking elderly spinster in a tiny English village. The Body in the Library is a clever little book. Miss Marple is called in to investigate when her friend finds a dead body (in the library). What I enjoy about Christie is she doesn't take her mysteries too seriously. There's lots of room for humorous little bits. I ...more
Madeline
This was my first foray into the Miss Marple series of Agatha Christie mysteries, and I have to admit first and foremost that this story has one of the best setups I've ever read in a detective novel: one morning Colonel and Mrs Bantry, the owners of a big English country house, are woken by their staff and informed that a dead body is in their library. It's a young blond woman in a cocktail dress, strangled to death and sprawled on the library rug. No one recognizes her, or has any idea how she ...more
Phrynne
Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors when I want to read something light, entertaining and always well written. This book did not let me down. Miss Marple was at her very best, guessing who the murderer was quite early in the piece but of course not letting the reader know who it might be. As usual I had no idea but just kept happily reading, letting her do all the detective work and enjoying how smart she is.
Bonnie
This was my first Agatha Christie novel. It's kind of a random one to start with. It's not Murder on the Orient Express or And Then There Were None or any of her other famous works. I chose it purely because I liked the cover. But you know what? I think it was a perfect choice.

Miss Marple is absolutely delightful. No ego, just a keen insight into the human psyche. She's also far more clever than me; I didn't spot the killer until it was too late.

It's almost a quintessential British village life/
Laurel Young
I've read this one repeatedly and always seem to come back to it. Partly this is because it actually took more than one reading to get the denouement clear in my mind--it's rather complicated, and at first it wasn't clear to me how the murderer's alibi was meant to work. However, the bigger reason to return to this one over and over is the wealth of fascinating detail about what it meant to be a "lady" in the 1940s and how clothes, makeup, etc. identify one. I could read Miss Marple's analysis o ...more
Misha
*Maxine's Review*

Noha Basiouny

كالعادة تقف الترجمة حائلا ثلجيا بين الإثارة والتشويق المميزان لقصص أجاثا كريستي.
لم تكن بهذا السوء بالطبع ولكنها إشارة إلي أفضلية قراءة الروايات الأجنبية بلغتها الأصلية.
ما علينا ... القصة لجريمة قتل تتعقد خيوطها منذ اكتشافها وما أن تلبث الأحداث بالانسياب حتي تكتشف جريمة أخري يتبين ارتباطها بخيط أرفع من الشعرة بالجريمة الأولي.
الآنسة ماربل عجوز عانس تتميز بذكائها وقوة ملاحظتها وكثيرا ما تساعد الشرطة في فك طلاسم القضايا المعقدة وهي بالطبع الشخص الذي سيتسني له حل لغز هذه الجريمة. الكاتبة أكثرت من ال
Kevin
Embarrassed to say I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. But since there are 80 of them and everyone I've spoken to says one is pretty much the same as the next, why not start here?

I didn't guess who the murder was. I was a little said there wasn't more Ms. Marple because the novel coasted brilliantly when she was onscreen. But mostly I was impressed as hell and how much ground AG covers in just 160 pages. A dozen main characters, a setting real enough to touch, a detective I'd follow into h
Kirstine
While reading this I had no effing clue who to suspect or what had actually happened. So that was very well done, one of the more intriguing mysteries, especially because it involves some of Jane's old friends, so you know they can hardly be suspects, but then how the hell did they end up with a body in their library?

It actually starts with one of the greatest opening chapters, where the husband of the house doesn't believe there's actually a body in the library, because that doesn't happen in r
Heena P.
After reading 4:50 from Paddington, I was expecting much more from this one, but unfortunately it's not as good as other Christie's books. It was a quick read and I guess that was the only good thing about it. As I'm planning to read all the books in Miss Marple series, I really hope that the rest of the books are better than this one.

Personally I won't recommend it to anyone. This book is definitely not for me!

You can read this review at The Reading Bud
Ririn
My second Miss Marple.

This time we can see Miss Marple getting more active role in the investigation, compared to the first one where she was only monitoring everything from her own garden!

A light reading for a mystery novel, but excellent nonetheless. Miss Marple using her expertise in human behavioral and her unique source of investigation - the village gossip - to put things together and come to the right conclusion. Cozy, but still beat me in every turn!
Susan
I don't remember many details about this story, except that it was entertaining enough to distract me from increasingly sharp labor pains during the very early hours of June 18, 1987!
Myonlycookie
I'm feeling a little torn with this one. It's Agatha Christie, so I love her easy and clever writing style. I liked this mystery and its solution well enough, but I felt it was a little convoluted.

Basic premise: Mysterious body in a library. Christie deliberately chose a stereotypical murder set up. I really like the idea of experimenting with this.

This was my first Miss Marple book. I've read a bunch of Poirot, and seen the Marple TV series. I'm curious as to if all the Marple books bounce bac
Cheryl
A Miss Marple mystery by Agatha Christie, THE BODY IN THE LIBRARY grabs you from the beginning when a young woman's body is found in the library of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry, wealthy, upright citizens of St. Mary Mead. To squelch the town gossip and to enjoy the investigation into the only murder that will happen in her home, Mrs. Bantry calls on her friend, Jane Marple to solve the mystery and save her husband's reputation.

Agatha Christie is not a linear writer, as any reader of her more than ei
Maxine Mathew
The people of St. Mary Mead get hold of some juicy gossip when a body of an unknown young blonde woman is found in the library of the respectable Bantrys. As the suspicion falls on Colonel Bantry, Mrs. Bantry calls on Miss Marple to help solve this perplexing case. Investigations performed by Colonel Melchett and Inspector Slack of Radfordshire force lead them to the rich invalid, Conway Jefferson. With the inclusion of Conway Jefferson in the case, the investigation spans to The Majestic Hotel ...more
Tim
I have never read Agatha Christie which is a bit surprising since I read so much. It’s also a bit surprising since I have seen and enjoyed plays, movies and television series based on her work since I was a kid. And finally it’s probably most surprising since my partner has been a life long fan…to the tune of collecting several editions of some of her books (some of the covers are not to be missed—apparently Christie hated most of them). I thought, I’d try listening to one & he suggested “Th ...more
Jenni Lou
Agatha Christie‘s The Body in the Library, published in 1942, is a light read, but sprinkled with a variety of unlikable characters, most which can be considered suspects. They are greedy, or indifferent about the murder of the poor young woman found dead in the library of Mr. & Mrs. Bantry.

The story flip-flops between characters. For awhile we follow the Inspector and then we will follow Miss Marple and/or Miss Bantry. This back and forth isn’t necessarily jarring but it seems to slow the a
Jessica-Robyn
Agatha Christie knows a thing or two about creating an interesting mystery with a cast of characters a mile long. In the murder of a young, pretty girl the suspects are many and all are suspect in some respect, but only Miss Marple will solve the crime.

Unfortunately, compared to my previous experiences with Miss Marple, this book was a disappointment. The murdered girl was unspectacular, the characters were all somewhat unspectacular, and the way everything came together would have me interested
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Miss Marple's friends, Colonel and Mrs. Bantry, awake one morning to a horrible discovery in their Library - the body of a young blonde woman. She is soon identified as Ruby Keene, a dancer and Bridge hostess from a nearby hotel. Mrs. Bantry asks for Jane's help before the wagging tongues in St. Mary Mead socially castigate the old soldier. Also the Police are interested in the old spinster's thoughts on the murder, especially after iit is learned that an invalid older gentleman staying at the m ...more
Bayansa
اول رواية أقرؤها ل اجاثا كريستي
الترجمه جيدة وهي مادعتني لإكمال الكتاب
اتفهم الان لماذا تعتبر من اعظم واشهر مَن كتب في قصص الجريمة في القرن العشرين
ابهرني التغلغل الرائع لشخصيات الرواية .. للدوافع ومكامن النفس البشرية .. ذكي جدا هو وصفها ..
المبهر اني ظللت في حيرة ولم يتسنى لي ان احل اللغز او ان افكر بالمجرم .. تبدي لنا اجاثا وكأنها قضية يصعب حلها
وحتى الصفحات الاخيرة .. تأتي الصدمات المفاجئة ..الصدمة تلو الأخرى
الجريمة تبدو غريبه جدا بحد ذاتها ومعقدة ، ومن ثم يأتي التبرير والتفسير لكيفية وقوعها
Anwar
منذ سنتين عرفت أجاثا كريستي ، ولم أتجرأ أن أضم لمكتبتي كتاباً عليه اسمها ..
لكن اسم هذه الرواية جذبني أكثر من اسم آجاثا !
صدقاً .. أحببتها واستمعت بها ، خصوصاً في تلك الأوقات التي أكون فيها متعبة وأحتاج لقراءة كتاب يثيرني ،
الجميل فيها جداً أنها لا تحتاج لجلسات طويلة في القراءة ولا ذهن صافٍ .. لذا كنت أقرأها في حالة تعب وإرهاق.
كانت لتستحق أكثر من ثلاثة نجوم لو أنني قرأتها بلغتها الأصلية ^^

إمم أعتقد أن رواية أجاثا لن تكون وحيدة .. سأضم لها أخوات أخريات =)
Stephanie
I loved it! The ending was actually quite different to the television episode. I loved the end of the penultimate chapter and how the murderer was caught but you still didn't know who it was. Then how the last chapter just discussed all the suspects, their motives, their means, etc.

Overall I found the story very clever and amusing. I enjoy Miss Marple's stories very much and I love the character of Mrs Bantry she was QUITE a character.
Modbon
Oct 12, 2007 Modbon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of "cozy" mysteries
Shelves: britishmystery
One of the best (and most typical of her best) of Christie's novels, all of which I have read over the years. I love the Miss Marple mysteries best, followed by the Tommy & Tuppence series. Reading Christie is like eating comfort food...best saved for a cold winter day when you need something to take your mind off the rest of the world. This is wrapped-up-on-the-couch-in-an-afghan reading :)
Tushar Damle
I just raced through this book and completed it in less than 3 hours. Then I looked it up and found that it’s actually much smaller than Christie’s other novels (I was reading the eBook). There were as many characters, suspects and reveals as any of her previous books, but this one had a very tight focus on the plot, which makes this one of Agatha Christie’s weaker novels. I like Miss Marple’s novels to be chatty and associate tight plotting with the Poirot ones, so this book just seemed weird, ...more
Carolyn F.
I kept seeing in my mind's eye Dolly Bantry as portrayed by Joanna Lumley in the PBS show. This audiobook went by way too fast. I love Ms. Marple and would have enjoyed more.

I didn't find the Miss Marple as compelling as the Poirot I had read. That being said - if you are a mystery fan how can you not like an Agatha Christie?
Shannon
Agatha Christie mysteries are always fun. She plays fair with her readers, supplying all the clues. For this novel, I decided to write a chart of any activities the characters did on the night of the murder. Thinking "creatively" (as my husband) recommended also established a suspect and motive.

Devout Poirot fan, now getting into the Marple series, I find it interesting how the character was created due to the author's sympathies toward the marginalized older population. After seeing one of her
I had no idea who the killer was in The Body in the Library. The reveal was a complete surprise, but made sense when thinking back. Still, I never would have considered the possibility of the mystery ending this way.

Miss Marple truly shines in The Body in the Library. I loved the village life comparisons she used to point out possible reasons why a suspect may be behaving as they were. And of course, she outwits everyone in the end. Luckily the police know to take this little old lady seriously.
Tali
I gave this Miss Marple novel (the last of this series for me to read) three stars, although really I would've preferred if there was a 3.5 star option.
The plotline is interesting and the original concept is neatly set up - a body is found in the library of a young girl who the house owners don't recognise - but there's something about some of the characters that irritated me. Miss Marple is the same as she ever is and I still liked the Bantrys (the homeowners) and the rest of the residents of
Kurt
As much as I love Agatha Christie when she writes terrible classist novels and I get to judge her for her faults, I think I love her more when she writes a book that shows that she gets the joke. This is that book - the intentionally melodramatic title is just the first step in what is essentially a murder mystery comedy. A dead blonde appears in the library of an elderly couple, and the wife is immediately swept up in the excitement - yes, of course, it's tragic when someone is murdered, but th ...more
The Agatha Christ...: April 2014: The Body in the Library 9 24 Jul 09, 2014 11:10PM
Literary Adventure : The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie 2 6 Jun 23, 2014 10:26AM
Adding to Bookshelves 12 34 Jun 17, 2014 01:17PM
Agatha Christie L...: December 2013 - The Body in the Library 43 118 Apr 24, 2014 01:11PM
Mystery 21 120 Dec 10, 2013 03:46PM
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh, #2)
  • Champagne for One (Nero Wolfe, #31)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)

“What I feel is that if one has got to have a murder actually happening in one's house, one might as well enjoy it, if you know what I mean.” 14 likes
“Downstairs in the lounge, by the third pillar from the left, there sits an old lady with a sweet, placid, spinsterish face and a mind that has plumbed the depths of human iniquity and taken it all as in the day's work....where crime is concerned, she's the goods.” 11 likes