Start by marking “Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild” as Want to Read:
Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

Sisterhood, Interrupted: From Radical Women to Grrls Gone Wild

Contrary to clichés about the end of feminism, Deborah Siegel argues that younger women are reliving the battles of its past, and reinventing it--with a vengeance. From feminist blogging to the popularity of the WNBA, girl culture is on the rise. A lively and compelling look back at the framing of one of the most contentious social movements of our time, Sisterhood, Interr ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sisterhood, Interrupted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisterhood, Interrupted

Rowan
Nov 25, 2010 Rowan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in the history of feminism
Speaking as someone who came of age in the 1990's without any strong voices of feminism around me, I found this book enormously helpful in sorting out all the confused and conflicting information and stereotypes I have absorbed about the feminist movement. It lays out the history of the movement, covering the major events and developments of the Second Wave (the 1960's and 70's), and continuing through to the present day. I got a much clearer idea of who the major players have been, what has bee ...more
Kari
I like this book, but for me it wasn't anything new. It is a wonderful book for a quick look at the contemporary women's movement particularly the second wave and the third. I take a little issue with the depiction of the second wave only because of the brevity. Most of the book discusses the second wave, which is fine that history is longer and richer, but still more could have been put into the second wave.
Also, I'm wary and just tired of the notions of dueling waves. I love second wave femin
Florinda
Mar 01, 2012 Florinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sisterhood is powerful, the second-wave feminists of the 1960s and 70s declared. I have, and am, a sister, and I believe this; my sister and I are very good friends. But we haven't always had the easiest relationship - it's pretty unusual to have sisterhood without sibling rivalry. In Sisterhood, Interrupted, her history of contemporary feminism and its factions and friction, Deborah Siegel considers the ways in which the sisterhood analogy has united and divided women.

]Feminism may appear to be
Jane
I read this for my Gender Studies class and I liked it much better than some other informative feminist texts I've read previously. I really liked that the author acknowledged the racist and homophobic past of feminism (which is, unfortunately, still present today). Valid points are made for both young and old feminists and why they may not see eye to eye. With older women insinuating young women might only vote for a presidential candidate to meet boys, it does seem there is a ways to go.

My int
Courtney Stirrat
This may be the best history of the modern women's movement from the second wave through the third - and beyond. Delightfully written, exhaustive in coverage without being overly academic (which I never mind much)AND inclusive of the diverse strands of feminism and political women from the beginning of the third wave. Ideal for a women's studies class, it felt much like listening to lectures by my favorite political science and women's studies professor.
Emily Dahl
Nov 07, 2008 Emily Dahl rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, wost
This was a fantastic history of the women's movement. It gave a concise, yet comprehensive, history of the second and third waves of feminism; examining the conflicts, defeats, and triumphs that have led us to where we are today. A great read for anyone looking for an in-depth and accessible Feminism 101 Reader.
Kathryn Knight Harper
A great review of second and third wave feminists. It gave me knowledge to explain the history of feminism to those who question my recent admission of being the f-word (feminist!) and helped me get a better handle on my beliefs. This is definitely a book for those with a basic knowledge of feminism and a desire to learn more.
AJ
Jan 07, 2009 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but much of it I feel I have already read about in other books, blog entries, etc. Also, it's kind of weird to read a book about feminist in-fighting. I would probably have enjoyed it a few years ago when I was just starting to discover feminism, and it's probably better suited to newbies.
Cinnamon
Jan 18, 2012 Cinnamon rated it it was amazing
Great overview that lays out some of the battles within finish as well as those it has had with patriarchy. Highly suggested as an initial read by anyone new to feminist thought. Consider it a summary of all the people you should read more from.
Katherine
Oct 05, 2007 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gender, not-owned
A short and cogent look at the last 40 years of U.S. feminism...but I admit I was a little suspicious of its research when the intro misquoted the infamous 1990s talking Barbie as saying "Math is hard" (nope, it was "Math class is tough"--not great, but there IS a difference). Yes, I'm just that picky!

There are a few errors, but this is mostly very well-done. A good intro to those who aren't that familiar with this territory, and a fast read for those of us who feel compelled to read every majo
Lauren
May 15, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
This was a quick, helpful read that outlines the history of the feminist movement while explaining and exploring some of the tension and infighting that has plagued it. While it may be too general for a women's studies major, I was happy to have Siegel review some of the basics about the first and second waves so that this member of the third wave could be clear on why we don't always get along (issues of race, class, and sexual orientation are definitely at play). I read it in two hours - a gre ...more
Craig
Mar 13, 2011 Craig rated it liked it
This is kind of a misnamed book. Near the end the author says we should retire the term sisterhood and then focuses on the future of Feminism. So why isn't it called Feminism, Past and Present or something like that?

A quick read and some interesting stories but mostly it's personal essays by the author who probably spends too much time focusing on certain celebs or female leaders while ignoring others who are surprisingly omitted.

Did I learn anything major about the feminist movement during the
Carrie
Mar 13, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You know who you are
This book should be read by anyone studying the current state of the modern womanhood.
It gave a great, though I am sure biased, overview of second wave feminism.

I actually respected and possibly now like Betty Freiden. Though I am making judgements based on this one book. So I expect to be wrong with the next book I read.

Its discussion of feminism as a WASP phenomenon is totally worth having and me in my baby feminism dabbling had yet to fully realize.
Reedz0r
Oct 14, 2011 Reedz0r rated it it was ok
i wanted to like this more. it was mostly a recounting of tales from feminism's history, which is important, but i didn't feel like this book was pushing any new ideas. if you don't know much about the feminist movement and want to learn more, this might be a decent place to start.

personally, i'll give a book a certain number of pages to catch my interest. i tried, but this book didn't compel me to read it in its entirety.
Mike Lindgren
Sep 03, 2009 Mike Lindgren rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A spry, thoughtful primer on the history of feminism and the dissensions and schisms therein. Siegel's thesis boils down to a plea for reconciliation between aging boomer radicals and the irreverent "third wave" that has supplanted them, but the main value of this book, at least to this curious non-expert, is its vivid and concise summary of the major developments, personalities, and ideas in postwar feminism.
Lasca
Nov 17, 2008 Lasca rated it really liked it
This is a really THICK book, with loads of info, but gave me some new insights, & perspectives on the wider contemporary feminist movement, as well as reviewing a lot of the history/ divisions within the women's movement. Helped me understand a little more about the current ebb of women avoiding/ being apathetic to some of the issues. I left it feeling more motivated to act/ be involved. Also gives a hefty list of resources.
Jayne Lamb
Dec 02, 2016 Jayne Lamb rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-shelf
Great potted history of feminism in the US from the late 60s to the early 00s. Siegel is a great writer.
Aiko
Mar 01, 2014 Aiko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly an interesting and relevant topic (Just change "Myspace" to "tumblr"), but I felt that the execution of it could have been better. While I feel that it's great for learning a general history of feminism as well as about its current movements, I wanted Siegel to go into more analysis with less fact-spewing.
Kate
Sep 07, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is somewhat interesting but mostly pretty basic stuff. It is a brief history of feminism in terms of second wave versus third wave, their similarities and differences. It could be more interesting to someone with less knowledge, but to the well read third wave feminist it is likely to be a bit boring.
Layne
Aug 06, 2008 Layne rated it liked it
I liked this book, but as more of a history and a reference than an argument--its point, that women should find common ground and work for change, is hardly original, but Siegel tells a lot of interesting stories about the 70's and 90's and includes a great bibliography.
Adrian
Jun 01, 2013 Adrian rated it really liked it
Sisterhood, Interrupted is a terrific overview of the women's movement from about 1963 to 2007. Perfect for anyone who's interested in an introduction to the key people, texts, and ideas of second and third wave feminism.
Bryony Gundy
Sep 19, 2012 Bryony Gundy rated it it was ok
This book provides a general history of feminism in the U.S that I found interesting on times. But, I personally did not like the writing style which meant that I found the book really hard to get into.
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 Cherie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: feminists
B- Really this book didn't offer anything new; maybe a women's studies history lesson, telling me a few new stories. However, the narrative was way too all over the place and the chronology was off. Interesting for feminists.
Carli
Sep 02, 2007 Carli rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, feminist
This is a great introduction to some of the major landmarks of the feminist movement and the main controversies between feminist schools. For anyone who just wants the basics on 20th and 21st century feminism, this is a 4-star. An easy, informative read. Long live the sisterhood!
Kristen Northrup
This seemed to be a good U.S. Feminist History 101 sort of book, which is at my level. It's unfortunate (and telling?) that the bibliography is full of anthologies from the mid-90s but not much of anything more current.
Jenine
May 19, 2013 Jenine rated it it was ok
I'm sure this book will be interesting or useful to someone but I felt like I was trudging through a history book, which wasn't exactly interesting for me.
There is a great deal of information if you're looking for a history of feminism though.
Evamaria
Mar 28, 2011 Evamaria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Very interesting and quite concise overview of US feminism and the differences of opinion not just between second and third wavers but also the different approaches inside the movements.
Missy Meegan
Jul 01, 2007 Missy Meegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn about feminism
Shelves: goodreads
This book provides the best history of the second and third wave feminist movement in the United States I have read to date. Siegel proves that sisterhood isn't dead, its just interrupted!
Christine Gordon
Oct 26, 2009 Christine Gordon rated it really liked it
Not very objective, but certainly an interesting perspective and a decent history lesson of a movement I'm embarassingly unfamiliar with
Cassie
Jan 10, 2008 Cassie rated it it was ok
I didn't get much new information from this book - it's really a pretty basic introduction to the history of feminism.
  • We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists
  • Fight Like a Girl: How to Be a Fearless Feminist
  • Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975
  • Dear Sisters: Dispatches from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America
  • Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation
  • Feminism and Pop Culture
  • Pink Think: Becoming a Woman in Many Uneasy Lessons
  • Where the Girls Are: Growing Up Female with the Mass Media
  • The Feminist Promise: 1792 to the Present (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments