Start by marking “Thorn Rose” as Want to Read:
Thorn Rose

Thorn Rose

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  490 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
„Erškėtrožė“ – viena iš gražiausių Brolių Grimų pasakų. Nuostabi istorija ir išraiškingos iliustracijos nuves jūsų mažylį į stebuklingą pasakų karalystę...
Published by Bradbury Press (first published January 1st 1812)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thorn Rose

Wuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Age of Innocence by Edith WhartonJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëEmma by Jane AustenPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Devil in a Blue Dress
85th out of 165 books — 37 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Witch Family by Eleanor Estes
Little Witchlings
47th out of 70 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura V.
Yo no sé mucho de princesas, pero si te despiertas con alguien encima tuyo, besándote, y no lo habías visto nunca en tu cochina vida, no lo miras con una "mirada llena de amor", sino que lo golpeas, gritas y corres!
Miriam
Jul 25, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, fairy-tale
Your basic Brothers Grimm version of Sleeping Beauty, with very nice illustrations from Le Cain, unobtrusively influenced by early Renaissance painting.
Ale
Apr 07, 2016 Ale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story

Ahí yacía, tan hermosa que él no podía mirar para otro lado, entonces se detuvo y la besó. Pero tan pronto la besó, Preciosa Rosa abrió sus ojos y despertó, y lo miró muy dulcemente.

se le olvidó cepillarle los dientes a Preciosa Rosa, Príncipe
❆ Crystal ❆
May 13, 2016 ❆ Crystal ❆ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. This is the original story behind Sleeping Beauty. I really enjoyed.
ily
Sigo imaginando al príncipe a punto de besar a la bella durmiente y después cayendo desmayado al percibir el olor de su boca. No hay nada romántico en poner tus labios en los de una chica que ha estado inconsciente por 100 años. Es asqueroso, ugh.

No me parece correcto que la princesa haya pensado que era dulce despertarse con un desconocido encima de ella. Por último, pienso que fue un exageración que la princesa estuviera dormida por 100 años. ¿Es que el hada no le puso quitar un cero a 100?
J.D. Galindez
Apr 14, 2016 J.D. Galindez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuentos
¡La hija del rey, cuando cumpla sus quince años, se punzará con un huso de hilar, y caerá muerta inmediatamente!

Entonces su puede decir que el príncipe se casó con una princesa de 115 años, wow, le gustan las maduras.
Red
Jun 02, 2015 Red rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deutch
The secret political life of plants. Even Rilke was captured by it.
Cierra Fisher
Sleeping Beauty is a fantasy genre written by the Grimms Brothers and illustrated by Maja Dusikovia. This story was written for children four to seven years of age. tThe Sleeping Beauty is about a queen and a king who always wanted a child. One day it was revealed that they would have a princess. When that dream came true, the king and queen threw a grand party to celebrate her arrival. Everyone one was there. All the fairies were invited excluding one. When that one fairy found out she wasn’t i ...more
Ziwei Cheng
Nov 09, 2014 Ziwei Cheng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful little princess love Luo was black witch's curse, she will die in her 16 years old. The king and queen are very sad, do not want their children to happen, they pray all day, hoping to move the gods do not take their baby, and finally they moved three good-hearted fairy. This is a 3 becomes magical fairy Farrer, emerald and blue sky. They came up with a good idea is to put himself into a farmer, and then adopt the little princess, so you can not find love Los black witch princess. Tim ...more
Wren (WrensReads)
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

Okay, so if you have seen Disney’s Sleeping Beauty, you know w
Samantha Simmons
: A childless king and queen have their wish for a baby granted when the queen saves a lowly fish from dying. The couple throws a feast in celebration and appreciation for the gift of their new daughter - Briar Rose - but make the mistake of leaving one of the kingdom's thirteen fairies off the guest list. This thirteenth fairy comes to the feast and curses Briar Rose that come her fifteenth year she will be wounded by a spindle and die. One of the other fairies is able to soften the curse, doom ...more
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
A princess is cursed by an offended evil fairy to fall into a deathlike sleep for 100 years, and when the curse is fulfilled, it takes the kiss of a curious prince to break the spell.

My Disney source material read-through has led me to Sleeping Beauty, and after reading a book based on Perrault's pre-Grimm telling, I picked up this edition, reportedly the Grimm version. It was the basic story you expect from Sleeping Beauty, which very few variations. It was direct and simple in the storytelling
Gladys
Nov 09, 2012 Gladys rated it liked it
Judging from the cover, I thought it out to be a fairy tale and based my conclusions from other obvious reasons like the author being the Brothers Grimm. As I was reading it, couldn’t help but fall in love with the pictures. Everything was beautiful, to the amount of detail each picture had… Even the borders around the text pages, the paintings, they all seem to fit “fairy tale” perfectly. It all came together and added the romance to the setting and plot. This book is probably one that I would ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
This a sweet, gentle retelling of the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty. There is nothing scary in this book; no scary witch or fairy, nor any great and terrible battle at the end. Instead the prince just enters the castle because essentially the clock has run out and the thorns have transitioned to fragrant flowers. Adults might find this out of step with the Disney version that we are all familiar with, but very young children are going to appreciate this gentler version as they are really all a ...more
Jessica
This was one of my favorite library books as a child. As an adult, I wanted to see if it would hold up. First surprise - the copyright was dated 1975, which was earlier than I thought it was. The illustrations are still lovely and very stylized - they remind me of medieval paintings - very flat, with lots of texture. The book is still one of my favorites.
Emily Powers
Nov 24, 2015 Emily Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folk
This book is alot like Cinderella when it comes to how I would use it in a classroom. Folk and fantasy books are great to use so that the students can rewrite their own versions of the story or see how different the story would be if written from someone else's point of view. I would also use this book in my fifth grade classroom.
Maca Contreras
Mar 26, 2015 Maca Contreras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He encontrado un libro con todas las historias de los hermanos grimm así que me propuse leer uno cada día mínimo y solo puedo decir que disney ha cambiado muchos detalles de muchos cuentos pero aun así ambos son geniales :3
Bells
Sep 07, 2014 Bells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
А вот эта история просто заставила меня десять раз прочесть несколько предложений.
Действительно было ооочень поразительно читать все это, зная с детства лишь такую нежную историю Диснея.
Конечно, что они курили вовремя написания - остается тайной, но однако пятерку за это они заслужили честно!
Mary
This is the original story of Sleeping Beauty told in French. It is eloquently written, with lovely pictures and a memory game at the end of the story. Great for young children or those learning French.
The Library Lady
A charming telling of the classic tale. The wicked fairy is mildly scary at the christening, but not as scary as, say, the version by a certain mouse symboled company(!)and there is no frightening sequence in the woods with the prince. The art is nicely detailed--not Jan Brett elaborate, but with lots to look at and a childlike quality that is very appealing. The telling uses a good deal of language drawn from the original tale, but an older preschooler old enough to sit through a Mouse company ...more
A classic retelling of Sleeping Beauty. The bad fairy that curses Sleeping Beauty is just scary enough to seem terrible without actually being too frightening for young readers. The pictures are soft and subdued, and while I find them a lovely compliment to the story, they will work best for one-on-one readings, not whole group read alouds.

You know those little girls that are always clamoring for princess books? I really wish that this book had a bit more pink and shiny to appeal to them. As it
Stephanie Klaren
This book could be used as a compare and contract with other versions for Sleeping Beauty. A good book for K-2 graders.
Maya
May 26, 2016 Maya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I've never been a fan of the Disney movie, and the original story is just as plain and boring for me..
Meltha
Mar 21, 2016 Meltha rated it really liked it
The lovely, late Gothic/early Renaissance style drawings resemble illuminated manuscripts. While the story is the same one from the brothers Grimm, the illustrations do add to the story. The only problems I had with this and that kept it from being a 5-star are that the book is a tad bit small, which in turn makes the pictures a little too small, and oddly there is no image of the wedding of the prince and princess, which seems like it would be an obvious choice for a particularly grand picture. ...more
Santiago
Dec 06, 2014 Santiago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Pureza o madurez?
Creo que La Bella Durmiente tiene esos temas a flote permanentemente, es la historia de una niña que a sus 15 años caerá dormida y eso es inevitable, tan inevitable como la pubertad (cosa que también llega por esa edad).
En este cuento se tocan muchos detalles como lo que le pasa a las personas (y animales) del castillo, quienes deben dormir por 100 años.
Desde mi opinión personal es un buen cuento, un cuento que puede ser un poco fuerte para niños pequeños ya que se habla de cad
Aug 25, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, romance
The classic version of sleeping beauty told by the grimm brothers.
David Amaral
Las películas de Disney >>>>> los cuentos.
Cassandra Ball
Dec 06, 2010 Cassandra Ball rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this traditional fiction and twist on Sleeping Beauty. I have always liked the story of Sleeping Beauy so reading this with a slight twist has been fun. Although, to me the beginning the authro really played everything up and then let the prince just waltz right in and save everyone. I wasn't really too fond of the ending because the author made it way too easy for the prince in my opinion. However, I think that children would really enjoy reading this novel.
Miri
Nothing very special. The actual Grimm version of this fairy tale is significantly less exciting than the Disney version—the unnamed princess has actually just turned fifteen, not sixteen, and many princes die try to rescue her until one comes along when the hundred years is about to be up, and the thorns around the castle just let him walk right in. The illustrations are a little bland, too.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Dornröschen <3
Allerdings konnte ich mich an den Anfang mit dem Frosch nicht erinnern und irgendwie hatte ich das Märchen etwas ausführlicher/detaillierter in Erinnerung.

Der Arme und der Reiche
Das kannte ich bisher nicht, und war auch nicht so meins, könnte so auch glatt in der Bibel als Gleichnis (?) stehen...

Das Gesindehaus
Das war mir auch nicht bekannt und gefällt mir nicht.
Books2Movies Club: Animated Films 02.3 - Little Briar Rose 1 5 Jul 24, 2014 01:03AM
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs: A Tale from the Brothers Grimm
  • The Little Mermaid and Other Tales
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • The Persian Cinderella
  • Goddess Girls Books #1-4
  • The Frog Prince (We Both Read - Level 1-2)
  • Tales from Beatrix Potter
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Cinderella, or The Little Glass Slipper
  • King Stork
  • The Snow Queen
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland - So Many Splendid Sundays
  • Snoring Beauty
  • Cupid and Psyche
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...