Start by marking “Seadogs: An Epic Ocean Operetta” as Want to Read:
Seadogs: An Epic Ocean Operetta

Seadogs: An Epic Ocean Operetta

Beware! When Old Seadog decides on "one last sail," he invites his good friends Brave Beagle and Dear Dachshund along for the ride. But the sea is filled with danger -- storms rage and pirates abound! Will the three friends end up as a dog meat?

Come set sail and sing along with this boisterous canine crew. Who knows what surprises lie ahead!
Published October 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published February 10th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Seadogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seadogs

Andrea
May 22, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
SeaDogs: An Epic Ocean Operetta is a story showing a cast of dogs doing an opera show in a theater. The show is full of adventure and fun; showing pirates and treasure hunting. The show also delivers the message of what is true treasure.
This book is fun for the whole family. It's full of songs and rhyme that get the kids giggling. The pages are full of detailed photos that compliment the story very well. This was a fun book all around.
Aimee
Jul 10, 2011 Aimee rated it it was ok
This charming graphic novel depicts a pirate adventure performed by an all-canine cast. The novel begins with an audience of dogs waiting for a play to begin. As the story unfolds it focuses just on the dogs in the play and not of those in the audience. The audience returns to the focus, after the play ends and the cast take a bow. The story is told through songs and verse, as the pirate pups struggle to find a hidden treasure and beat the dastardly Captain Jacques Fifi. The author parodies clas ...more
Bayley
Sep 07, 2008 Bayley rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I thought this book was absolutely adorable. It's remeniscent of Gilbert and Sullivan operas like The Pirates of Penzance and the HMS Pinafore, but the cast is filled with "ruff"ians of all types. The sea captain pooch, aptly name Seadog, leads a ragtag troop of pups out on the seas. Accompanying him are Daschund and the Beagle, who have a subplot love story. Even the pirate captain, Jacques Fifi, is lovable. I can see children having trouble having patience with this book, since it is written i ...more
Naomi
Jun 21, 2015 Naomi rated it it was ok
Cute and unusual kids book. The illustrations are what truly made this book and most likely what will grab a kid's attention.
Vasisht
for people who don't like reading
Mary Beth
Mar 18, 2011 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Seadogs is a favorite in our house and I highly recommend it as a great read-aloud, sing-aloud, and/or as a great comic for pre-readers. My 4-year-old knows the story by heart, and is happy to follow along with the illustrations, telling me or his little brother about the adventures of Old Seadog, Brave Beagle, and Dear Dachshund, and about their run-ins with Pirate Captain Jacques Fifi(the Terrier of the Sea!) and his mangy crew. It is an inspired tail(err, tale), and easily ranks as a Most Lov ...more
Jenn
Jul 08, 2009 Jenn rated it it was ok
I typically love any & all graphic novels. I appreciate the presentation style, the mix of visual & text elements. However, this one did not grab me. While I did enjoy the visuals (very colorful, vivid, compellling) the text did not pull me into the story. I kept waiting for "And then????"

However, that would not discourage me from recommending to a music teacher introducing opera to students. It does help explain what the style is & how a story is conveyed.
Lindsey
Written in verse, this is an adventure tale of dog pirates and their search for buried treasure. What makes it unique is the fact that the reader knows it's a play, because we see the little girl come into the theater and leave afterwards. The story and pictures are really cute, filled with plays on words with dogs. (Rudyard Kibbling, for example). Kids who like pirates will love it!
Bekka
This is really a cute book! Its all done with dogs as the people, and is a play on the old Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. The rhymes are silly and fun, with tons of dog-related puns, such as "Jacque Fifi, the Terrier of the sea!" The kids won't get the Gilbert and Sullivan references, but they will enjoy the illustrations and rhymes, and, of course, the dogs!
Dee
Dec 13, 2008 Dee rated it really liked it
No pun intended but it was a dog-gone good book. I saw the sea captain and it looked like a Westie to me. So I was sold. This book has lots of great dog puns and gag lines like:
The wind whipped cold and hard. Dear Dachshund dropped to his kness and prayed to Saint Bernard. Now that's funny. You really need to sing when you read this one.
Megan
Jul 10, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 4th grade - 8th grade
Recommended to Megan by: children's literature
This was a cute book but I am not sure who I would recommend it too. The book is done in poems, and the pictures next to the poems tell a completely different story. It was very well written and I liked the poems, I just could not get into the book.
jenny
Apr 25, 2008 jenny rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone, especially younger elem.
It's a cute, graphic novel style picture book. It's really about a little girl who goes to the opera with her parents, and the story is the opera that she sees. The story is done in rhyme, kind of like a ballad. It's funny and worth a read.
Abby
Aug 26, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching-ideas
Text in rhyme (could make up own music as you go) for all-dog pirate adventure--illustrates that sometimes what you sing is what is happening or how you feel or background information on your character
Emily
Sep 28, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud-to-me
I liked Seadogs because my mom made up the music. And I laughed at the kissing part. Seadogs was very great and I really liked it because of the part where they find the treasure.
Patty
Nov 25, 2013 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best when read aloud with your child. We had a lot of fun singing this epic ocean operetta--some "songs" better than others, but all in all a lot of fun.
Jen
Jun 30, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, children-s
I had a lot of fun reading this to my kids. We took turns making up the melodies of the songs and embarrassed ourselves silly.
Greta
Jul 07, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Lisa Wheeler is a master at poetry and rhyme. This operetta follows the form of Gilbert and Sullivan.
Rebecca
Lisa Wheeler is a good songwriter! This could be a (very ambitious) puppet show musical!
Breana
Jul 12, 2012 Breana rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Great story for kids. Good comic book style artwork for young children.
Apr 30, 2011 Sarah added it
for my Library Materials and Services for School-Age Children class
Sonya Chyu
Sonya Chyu rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Joe Eyres
Joe Eyres marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Brittany Crosby
Brittany Crosby rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Emily Pritchett
Emily Pritchett rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Jim Karagkounis
Jim Karagkounis marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Shana
Shana added it
Apr 18, 2016
Dgott
Dgott added it
Mar 29, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016