Start by marking “The Butterfly Effect” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect (Igi Heitmann #1)

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
"It is a cold, dark, windy night in Oslo, and Igi Heitmann pores over the debris in her dead father's office, trying to piece together the last days of his life as a failed private eye. She discovers a curious butterfly medallion in his desk - which in turn leads to the discovery of a young woman, Siv Underland, in a snow-drift, two bullets in her head and a gun in her han ...more
Published 1997 by The Harvill Press

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly Effect

Adri
Mar 08, 2013 Adri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it in English. Quite a solid translation although there were places where the language did not flow nicely.

Interesting plot although there are some unresolved matters at the end - almost as if the author ran out of steam. Or maybe they were merely red herrings.

Quite difficult to follow a story when one is not familiar with the 'landscape' and it becomes cumbersome to constantly go back to the maps in the front.

One also deals with a different culture, which is interesting. The story moves
Helen
Enjoyed this (probably a 3.5 really). I had read "The golden section" first which was probably a mistake as this one does explain the background a bit better, and the story precedes it. Igi is a psychologist who while not officially being a PI seems to have taken the role on following her father's death (her father having been a policeman and then a PI). Igi's marriage is unconventional (husband Benny is less evident in this novel than in its sequel) and she inhabits the fringes of a dangerous w ...more
Malcolm
Jan 03, 2013 Malcolm rated it liked it
It was not uncommon in the late 1980s and 1990s for writers to use ideas derived from chaos theory in fiction and in sociological investigations – and that was an important and pleasing development away from some of the more mystical notions emerging from physics and mathematics that had been used before then. I haven’t read any of those works for quite some time (although from time to time find myself going back to Ian Stewart’s excellent book about the mathematics of chaos, Does God Play Dice. ...more
M M
Apr 27, 2013 M M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Butterfly Effect propagates the usual misunderstanding about chaos theory, flapping wings and hurricanes. In this story set in a such a small dull town in Norway that living there must be like death, a girl’s body is found in the snow, riddled with bullets. The narrator, a sparky woman, determines that the dead girl had been her father’s last client; her father was a detective who had recently died in an accident. She is keen to find out if the deaths are in any way connected, and in the cou ...more
Sharon
Nov 23, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I can't help but wonder if Pernille Rygg's Norwegian novel 'The Butterfly Effect' seemed a bit jumbled to me because I had just finished the Swedish novel 'The Hypnotist' by Lars Kepler and both involve psychologist's and police. With the Butterfly Effect I felt I had to keep going back to double check which character was which, and who was who's mother or father etc. Despite this I still liked it better than The Hypnotist and will consider reading No.2 in the series and see how the story contin ...more
Morwen
Oct 27, 2014 Morwen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, _read-2014
Der Klappentext preist dieses Buch als würdigen Nachfolger von Hoegs "Fräulein Smillas Gespür für Schnee", das hätte mich misstrauisch machen sollen. Keine Frage, die Autorin will hoch hinaus: Chaostheorie, Kritik an der klinischen Psychologie, skrupellose Immobilienhaie, Drogen, ein Sektenguru, Kindesmissbrauch, die Schwulenszene - alles vor dem Hintergrund des norwegischen Winters. Das ganze in einem Krimidebut, noch dazu in der ersten Person Präsens geschrieben.
Irgendwann hatte ich auch etwas
Leslie
An intelligent Scandinavian take on a mystery novel, with dollops of chaos theory and complex systems thrown in. The translation is clear and readable, and the author has a good sense of the complexity of human behaviour and our ability to live with contradictions and cognitive dissonance.
Sae-chan
I think this is the first nordic novel I read. I quite like it, although sometimes I found myself get lost of what happened and had to re-read some pages back. Well, maybe that's only me. I come to like the name Yngve. Sounds dark and mysterious. Again, I believe it's only me.
Betty
Sep 19, 2012 Betty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was quite disappointing. The prose was 'clunky'- not sure if that is the fault of the translator. It was interesting to read a novel set in Oslo- but I didn't really find the main character convincing.
Melanie Clark
A lot of story in a little amount of book. I appreciated the pace, the humour and understand it is translated. I felt there were bits of storyline left untied which was slightly disappointing.
Fenixbird SandS
Dec 21, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction
When I recently read a review of "A Sound of Thunder," Ray Bradbury's short story-into-movie...the terminaology for the "time warp" created the term "butterfly effect".....
Alexis Debary
Sep 13, 2012 Alexis Debary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious and captivating prose with uplifting spells of Skandinavian humour.
Lia
Mar 24, 2013 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Gavin
Gavin rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Barbara Gavin
Barbara Gavin marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Cp
Cp marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Marissa Amanda
Marissa Amanda rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Ida Andersen
Ida Andersen marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Sophia
Sophia rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Sanaune
Sanaune is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Karin Lowe
Karin Lowe marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ultrajbk
Ultrajbk rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Arathi
Arathi marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Man on the Balcony (Martin Beck, #3)
  • The Priest of Evil (Harjunpää #10)
  • What Never Happens
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Blackwater
  • Before You Sleep
  • The Demon of Dakar (Ann Lindell, #7)
  • Between Summer's Longing and Winter's End (The Fall of the Welfare State, #1)
  • The Conqueror
  • The Exception
  • Mind Catcher
  • Broken
  • Season of the Witch (Einar, #4)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Sun and Shadow (Inspector Winter, #3)
  • My First Murder (Maria Kallio, #1)
  • The Puppet Show