Start by marking “A Pocket Full of Rye” as Want to Read:
A Pocket Full of Rye

A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple #7)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  13,403 ratings  ·  424 reviews
In this classic mystery, the beloved Miss Marple applies her wisdom to a children's rhyme to solve a complex crime. On December 4 and 11, PBS-TV's acclaimed series "Mystery!" will present two one-hour shows based on the book.
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published February 8th 2007 by AudioGO (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about A Pocket Full of Rye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pocket Full of Rye

Jeff
It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Agatha Christie and it’s easy to let one’s brain flow back into her story telling style. Her books do have a comforting familiarity. Dry humor to set the scene; the murder; the investigation; more dead bodies; the red herrings; the revealing.

No heavy lifting required. Like a pleasant spring day. This one is a Miss Marple and a decent read. It also provides an unexpected and emotional denouement.

Here’s the kicker for me: I find it very quaint that the Br
Laurel Young
Agatha Christie loved to use nursery rhymes as a motif in her mystery novels for added creepiness. Sometimes it works perfectly, as with And Then There Were None or Crooked House (my favorite). Sometimes it feels a little forced, as with One Two Buckle My Shoe or, in this case, A Pocket Full of Rye. The premise is clever and also disturbing--the three murders that echo the rhyme (the king, the queen, the maid). I wondered how on earth Dame Agatha would explain the murderer's use of the rhyme wit ...more
Anna  Matsuyama
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;
Wasn't that a dainty dish,
To set before the king?

The king was in his counting house,
Counting out his money;
The queen was in the parlour,
Eating bread and honey.

The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes,
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose
Cheryl
Following the English nursery rhyme, SING A SONG OF SIXPENCE, Agatha Christie constructs a mystery that seems as simple as a childhood verse, but proves diverse and unconnected until Miss Marple joins the investigation and focuses the Scotland Yard inspectors on each line.

"The King was in his counting house, counting out his money"---The odious Rex Fortescue, financier, dies in his office from taxine poisoning, an alkaloid extracted from the yew tree (Fortescue's estate is called Yewtree Lodge).
Mitch
All my friends know that if my life is busy but I still want to get my yearning for reading fullfilled that my go-to author is Agatha Christie. Her books keep me hooked where I can easily fly through them in at max two days, just by reading in the bathtub or before bed. I am RARELY dissapointed by her, and "A Pocket Full of Rye" did it's job. It kept me excited and although it doesn't rank in my top favourite AC books, it still was a well-done book to me.

THE FOLLOWING MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN SPOI
Ruth
No one could create puzzlers like Dame Agatha Christie. A Pocket Full of Rye is so jam-packed with red herrings, Christie could’ve taken the story towards a half dozen or so different resolutions (at least!). The victim, Rex Fortescue, was a thoroughly unlikable man, and the dysfunctional family he leaves behind are, for the most part, equally unpleasant. The incredibly competent Inspector Neele is assigned to investigate the case, and what at first seems like a “routine” poisoning case soon gro ...more
Annisa M Zahro
Ini seri ke-7 Miss Marple. Wanna try the others. Gimme more Agatha Christie's.. XD *review-nya nyusul yah

***

Inilah karya Agatha Christie yang pertama saya baca. Karena tidak ada embel-embel serial apa dan seri ke berapanya, jadi agak sulit kalau mau membaca urut, hehe. Saya pun asal comot ketika membelinya, ternyata buku yang ini adalah buku ketujuh dari serial Miss Marple, seorang nenek yang taktik mengumpulkan informasinya begitu "halus" tapi tepat sasaran. Miss Marple terhubung dengan kasus i
Carrie

You know, it was kind of fun when I was doing my mad end of year Agatha Christie tear, in hopes of finishing up all her books in 2008 (which BTW, I did not), but now that I am reviewing all those books I read, it is kind of a slog. I mean, Christie is a pretty good mystery writer, and it’s pretty amazing that she could write 80+ books with so few duds and so little repetition, but I am also running out things to say about them. This is a Marple book, and a pretty good one, with a nursery rhyme t
Ruby Rose Scarlett
Very good, especially so because it's one of only a handful of Christie books that shows a servant with a life besides serving. More often than not, Christie's servants barely have a name (when it can be remembered), much less a personality fleshed out beyond the stereotypical uneducated emotional girl who either stole something or saw something. I found the end particularly moving in that regard - here and I believe for the first time, the police enters a servant's room to search her belongings ...more
Stacy LeVine
Very compelling story with an unfortunately anticlimactic ending. The nursery rhyme angle is very cool, but the murderer is never confronted at the end, as is usually the case in Christie mysteries. We just find out the person's name and the books ends. Also, Miss Marple hardly appears in the story at all. We don't get to experience her talking to people and figuring things out. We only hear her report her findings after-the-fact. This is the second Christie mystery I've read wherein I felt she ...more
Naura
Jun 05, 2014 Naura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who doesn't want a gruesome,horrible murder story;but does want a murder mystery :P
Perhaps not one of Christie's best but a good one nonetheless!

Unless you're smart enough to observe and note every statement made by the characters in the course of the story, you're unlikely to think any different from what the writer tells you about -who the murderer is,or is most likely to benefit from the murder.

It is a thought, a well-based one, that usually-most often than not, in MOST of Christie's stories,the person that is LEAST suspected,turns out to be the murderer!-precisely what hap
Jessi
Though Miss Marple doesn't appear until over half way through the book, this is one of her stories. The book starts out with a rich description of the office of Rex Fortescue. His secretaries are described in great and painting-like detail. The bumble-headed secretary who probably isn't going to last long. The disapproving head of the secretarial pool. The condescending, cool blonde who is Rex's private secretary and (wrongly) assumed mistress.
Rex comes into the office as per usual. Has his tea,
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Pocket Full of Rye (Miss Marple, #7), original publication year 1953
Characters: Miss Jane Marple, Rex Fortescue, Percival Fortescue, Lancelot Fortescue, Adele Fortescue, Pat Fortescue, Elaine Fortescue, Jennifer Fortescue, Mary Dove, Inspector Neele, Gladys Martin, Vivian Dubois, Ellen Curtis, Miss Ramsbottom, Irene Grosvenor, Gerald Wright, Crump, Sergeant Hay.
Abstract: A handful of grain is found in the pocket of a murdered businessman! Rex Fortescue, king of a financial empire, was sipping
Joel
Feb 04, 2014 Joel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joel by: Seige
Agatha Christie is brilliant. The novel was not at all what I was expecting: I was not necessarily surprised by the mind-blowing plot twists toward the end of the narrative, but by the lack of Miss Marple, who I had assumed was the main character of the book. The fact was that this book didn't really have a main character, a characteristic which I usually think of as a flaw. However, Christie crafted this characteristic into a marvelous work. It was entertaining to see the logical and intelligen ...more
Shelley
I read this in about 40 minutes while being a loner in the library before exams. Overall feeling is that she's done better. I enjoyed the nursery rhyme part, that was good.
Fiona
Really enjoyed my first Agatha Christie. Every few pages I'd start feeling smug and clued up, but when all was revealed, the culprit came as a complete shock. Miss Marple, I am not - but it's surprisingly fun being outsmarted.
Abrar
يفترض ان الشخصية التي تتولى التحقيق في هذه الرواية هي الانسة ماربل العجوز لكن المحقق نيل كان من يتولى زمام الامور في الواقع
كنت اعتقد ان جيب مليء بالحبوب واحدة من روايات اجاثا التي تتولى فيها شخصية خارجية (لا ماربل ولا بوارو) التحقيق ثم تفاجأت بان ماربل تظهر في منتصف القصة
من الصعب تقبل وجود محقق اخر يتوصل الى الحقائق مع العجوز الذكية لو كان المحقق نيل وحده او الانسة ماربل وحدها في هذه الرواية لكانت افضل بكثير

اللغز معقد كعادة الغاز اجاثا ويثير الحيرة بشدة ولكن اعتقد ان الحل في النهاية جاء مفاجئا م
Tony Renner
Agatha Christie's A Pocket Full of Rye (1953) features Miss Marple (though she doesn't make her first appearance until nearly half-way through) in a novel for the sixth time.

As Vanessa Wagstaff and Stephen Poole say in Agatha Christie: A Reader's Companion "[Miss Marple] quickly forges a highly effective partnership with the unusually receptive and astute Inspector Nelle, who later assists Poirot in Third Girl (1966)."

Wagstaff and Poole also call A Pocket Full of Rye "one of Christie's best nove
Rrshively
This book makes it obvious why Agatha Christie remains a highly read mystery writer after all these years. Even though this takes place right after WWII in England with references to affording nylons, etc.,it still is obvious that it is well-written. The solution to the mystery will take most readers by surprise, as well. Mysteries are not profound philosophical tomes, but they do engage the mind and can entertain the reader.
Justine Olawsky
You could almost believe the interjection of Miss Marple into this mystery. Dame Agatha probably did not realize until it was too late how hard it is to have any sort of variety of place and people when your sleuth is supposed to be a retiring spinster of advanced years. She got clever Jane into this one in a nearly plausible way; cheers to Agatha! She gets the coveted 4th star from me for pulling it off.

I also enjoyed the whole nursery rhyme aspect. Sing a song of sixpence and all that. The sto
Michael A
I don't know how many times I can write the same review for a Christie book, but here it goes.

This is standard Marple in every way. Nasty people surrounding a couple of murders primarily for money. Red herrings abound. Another book with a nursery rhyme motif. Twists and turns and new information. Lots of guessing games with the writer as the story progresses about the truth of the real events. A nice, effective puzzle mystery with her assorted dry conversations and dialogs between characters.

So
Pratiksha Das
When businessman Rex Fortescue is found dead, poisoned, Inspector Neele of the Scotland yard takes up the case. What's bizzare is that the deceased had a pocket full of rye.
A series of murders take place in the Fortescue household and it is only after the maid is killed that our adorable detective, Miss Marple, makes her entry. She promptly determines it to be a crime by rhyme because the murders follow a pattern. The pattern of a nursery rhyme:
"Sing a song of sixpence, a pocketful of rye,
Four
Annette Young
This was the first adult book I read as a child and it started a life-long love of Agatha Christie novels. I strongly believe that it was this book that helped me to develop my own passion for writing murder mysteries - it made a huge impression on me.

What I love about this book is its simplicity of style. It's so easy to become hooked on the unfolding plot and to dive effortlessly into the search for clues.

Agatha Christie had a clever way of bringing characters to life and making them seem tota
Jules Goud
Classic Christie.

The only thing that I didn't really like was that Miss Marple is a secondary character. She really only comes into the story a couple times. It is mostly an inspector who is doing the sleuthing and I wish that Christie had more of Miss Marple.

But, it was still good. It seems that this murder is based on a nursery rhyme about blackbirds and the king that eat the blackbird pie or something like that.

I liked the fact that we got a bunch of different perspectives. It allowed us to d
Glglgl
Polizeiinspektor Neel ermittlet in Sachen Giftmord in wohlhabenden Kreisen. Seine Untersuchungen machen gewisse Fortschritte, aber entscheidende Hinweise liefert dann erst Miss Marple, die spät im Roman erscheint und auch nur gelgentlich in Erscheinung tritt. Es ist ein solider klassischer Wer-ist-der-Mörder-Kriminalroman, der dem Leser/der Leserin einige Möglichkeiten zur Spekulation bietet. Gelungen ist die Beschreibung der Verhältnisse im Hause des reichen Unternehmers. Die Beziehungen der Da ...more
Taksya
Come sempre, la cara Agatha bara fin dall'inizio... a meno che, orami consapevoli dei trucchetti usati, non si cerchino informazioni o dettagli mancanti (perché forniti a Miss Marple ma non al lettore) o talmente piccoli da non essere notati in maniera conscia.
Sempre con motivi futili e approfittando dell'ospitalità (che a volte sembra eccessiva) dei suoi compatrioti, Miss Marple si intrufola ovunque, frugando nei pettegolezzi di famiglia e elargendo racconti sulla sua cittadina, in modo da rice
Matteo Pellegrini

Un giorno come tanti nell'ufficio del signor Fortescue. COme sempre la signorina GRasvenor, la segretaria personale del Direttore, alle dieci prepara il tè per il suo datore di lavoro. Ma questa volta accade qualcosa di assolutamente inatteso: subito dopo aver bevuto, il signor Fortescue viene colpito da terribili dolori e muore. Nelle tasche del cadavere, inspiegabilmente, viene ritrovata una manciata di chicchi di segale. Le indagini, subito avviate da Scotland yard, si ocncentrano attorno al

Lauren
Another interesting book by Agatha Christie. Not my favorite, but still a good mystery. A charming Miss Marple story, but it takes a while to include her, using the entire first half of the book as setting up. Too long in my opinion. But Inspector Neele is an interesting character and so the first half is not dull.
Kate  K. F.
A Pocket Full of Rye is Christie at her best, a mystery within a house full of a family that doesn't get along, fleshed out personalities and Miss Marple to make sense of all of it.

The family involved is the Fortesques, father Rex, his second wife Adele, his son Percival, his wife Jennifer, his daughter Elaine and the returning son Lancelot and his wife Pat. They come together when Rex is murdered and a chain of events seem to be calling back to the past but nothing is that simple. When a maid
Agatha Christie L...: June 2015 - A Pocket Full of Rye 1 4 Aug 15, 2014 08:18PM
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Unfinished Portrait: A Novel of Romance and Suspense.
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh, #10)

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Nobody believes in magicians any more, nobody believes that anyone can come along and wave a wand and turn you into a frog. But if you read in the paper that by injecting certain glands scientists can alter your vital tissues and you'll develop froglike characteristics, well, everybody would believe that.” 25 likes
“You think he is marrying her for money?'

'Yes, I do. Don't you think so?'

'I should say quite certainly,' said Miss Marple. 'Like young Ellis who married Marion Bates, the rich ironmonger's daughter. She was a very plain girl and absolutely besotted about him. However, it turned out quite well. People like young Ellis and this Gerald Wright are only really disagreeable when they've married a poor girl for love. They are so annoyed with themselves for doing it that they take it out of the girl. But if they marry a rich girl they continue to respect her.”
5 likes