Start by marking “S/He” as Want to Read:
S/He

S/He

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  792 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Minnie Bruce Pratt expands the boundaries of gender and its theory in these sophisticated lyrical vignettes sited at the crossroads of feminist analysis, queer theory and transgender liberation.
Published February 1st 1995 by Firebrand Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about S/He, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S/He

Anna
This book is somewhere between a memoir, essays, and a love poem for Leslie Feinberg (Pratt's spouse. A male-identified person in a female body, well a bit more complicated than that. And often very complicated when the society and government want to classify one's gender as a tick box in forms and papers).
Thought-provoking and still relatively airy considering the subject.

Gender is definitely something more of a fluid concept than just a m/f tick box in forms. No one's 100 % male, no one 100 %
Rebecca
i've re-read this one several times since the first time more than a decade ago. it always feels like i loved it on a different planet with different air in a different language. i try to visit there every several years.
Caitlin
Anyone who has any interest in gender identity and different expressions of gender should read this. And anyone who has no idea what that really means should also read this. (fyi minnie bruce pratt is les feinberg's partner)
Amelia
I appreciated the premise of this book: lived experiences to prove a theory, or theories.

But I don't think it was executed the way I expected it would be. That's not to say that it was a bad book. It's just that honestly, 1) It struck me as erotica until like, the very end of the book where she starts critiquing the Michigan Women's Music Festival for discriminating against transgendered women. If there had been more of that-- anecdotes that didn't constantly involve her having epic sex with ano
I enjoyed this book much more once I realized that "I" was always Minnie Bruce, "you" was always her spouse, and "she/he" were always other characters.
Sassafras Lowrey
a femme MUST READ! beautiful and raw - we owe so much to Minnie Bruce Pratt
Kathleen
This book was not what I thought that it was going to be. I thought that it was going to be much more focused on explaining Pratt's mental and emotional transition from someone who identified as a lesbian to someone who loves a transman. Instead, it's a lot of description of Pratt and Les Feinberg's sex life. It's well written--broken into short vignettes that aren't presented in chronological order.
I didn't find it particularly useful, but I can imagine it would be pretty eye-opening for some,
Allison
This is one of my very favorite books in the world. Both because Pratt's use of language is often so beautiful (she's a poet, really, so this makes sense) and because every time I go back to it, I find something, usually many things, that resonates with me. That names my experience and tells me that I am not alone. A healing read, for me.

I guess an educational one for some folks, since I'm pretty sure it was on course reading lists at Carleton sometimes, from the number of copies in the GSC libr
Ty
Lucky for my short reading attention span, most chapters are 1-4 pages long. Unfortunately for my interest's sake, I found it dull as shit when I wasn't annoyed by the author's arrogance and hypocrisy.

I did appreciate one portion in which she admitted that she has a hard time with the younger folks who come out at a younger age with fewer fears and reservations. The struggle to appreciate what others consider rebellious vs. nonchalant struck a few chords with me.
Liz
Minnie Bruce Pratt writes an intriguing memoir in which the question of gender and what it means to be male/female, feminine/masculine is addressed. As a book it really works to show the way in which our society is run so harshly by certain identities and expectations that are encompassed within those identities. I think it is an important read that works to pull apart the binaries that often run our lives and lead to many of the problems within our society.
This book was an absolute fucking brilliant little gem. Moving, thoughtful (and thought provoking!), this autobiographical account of Pratt's childhood being raised into the "cult of pure Southern womanhood," and her marriage, eventual coming out as lesbian, and her life there after with a female bodied male-identified partner whom she calls her husband may confuse some readers, but is incredibly brave & heart-warming.
Oliver
I enjoyed reading this, but it seemed much like a love letter written to Leslie Feinberg. I almost felt guilty reading it, since much of it is written in the second person, and the "you" is Leslie. And I would think, I'm not Leslie, and feel bad for a minute like I was reading a love letter meant for someone else. Still, Pratt has some smart ideas, and I liked reading her stories and theories.
Jonah
i dug this book, because of its very short and somewhat scattered chapters which spanned all kinds of time and space, it was easy to pick up and come back to. i think for the most part she leaves the 2nd wave out of her narrative and analysis of trans/gender issues which is rad considering she comes from that era, (also perhaps that les fineberg is her partner..)
Meg
Beautiful book, gorgeous writing (more like prose poems than a narrative memoir), very sexy, interesting meditations on gender roles and sexuality. Took me a long time to read as I really enjoyed it while reading, but didn't feel much drive to pick it up in between times, since there wasn't much of a narrative arc.
Brenna
This writing is so gross. Not poetic at all as I had thought it would be. For one thing, what's up with the constant crude sex scenes involving fists inside mouths? Seriously most of the scenes just consist of erotic forms of swallowing hands like phallic symbols. I'm going to throw up.
Nov 07, 2007 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyohe
Pratt is one of my favorite Authors. I have read this book three times. It is a fascinating look at gender through experiences in Pratt's life. Love it, love it, love it. Her awareness of gender, class, race, sexual orientation, and politics is great and she writes beautifully.
Meen
Jul 09, 2009 Meen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who study/question gender categories
Recommended to Meen by: Karen Cox gave it to me.
This book helped me understand the fluidity of gender more than any I've ever read. No theory or research or academic text has given me more insight than this intimate personal experience. And the copy I have is signed by MBP! (Though addressed to the former owner and not me.)
Carrie
I wanted to like this more but failed to and I don't know if it's because I had certain expectations or this wasn't what I thought it would be like. S/He reads smoothly and it held my interest but something about it didn't click for me.
Diana
Equal parts feminist theory, autobiography, and erotica. A truly fascinating look at the question of sex and gender and the blurred lines between man and woman. Beautiful, poetic writing that reminds me of Jeannette Winterson's.
Anthony Ricardi
I read this when I thought nobody in the world could love my body. Minnie Bruce Pratt is an amazing writer and activist and put into words something that I didn't even know I needed to hear.
HeavyReader
Great essays about gender and other interesting aspects of the life of a woman involved with a transgender person.

Minnie Bruce Pratt is a great author who writes sexy and engaging short pieces.
Cathy Scholtens
Not much here that hasn't already been hashed a hundred times much better by others. I was dissapointed to say the least.
Catherine
unread
Lee Sey
Nov 06, 2012 Lee Sey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
awesome
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • From the Inside Out: Radical Gender Transformation, FTM and Beyond
  • Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender
  • Take Me There: Trans and Genderqueer Erotica
  • Baby Remember My Name: An Anthology of New Queer Girl Writing
  • Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America
Minnie Bruce Pratt (b. September 12, 1946 in Selma, Alabama) is an U.S. educator, activist, and award-winning poet, essayist, and theorist. Pratt was born in Selma, Alabama, grew up in Centreville, Alabama and graduated with an honors B.A. from the University of Alabama (1968) and a Ph.D. in English literature from the University of North Carolina (1979). She is a Professor of Writing and Women’s ...more
More about Minnie Bruce Pratt...
Crime Against Nature: Poetry The Dirt She Ate: Selected And New Poems We Say We Love Each Other: Poetry Rebellion: Essays, 1980-1991 Inside the Money Machine (Poetry Series)