Start by marking “The Coming of the Quantum Cats” as Want to Read:
The Coming of the Quantum Cats

The Coming of the Quantum Cats

A brilliant novel of alternate universes by an award-winning science fiction master
A breakthrough in quantum physics has shattered the boundaries between alternate worlds. History is in chaos as billions of possible futures collide. As a conquering army mounts an invasion of neighboring realities, a handful of men and women from a dozen different timelines risk their liv
Published March 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published May 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Quantum Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Quantum Cats

María Olvera
Decidí leer este libro porque creí que era cómico, luego me di cuenta de que era ciencia ficción y, al parecer, de que Frederik Pohl es un buen escritor. Puede que sea verdad, porque mantuvo a flote el libro.
Cuando comencé a leerlo casi me saco los ojos por el argumento, jamás en mi vida vi que alguien usara con tanta...libertad la "idea" del gato de Schrödinger. No sé cuánto tiempo pensó Pohl en esto, pero por la solidez de su trama me parece que la vio en alguna camiseta y se le ocurrió jugar
Pseudonymous d'Elder
Jul 07, 2013 Pseudonymous d'Elder rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I may have given this book an extra star here because my copy has a personal inscription by Mr. Pohl. In 1986, when the paperback was originally released, he and I were both patrons of the same suburban public library, and after attending a talk he'd given at the library, I got him to sign my copies of The Coming of the Quantum Cats and his novel Gateway. As he was signing my books, I forgot for the moment that I had a degree or two in English Literature, and blurted out that Gateway was my favo ...more
Denis
May 14, 2012 Denis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was - as expected - a confusing novel to read, but fun just the same. It involved a series of characters from parallel universes brought together by way of a technological "porthole" discovery. The same characters from one universe are forced to interact with those from another.

Frederik did his best to keep it together and managed quite well.

Perhaps it was a little short on plot / story but a very good play-with the quantum mechanics idea.

A good read.
David
Aug 15, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story of travel between "timelines" (different versions of the world which diverge from different choices). Some aspects of some variants were not so believable, but the story raises ideas about the possible uses of travel between timelines and possible consequences of opening portals between timelines.
Gloin
Feb 04, 2015 Gloin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenía ganas de leerme un clásico y me dejé llevar por una buena crítica en tercerafundación.net. Bueno, no he perdido el tiempo pero no es una gran maravilla: dos partes de universos paralelos vistos a pequeñísima escala, una de novela romántica políticamente correcta.
Andreas
Sep 16, 2011 Andreas rated it did not like it
Novel with a lot of jumping between timelines. It has aged badly and is probably only enjoyable for the dedicated Pohl fan.

Mark
Mar 12, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
The problem with having written as many great works of science fiction as Frederick Pohl has is that sometimes that opus can overshadow a title or two. While not entirely neglected, this novel is usually not ranked alongside such classics as The Space Merchants, Gateway, and Jem. Perhaps it does not measure up to these works, but it is nonetheless an enormously enjoyable book.

Set in the then-contemporary world of 1983, the novel follows the different incarnations of three characters – Dominic D
Al Tarancón
Sep 03, 2013 Al Tarancón rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Leí este libro hace muchos años, estando en EGB, y fue uno de los primeros libros de ciencia ficción que recuerdo haber leído. Y después de todos estos años, creo que ha sido uno de los que mas me ha marcado.

Creo que fue mi primer contacto real con las historias de dimensiones paralelas, y me engancho totalmente. En el libro vamos saltando en la historia desde el punto de vista de diversos personajes desperdigados por varias realidades alternativas. Lo curioso es que estos personajes eran todos
Mathew Whitney
The Coming of the Quantum Cats is a novel by Frederik Pohl about what happens when people discover how to travel between parallel universes. The story portrays a series of parallel universes in 1983 in which things are different in many ways, sometimes subtle, and occasionally drastic.

The story is told in first person, with one narrator per chapter (narrators are re-used, but the book doesn't switch narrators mid-chapter). Despite the shift in perspective, the story flows easily from one charact
Gaelan D'costa
Feb 13, 2015 Gaelan D'costa rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Tight science fiction, fast-paced. Lean, very little fat.

The author begins by telling you the story of a man in a world that subtly isn't our own, and it is enjoyable to realize that concept as little details are dripped out to you.

The 'concept' driving the store is dealt you you really enjoyably as well, and while I don't know science, I thought it was used effectively.

The characters, in 'classic' scifi tradition, are rather thin. You won't find much there to identify with or enjoy. There's a
Sifra
Dec 24, 2015 Sifra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I was drawn to this book soley for the title.
And the fact that it is written by Fredrik Pohl, of course.
Pohls storytelling is very egaging. He really knows how to keep a story flowing.
His quantum physics explanation cracked me up. The scientist babbled about particles and cats, and the politicians who were his audience reacted very much like I would have. The explanation was not very long, but given the subject, I think that's for the best. So far I have not come across anyone who could explain
Steven
Dec 12, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
The book centers around travel between alternate Earths. The main characters are some of the same people in the different Earths. Overall, I liked it.

I read this sometime when I was between 12-14. The title caught my eye (one of the parental units purchased it). Who doesn't love cats? And when you make them quantum cats, that only makes them more fun. (I may not have known about Schrodinger's Cat when I read it. I know it wasn't what I was thinking about when I read the title.)

I think one of my
Ubikuberalles
Sep 01, 2015 Ubikuberalles rated it it was amazing
Forget the Heechee, screw the Starchild Trilogy. Man Plus? Forget about it. THIS is Pohl's best book by far. This may not be the best alternate world story but it has done a decent job of messing up my head. I can't stop thinking about it even 29 years after I first read it. Pohl covers a number of concepts in this book but the one that stands out is the "Nature vs. Nuture" dbate (Pohl is in favor of Nuture in this novel). He depicts the same characters, genetically, as their counterparts in alt ...more
Bárbara
Apr 12, 2013 Bárbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
El argumento de mundos paralelos me fascina, pero este libro me decepcionó.

Parece que Pohl trató de mezclar novela policíaca, suspenso, sci-fi y novela rosa de un solo golpe y al final no resultó nada bueno. Imagino que Pohl se levantó un día, tomó una novela "Arlequín" y la pegó a un tratado de cuántica.

Hay muchos momentos en los que la narrativa parece perderse y el final es flojo y hasta medio dislocado del resto del libro.

Creo que este libro es como una "b-movie": buena idea, mala ejecución.
Keith Davis
Nov 29, 2009 Keith Davis rated it liked it
Like a cosmic game of musical chairs, the main character moves moves from alternate reality to alternate reality assuming the life of the version of himself in each world. Some of the worlds are horrible, some tolerable, but one is perfect; and as he moves through the realities the other versions of himself march along through the worlds in front and behind him.
Anna
Apr 22, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok
I really like the idea of "The Coming Of The Quantum Cats" (a book about alternate realities/time lines converging, and how different environments and political atmospheres can change who and what a person is and does) but the plot and story were murky and difficult to become engaged and interested in. I much prefer Frederik Pohl's "The Space Merchants."
Nippy Katz
Apr 17, 2015 Nippy Katz rated it it was ok
Below average Pohl, parallel universe adventure. Even bad Pohl has its moments but this story is on the lackluster side. Frequent fliers will recognize some of the characters as Pohl archetypes. The plot never quite comes together although that may be an artifact of the probability vector collapse theme.
Mark
Sep 11, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Pohl is a competent author and had a neat multiverse-style idea for a novel here. It was quite satisfying to follow all the different versions of characters along.

I really liked the binary numbering system he mentions later on.
Jeremy Sovereign
Oct 26, 2012 Jeremy Sovereign rated it really liked it
This book, which explores different dimensions, mostly through the characters' different versions, has a lot of cool ideas, but the story itself is a bit thin. Still, I enjoyed it and the thoughts it brought up in me.
Sam Prus
Jul 25, 2011 Sam Prus rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm pretty sure the writers of Fringe have read this and keep it nearby. A fun Frederick Pohl novel, partially set in Chicago, so that makes it even more enjoyable for us Chicago natives. A good fun adventure with memorable characters.
Feather Mista
Jan 06, 2011 Feather Mista marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pospuestos
Lo tengo bajo el título "La llegada de los gatos cuánticos" de Ediciones B pero por algún motio en Own a copy me sale en inglés. Una novela que me avergüenza tener como "pospuesto".
Andy Janes
Dec 08, 2015 Andy Janes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, science-fiction
Despite being disappointed by the lack of cats, I very much enjoyed this book. Good, old science fiction.
M
Nov 25, 2015 M rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Story about parallel universes set in the 1980s when Reagan was President. Not bad, reads well, some interesting alternate scenarios, but nothing special.
Forn
Jun 09, 2011 Forn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 20 years ago. Back then I really liked it. No idea what I'd think about it today. I've never seen the Stargate series, but I imagine it being a lot like this book.
Rick Hamell
Rick Hamell rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2012
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2011
Marijan
Marijan rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2011
Jørgen
Jørgen rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
John Speelman
John Speelman rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2008
  • October the First Is Too Late
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • The Planet on the Table
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow
  • Highway of Eternity
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Davy
  • The Long Result
  • Dragon Magic (The Magic Series, #4)
  • Braided World
  • Chronospace
  • Fugue For A Darkening Island
  • The Time Hoppers
  • Second Paradigm
  • There Are Doors
  • A Spectre Is Haunting Texas
  • Alternities
  • Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...