The Coming of the Quantum Cats

The Coming of the Quantum Cats

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A breakthrough in quantum physics has shattered the boundaries between alternate worlds. History is in chaos as billions of possible futures collide.

As a conquering army mounts an invasion of neighoboring realities, a handful of men and women from a dozen different timelines risk their lives to safeguard an infinity of worlds.

Blending thrilling suspense with brilliant scie...more
Published March 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Quantum Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Quantum Cats

Fatherland by Robert HarrisWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove
Best Alternate History Novels and Stories
153rd out of 278 books — 556 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
472nd out of 574 books — 258 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Interesting story of travel between "timelines" (different versions of the world which diverge from different choices). Some aspects of some variants were not so believable, but the story raises ideas about the possible uses of travel between timelines and possible consequences of opening portals between timelines.
Andreas
Novel with a lot of jumping between timelines. It has aged badly and is probably only enjoyable for the dedicated Pohl fan.

Al Tarancón
Leí este libro hace muchos años, estando en EGB, y fue uno de los primeros libros de ciencia ficción que recuerdo haber leído. Y después de todos estos años, creo que ha sido uno de los que mas me ha marcado.

Creo que fue mi primer contacto real con las historias de dimensiones paralelas, y me engancho totalmente. En el libro vamos saltando en la historia desde el punto de vista de diversos personajes desperdigados por varias realidades alternativas. Lo curioso es que estos personajes eran todos...more
Steven
The book centers around travel between alternate Earths. The main characters are some of the same people in the different Earths. Overall, I liked it.

I read this sometime when I was between 12-14. The title caught my eye (one of the parental units purchased it). Who doesn't love cats? And when you make them quantum cats, that only makes them more fun. (I may not have known about Schrodinger's Cat when I read it. I know it wasn't what I was thinking about when I read the title.)

I think one of my...more
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Dolaze kvantne mačke
Sara 93 1993

----

Frederik Pohl POHL, FREDERIK (USA) DOLAZE KVANTNE MAČKE Daka (Sara 93) 1, str. 1993

Bárbara
El argumento de mundos paralelos me fascina, pero este libro me decepcionó.

Parece que Pohl trató de mezclar novela policíaca, suspenso, sci-fi y novela rosa de un solo golpe y al final no resultó nada bueno. Imagino que Pohl se levantó un día, tomó una novela "Arlequín" y la pegó a un tratado de cuántica.

Hay muchos momentos en los que la narrativa parece perderse y el final es flojo y hasta medio dislocado del resto del libro.

Creo que este libro es como una "b-movie": buena idea, mala ejecución....more
Denis
This was - as expected - a confusing novel to read, but fun just the same. It involved a series of characters from parallel universes brought together by way of a technological "porthole" discovery. The same characters from one universe are forced to interact with those from another.

Frederik did his best to keep it together and managed quite well.

Perhaps it was a little short on plot / story but a very good play-with the quantum mechanics idea.

A good read.
Keith Davis
Like a cosmic game of musical chairs, the main character moves moves from alternate reality to alternate reality assuming the life of the version of himself in each world. Some of the worlds are horrible, some tolerable, but one is perfect; and as he moves through the realities the other versions of himself march along through the worlds in front and behind him.
Sam Prus
I'm pretty sure the writers of Fringe have read this and keep it nearby. A fun Frederick Pohl novel, partially set in Chicago, so that makes it even more enjoyable for us Chicago natives. A good fun adventure with memorable characters.
Mark
Sep 11, 2013 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Pohl is a competent author and had a neat multiverse-style idea for a novel here. It was quite satisfying to follow all the different versions of characters along.

I really liked the binary numbering system he mentions later on.
Jeremy Sovereign
This book, which explores different dimensions, mostly through the characters' different versions, has a lot of cool ideas, but the story itself is a bit thin. Still, I enjoyed it and the thoughts it brought up in me.
Forn
I read this book about 20 years ago. Back then I really liked it. No idea what I'd think about it today. I've never seen the Stargate series, but I imagine it being a lot like this book.
Federiken Masters
Lo tengo bajo el título "La llegada de los gatos cuánticos" de Ediciones B pero por algún motio en Own a copy me sale en inglés. Una novela que me avergüenza tener como "pospuesto".
John Gribbin
Since I am a character (or two) in this book, I have to give it five stars!
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Mrspercivalbee
Mrspercivalbee marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Ecre
Ecre marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Earl Woods
Earl Woods marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Cathlene Burk
Cathlene Burk marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Dwayne Prophet
Dwayne Prophet marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Vanboto
Vanboto marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Davy
  • Special Deliverance
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Simulacron 3
  • Alternate Generals
  • N-Space
  • Total Eclipse
  • Heart of the Comet
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3) Man Plus