Start by marking “The Coming of the Quantum Cats” as Want to Read:
The Coming of the Quantum Cats

The Coming of the Quantum Cats

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A breakthrough in quantum physics has shattered the boundaries between alternate worlds. History is in chaos as billions of possible futures collide.

As a conquering army mounts an invasion of neighoboring realities, a handful of men and women from a dozen different timelines risk their lives to safeguard an infinity of worlds.

Blending thrilling suspense with brilliant scie
Published March 1st 1995 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of the Quantum Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of the Quantum Cats

Fatherland by Robert   HarrisWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. DickThe Eyre Affair by Jasper FfordeThe Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove
Best Alternate History Novels and Stories
146th out of 329 books — 665 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
486th out of 603 books — 303 voters

More lists with this book...

María Olvera
Decidí leer este libro porque creí que era cómico, luego me di cuenta de que era ciencia ficción y, al parecer, de que Frederik Pohl es un buen escritor. Puede que sea verdad, porque mantuvo a flote el libro.
Cuando comencé a leerlo casi me saco los ojos por el argumento, jamás en mi vida vi que alguien usara con tanta...libertad la "idea" del gato de Schrödinger. No sé cuánto tiempo pensó Pohl en esto, pero por la solidez de su trama me parece que la vio en alguna camiseta y se le ocurrió jugar
Pseudonymous d'Elder
I may have given this book an extra star here because my copy has a personal inscription by Mr. Pohl. In 1986, when the paperback was originally released, he and I were both patrons of the same suburban public library, and after attending a talk he'd given at the library, I got him to sign my copies of The Coming of the Quantum Cats and his novel Gateway. As he was signing my books, I forgot for the moment that I had a degree or two in English Literature, and blurted out that Gateway was my favo ...more
David
Interesting story of travel between "timelines" (different versions of the world which diverge from different choices). Some aspects of some variants were not so believable, but the story raises ideas about the possible uses of travel between timelines and possible consequences of opening portals between timelines.
Otis Campbell
I can stare for a thousand years
Just be still with me
You wouldn't believe what I've been thru
You've been so long
Well, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire
with gasoline
Gloin
Tenía ganas de leerme un clásico y me dejé llevar por una buena crítica en tercerafundación.net. Bueno, no he perdido el tiempo pero no es una gran maravilla: dos partes de universos paralelos vistos a pequeñísima escala, una de novela romántica políticamente correcta.
Andreas
Novel with a lot of jumping between timelines. It has aged badly and is probably only enjoyable for the dedicated Pohl fan.

Gaelan D'costa
Tight science fiction, fast-paced. Lean, very little fat.

The author begins by telling you the story of a man in a world that subtly isn't our own, and it is enjoyable to realize that concept as little details are dripped out to you.

The 'concept' driving the store is dealt you you really enjoyably as well, and while I don't know science, I thought it was used effectively.

The characters, in 'classic' scifi tradition, are rather thin. You won't find much there to identify with or enjoy. There's a
Mark
The problem with having written as many great works of science fiction as Frederick Pohl has is that sometimes that opus can overshadow a title or two. While not entirely neglected, this novel is usually not ranked alongside such classics as The Space Merchants, Gateway, and Jem. Perhaps it does not measure up to these works, but it is nonetheless an enormously enjoyable book.

Set in the then-contemporary world of 1983, the novel follows the different incarnations of three characters – Dominic D
Al Tarancón
Leí este libro hace muchos años, estando en EGB, y fue uno de los primeros libros de ciencia ficción que recuerdo haber leído. Y después de todos estos años, creo que ha sido uno de los que mas me ha marcado.

Creo que fue mi primer contacto real con las historias de dimensiones paralelas, y me engancho totalmente. En el libro vamos saltando en la historia desde el punto de vista de diversos personajes desperdigados por varias realidades alternativas. Lo curioso es que estos personajes eran todos
Steven
The book centers around travel between alternate Earths. The main characters are some of the same people in the different Earths. Overall, I liked it.

I read this sometime when I was between 12-14. The title caught my eye (one of the parental units purchased it). Who doesn't love cats? And when you make them quantum cats, that only makes them more fun. (I may not have known about Schrodinger's Cat when I read it. I know it wasn't what I was thinking about when I read the title.)

I think one of my
Nippy Katz
Below average Pohl, parallel universe adventure. Even bad Pohl has its moments but this story is on the lackluster side. Frequent fliers will recognize some of the characters as Pohl archetypes. The plot never quite comes together although that may be an artifact of the probability vector collapse theme.
Bárbara
El argumento de mundos paralelos me fascina, pero este libro me decepcionó.

Parece que Pohl trató de mezclar novela policíaca, suspenso, sci-fi y novela rosa de un solo golpe y al final no resultó nada bueno. Imagino que Pohl se levantó un día, tomó una novela "Arlequín" y la pegó a un tratado de cuántica.

Hay muchos momentos en los que la narrativa parece perderse y el final es flojo y hasta medio dislocado del resto del libro.

Creo que este libro es como una "b-movie": buena idea, mala ejecución.
Dony Grayman
Nov 30, 2014 Dony Grayman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, ed-esp, fegrande
Libro amigo ciencia ficción #29,
Denis
This was - as expected - a confusing novel to read, but fun just the same. It involved a series of characters from parallel universes brought together by way of a technological "porthole" discovery. The same characters from one universe are forced to interact with those from another.

Frederik did his best to keep it together and managed quite well.

Perhaps it was a little short on plot / story but a very good play-with the quantum mechanics idea.

A good read.
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Dolaze kvantne mačke
Sara 93 1993

----

Frederik Pohl POHL, FREDERIK (USA) DOLAZE KVANTNE MAČKE Daka (Sara 93) 1, str. 1993

Keith Davis
Like a cosmic game of musical chairs, the main character moves moves from alternate reality to alternate reality assuming the life of the version of himself in each world. Some of the worlds are horrible, some tolerable, but one is perfect; and as he moves through the realities the other versions of himself march along through the worlds in front and behind him.
Sam Prus
I'm pretty sure the writers of Fringe have read this and keep it nearby. A fun Frederick Pohl novel, partially set in Chicago, so that makes it even more enjoyable for us Chicago natives. A good fun adventure with memorable characters.
Mark
Sep 11, 2013 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Pohl is a competent author and had a neat multiverse-style idea for a novel here. It was quite satisfying to follow all the different versions of characters along.

I really liked the binary numbering system he mentions later on.
Jeremy Sovereign
This book, which explores different dimensions, mostly through the characters' different versions, has a lot of cool ideas, but the story itself is a bit thin. Still, I enjoyed it and the thoughts it brought up in me.
Forn
I read this book about 20 years ago. Back then I really liked it. No idea what I'd think about it today. I've never seen the Stargate series, but I imagine it being a lot like this book.
Federiken Masters
Lo tengo bajo el título "La llegada de los gatos cuánticos" de Ediciones B pero por algún motio en Own a copy me sale en inglés. Una novela que me avergüenza tener como "pospuesto".
John Gribbin
Since I am a character (or two) in this book, I have to give it five stars!
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Spencer McMillan
Spencer McMillan marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Kara "Sky"
Kara "Sky" marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mr_Drone
Mr_Drone marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • The Planet On The Table
  • The Long Result
  • Davy
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Monument
  • Project Pendulum
  • Alternities
  • Chronospace
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Braided World
  • Second Paradigm
  • Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)
  • Orbitsville Departure
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)