Start by marking “A Nearly Normal Life” as Want to Read:
A Nearly Normal Life

A Nearly Normal Life

As a fourteen-year-old boy from a small Midwestern town, Charles Mee believed in God, family, and his future, which, at the very least, included girls and a long spell as a hometown football hero. But when he collapsed one night at a school dance, his dreams began to vanish. In a narrative at once funny and profound, Mee brilliantly captures the era in which polio, not com ...more
Published February 9th 2000 by Back Bay Books (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Nearly Normal Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Nearly Normal Life

Mars Prokop
May 09, 2011 Mars Prokop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Mee offers a compelling look at the plague of the 1950s- polio- while discussing Americana, communism, popularity and other social graces and foibles.

Although today's literary market is glutted with memoir, Mee's book stands out because his hopefulness is laced with cynism, and the life and recovery he depicts don't beg pity. He wrote, he said, simply to seek understanding and discovery. The memoirs I like to read these days offer a similar juxtaposition of horror and relief, comedy and
Diana
Jul 30, 2009 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about the author's life after being struck by a debilitating case of polio at the age of 14. Some passages are moving, but it is not consistently engaging. I did learn a good deal about polio from reading the book.
Miss Karen Jean Martinson
I love Chuck Mee! I love Chuck Mee!

I'm working on a production of BIG LOVE right now, so I figured that reading about his life sort of counted as research, although really I just wanted to read about his life (because I don't think that knowing everything about a playwright is necessary when staging the play, even if understanding Mee's sensibility is very helpful).

I just love the way he writes - plays and memoirs both. His descriptions of polio are so descriptive, I felt like I got a true sens
Dennis Gillingham
Feb 20, 2014 Dennis Gillingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an emotional read for me and brought back many painful memories that I had no idea existed. It also reminded me of the efforts by my parents to make my world as normal as possible, I am so happy I read this book as a survivor of polio, but do not know how the general public will like or not like the effort.
Anne Samachson
Until his 14th summer, Charles Mee's world seemed safe and unshakable --- secure in a small Midwestern town, surrounded by a loving family, winning praise for his athletic prowess and on the verge of getting his first kiss. And then, suddenly, everything changed. Mee's exposure to the polio virus didn't just infect him --- it profoundly altered his reality, forever changing his perceptions of himself, his family and the way the world works. In this beautiful, heartbreaking tale, Mee poignantly r ...more
I wanted more from this. The parts that were good were very good--the events in the hospital shortly after his polio diagnosis were very vivid and well-told, and I liked the context provided. I think the problem was, he doesn't remember enough details from the rest of his teenage experience, and he didn't want to pull a James Frey and fictionalize it. I felt I was left with an incomplete picture as a result. Strange to say, fictionalizing the story may have made it more real.
Allegra
This book is worth reading if you are familiar with Chuck Mee and his work. I could not imagine it would be an entertaining read for someone who is not a Chuck Mee fan.

However, it also contains a lot of interesting information about polio and valuable highlights from the work of other researchers, philosophers, and writers.
cassie
Dec 19, 2009 cassie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-book-club
I think this book has good intentions, but it would rather bore you with its incessant rattling of Polio trivia and 1950s nostalgia. If Mee had stuck with a singular focus of his book, it would have been more engaging. Instead, it is schizophrenic and surprisingly surface-level. Advice: skip it and Google polio.
Annabelle
May 08, 2016 Annabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An unexpected gem. I couldn't put it down!
Marti
Passed on to me by Mom.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Shanna_redwind
Shanna_redwind marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Maria Fahlsing
Maria Fahlsing marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Apex157x
Apex157x marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Abina Moh
Abina Moh marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Joe Basile
Joe Basile rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
EYOB
EYOB marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Fatty Hoe
Fatty Hoe marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
ShanLandis
ShanLandis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Jamal
Jamal is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Dara S.
Dara S. marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A NEARLY NORMAL LIFE by Charles Mee - Online Discussion Forum 1 3 May 14, 2012 08:12AM