Start by marking “Black Coffee (Poirot)” as Want to Read:
Black Coffee (Poirot)

Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot Series #7)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  5,247 ratings  ·  296 reviews
«Черный кофе» – роман, написанный Чарльзом Осборном по мотивам одноименной пьесы Агаты Кристи. Впервые пьеса появилась на театральных подмостках в 1930 году. К Пуаро обращается за помощью знаменитый физик сэр Клод Эмори. Однако увидеться с ним Пуаро и Гастингс не успевают – ученый отравлен. При этом исчезла открытая им формула сверхмощного взрывчатого вещества......
208 pages
Published 2002 (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Black Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Coffee

A~lotus
Jun 16, 2012 A~lotus rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to A~lotus by: No one
John Carter
“The first Poirot novel in twenty years” says the blurb. Except it isn’t twenty years, since Christie’s contribution was done in 1930; and it isn’t a novel, it’s a novelisation. And it’s a novelisation done by someone without the courage (and perhaps the talent) to make changes to the play. When Christie turned The Hollow into a play she kicked Poirot out of it altogether because it made a better play. I’m not suggesting that Osborne should have removed Poirot, but he should have managed somehow ...more
Barbara
For an avid Agatha Christie fan, I remember being so excited--a "new" book!

And then I read it. It was based on a play Christie wrote--an early play. Too many elements reminded me of other, better novels (actually written by Dame Agatha Christie herself). There were no surprises, no Christie prose; Poirot didn't sound or act like *my* Poirot, and Hastings wasn't Hastings. The language was terribly forced; putting stage directions into a paragraph does not a novel make.

Don't care if Osborne is an
Anushka
Ruth
This is a novelization of a play by Agatha Christie. The adapter, however, is not Agatha Christie and does not have her skills. The writing is clunky at best and the characters are stereotypes through and through. It's a testament to Christie's original plot though that this is essentially enjoyable if taken on its own terms as a simple, conventional English-country-house mystery.
Mary
Nov 08, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Belgian private detective Hercule Poirot and his friend and detecting partner Captain Arthur Hastings receive an urgent call for help from renowned physicist Sir Claud Amory. Sir Claud is absolutely convinced that a member of his own household is attempting to steal a secret formula created by Sir Claud, and destined for use by the Ministry of Defense. Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings travel to Sir Claud's sprawling mansion, only to discover that the famed physicist has been poisoned by his a ...more
Annie
This was kind of disappointing in that it was a novelization of one of AC's plays rather than a novel that she wrote (which I didn't realize until I had already gotten the book from the library. Also I accidentally got the large print version which was rather annoying and I could have read it from 3 room away, but that was no one's fault but my own). The story was decent, but as someone who has read a bunch of her books, I could tell it wasn't written by her. Most, if not all, of the books that ...more
Monique
Well I should definitely start a straight Queen Agatha shelf on here as she is definitely one of my favorites and I always know on a library crawl that ANY one of her books will be concise, entertaining and a three star read or better, this one was no exception..With the detective stylings of the incomparable Hercule Poirot and his sidekick Hastings this mystery involves what Agatha does best, introducing you to all the suspects then placing them in a situation where they are all suspects with a ...more
Aimee
Agatha Christie did not write this book. She wrote it as a play and then 68 years later Charles Osborne, the foremost and in my opinion a very poor Christie 'expert', came along and turned it into this godawful mess of a novel. For someone who is supposed to be a Christie aficionado, he clearly has little to no knowledge of the basics of Christie's characters and their personal idiosyncrasies.

For example, at a key part of the story, Hercule Poirot's sidekick Captain Arthur Hastings eavesdrops o
Riccardo
A very different type of Hercule Poirot book.

The murder is this time narrated in third person and, rather than us arriving with Poirot and Hasting as per usual, we actually witness the murder as it happens.
But that doesn't mean that it is clear who the murderer is!

A fine mystery, with a rather cosy and mysterious atmosphere; yet the plot in itself was a little easier to disentangle.
Amber
Within the first several pages, I recognized a difference in style from the other Agatha Christie books I have read: namely, after several pages, I was not yet engrossed in the story. A closer look at the title page gave me my answer. This is not an Agatha Christie novel. It is an Agatha Christie play that has been adapted into a novel. Personally, I would much rather read it as a play. As it is, in many places it reads almost as stage directions, so clearly that I found it painfully awkward.

The
Angela
The novel Black Coffee is an adaptation of the play Black Coffee written by Agatha Christie. I'd highly recommend first time readers of Mrs. Christie not pick this one up first. And that's what I've got to say about that.
Kelsey
Don't get me wrong, I love Agatha Christie novels. I enjoy Hercule Poirot books especially.

THIS BOOK WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE A NOVEL.

It was written as a play, and reads more like a play than a classical Christie novel. The dialogue is lacking and description is less rich- obviously the actors are supposed to bring life to the emotions rather than having a clear picture in our minds as most of Agatha Christie's novels inspire one to imagine. This book was published after Christie's death with an e
brian dean
Another one I have trouble justifying the number of stars I gave it. The plot devices and tropes probably weren't cliche' when the story was written.

Still, this was a simple book that in another's hands would not be merely so simple. The key points and plot requirements are effortlessly set up so the murderer (somewhat of a surprise) could be caught.

The one problem with the shortness of the book is that the murderer's backstory was not filled in enough. I read the book quickly but not quickly en
Jules Goud
First off, I would just like to say that this novel is a little bit different from Christie's other novels. It was written as a play and then Charles Osborne made it into a novel so there were some differences.

I was getting the play vibe from this novel. The setting was pretty much in one room in the house so as I was reading "Black Coffee", I was picturing a stage with the room and where all of the characters would come off and on.

Because Osborne adapted this as a novel, his interpretations of
Amanda Marshall
I hate to give a Christie book only two stars but I didn't particularily enjoy this book. I believe it was because this was originally written as a play which means there is only one room involved & its overall rather simpilistic. The ending was rather mellowdramtic and almost like a cheesy comedy (I kept thinking of scenes from "The Princess Bride"). On a good note, as always I can appreciate Christie's clean, crisp writing & the ever intelligant Poirot.
Astraia
I am sure that this was a New York Times bestseller because the publisher knew that another Hercule Poirot novel would have huge sales. What a disappointment. The novel was written by Charles Osborne (adapted from a play by Agatha Christie) and he clearly does not get the elegance or wit of Hercule Poirot. If you like Hercule Poirot you will not like this.
Donna
This was actually a novelization of one of Christie's plays, written by her biographer, Charles Osborne. It was quite short, 4.5 hours in audiobook form. It had all the bones of a great Christie story but lacked a lot of the depth. Good for a quick taste of Poirot though, and I can never get enough of the little Belgian.

Well narrated by John Moffatt.
Saniya Huseini
Mary Ann
Black Coffee is a bit of an anomaly in the Christie oeuvre, as it was written by Dame Agatha as a play and only novelized in the 1990s with the blessing of the Christie estate.

Poirot and Hastings rush to a wealthy scientist's home only to discover that they've arrived too late. Sir Claud is dead, paperwork regarding his latest multi-million-pound invention has gone missing--and someone in the house is to blame.

It's early in the Poirot-verse, so the Mysterious Affair at Styles is still fresh on
Asma
Another suspenseful mystery of Agatha Christie's that I must've overlooked.

As a diehard Agatha Christie fan and someone who grew up reading her novels, calling myself a biased witness of her work is a grave understatement. So naturally I was inclined to like it. It being one of Hercule Poirot's sealed the deal. Seeing him prance around egg-head and perfectly waxed mustache. Him exclaiming in wonder, in foreign tongue, that he's got it sure brings back a lot of fond memories.

This one is truly a
Ines
This book was not written by Agatha Christie, it is a novelized version of the play of the same name that she wrote. This matters because the book does not read as a conventional Agatha Christie novel. The story takes place in the house of a famous physicist, Sir Claud Amory, who asks Poirot to help him because he thinks someone in his household will betray him.

I enjoyed the book but I read it as a play, and not as a crime fiction novel. Although I am sure this works much better watching it as a
Becky
Delightful! I've always enjoyed Sherlock Holmes, but find Monsieur Poirot's courteous foreign speech coupled with his brilliantly acute "little grey cells" makes his adventures delightful as well as impressive, and give him an even greater appeal than the rather detached precision of Baker Street's detective.

Why did I not know about these before?! *Prepares to systematically check out every Poirot adventure she can find*

Oh, and my sincerest apologies, Madame Christie, for up until about two yea
Selena Defraises
What did I think?? Well, even though the book was not technically written by Christie, it is certain that I loved it. Agatha Christie wrote Black Coffee as a play and Charles Osborne did the novelisation. I really enjoyed the comedic relief moments especially between Hastings and Poirot with the addition of Japp(the dream team is back together woo hoo!) and the plot was definitely intriguing. I would really love to watch the actual play but only if the great David Suchet played the Belgian detec ...more
Mimi
This book is like a new Agatha Christie, which is good. Christie wrote "Black Coffee" as a play but it was novelised recently by Charles Osborne. He delivers Hercule Poirot as authentically as Christie herself with all his "little gray cells" in tact. Poirot is asked to come to the home of a noted scientist of the day who says he has a formula he wants Poirot to deliver to the government. The scientist is found dead minutes before Poirot arrives with his family and friends looking on. It's a bit ...more
Annie Tran
comparing to the other Agatha Christie play-adapted novel namely "Unexpected Guest", this was clearly lack of suspense. The murder was too obviously suggested right from he start, as in he should be either Richard, Lucia or Reynor. The twisting identity of Lucia does not help much in adding any more thrill to the plot. I couldnt even bother to utter an "wow" in the end. The "play" closed down with a somewhat clumsy romance between the 2 suspects, and also between Hastings and Barbara... i mean w ...more
Lavinia
Meh. (I'm obviously not a Christie aficionado, otherwise I would have known Black Coffee was originally a play.)
J.S. Bailey
This book was okay. I just wish that Christie's characters had more in the way of personalities.
Alicia
I did not realize this was is a novelization of one of Agatha Christie's plays when i started reading it. It was only after i read several pages that i realized something was amiss so went online to see what the deal with this book was and found out its history.
I think it would have been better left in it's original format. The adaption to novel did not translate for me. It had none of the flair and finesse of Christie and it was stilted and forced in places. Hastings didn't feel like Hastings a
Kinza Sheikh
A much anticipated novel while picking up. Since it was written by "the Agatha Christie".
But to be honest, I didn't enjoyed it much. True, the setting was nice. Hook was well planted. And at the end, the bad guy was a little unpredictable.
But I didn't enjoyed the voice. Which, from this book I understood, is one of the core of a novel. And there were questions left unanswered. Who is exactly Dr.Carelli? Why was Miss Amory acting so mysteriously?
A book with mix of good and bad points. Which mak
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover
  • A Right to Die (Nero Wolfe, #40)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“Poirot thought it not quite professional to begin a routine working day before ten.” 6 likes
“the truth is never horrible, only interesting.” 1 likes