Pookie

Pookie (Pookie #1)

4.63 of 5 stars 4.63  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Pookie, the little white rabbit with wings, first published in 1945 is a classic, endearing character and HarperCollins is delighted to be bringing him to their list. In this first adventure Pookie is sad because he has two flimsy little wings which make him different from all the other rabbits. He decides to set out to find his fortune but he has many cold, lonely days ah...more
Published by Collins (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Pookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pookie

Kathryn
"This is the story of Pookie, a little white rabbit with soft floppity ears, big blue eyes and the most lovable smile in the world. He lived with his mother and father and four brothers and three sisters, deep down in the warm, brown earth under an oak tree in Bluebell Wood."

Sometimes, I come across a book that I know I would have just *adored* as a child and it captures my fancies and takes me back to the days when fairies played in our yard and magic whispered in the wind. "Pookie" by Ivy Wall...more
Barbara Kallaur
This book was not published in the US, and then for a brief time it became available from Collins. It is one of my most cherished childhood books, and I have been collecting them over the past 2 decades. However, collectors have become aware of them and some of the prices are through the roof--upwards of $800!

I wish Collins would republish. There are lots of grown-up Pookie lovers out there, and lots of kids who have never met this resilient white rabbit with a Secret Sorrow--his wings!
Becky
My most beloved story of childhood about a rabbit who is born with wings... The illustrations are magical...
Iona

I'm so excited. I adored this story as a little child, and fell in love with Pookie's pictures and his courageous little heart. My copy got lost on the way and I never got round to finding another as it was out of print. So I was never able to share Pookie's story with my gorgeous gal when she was growing up. I now find the book has been reissued....and, indeed, there are several more Pookie stories. Happily I have bought a copy, and happily I will share his tale with my grandchild if they let m...more
Joan
Read this as a child, then lost the books at some stage. My daughter bought it for me when they were reprinted. A book to treasure. Beautiful illustrations, from when childhood was innocent.
Sally
Pookie & Belinda = OTP. Also, the chapter where Belinda put a pretty scarf around her hair so that she could do the spring cleaning totally made ME want to go and do the same. My mother did not complain ;)
Carol
I can't say how many times I've read this book. And every time I do, I cry. It's such a wonderful story about acceptance of who we are.

I look forward to sharing this with my grandchild(ren).
Jen
This book is no longer in print. It was one of my most beloved childhood books and I have loved sharing it with my son.
Donna Guilbault
also read and loved all the Pookie books as a child..found a couple in a used book sale..felt I had struck gold!!!
Cherish
My absolute favourite childhood story :)
Irene Palfy
so cute.. and those names are lovely..
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Manzana
Manzana marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tristen
Tristen marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Arif Khan Nabil
Arif Khan Nabil marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Keryn Barnes
Keryn Barnes marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Pookie Puts the World Right Pookie and the Gypsies Pookie in Wonderland Pookie at the Seaside Pookie Believes in Santa Claus