The Art of Teaching Writing

The Art of Teaching Writing

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When Lucy Calkins wrote the first edition of "The Art of Teaching Writing," the writing workshop was a fledgling idea, piloted by a few brave innovators. Now, as she brings us this new edition, the writing workshop is at the foundation of language arts education throughout the English-speaking world. This new edition, then, could easily have been a restatement, in grander,...more
Published March 7th 1994 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published November 21st 1985)

danielle
So here's the thing: Lucy (a fellow Williams grad) is awesome, she's obviously a great, groundbreaking educator.

The problem? She, like so many of her ilk, live in this hippy lala dreamland where schools are run like amazing little thought factories and principals are happy when you report that your students make growth because they say that they are authors. And when children are exposed in their homes to so many new and different adventures that their imaginations work overtime and their writi...more
Cherylann
Published in 1986, Calkins' text on writing/writers workshop became a seminal text for teachers. And then almost 10 years ago, NCLB was enacted, and writers workshop became a quaint teaching strategy that had no relevance in the world of high stakes testing. IMHO Calkins and Atwell should be required reading for all preservice teachers. Calkins' text is just as fresh 25 years after its original publication as it was when it was first published. Reading The Art of Teaching Writing, I was reminded...more
Savannah Weaver
Took me three months to read it, but I finally did. The last chapter made me cry. How often can you say that of a textbook? I love you Lucy!
Marcy
I remember reading Lucy's very first book when I first started teaching. She taught me how to teach writing to children. Her stragegies became ingrained in me. They made a difference in my teaching, and in my students' writing across the curriculum. This new edition has the depth and breadth of the variety of writing children can do across the curriculum. Children think as they read, and can record their thinking in writing. They use prior knowledge, and begin to construct knowledge in their wri...more
Kari
I gave this 5 stars because of the amount I can see myself using it. What an amazing book about reading and what it is and should be for kids. Going into student teaching in the fall I feel better equipped to converse with my soon to be second graders about books, what they have to offer, what they can help us to see and learn, how to explore them and so much more. On tap next is her book The Art of Teaching Writing which I am sure will offer equally as much insight. I would recommend this to an...more
Monica
I reread Lucy's book every year!
Lisa
Terribly written, not an easy read.
Sheila Callahan
I made it to page 440 of The Art of Teaching Writing. The only reason I didn't finish is because the library needed their edition back. Some day I hope to get through the last 100 pages. Lucy Calkins' work is clearly ground-breaking. Some day I'd like to own this text, not to mention put what she's written to work in my classroom. I highly recommend this to anyone who teaches *any* subject.
Margaret Grabowski
I'm finally beginning to understand what reading-writing connections really are! Lucy Calkins has inspired me to reinvision my classroom goals and curriculum and to integrate a lot more writing into my Reading Workshop this year. The rush of idealism I'm feeling now has inspired me to go back and finish "The Art of Teaching Reading."
Jen
This book has very sound philosophy in teaching writing and teaching in general, but really did not provide me with enough practical stuff that I could implement in my classroom right away. I thought it was mostly discussion of what should be done and not enough of here's how you do it. That's really what I look for in education books.
I read this while I was in high school and my parents were taking teaching credentialing classes. Until I read this book, I hated writing. After I read it, I filled notebook after notebook with writing and learned to love school essays. Yes, it is a book for teachers, but Calkins made me feel how exciting writing can be.
Jenna
This book is what I based my Language Arts/Writing program on. Lucy Calkins has a great way of writing so that the book doesn't seem like a textbook. She has innovative ideas that reach the new form of teaching and assessment through reaching each child's needs and adapting to them.
Jason
The primary text for my RDG 3320 Integrating Reading and Writing class. I used it when I taught the class a year ago and it's a dense but thoroughly useful text that covers strategies across grade levels and content areas. A MUST have in the professional library of ANY educator!
Jenni Pertuset
Mar 01, 2009 Jenni Pertuset marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
why: Loved Raising Lifelong Learners, mentioned by Kristyna as an inspiration for teaching science by folks at the Attic school.
What an awesome explanation of readers/writers workshops in elementary school! Suggestions for implementation, descriptions of real classrooms, and breaking down what workshop looks like in primary grades. Definitely going to buy myself a copy of this one!
Bethany
I went through 4 highlighters. Very informative. Ironically, there were many errors in spelling and grammar. Oh well, that speaks more to the editing than it does to the author. It's an excellent books for any teacher who teaches reading at any level.
Alyson Whatcott
This is a wonderful book about teaching writing. It is long but very readable and inspiring. It is very theoretical--so a good one to read in the summer, when it isn't so obvious that your teaching doesn't match up to the ideal (!)
Jayne
This is the best single source for assisting teachers and parents as they guide children in the wring process. The suggestions are practical and exemplary. I give a copy of this book to all of my student teachers.
Lynn
Appreciate the honest thoughts of Lucy Calkins in terms of her own experience wrt teaching writing. She provides insights on the developmental stages of children's writing which is really helpful to educators.
Barri Bumgarner
Must read for ALL teachers who expect their students to read...no matter the content area. Language arts teachers are not the only ones who should be responsible for students being able to read across the content areas!
Alexandra
This is a good introduction to how to teach writing. A lot of theory behind the practice is presented. This is not as helpful in showing real classroom examples of writing instruction.
Colleen
Lucy Calkins wrote the Bible of teaching writing. Now that I've been teaching writer's workshop for a few months, I can see how her ideas grew from the way young children learn.
Sobarow
A little wordy at times...but well worth the read! Fantastic background and rationale for a workshop approach! Must read for reading teachers!
Czarina
Apr 24, 2008 Czarina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Czarina by: My husband
Shelves: education
This book is outstanding. It thoroughly explains how a child learns to read and what a good teacher needs to do to help their child learn to read.
J
Dated but nonetheless relevant. Her passion for teaching is evident, but the book id pricey. Borrow it, dont buy it.
Missy
LOVE IT! Practical and full of wonderful ideas to teach writing. Every teacher should have this on their shelf.
Shannon
I started this on 08/27, but it is so good already! Great ideas that apply immediately to the classroom.
Christina
This book changed the way I teach. It is incredible.
Wendy Fontenot
Good information. I really like the chapter on poetry.
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Craft Lessons
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Reading with Meaning
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • The Daily Five
Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide Units Of Study For Primary Writing: A Yearlong Curriculum One to One: The Art of Conferring with Young Writers Small Moments: Personal Narrative Writing / Lucy Calkins and Abby Oxenhorn