The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings (The Dark Horse Book of..., #1)

The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings (The Dark Horse Book of ... #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Dark Horse's horror line launches its new prestige format with this hardcover book filled with original short stories by some of the most respected names in comics.
The longest story in The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings is also Mike Mignola's only new Hellboy adventure in 2003! Come along as Hellboy investigates a haunted house and discovers his own unexpected connection to...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 96 pages
Published August 27th 2003 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamBone by Jeff Smith
Eisner Award Winners
47th out of 117 books — 74 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Sandman, Vol. 4 by Neil GaimanSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanMaus, I by Art Spiegelman
Greatest Graphic Novels
195th out of 251 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Another library find that works very well for October Scare Fest reading. Probably my most favorite type of horror/scary story is ghost stories. Even though ghost stories have been around, well, forever, they have the potential to be very diverse. And I feel that each one can feel different. I haven't read very many graphic novel-format ghost stories, so this was a new one for me. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think that the authors successfully plumbed the deep wa...more
David
Almost every single story in this book was as amazing and fantastic as I expected it to be... various stories on ghosts and hauntings of sorts... but I wish, oh how I wish, they would stop putting those lengthy 'real life' interviews into them. If I want to read a real life interview with a medium, I'll find one myself. Really, guys... please?

The best in this one, if you ask me, anyway, is "Stray"... I love that story. Amazing, and I loved that it was the last tale too, because it felt like clos...more
Sam Quixote
The book is an anthology of short comics based on the theme of haunted houses. It’s quite short at 92 pages especially given that most of the work included is comics and as such are quick to read. It’s also just ok to read with about half the strips being interesting, the other half just dull, and a prose story that’ sub par although Gary Gianni’s artwork is amazing. There’s also a 10 page interview with a psychic and if you’re like me then you’ll roll your eyes at that one. Anyone who claims to...more
Matti Karjalainen
Seitsemästä lyhyestä sarjakuvanovellista ja muusta kummitteluun liittyvästä aineistosta koottu "The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings" (Dark Horse Comics, 2003) oli lukukokemuksena ristiriitainen.

Sarjakuvien joukossa on pari hutia, mutta etupäässä tarinat ovat ihan onnistuneita. Mike Richardsonin ja P.Craig Russellin "Gone"" on varsin hyytävä aloitus kokoelmalle. Mike Mignolan "Dr. Carp's Experiment" osoittautuu perusvarmaksi Hellboy-lyhäriksi. Riman ylittää myös Randy Stradleyn ja Paul Chadwickin su...more
Susan Rose
This is an anthology of short stories by major names in the comic industry, all on the theme of hauntings and ghosts. Most of these stories are presented in graphic novel/comic format but also there are some stories simply presented as short stories.

(Also for any fans of the Hellboy series there is a Hellboy short story from Mike Magnola).

Each of the stories are presented in a different style both in terms of writing and illustration. The short nature of these isolated stories make this a very...more
Chris
I've recently become obsessed with Mike Mignola's Hellboy of comic books and am buying anything with a Hellboy story in it, including this. This svelte hardcover (only 92 pages!) collection of visually beautiful graphic storytelling comes off as a pleasant lunchtime diversion, because I had it my office, or something you read to your kids at bedtime because they've been naughty and you want to scare the bejeezus out of them.

The highest recommendations are for the single text short story (Percev...more
Nick
This collection of horror stories, mostly told in graphic form, was good but not exceptional. Mike Richardson, the head of Dark Horse, contributed a nice little opening piece called "Gone" that was beautifully illustrated by P. Craig Russell. The ending piece, "Stray" by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson, was also well above average, and a delightful twist on the standard ghost story.
Unfortunately, there was quite a drop-off in the middle. Nothing horrible, but nothing memorable, including the text...more
myswtghst
Gave it three stars to start, but added another star just for the last story (Stray) which was great.
Kristen Northrup
I didn't pick up this series when it first started coming out because it sounded creepier than I care for. But one of the stories is now an ongoing series (Beasts of Burden) that makes regular reference to their past adventures, so I ordered it up from the library. Very quick read and not so creepy/gory after all. Many of the stories were too short to have much impact, but the Hellboy one was excellent. The binding is gorgeous; it justifies the cost increase over a standard trade paperback.
Javier Alaniz
A good little volume of well illustrated ghost stories, all of which are appropriate for young readers. Everything Mike Mignola does with Hellboy is always great, and Paul Chadwick and P. Craig Russell each turn in creepy tales of a boy riding on his bike that gets into something otherworldly and scary. This is the kind of book you'd expect to find being read by an 8 year old under the covers with a flashlight. Despite the all-ages accessibility it's a fun read for adults as well.
A good collection of short horror stories, great for fans off horror comics or people just looking to round out a graphic novel collection. I was impressed by the art detail and by the eclectic collection. The interview with the Medium was really interesting and not what you expect to find in something like this. Kudos to Scott Allie for thinking outside the box.
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
A great series with a nice selection of stories. I liked Scott Allie's introductions which perfectly leads you into the books in this series. My favourite stories in this book consists of the Hellboy story, 'Dr. Carp's excitement' and the Beasts of Burden story, 'Stray'. The story, 'This Small Favor' was also a particular story that I really enjoyed.
Robert
Enjoyable read, if mostly forgettable. Forever by Uli Oesterle and Stray by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson were my two favourites. Because of these shorts, I'll be looking out for more "Beast of Burden" comics as well as more work by Uli Oesterle.
Will
As a series, I loved these. Yet no individual title stands out in my memory as exceptional, and each was a mix of sterling and forgettable material — though I'm sure others forgot different parts than I did. Anyway: each is worth having.
HeavyReader
Not very scary, but the art is nice.

I got this from Vanessa when she was moving a few years ago. It may have belonged to her housemate who was also moving and had also put a bunch of stuff in the give away pile.
Jamie Rosen
I actually enjoyed the comics in this quite a bit, but the multi-page interview with a "real life" spiritualist/medium was boring as all get out, and enough to knock a star off of my rating here.
Earline
there's a haunted house/ghost story in here for everyone. I especially enjoyed the first story "Gone" and was surprised to find that the artist is a University of Cincinnati graduate!
Jason
Wonderful! The whole series is wonderful! I wish we had the Book of the Dead at my library system, too, but it looks like it's out of print (and $18 for a used copy on Amazon!)
Ben
Only one piece by Mike Mignola and the others were average. Not as awesome as I had hoped.
Courtney
some of the stories are great, some are just OK. lovely little hellboy vignette...
Matt Piechocinski
Of the Dark Horse big books of scary stuff, this is probably my favorite.
Kevin Fanning
Really made me miss the old House of Mystery series.
Darnia
I skipped the short stories :P
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett added it
Horror,Graphic Novel
Julia Chase
I just love this stuff!
Raven
Meh... Ok read...
Alex Reynolds
Alex Reynolds marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
  • The Saga of the Bloody Benders
  • Alabaster: Wolves
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 13: Mirror of the Soul
  • Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #1) Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2) Betrayal (Star Wars: Empire, #1)