Start by marking “The Enchanted Horse” as Want to Read:
The Enchanted Horse

The Enchanted Horse

It's Christmas, but Irina's family don't have enough money to buy her the present she wants. Then Irina sees the wooden horse in the junk shop window and all she wants is to take it home with her. Irina is ad and lonely and he knows that the little horse is lonely too. But what Irina doesn't know is that this dusty little horse with the tattered mane is really an enchanted ...more
Paperback
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Enchanted Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enchanted Horse

Lucy March
May 27, 2016 Lucy March rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a childhood favorite of mine I very much enjoyed when I was learning to read.

It is the beautiful story of a little girl named Irina who gets it in her head that she wants -- as her Christmas gift one year -- a strange, dirty "rocking horse" with no rocker she spies in the window of a shop run by an old blind man.

Timeless and moving, the story continues as Irina's horse magically comes to life and she has to accept that the magical horse is God's creature, not hers, and shall do what it
Lori Watts
Jul 01, 2013 Lori Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanted horse is a great link in literacy for descriptive writing and a tool for the children to use their imagination.

This book is about a young lonely girl that comes across a wooden horse in a junk shop. The twist in the story though is that the wooden horse actually comes to life...

The only problem I found with this book is that the girls in the class were more interested in it than the boys, which did mean that their work was not as enthusiastic. This should be considered.
Rea
Apr 05, 2011 Rea added it
Shelves: read-as-child
I had this one on cassette as a kid. I used to listen to it over and over. Recommended for young girls who like horses.
~☆laura
I bought book recently because it was the first book I read as a child and I fell completely in love with it, now rereading it as an adult I feel much the same way. This is a beautiful book I highly recommend it for anybody who has a little girl the book is simply magical a lovely tale about a magical horse brought back to life by Irina one Christmas. The tale deals with subtle lessons and is ultimately about love and friendship this is a lovely book I highly recommend
Fatema Meamari
Aug 26, 2011 Fatema Meamari rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, animal-related
One of the most heart-warming, beautiful and enchanting (pun intended) children books out there. Beautiful and very heart wrenching in certain parts. Wonderful read. I wish I'd read this as a kid, it would have had a certain impact on my life. MAKE YOUR KIDS/NIECES AND NEPHEWS/BROTHERS AND SISTERS READ THIS.
Tina
Jul 26, 2008 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book
Theme: Gift of love
Summary: A story about a lonely, shy and poor girl who chooses a diry old toy horse from a junk store for christmas only to discover that it turns into a real horse at night because she's been taking such good care of it. However, she learns a hard lesson in loving animals and claiming them as your own.
Kandis Dawkins
Mar 05, 2016 Kandis Dawkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a little girl. I loved the magic of it in an everyday setting. I can't place exactly what drew me to the book, but I remember reading it before bed every night for weeks. Now I'm an adult with a little girl of my own, and I can hardly wait for her to be old enough to read it to her before bed, too.
RogueHireling
May 04, 2012 RogueHireling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bitter sweet story of love found and lost. A young girls love of a horse and the transient nature thereof. Also a reminder to parents that children need something outside themselves to grown and be happy.
Amy
Really great book l. I didn't like when the parents thought it was a rocking horse but it was a real life horse . I loved it at the end when their was a foal and then the foal stayed with irana
Sylvia
Nov 03, 2009 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairy tale like story of a girl and her poor little rocking horse that comes to life. Very good story!
Helena-Clare
Mar 08, 2015 Helena-Clare rated it it was amazing
Currently using this book with my 7-8 year old guided reading group. It's brilliant for getting them to think about descriptive writing and empathising with the main character.
Amanda T
Amanda T rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2014
Anne Marie
Anne Marie rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Jennifer Keeter
Jennifer Keeter rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Cat Astrophe
Jun 06, 2015 Cat Astrophe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. Always going to have a special place in my heart <3
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
Laura Cheng
Laura Cheng rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2013
Elise
Elise rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2009
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2010
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Ellie
Ellie rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Emily Bauer
Emily Bauer rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Tiffany
Aug 10, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgic christmas child memories. Have bought and read this since. Still love it.
Leo
Leo rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2017
Sharon Mills
Sharon Mills rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Huda
Huda rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Amrita
Amrita rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Amelia Hodgson
Amelia Hodgson rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Howie Monroe and the Doghouse of Doom (Tales From the House of Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Fourth Pony Pal (Pony Pals Super Special, #4)
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Moonsilver (The Unicorn's Secret, #1)
  • Foals in the Field (Animal Ark, #24)
  • Upchuck and the Rotten Willy
  • The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man
  • Harvey Ángel
  • Tarzan (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Ice Skate Mystery (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4)
  • Me and Katie (the Pest)
  • Those Dreadful Children
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • Tickle's Tale (Serendipity)
  • The Snow Pony
MAGDALEN NABB was born in Lancashire in 1947 and trained as a potter. In 1975 she abandoned pottery, sold her home and her car, and came to Florence with her son, knowing nobody and speaking no Italian. She has lived there ever since, and pursues a dual career as crime writer and children's author.

She has written fourteen crime novels featuring Marshal Guarnaccia of the carabinieri, all set in Flo
More about Magdalen Nabb...