Murder Unleashed (Dead-End Job Mystery, #5)

Murder Unleashed (A Dead-End Job Mystery #5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  835 ratings  ·  50 reviews
With a résumé that includes attempted assault and alimony evasion, Helen Hawthorne has no choice but to take on a series of dead-end jobs to make ends meet. At the Pampered Pet Boutique, Helen hustles a selection of canine cuisine and couture that beats anything in her own fridge or closet. And when Helen goes to deliver a dog to a client, she finds the blonde trophy wife...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by NAL Hardcover (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Unleashed

Chelsea
Ashland Mystery Oregon
I so enjoy Viets' Dead-End Job Mysteries. As one well known author says, "I wish I'd have thought of that!" In Murder Unleashed, Helen's stuck in an upscale dog grooming shop, with bitches on all sides. Helen Hawthorn's down to earth, down and out life never fails to amuse and engage - the players are almost always just horrible. Publishers Weekly says of Viet's work, "Wry social commentary..." and it's true when you think about the jobs.

Viets writes of friendship too, friends that almost always...more
Wow! Great plot twists and turns in this one! Loved the grocery store scene near the end! Remind me not to shoot my mouth off about "crazy old ladies" in the produce section!
Ellen

I finished Murder Unleashed by Elaine Viets this morning. This is about the 3rd book I've read in this series so I am well acquainted with the characters.

In this mystery Helen Hawthorne is working at the Barker Brothers Pampered Pet Boutique by the upper crust members of Lauderdale, Florida. Jeff is the owner and manager of the Boutique with Jonathan and Todd as the groomers.

Helen has continued to reside at the Coronado apts. with Margery as her landlady (and then some) and Phil as her neighbo...more
Marie
Murder Unleashed: A Dead-End Job Mystery, is the 5th book in the Dead-End Job mystery series. In this series, Helen is on the run and takes a series of dead end jobs to make ends meet.

In this instalment, Helen is employed at Barker Brothers Pampered Pet Boutique. When she delivers a dog to one of the clients, she finds that client dead by the pool with a pair of scissors sticking out of her chest. Because of her past, Helen’s afraid to call the police and runs away instead. Later that afternoon,...more
VJ
Good mystery and plot.

Having lived in central FL for several years, I can say without a doubt that hurricane parties exist and people get super-excited about them...much like the snow-loving Northerners get excited about a blizzard getting ready to hit. Both are nuts, in my opinion.

I figured half of it out right away and the other half later on. Still a couple f-bombs and I don't like that at all. Phil has a language problem. Think of some less crude expletives, please. Thanks.

This book wasn't...more
Judith
I am amazed that you can turn any job into an amateur private investigator. "Dead End Job mystery" tagline caught my eye. This time, Helen works as a clerk/receptionist at a high-end pet boutique. I was pleased with the book. The mystery, the characters, the actions, were believable. The pace was great. I could not put the book down.
In the end, I reflected on the high class portrayed in the book. Everyone has a secret, and everyone want to be loved, or at least accepted. I am thankful for those...more
Gramy
This mystery is entertaining and fun, which is just how I like them. I appreciate that Helen is learning and growing from her experiences. I can not identify with how people treat their pets better than most people treat other people. I am more of a people person. I could identify with some of the characters at the pet store and Helen's apartment complex. This was interesting and I look forward to reading more of this series.
Kimberly
Is it me or do the police in the surrounding districts not talk to one another?
Each book has new detectives and it amazes me that none of them have ever heard of someone like Helen?

I think I figured out the killer at the beginning but I wasn't sure. And I swore something was up with Jeff but not what he was up to. Did that make sense to anyone other than me?

Phil. Phil, Phil, Phil.
White Hair, White Knight? Hmmmm!
Melanie
I think this is the last one this series I'll spend my time on. They are cute-ish, but how many times can one woman really find a dead body / be an innocent involved in a crime. It's like Angela Landsbury on "Murder She Wrote" - wouldn't people just stop inviting her anywhere after a while. Meh . . . feeling crabby. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it.
Stephanie
This was cute but there was a weird leap in the middle of the book that connected some characters that I didn't see coming. Sure, it made the mystery come together, but it seemed to come from out of nowhere. I'll probably read more of these Dead-End job stories. Nice, light and fun.
Jami
I'm glad I stuck with this - I always gave up after reading the first 50 pages, but it is a light read so I kept going. It was entertaining; not sure if I will read any others in the series, but this was good for a light weekend of reading!
Trish
Hmm. It is getting slightly annoying that the main character (or I guess the author) has memory lapses from one book to the next - either that, or the author likes repeating herself. I guess I shouldn't read more than one from the series at once.
DJ =^^=
70% of this book I struggled to get through. Didn't have any interest at all. I hate to "quit" on a book so pushed through to the end. Luckily, it got a little better so raised the rating of the book from a 1 star to 2.
Emma
My favourite in the Dead End Jobs series so far & the 5th that I've read in a row (yay kindle). Great twists & turns in the plot, fun characters (as ever) - there's something very comforting about returning to the Coronado.
Ju
I had low expectation for this book but it turns out to be a fun read with many twists. It started off a bit slow but quickly picked up its pace. I recommend it for anyone looking for a light read and some mystery and humor.
Elizabeth
I was a little disappointed in this book for reasons I'm not sure about. Normally when I start a Dead End Job book I can't put it down but I could put this one down. It was still good, just missing something.
Tammy
If I wasn't so interested in the characters, I'd probably give up on this series. As it was, I skipped a few chapters through the boring rehashing of prior storylines and endless speculation.
Linda

This is the 5th in the series that I have read. The series has been a fun summer read. I recommend taking a couple days and reading one of Helen's adventures.
Kristen
This is another great Helen Hawthorne murder mystery cozy. Lots of drama, intrigue, bits of comedy, and good fun, in a midst of a hurricane.
Lindsey
Pretty good...Would like to see this turned into a movie. I love Margory. I think these would be a good traslation into a movie.
Dimples88
This is an excellent, hilarious book! I've read many books by Elaine Viets and they're all really good and really funny!
Toni berkshire
Jan 25, 2008 Toni berkshire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chris, carol
Always like Elaine Viets and her witty writing style. Especially enjoy the references to St. Louis. This book better than others.
Oct 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum
I really enjoyed this book. It was so fun to read. I will definitely read more of the Dead-End Job Mysteries.
Ireland
These are fun, light, by the beach or pool books --Read the Dead End Job Mystery series in order.
Kathy
Getting my brain into Florida vacation mode-Florida mysteries-my guilty pleasure.
Amanda J
As usual, Viets gives us another good book to curl up with and read in an evening.
Debby Johnson
As always with her books easy reading. A good book to read when you do not want to think
Kim Markey
It was a light, fun book to read. Unexpected twists that made the story interesting.
Cristina
It was a cute, fun, easy read. I look forward to reading more from Elaine Viets.
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Die Job
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Designer Knockoff (Crime of Fashion, #2)
  • Nothing to Fear But Ferrets (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #2)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #6)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)