Start by marking “The Muddle-Headed Wombat” as Want to Read:
The Muddle-Headed Wombat

The Muddle-Headed Wombat (Muddle-Headed Wombat #1-4 omnibus)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  423 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Contains:

The Muddle-Headed Wombat
The Muddle-Headed Wombat on Holiday
The Muddle-Headed Wombat in the Treetops
The Muddle-Headed Wombat at School

Follows the Muddle-Headed Wombat and his friends, a good-natured, practical female mouse and a vain, neurotic male tabby cat. The characters call each other simply Wombat, Mouse and Tabby.
Published 1990 by Angus & Robertson Childrens (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Muddle-Headed Wombat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Muddle-Headed Wombat

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Best Children's Fantasy
315th out of 604 books — 1,028 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchAnimalia by Graeme BaseWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
132nd out of 283 books — 149 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne Hamilton
Nov 16, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could anyone grumble-umble about such a terribubbly classic book?
Belinda G
Jan 23, 2010 Belinda G rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every child and peter pan out there
Recommended to Belinda by: Mrs Carlisle, year 2
I think there should be a lot more Muddle Headed Wombat in the world. Children are being handicapped by the Bummageddons and Twilights and Full Frontal Snogging. I think that possibly we could even achieve world peace if everyone was made to read this book at the same time. Imagine Osama in his cave, giggling his guts out along with Obama in his whitehouse and some random guy in a fur hat. Pure harmony.
Kayla
Sep 09, 2011 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Kayla by: My Pa
how can you possibly go wrong with such an amazing classic in books? i got this book when i was in grade 3, as a going away present from my Pa. always took it with me and i still have it to this day! love this book, absolutely wonderful!!
Emma
This has aged really well. It's very sweet and humane, and very witty. I really enjoy reading it as an adult, and my 3 3/4 year old is loving it. It's less obscure than Winnie-the-Pooh.
Ruth Bonetti
Dec 16, 2013 Ruth Bonetti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on this book and its interpretation on radio through The Argonauts Club. It's an Australian classic.
Denise
Jan 11, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
So this is basically the Australian version of Winnie the Pooh. Instead of Pooh bear, we have a muddle-headed wombat; instead of Eyeore/Rabbit, there's a prissy/arrogant little cat; instead of Piglet, there's a helpful & kind little mouse. It definitely suffered the lack of a Tigger (my favorite).

It was enjoyable enough to read just as a way to get a sense of the Aussie lore, but like most classic children's lit I found myself at the end wondering, "Why are so many of these books' heroes stu
Bryce Harper
Mar 31, 2016 Bryce Harper rated it it was amazing
This was one of the books my mom would read to me at night when I was younger and I loved it. I had forgotten about it until recently and I was flooded with happy memories as soon as I saw it. Great book for kids. I definitely want to read it with mine.
Everose77
Mar 19, 2014 Everose77 rated it really liked it
So cute!!! Read this 3 times!!!! in 2013 love,love,LOVE!! Recommend it to anyone who loves cute stories about three animals who travel like gypsies...
Cheryl Hofman
Listened to this as an audiobook on our family holiday. Mr 5.5 and Miss 3.5 were entranced and can't wait to listen again on the way home!
Bill
Jul 13, 2015 Bill rated it did not like it
Listened to the audio version on a long car trip. Dad's review: 3 hours of petty squabbles and irritating voices. Kids' review: Hilarious!
Sally
Wonderful wonderful wonderful! I have this, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and Blinky Bill all in wonderful "complete adventures of" hardcovers and they just look so lovely all on my shelf together. This one is the only one that isn't fallen to pieces, given that I didn't get it (new) until I was 8 or so - the others were there before I could read, and were both second-hand copies to boot. For that reason, the Muddle-Headed Wombat was always my third favourite of the three, but that's not to say it's ...more
Heather Iveson
I loved this book, read it many, many times. I must revisit it!
Wade
Omnibus edition of four tales of the Muddleheaded Wombat, and his friends Mouse and Tabby. Sort of an Australian version of Winnie the Pooh in that they stumble into adventures, often propelled there by Wombat's clumsiness or hunger, or Tabby's vanity. Mouse usually is the agent of their salvation with his clear thinking.
Rachel
Oct 25, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
read this book in year 3 at school and it's such a cute, quirky and fun book. it's a beautiful story for children about friendship and the differences that all friendships have and all people have but about the bonds we all share.

the illustrations make the book amazing.
Fiona
Jun 27, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it
Hilarious adventures of a very muddleheaded wombat and his friends Tabby Cat and Mouse. I read this as a child and also listened to the wonderful radio adaptation. Now I've introduced my daughter to the adventures of Wombat. Gorgeous book.
Kathryn
Sep 20, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Entertaining, though a little dated, childrens tale of a silly but good hearted wombat and his friends--sensible Mouse and the uppity Tabby Cat. Based on some radio plays of the same name for ABC's children's hour which aired from 1951-1970.
Brendan Waite
Dec 30, 2013 Brendan Waite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old favourite that I read many, many times as a child. It was one of the first books I got for my daughter before she was born. I look forward to being able to share this with her in the next few years.
Rebecca
Oct 08, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
There is some great Australian children's lit out there... I have added a few others to my list: check them out!
Susan Banner
My granddaughter insisted this was a must read. . . can see why she was charmed, though am not racing to read more!
Gayle
Oct 02, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
I don't know if this book is as good as I remember, but I loved it as a child.
Cathy
Nov 08, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic when I was about nine years old.
Naomi Etheridge
Aug 25, 2015 Naomi Etheridge rated it liked it
3.5 stars :)
This Day Counts
This Day Counts rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Perez
Perez rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
bookateatime
bookateatime marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Deja Vu
Deja Vu rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Sherrilee
Sherrilee rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Magic Pudding
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Penny Pollard's Diary
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Possum Magic
  • How to Be Topp
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • The Shiralee
  • Fern Gully
  • Skymaze (Space Demons Trilogy, #2)
  • Don't Pat the Wombat!
  • Oscar, Cat-About-Town
  • Burning Eddy
  • Unmentionable! (Uncollected)
  • Worry Warts (Misery Guts, #2)
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as counc
More about Ruth Park...

Muddle-Headed Wombat (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Muddle-headed Wombat on Holiday