The Muddle-Headed Wombat

The Muddle-Headed Wombat (Muddle-Headed Wombat #1-4 omnibus)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Contains:

The Muddle-Headed Wombat
The Muddle-Headed Wombat on Holiday
The Muddle-Headed Wombat in the Treetops
The Muddle-Headed Wombat at School

Follows the Muddle-Headed Wombat and his friends, a good-natured, practical female mouse and a vain, neurotic male tabby cat. The characters call each other simply Wombat, Mouse and Tabby.
Published 1990 by Angus & Robertson Childrens (first published 1963)

Anne Hamilton
How could anyone grumble-umble about such a terribubbly classic book?
Belinda G
Jan 23, 2010 Belinda G rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every child and peter pan out there
Recommended to Belinda by: Mrs Carlisle, year 2
I think there should be a lot more Muddle Headed Wombat in the world. Children are being handicapped by the Bummageddons and Twilights and Full Frontal Snogging. I think that possibly we could even achieve world peace if everyone was made to read this book at the same time. Imagine Osama in his cave, giggling his guts out along with Obama in his whitehouse and some random guy in a fur hat. Pure harmony.
Kayla
Sep 09, 2011 Kayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Kayla by: My Pa
how can you possibly go wrong with such an amazing classic in books? i got this book when i was in grade 3, as a going away present from my Pa. always took it with me and i still have it to this day! love this book, absolutely wonderful!!
Cheryl in CC NV
I see from the other reviews that I'm not the only one who notes the resemblance of this to the Winnie-the-Poo stories. So, I'll tell you a bit about the differences. To me, Milne's writing always seemed a little arch, or coy, and aimed as much at adults as at children. This is more natural, more honest and innocent. It's also more about friendships and loyalty, whereas Milne had underlying themes of psychology and politics.

So, that means that this is not likely to be as enjoyable to as many ad...more
Denise
Jan 11, 2011 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
So this is basically the Australian version of Winnie the Pooh. Instead of Pooh bear, we have a muddle-headed wombat; instead of Eyeore/Rabbit, there's a prissy/arrogant little cat; instead of Piglet, there's a helpful & kind little mouse. It definitely suffered the lack of a Tigger (my favorite).

It was enjoyable enough to read just as a way to get a sense of the Aussie lore, but like most classic children's lit I found myself at the end wondering, "Why are so many of these books' heroes stu...more
Everose77
So cute!!! Read this 3 times!!!! in 2013 love,love,LOVE!! Recommend it to anyone who loves cute stories about three animals who travel like gypsies...
Sally
Wonderful wonderful wonderful! I have this, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and Blinky Bill all in wonderful "complete adventures of" hardcovers and they just look so lovely all on my shelf together. This one is the only one that isn't fallen to pieces, given that I didn't get it (new) until I was 8 or so - the others were there before I could read, and were both second-hand copies to boot. For that reason, the Muddle-Headed Wombat was always my third favourite of the three, but that's not to say it's...more
Wade
Omnibus edition of four tales of the Muddleheaded Wombat, and his friends Mouse and Tabby. Sort of an Australian version of Winnie the Pooh in that they stumble into adventures, often propelled there by Wombat's clumsiness or hunger, or Tabby's vanity. Mouse usually is the agent of their salvation with his clear thinking.
Rachel
Oct 25, 2009 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
read this book in year 3 at school and it's such a cute, quirky and fun book. it's a beautiful story for children about friendship and the differences that all friendships have and all people have but about the bonds we all share.

the illustrations make the book amazing.
Fiona
Hilarious adventures of a very muddleheaded wombat and his friends Tabby Cat and Mouse. I read this as a child and also listened to the wonderful radio adaptation. Now I've introduced my daughter to the adventures of Wombat. Gorgeous book.
Kathryn
Entertaining, though a little dated, childrens tale of a silly but good hearted wombat and his friends--sensible Mouse and the uppity Tabby Cat. Based on some radio plays of the same name for ABC's children's hour which aired from 1951-1970.
Brendan Waite
An old favourite that I read many, many times as a child. It was one of the first books I got for my daughter before she was born. I look forward to being able to share this with her in the next few years.
Rebecca
There is some great Australian children's lit out there... I have added a few others to my list: check them out!
Susan Banner
My granddaughter insisted this was a must read. . . can see why she was charmed, though am not racing to read more!
Ruth Bonetti
I grew up on this book and its interpretation on radio through The Argonauts Club. It's an Australian classic.
Gayle
I don't know if this book is as good as I remember, but I loved it as a child.
Cathy
This book was fantastic when I was about nine years old.
  • Blinky Bill
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Silver Brumbies of the South
  • They're a Weird Mob
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • For the Term of His Natural Life
Ruth Park was a New Zealand-born author, who spent most of her life in Australia. She was born in Auckland, and her family later moved to Te Kuiti further south in the North Island of New Zealand, where they lived in isolated areas.

During the Great Depression her working class father worked on bush roads, as a driver, on relief work, as a sawmill hand, and finally shifted back to Auckland as counc...more
More about Ruth Park...