Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  19 reviews

The best players know that golf is a game of confidence, and most important, concentration–the ability to focus and block out distraction. The goal of achieving clear thought is also at the heart of Buddhist teachings. In his highly original and groundbreaking book, noted PGA coach and Buddhist instructor, Dr. Joseph Parent, draws on this natural con...more
Published May 14th 2002 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Golf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Golf

Bill
I play disc golf and compete in PDGA (Pro. Disc Golf Assoc.) tournaments. I was a competitor in the 2011 pro world championships, where I achieved my goal of not finishing DFL (dead f'ing last)—but only barely. Though I've improved my game a lot over the years, I've struggled with my mental game. So before a big tournament last weekend, I gave the audiobook of Zen Golf, read by the author, a listen.

I loved this book, and I know I'll be re-reading (listening) many more times. It eloquently reinf...more
Albert
I would like to start off by saying that this book is not for everyone. It was written by Joseph Parent, a psychologist that knows much about the game of golf and the whole mental side of it. This book was a fantastic read in my opinion. It appealed to me specifically because I have a passion for the game along with many others. Joseph Parent structured the book to begin by going through a lesson and dividing each one into little paragraphs. The order that it was written in makes perfect sense a...more
Doc & Charly
Yup, it’s all about your head…life and golf. Best golf instruction book ever. I will read this through again and again.
John
Best golf book I have ever read as far as improving your game.
Josh Kloster
The book I read for January was Zen Golf. One of the reasons I had the intentions of reading this book was because I can honestly say I struggle with my mental game on the golf course. After reading this book I can safely say that this will defiantly improve my game here’s why.
This book mixes the philosophy of Buddhism into the game of golf. For example it talks about how you first have to find peace within yourself before you can make a decision that has the potential to make you mad. This b...more
Dolly
Aug 24, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: golf fans
Though I would hardly call myself a fan of the game of golf, I happened upon this book and was interested in the "zen" aspects of the game. I read this book in about 2 hours and though I skimmed most of the golf-specific parts, I did gleam a bunch of nice nuggets that are steeped in Buddhist philosophy.

The book has many witty, short stories, many of which I have read in other books about Buddhism. It also has plenty of pithy platitudes and a healthy dose of bragging about his successes in teachi...more
Paul
Most golfers know that the biggest obstacle to good performance on the course is the space between our ears - our mind! However, most of us practice developing a mental game even less than we practice chipping and putting! We all know that the best way to permanently change behavior and attitude is to do it in small steps over a long period of time - like studying for an exam by taking good notes during class instead of cramming the night before. The beauty of this book is that the chapters are...more
Rob Baker
The most difficult aspect of my game for years has been mental stability throughout the duration of the round. I'm fundamentally sound but lacked the mental toughness when things go awry. Zen Golf tunes you in to truly realizing the beauty in golf while focusing your mindset on the positives even when the "anyway" shot occurs. Well-written despite certain sections being tautological as the book went on.
Rrager15
Are you a golfer who has a decent understandings of the fundamentals but can't get to the next level? Do you get in your own way and self-sabotage your rounds? Instead of bringing you joy, is golf often a cause of frustrations? Then this is the book for you. Numerous times Dr. Parent's description of situations seems as if they were written specifically for me. A good insight into golf, a better insight into life. This is a book that must be digested slowly, it's not meant to be a quick read. It...more
Bob
I love this audiobook. It's so easy to get in my own way when it comes to my game. When that happens I'll start listening to it from the beginning, and I'm reminded (again) to notice the mental gymnastics I play in my head that interfere with relaxing, staying focused and having fun playing golf. I like Joseph Parent's tools that he offers to reduce those my issues. In the end I get what really want: confidence in playing golf.

At some point I'll reach the plane where I start applying the lesson...more
Brian Lombard
If you have played golf before, you have had the reaction of "what was I thinking when I hit that shot"? Reading "Zen Golf" by Dr. Joeseph Parent, will help you answer that question and give you insight into how to control the thoughts that inhibit the body from making a good golf shot. The writing style in this book is very appropriate for the subject matter. The author does a good job of keeping the material moving along as to not dwell in one particular place for too long.
Brad Lyerla
In Zen Golf, Parent teaches methods for maintaining one's cool under pressure by staying in the moment and avoiding useless judgments. Patience, calm and dignity are the keys. They lead to clear-headed golf and that will improve scores.

None of this is new information. But Parent offers some mental exercises, many borrowed from Buddhist teachings, that may be helpful to those who are impatient or quick to anger.
Russell Marks
I read this one during the rainy season hoping that it would aide in lowering my handicap, I guess time will only tell. There were plenty of good focus and visual techniques recommended. I particularly liked how the author tried to avoid writing in first person as a means of making the reader truly immerse themselves in the lessons. Nonetheless, the book rambled on a bit and became repetitive.
Kate
Ok, so don't laugh but I had to read this book to see if it would help my golf game. I have to say it did even being 30 weeks pregnant. I am still playing and loving it. My handicap has stayed about the same even though this little guy keeps me from swinging in my full range of motion. I recommend this book to all of my golfing friends!
Muriel McLemore
This book was recommended by a club champion that we met in Florida. It combines golf mechanics with Buddhist philosophy to help manage the mental game. It really focuses on just trusting what you practice. Although I have finished the book, I will go back to it often to get my head straight when I am on the course.
Bradhusser
I believe this book is one thy will help me over time so I am not entirely sure how to rate it. I have played once since reading golf zen and it has made no noticeable difference in my game. I think it may require a reread and some time to get all have all the concepts sink in and really help my golf game.
Peter
The most difficult distance to master in golf is the 8 inches (give or take) between one's ears. If nothing else, this book helped me understand that.
Kathy
I am a new golfer. My brother recommended this book. He felt it would help me enjoy the game. And it is working! Now I'm recommending it to my golfing buddies.
Myke
Sep 11, 2007 Myke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Golfers / Budhists / Athletes
Great book. Applies to all sports not just golf.
Alex Sacerdote
Alex Sacerdote marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Zen Golf Zen Golf Zen Golf Golf: The Art of the Mental Game: 100 Classic Golf Tips Zen Puttingmastering The Mental Game On The Greens How to Make Every Putt: The Secret to Winning Golf's Game Within the Game Zen Putting: Mastering the Mental Game on the Greens

“Golf can't be taught, it can only be learned.” 1 likes