Holy Bible: NIV Thompson Chain Reference Bible-NIV

Archaeological supplement
75 unique study features
6 5/8 X 9 3/8 % Font size: 9
Hardcover, 1963 pages
Published March 1st 1990 by Kirkbride Bible Company (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Anita
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. . . The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Dm
This is the Cadillac of personal reference Bibles in print without having to own separate concordance and supplements. NIV translation is ok, but I believe other English translations are available in the Thompson.

Spoiler: God has Victory through the Son who was slain on Calvary, and arose three days later, never to taste death again. "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." --Romans 10:9 New International V...more
Jody
This is my second time reading completely through the Bible. I followed the "Through the Bible in a Year" by the American Tract Society. I love the well known stories in the Old Testament: Adam & Eve, Noah, Abraham, Joseph, etc., but I admit it's tough reading through some of those Old Testament chapters with their laws and measurements. I never fail to be amazed at how the Israelites had God right there with them and still didn't trust in Him completely. I love Luke's telling of the birth o...more
Tiff Miller
For the first time in my Christian life, I have read the entire Bible, cover-to-cover. I pulled out Matthew Henry's commentary occasionally to help me understand difficult passages, but other than that, I didn't read anything else for my devotional timeIt took me two years, reading a little everyday, and I am so glad that I did it.

Never have I felt as though I got a glimpse of the bigger picture of my faith. God's big picture is amazing, and I am just going to start over and read through it. Aga...more
Dele
Mar 25, 2008 Dele rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
For someone like me with neverending curiosity and a thirst for understanding, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is a must-have. There is so much historical information and incredible study tools built in to help amplify the Scriptures. I ended up getting this Bible as a gift because my college roommate got sick of me constantly borrowing hers! Fourteen years later, I still have it (though it's battered) and still highly recommend this version to serious Bible-readers.
Jake Maguire
Jun 30, 2008 Jake Maguire rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jesus likers
Nick
I wish it had bigger margins to take notes in, but he maps and archaelogical info in the back are useful. Having worked with the Greek and beginning to look at the Hebrew, I'm starting to prefer mor literal translations such as the RSV, the NASB, or the ESV. However, I grew up on the NIV and memorized a lot of verses using it.
Abby
I won't pretend to understand everything in this book. Heck, I won't even pretend to understand most of it. But, I do know that this book contains everything I really need, and will ever really need. This book is never moving out of my 'currently-reading' shelf.
Keith Davis
The NIV is probably a better translation for modern readers, but I prefer the beauty of the King James Version. This edition has a lot of reference material added in. Useful if you like that kind of supplemental text.
Carrie
It took a little longer to finish than I had hoped, but I did it! You are never too young or too old to read the #1 best selling book. Never stop searching for truth.
Twila
I love this Bible. My students do to. It's great for in-depth study.
Jack Corcoran
Apr 15, 2008 Jack Corcoran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and Jews
Recommended to Jack by: Jesus
This is a Bible, it's fairly self explainitory.
Brooke
Worth reading over and over and over...
Probodh Kumar
Probodh Kumar marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Robert Cobby
Robert Cobby marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sam Smith
Sam Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Veda Sorrells
Veda Sorrells is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2014
Lori-lyn
Lori-lyn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Jon
Jon added it
Sep 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita