Start by marking “Home for Navidad” as Want to Read:
Home for Navidad

Home for Navidad

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Rosa is ten years old, and she lives with her grandmother, her little brother, and her uncle in a small town in Mexico. But her mother lives in the United States, trying to earn much-needed money to send home to her family. So Rosa has not seen her mother in three years. She misses her mama all the time, but most particularly in the weeks leading up to Christmas. This year ...more
Published September 29th 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Home for Navidad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for Navidad

Chandler Cash
I really enjoyed this book, I thought the story was beautifully written and gave such detail that I really felt like I was with the writer. It beautifully described what a person who is waiting for a loved one to come back from America to celebrate Navidad, Christmas, with them and how they feel about it. It helps give these feeling based on the fact it is a first persons account of a daughter waiting for her mother to come back from America and spend christmas with her.

For the classroom I thin
This book is so important, but a little over my kids' heads, so I opted not to read it. Centering on a girl in Mexico whose mother is away in the USA trying to earn money for the family, it touches on immigration, child/migrant labor, non-nuclear families, and hope. So necessary.
Kelli Ryne
This is a sweet story about a family in Mexico waiting for the mother to return after working in New York for three years. It's a fantastic resource for teaching cultural aspects of modern Mexican life. It touches on migrant work and the economic pressures that cause it. I would use this to teach modern immigration. It's a very timely story and it can easily be used in conjunction with news articles about Mexican migrant workers and their perception and reception in the United States.
This is a story about a little Mexican girl whose mother works in New York. She hasn't seen her mother in three years, and she'd really like her mother to come home for Christmas. It was a good story for my children to hear, to know that there are mothers and children who are separated because the mothers need to work.
Lynda Leblanc
Lynda Leblanc marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Darla marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
MJ added it
Jul 13, 2013
Tara marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2009
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...