Start by marking “The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King, #3)

The Sword and the Flame (The Dragon King #3)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  2,030 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In the third volume of The Dragon King Saga Quentin finally reigns as the Dragon King. Faced with the kidnap of his son, he struggles with his conscience as he again faces necromancer Nimrood. This time more than a kingdom hangs in the balance. This edition contains anglicised spellings.
Published August 1st 2002 by Lion (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword and the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword and the Flame

Janelle
Aug 24, 2012 Janelle rated it did not like it
First I'd like to say please don't judge all Lawhead books by this one. His later works are MUCH better. However this book was really not worth reading. The characters are cardboard cut outs. Every single character behaves exactly as you would expect them to except maybe for Quinton whose ridiculousness mood swings were just annoying and out of proportion with what had happened. I kept hoping Theido would slap him in the face. Seriously that would probably have solved half their problems right ...more
Nikki
Mar 11, 2009 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
By read, I actually mean that I gave up on this trilogy. I can't imagine that this book would be any better than the previous two. Cliché piled on cliché, with powerless women and a bundle of fantasy stereotypes, compounded by over-elaborate, unnatural writing. I did used to like Lawhead's writing, but not so much in these books. It might have got better in the next book, but I have far too many books to hang around and wait for that. If you can't keep me interested, you're out.

(I find it odd ho
Denae Christine
Too spread out to too many pov characters, IMHO. The denoument, however, was worth it.

Like the first two of the trilogy, this book has strong Christian themes, with Quentin serving the One God and trusting that the God won't forsake him in his darkest times. This was fine. It fit the book and world, and it added to the story. However, it left me expecting a literal deus ex machina moment the entire book, which sort of happened in the first two. Hmm. This did kind of happen, and it is not as fun.
Fanny
Nov 17, 2016 Fanny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ce
Finir ce livre était une véritable corvée ! Je l'ai fini parce que je suis une tête de mule, mais je ne lis pas de romans (encore moins de romans de fantasy) pour me faire évangéliser.
Le seul moyen de surmonter les épreuves, dans ce livre, c'est de prier. Mon fils se fait enlever ? Bah je vais dans une ville sainte et je vais prier. Ma bataille se déroule mal ? Prions un peu, mes braves. (view spoiler)
Aelvana
Oct 31, 2014 Aelvana rated it liked it
Quentin has settled in as King and has built a family for himself. But Nimrood the Necromancer has returned, hungry for revenge. Nimrood kidnaps the Prince and Toli and stirs up the people of the realm against Quentin and Quentin's god. Quentin finds himself unexpectedly alone and descends into mad grief. Everything is being taken away from him: his son, his family, his friends, his faith. Will the promise of a new era indeed come to pass, or will it crumble like so much dust?

If you've read the
Annie
First Look: *****(5) Of course, the first two were amazing, so I knew this had to be amazing too. My cover (the reddish and white one) is okay, but while searching for an online picture I found another one, which is cooler.

Setting: *****(5) I want to live in this world. No joke. That's how good it is. As I read I could vividly see it all around me.

Characters: *****(5) Awesome. That's the best word to sum it up. They were all very complex, and even Quentin's crazy mood swings/spazz moments were b
Mark Buxton
Jun 21, 2016 Mark Buxton rated it liked it
My name is Toli, and the king has blamed me for the kidnapping of his son. And he's right, I should have protected him better. Now, the king has lost all hope, and he's in danger of losing his throne. I've learned the kidnapper is Nimrood; we should have made sure he was dead when we had the chance. He is demanding the king's sword as ransom for the prince's safe return, but the sword has disappeared. However, the king's greatest threat may come from within the kingdom. His faith and devotion to ...more
Luke Taylor
Jan 25, 2016 Luke Taylor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Presenting challenges in a trilogy's third and final installment can prove to be difficult, and whilst Quentin's self-centered fall from grace at the kidnapping of his son and loss of his enchanted sword is but one of the factors unsettling Mensador, I believe The Sword and the Flame lacked the pernicious threat of the previous works due to the fact that several story arcs worked to steal from each other, so that, in the climax, a scene that should have been justifiably epic, as a clash between ...more
Phillip Lemons
Apr 26, 2013 Phillip Lemons rated it really liked it
In some ways this book is the strongest of the trilogy and in some ways it's the weakest. The technical aspects of Lawhead's writing is noticeably improved over the first book, In the Hall of the Dragon King. However, the plot felt weaker than the other two books.

The story feels like a blend of King David and Job. I found it a bit difficult to identify with the characters. In some ways the characters behaved as they ought to have rather than how I imagine real people would have. That is with ex
Bob Hayton
Sep 12, 2009 Bob Hayton rated it really liked it
This is the finale of Lawhead's Dragon King series. This book does two things. It first brings out a more direct spiritual element in the work. Quentin is enthroned as the Dragon King who aims to bring in the kingdom of light, and to facilitate the worship of the One True God. Perhaps this directness turns some readers off. No attempt at allegory remains it is a direct Christian tale now.

On the other hand, this book gives hints of what's to come in Lawhead's writing. The tale is quite dark and
Damon
Jun 03, 2014 Damon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but.....

this was a decent conclusion to the trilogy. I struggled with deciding whether to give it three or four stars and decided on four because the problems I have with the story are do to my own beliefs. The story has a generic fantasy formula feel to it which is not necessarily a bad thing but it was obviously a vehicle to promote Christianity. I kept thinking of King Quentin as Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity and the overall feeling I got about the books made me think
Donald
Apr 16, 2016 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, steven-lawhead
Great finality to the 'Dragon King Trilogy'. I could've sworn that Nimrood was taken-care-of in 'The Warlords of Nin' episode, but he's back to rear his evil, demonic head to tap-into selfishness, greed, arrogance, blasphemy, and seek revenge on the Dragon King. Thankfully our Most High is a forever reigning-and-present Lord in our-lives/my-life, especially in the midst of my sinfulness and disobedience. When Quentin turns to Him, whether He be-there for him, or not, and decides he will still ...more
Libby
Feb 02, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another approximate ten year gap has passed in Quentin’s life. This time evil takes a much more personal form. It is Quentin who wrestles and begins to succumb to depression. His friends wrestle with how to break through to him and he eventually must evaluate his faith.

I have enjoyed this trilogy and will definitely read it again. It was such a great story and I was caught up in the adventure. Quentin is such a likeable character and his wrestling with darkness makes him an even more compelling
Meagan Stott
Sep 19, 2012 Meagan Stott rated it really liked it

This book had a great start and the ending made me want to continue on to the next story as quickly as I could, however the middle was terribly dry. Lawhead spends a lot of time building different characters up, and I found it slightly boring, especially in the middle section... There were some intense scenes throughout the book that kept me going though. I did not like the demise of the bad guy, I felt like it came too simply and left me thinking it should be more dramatic. Overall a pretty go
Stefan
Jun 14, 2015 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The third volume in the Dragon King series, was just as good as it's predecessors. I found the wild mood swing within the protagonist a bit hard to believe without skepticism, yet this was still a good read. What struck me is how short The Sword and the Flame is compared to other fantasy books. Nonetheless, Lawhead's characteristic (meaning excellent) character development, plot, settings, and back story are all here. The back story is a bit lacking, but so be it, because this is still a decent ...more
Margaret Roberts
May 15, 2016 Margaret Roberts rated it really liked it
The greatest enemy is self-that is what Lawhead portrays in this third book of the Dragon King trilogy. as Quentin must deal with not only the actions of his enemies, but his own as well. The modern man and his struggles is well portrayed, as well as the very real truth of an all-present God, no matter how one feels. A good read, though I found the conclusion lacking in some ways; there is definitely room to expand with a few characters.
Alex Johnson
Jul 31, 2014 Alex Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Overall a great story and enjoy Lawheads style. There where just some things that were frustrating about the main character and his sudden changing of attitude and heart to be sullen and then suddenly resolved to do good. Based on how the character was developed in the past 2 books of the series I expected a more mature and even tempered person than was portrayed.

Good book just very annoying on that one point.
Lobug
Sep 17, 2013 Lobug rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This one was a bit harder than the other 2. It bothers me that the main character deteriorated so fast. I felt like it was too unrealistic in that. Then suddenly, with very little explanation, he was himself again. His character was amazingly different from the other books, I felt; and the characterization just was not as good. I love this series, but this last book left a little something to be desired after how good the first 2 were.
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 06, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it really liked it
Best book in the series. While, like the other books in the series, the villains are kind of defined by being purely-evil and thus not particularly interesting (though quite powerful!), the MC's character arc was well done and a powerful look at anger and revenge against mercy and forgiveness. I read this book several times when younger and enjoyed it each time.

3.5-4 Stars. (Very Good)
Frans Karlsson
Ashley Bigley
I have really enjoyed this entire series, but especially The Sword and the Flame. The story was gripping and left me wishing for more. The ending was good and made me think of many Bible stories as well as a few other stories that I have read all rolled into one. I will definitely be reading more of Lawhead's books.
Helena
Bla bla bla o Deus.... Bla bla bla mais bla bla bla... o Deus...
E por entre os bla bla bla o Deus... Ah não sou digno... Ah que todos me abandonaram... Ah que vou amuar qual puto de 5 anos...
E milagre!!! O Deus salvou o dia! Deus ex-machina ao mais alto nível.

E é este o resumo do livro! Felizmente Lawhead melhorou muito após estes seus primeiros livros, mas este irritou-me.
Ann
Aug 03, 2015 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, e-book
This series, while nothing amazing, is still an interesting read.

Probably the weakest aspect to me is that I didn't connect with any of the characters, nor did many of them have more than one dimension until this last book where Quentin struggles with his faith.

Overall they were a simple, easy read and still a satisfying fantasy series.
Winston
Jun 20, 2012 Winston rated it liked it
The end of the Trilogy comes full circle full of magical radiance as in the previous books on the series. However, I could not help but dislike the main character...full of flaws and helplessness through the majority of the tale. In fact I found the supporting cast to be much more intriguing, thus stealing the show. A worthy read, nonetheless.
Brad
Feb 18, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it
Third and final book of the series. Interesting and satisfying, although book 2 was clearly the highlight of the series. The major thrust of the book was the internal struggle of the main character, which is interesting, however, it seems a bit overdone at times. Worth reading to complete the series, but not as a stand alone.
Kathi
Sep 02, 2009 Kathi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Too preachy, too predictable, too clichéd... None of the characters had any surprises, and the minor characters, rather than being interesting, were so stereotypical it was almost laughable. I know this trilogy was written early in Lawhead's career, but even compared to the first two books in this series, this was a letdown.
Andrea
Oct 07, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
I loved this trilogy it had alot of religious undertones, but not so much that it detracted from the story. The last book did not disappoint.
Joshua Freshour
Nov 05, 2012 Joshua Freshour rated it it was amazing
"The Sword and The Flame" was a worthy end to the series. I laughed, cried, despaired, and jumped with joy while reading.
Ashley
Jun 01, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
Felt like a slow build up in the beginning but once I got to the middle it gained my interest. I'm glad there was a happy ending.
J.p. McNeill
Nov 13, 2012 J.p. McNeill rated it did not like it
Bland, one dimensional characters, very predictable. This final book fell short in a promising series...
  • The Tower of Geburah (Archives of Anthropos, #3)
  • Bringer of Storms (Binding of the Blade #2)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • Return to Alastair (Tahn Dorn #2)
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • Veiled Rose (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #2)
  • A Wolf Story
  • Crown of Fire (Firebird, #3)
  • The Ale Boy's Feast (The Auralia Thread, #4)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Dragon King (3 books)
  • In the Hall of the Dragon King (The Dragon King, #1)
  • The Warlords of Nin (The Dragon King, #2)