The Mistressclass: A Novel

The Mistressclass: A Novel

2.55 of 5 stars 2.55  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Sisters Catherine and Vinny are writers living in London with secrets to guard: Catherine publishes erotic novels unbeknownst to her husband, while Vinny defaces the homes of women authors. When tragedy strikes, however, both women face their betrayals with new perspective.
Acclaimed author Michèle Roberts brings history to life-threaded into this contemporary narrative is...more
Paperback
Published December 1st 2004 by Picador (first published September 10th 2003)

Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
Two Novels Shoved Together - One of them Crap

This is a bizarre book which I would not have usually chosen, but it was on my reading lists at uni. On the one hand it's a story of two modern day sisters and their complicated love triangle past. On the other, there is an (apparently linked, but not linked very well) story of Charlotte Bronte's love letters to Mr Heger, which quickly descends into S&M Bronte sisters.

As I studied this at the University of East Anglia, where Michele Roberts teac...more
I couldn't actually finish this book. I had high hopes because of the implied parallels to the Bronte sisters. Depressing and after about 3/4 of the book, I didn't care about the plot or the characters. sorry for being so harsh.
Laurie
This book jumps into the middle of lives and leaves you to figure it out. I kept waiting for it to develop, but it never did. Would not recommend it to anyone.
Cecilia
The second Michele Roberts book I've read. It just didn't engage me as much as the first. She is a wonderful writer but the plot didn't excite me.
Kara
There are a few good chapters, but not enough to balance out some of the really terrible ones.
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Karen Witzler
Karen Witzler marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Trish
Trish added it
Aug 10, 2013
Ellie C
Ellie C marked it as to-read
May 11, 2013
Cate
Cate added it
Apr 26, 2013
Harriet Spencer
Harriet Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Michèle Brigitte Roberts is the author of twelve highly acclaimed novels, including The Looking Glass and Daughters of the House which won the W.H. Smith Literary Award and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Her memoir Paper Houses was BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week in June 2007. She has also published poetry and short stories, most recently collected in Mud- stories of sex and love (2010). Hal...more
More about Michèle Roberts...
Ignorance Daughters Of The House The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene Impossible Saints Fair Exchange: A Novel