Start by marking “Christmas Beau” as Want to Read:
Christmas Beau

Christmas Beau

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  323 ratings  ·  22 reviews
His Vengeance Was Sweet

Judith Easton knew that even the spirit of Christmas wouldn't stop the Marquess of Denhigh from settling the score with her. For the beautiful young widow had injured Denhigh's rigid pride years ago by jilting him for another man.

Now that Judith was free from her nightmare marriage to that other man, the bold and handsome Marquess made no secret th
Published December 3rd 1991 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Beau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Beau

Linda
Silent, morose Maxwell: a gentleman. Young, naive woman Judith: a lady. An arranged betrothal. But things were not as they seemed.....

Abandoning him, she married a man she barely knew. Jilted, he was heartbroken. The marriage soured but she was blessed with two children. Her husband died eight years later. And they become reacquainted. It was planned......

He is a much older but quiet man. She is no longer naive. Anger simmers below the surface. His plans move forward for the sweetest revenge....
Ana T.
There's nothing better to start my Christmas reading this year that picking up one of Balogh's wonderful Christmas novels. Christmas Beau is a revenge story but it is also a story about healing and love.

Eight years ago Judith, then betrothed to Viscount Evendon who she thought was cold and feeling, eloped with Andrew Easton who she thought was charming and passionate. Unfortunately her husband soon revealed himself as rake and a gambler and now that she is a widow Judith feels her two children w
LaFleurBleue
I really liked the premises of the story: a 18-years-old débutante jilted her very proper and cold fiancé for a charming rake with whom life is not what she expected and love did not last. Meanwhile the very proper and very cold fiancé turned out to have been mostly super shy and in love with the coquette. Once she was widowed, he decided to exact his vengeance.
The heroine character was interesting and quite realistic. She remained however totally blind to the hero's shyness for a very long whi
Roub
the book had great potential but the seduction dragged till the end. max got judith into bed only in the last pages and the matter was resolved the next day itself. boring and lacked angst and spice!
Crystal
Nothing like a good Christmas story to keep one happy. And I'm not even going to take away a star for Max being a bit of an idiot in the end, because otherwise he definitely wasnt.

Judith jilted Max 8 years ago as she thought him a cold fish, not knowing it was a cover for his deep emotions and steadfast love for her. She marries a rake and has two children, although her marriage isnt the stuff of dreams after the first year.But she has her children - Rupert & Kate whom she loves.

She is now
Megan
This was a hard book for me to rate, as the first 1/3 of the story was slow and a little boring, but the last 2/3 of it greatly improved. 2 stars for the first 1/3 and 4 stars for the 2/3 so overall I’m going to give it a rating of 3 stars. I almost gave it a flat out 3 stars because the heroine has 2 kids and they were around almost ALL the time and I found them very annoying. Some people don’t care if there are kids in the story, but it bothers me. I have a child; I really don’t need to read ...more
kris
8 years ago, Judith jilted Max a mere month before they were to wed (try saying that three times fast). Thinking herself in love with a sketch-y rake character, she left her father a note and didn't look back. Now she's single with two kids! REVENGE IS A SWEET DISH BEST SERVED COLD! LIKE CHRISTMAS! WHICH THIS BOOK IS ABOUT!!

1. I really hate reading about assholes seeking revenge on one another? I had thought Max would come to his damn sense before actually going through with it, which is why I b
Annette
Judith and Max were betrothed for 2 months. They are of the ton, and it was a very public betrothal. One month before the planned marriage, at the end of an evening together, she runs away with another man.

Max is desolate and heartbroken. For a year he isolates himself from life. Then he begins to hate her.

Judith has married a very handsome, charming man. He also happens to be a terrible person. They have 2 children and she lives her life for the children. Then her husband dies. After the proper
Amanda Osborne
This one was...alright. A good story, good characters. I enjoyed that Christmas was truly the main focus of the novel, rather than just the background. But there was definitely something lacking. I think it was the hastily wrapped up ending of the book. There was turmoil, betrayal, wrong-doing...and all righted in the span of perhaps...10 pages? And then no epilogue. This book NEEDED an epilogue, badly. It needed to see a glimpse into the main characters' futures as well as the secondary romance ...more
Gail
Nice story. It may be more 3-1/2 stars than 3.
Ana
It was ok but for the ending which felt abrupt and hurried.
Nancy Kelley
I have read and enjoyed several of Balogh's Christmas stories, but this one left me cold. The story hinges on revenge, which is a theme that seems out of place at the holiday season. However, I was reading and enjoying the book up until the last few chapters. Without giving things away, I felt that character development was lost, and then things wrapped too easily in the end. The conclusion just does not work for me.
Chris
Old RRA-L mini-review:

_Christmas Beau_ is the one of hers that sticks out in my mind as
being really good. I had pretty much given up on her, as she
seems to recycle vignettes, if not entire plot lines, but now I'm
willing to give her another chance after _Christmas Beau_.
Doreen
Mary Balogh never disappoints. A story of hate and revenge at Christmas? It works, because Christmas is a time of redemption too. And I loved the secondary romance between an older woman scarred by smallpox in her youth, and the hero's friend.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A once jilted beau reunites with his first love whom is now a young widow with two children. This time it's a happy ending for everybody. Great Christmas read!!
Janet
I lurv me a good revenge plot and this is one of the best. An incredibly lovable heroine and a wonderful hero. A certain scene always makes my heart stop in my throat.
Rebecka
This was the first time I read this book. I really liked it even though it made me tense and I wanted to yell at the hero. I would recommend this book
Judy Goodnight
Nobody writes Christmas romance better than Mary Balogh.
Rinou
Despite a nice story, I found the characters too detached for me to fully enjoy. And the ending seemed a bit rushed.
Anne
What a sweet, heart warming, excellent romance!
Emily Malden
Sweet book.
Lynn Calvin
Romance
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Pam H
Pam H marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Jessica Call
Jessica Call marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
  • One Good Turn (Nesbitt, #2)
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • Christmas Angel
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • Christmas Revels
  • One Fine Day (Molly, #2)
  • Falling Angel
  • Waking Up
  • The Five-Minute Marriage
  • A Rose in Winter
  • A Regency Christmas I
Mary Jenkins was born on 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high-school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more
More about Mary Balogh...
Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6) Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2) First Comes Marriage (Huxtable Quintet #1) Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)