Start by marking “This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge, #1)” as Want to Read:
This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge, #1)

This Scepter'd Isle (Doubled Edge #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,006 ratings  ·  24 reviews
God Save the Queen! (With the help of the Sidhe of Elfland . . .) Two Masters of Historical Fantasy Join Forces in a New Epic-First Time in Paperback!

Published February 1st 2005 by Baen (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about This Scepter'd Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Scepter'd Isle

Tithe by Holly BlackThe Hunter's Moon by O.R. MellingThe Iron King by Julie KagawaThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver ElvesDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
83rd out of 216 books — 58 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienPeter and the Elven Songs by T.J. DixonPeter and the Kuroneko by T.J. DixonEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books With Elves -- NOT Faeries
37th out of 123 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

As a lover of both historical fiction and fantasy, this s my all-time favorite Mercedes Lackey series. Unlike many "historical" novels, this one did not drive me to mutter "but that didn't happen!!" every third page. Lackey and Gellis know their Tudor history, and I love the way some of the historical mysteries are logically explained as "It was elves." It is a favorite re-read of mine, already worn out and replaced once.
A wonderful romp through Tudor England. The obsessive categorist will ponder whether to classify this work as historical fiction or fantasy. It’s both. The historical characters and period are presented in fine focus, and the world and peoples of Sidhe just as well. Plot is intricate; the names daunting; the period critical for Underhill as much as Overhill England.

Most of us are passingly familiar with Henry VII and his wives. Here the story is retold from the point of view of the next generati
I had the chance to pick this and the two volumes in this series at a steal ($2 ea.!). It was slow getting into this richly detailed book, but towards the end, I found it hard to put down. Mix the court of Henry VIII and the world of the Sidhe, and you have a fascinating fantasy take on English history. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I look forward to the remaining two volumes. BTW, Mercedes Lackey ought to be one of the cornerstones of anyone's collection of fantasy writers. Prolific and generally e ...more

The FarSeers among the Sidhe of Elfhame Avalon have seen two visions of the future. In one, an evil queen will take the throne and welcome the Inquisition in, debauching the nation and threatening even the elf strongholds throughout the land. In another, a red-haired child will grow up to take the throne and usher in a golden age of literature, m

An intriguing take on the Tudor period of time. Having recently watched the tv series The Tudors, I was certainly open to interpretation of the facts as others saw them.
I found the book to be one of those that you have a hard time putting down till it is finished!
An enthralling read from cover to cover.
I could only manage a few chapters before I gave up. This doesn't seem like Lackey at all. It's overly simplistic, the main characters are flat and idiotic. Overall it reads like bad fantasy. Perhaps I'll give it another chance in the future, but for now it just isn't at all appealing.
Oct 06, 2011 Mila added it
I think I'm going to remember my Tudor history better from this series than from any other books about the era that I've read. Elves notwithstanding!
Edward Butler
I'm really looking forward to the sequels, because I think they'll be much better, and I love Elizabethan fantasy. This book feels like extravagant stage setting for the subsequent books; I suspect that the average reader would find it sufficient to start with the second book, especially inasmuch as we are introduced in the first book to many fairies who will (I presume) feature in the sequels, but few of the humans will, and those who do are not major characters here. This is a problem, since m ...more
Two sets of sidhe (fairy) twins, one set Seleighe and the other Unseleighe, work behind the scenes to control who becomes Henry VIII's heir. Both sides are driven by FarSeer visions of the future of England. The Unseleighe want Mary to become queen, so the Inquisition and its horrors will provide their court sustenance. The Seleighe work to protect Henry Fitzroy so that a "red-haired infant" (Elizabeth I)can bring a golden age of peace, prosperity, and enlightenment to England.

More likely to app
Elvie Doll
My detailed review of this awesome book can be found here, courtesy of the wonderful book blog Paperback Dolls.

"If you mourned when The Tudors went off the air, and occasionally take your fiction spiced with a little fantasy, This Scepter'd Isle is for you. It is a thoroughly enjoyable start to a series that just gets better with every book."
A wonderful take on the Tudor era in England. This one covers the section of Henry the Eighth's reign when he finally divorces Catherine of Aragon and marries Anne Boleyn - finishes with Anne's death. The Sidhe have taken an interest in the Tudors as what happens in the mortal world affects their lives Underhill and the far-seers have seen that there could be trouble coming once Henry dies.
I enjoyed this book. I admit, most of my enjoyment of it comes from playing Changeling: the Dreaming, but I respected the way that both authors collaborated to create a well-developed and seamless world from which to tell the story.

I felt that the prose was a little overbearing at times, however, and that put me off from a lot of it. I think that those parts were few and far between, however.
As a whole, this series did not impress me. It was written more to tell than show, violating a damn good rule of writing, and it told you over and over and over again, as if the reader was expected to forget pertinent facts between page 20 and page 120.

I think this first book was the best of the four.
Wow. How wonderful to read a Mercedes Lackey book again. I'm looking forward to the next one in the series. This one kept me turning pages from beginning to end and of course it's about my favourite time in history.
I loved this in 2005, and I just now loved the reread.

Book One of my favorite Fantasy read of 2013
I tried. I really did.

I kept going. But I couldn't suspend disbelief enough and the characters all seemed to run together.

Sorry Misty.
Noreen Leahy
Lovely book. Really well done. Very entertaining blend of Tudor historical fiction and fantasy.
Boring. Just couldn't get through it. Nice premise, but extremely slow start. I fainally gave up after 100+ pages.
Kathy Davie
Sorry, I mixed 'em up. THIS is the story that mixes elves and Elizabethan history. A fascinating tale.
Enjoyable fluff read about elves in Tudor England. First in series.
Jessica Burde
A solid read, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel.
This Scepter'd Isle by Mercedes Lackey (2000)
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
One of my very favorite books of all time
Sep 06, 2007 Annie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs that have a thing for fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Judith added it
Nov 21, 2015
Yhennyver marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Mike added it
Nov 18, 2015
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • The Forlorn
  • Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side
  • Doc Sidhe
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Mother of Demons
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
  • Thrice Bound (Greek Myths, #5)
  • Sleipnir
  • Tiger Burning Bright
  • Planetfall
  • Seas of Venus (Seas of Venus, #1-2)
  • Pandora's Legions
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)
  • A Logic Named Joe
  • Sympathy for the Devil (Devil's Point, #1)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts &a ...more
More about Mercedes Lackey...

Doubled Edge (4 books)
  • Ill Met by Moonlight (Doubled Edge, #2)
  • By Slanderous Tongues (Doubled Edge, #3)
  • And Less Than Kind (Doubled Edge, #4)