Sin City: A Dame to Kill for

Sin City: A Dame to Kill for (Sin City #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  20,311 ratings  ·  211 reviews
It's one of those hot nights, dry and windless. The kind that makes people do sweaty, secret things. Dwight's thinking of all the ways he's screwed up and what he'd give for one good chance to wipe the slate clean, to dig his way out of the numb gray hell that is his life. And he'd give anything. Just to cut loose. Just to feel the fire. One more time. And then Ava calls.
Published November 1st 1994 by Dark Horse Comics (first published November 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Sin City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin City

Sam Quixote
It's hard to give a summary of the story without making it sound cheesy and stereotypical with far too much macho action, because the book, and series even, is all of those things but manages to be so much better than all of that. A sleazy photographer takes pictures of an extra-marital affair with which he plans to blackmail the man with - this is our hero. Then the noir element kicks in - the femme fatale enters the bar in a haze of smoke and shadows. She's in trouble, and the photographer cal...more
Felisberto Barros
“Se você não me puder amar… Então me odeie! Se não pode me perdoar… Me castigue!” (Sin City #2, pp. 63)

Resumidamente um dos valores cultivados em Sin City! Esta cidade é mais uma vez o panorama que não dá tréguas e paz aos seus cidadãos. Mais uma dose muito bem conseguida de desespero, vingança, violência e, claro, uma boa dose de amor que serve de mote para a narrativa. É assim a vida em Sin City, não se escolhe: ou se morre assassinado ou vive-se assassinando. É a cidade em que o amor à própri...more
annik
Первый том Син Сити был о мести, слепой ярости и Марве. Второй же сконцентрирован на женщине, за которую стоит убивать — Аве Лорд. Марв использовал грубую силу, а что в наборе у хрупкой и ранимой женщины? Центр тяжести ощутимо сдвинулся в сторону блистательных дам.

Сюжет и интрига довольно просты, но я читала том в один присест, так что некоторые повороты стали для меня неожиданностью. Атмосфера нуара никуда не делась, отвлеченные пассажи о городе и окружении все так же читались у меня в голове г...more
abatage
It seems that Sin City is populated by noir stereotypes. All the men are plagued with aggression and will do anything for a dame, while all the women are calculating and trade sex for favours. With this in mind, I like to think that everyone who reads these books can have a laugh and consider how hyper-real Sin City actually is - the notion that the clear male/female dichotomy is something to be learned, might be a frightening one.

However, when viewed as the stylised hyper-reality that it is, Si...more
Trebro
The end of my review for Volume 1 was "It's great stuff, I hope the rest is even close to being this good." Fortunately, I was not a bit disappointed.

This time around, we follow Dwight, a man who had a great fall and has tried to live a better life, albeit one that still deals in the smut and dirty-dealing of life in Sin City and its environs. When a woman from his past comes back with one hell of a sob story, will he stay strong? Or fall right back into the abyss he thought he'd managed to craw...more
Marissa
The Sin City movie is literally the only film in the huge mass of comic book movies that have been made lately that is an improvement on the graphic novels. I enjoy Frank Miller's signature art style, all the black drips and angles, but his writing is just terrible. Lines that were charmingly campy and over-the-top in the movie, are juvenile and awkward in print.
Alice Marsh-Elmer
A huge fan of both the series and Frank Miller, full disclosure--I knew this would be excellent before I even requested it on Netgalley. Still, I enjoyed the opportunity to revisit it.

The Sin City series is pulpy, noir, and altogether splendidly done. This one, which highlights a female antihero and a rather lost protagonist, attempts to turn the "damsel in distress" quite on its head. A few of the other characters whose storylines intersect are the focus of other Sin City novels, and the interp...more
Celine
Summary: Dwight holds a tight control over his inner monster - he doesn't drink, plays by the rules and stays out of trouble. But then Ava comes back into his life, a woman that broke his heart. When she tells him she's in danger, his control starts to slip.

What I liked:
- There were some nice twists in the story that I didn't see coming
- The art sometimes has a kind of cut-out quality that looks pretty awesome; though everything is done in black and white there is still plenty of detailing
- A Da...more
Hannah  Messler
This one is just like my life. Cats, sandwiches, murder, treachery . . . the bathtub . . . yeah. I can really identify.
Anna
Sinister. Sexy. I love this volume because it is both those things in abundance. The characters are volatile, unpredictable, manipulative and deadly and Sin City itself is dark and filthy yet deliciously corrupt and immoral. I just love reading about the place and watching as characters try to stay ahead in a world that is always looking to crush them.

The main character, Dwight, is very endearing and you find yourself willing him to succeed. I love how he represses some sort of buried anger whi...more
Selwa
Ahh, Sin City, where men are men and broads are dames.

This is the volume that the upcoming movie is named for. I'm looking forward to seeing how Dwight, Ava, Marv (again!), Manute, etc., are treated on screen.

And, a tip: if (when) you read this, keep vol. 1 handy ... some things from that volume are referenced in this one, and if you're like me, you'll want to flip back to take a look.
Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
I’m a big fan of Frank Miller’s Batman and his Sin City art.

The way Frank Miller sets mood is awesome:
“In Darkness I listen. Rain hits glass, a window It’s Sin City rain, though, nothing to write home about. I count the seconds before the lazy smack of each individual drop. Another passing desert shower that won’t even cool the night off.”

His language and art style is really amazing. The story was good, and was a four star read all the way up until the last page. When I finished the last page I...more
Steve  Magay
Though this book doesn't provide the same amazing action sequence as the 'The Hard Goodbye' did but it makes up a lot for its immense story. Never really liked Miller as an artist but his stories is just amazing. Perhaps 'A Dame to Kill For' is one of the best. The story validates the truth with some women. Somehow I wish Miller could have used more scenes to showcase how Ava's wits instead of just spreading her legs. They can be more diabolical than that. Miller also starts using Nonlinear narr...more
Caroline
This volume is a great mixture of Dwight's story (for those that have seen the movie, this is what happens before what you see there--what turned him into the man you see) and a return of Marv from the first volume, since it takes place before and during those events.

It was great to finally know what happened in Dwight's past to turn him into the man he is during the movie, since you get very little backstory and you only know that he had some rough times and was wanted by the police. It's an in...more
Dima Yakovenko
Фрэнк Миллер прекрасный человек. Удивительно добродушный мужчина. То у него собаки поедают кишки ещё живого человека, то всякие классные парни ловят проституток, отрезают от них куски и заставляют смотреть как они едят эти самые куски, то ещё что-нибудь прекрасное и радостное происходит на страницах его комиксов. Я не так много читал его работ и видел фильмов, над которыми бы он работал, но мне кажется, что Фрэнк Миллер безумен, его комиксы безумны, его герои безумны и город, в который он помест...more
Wayne McCoy
'Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For' features a noir crime story at just about it's best. This is a timely reprint for the movie based on this volume.

This time around, the focus is on Dwight. He's down on his luck after being dumped by his wife Ava. He exists in the lower ends of Sin City, doing seedy photography jobs for a blackmailer. His life is fine until Ava calls him and wants to meet. Her appearance sets a violent chain of events in motion that involve Dwight, Marv, the corrupt cops of Sin Ci...more
Theediscerning
Ava. Damn. It's a little disappointing to see this rerelease features no new material whatsoever – meaning the people seeking all the characters and all the events of the sequel film will be looking in vain – but heck, it's still fresh and vivid and nasty and engaging as it always has been over the last twenty years.

Starkest chiaroscuro and the noirest of images all combine to make this a singular title, even after all this time. The plot – hardboiled man up against it courtesy of even harder-bo...more
Magdalena
I thought it would be fun in anticipation for the new Sin City movie A Dame to kill for to read the comic that the movie is based upon. I loved the first movie (Actually bought it today and will try to re-watch it again soon) and I hope that the sequel will be just as good.
Anyway the story in Sin City: A Dame to kill for is quite simple:

Dwight is working as a photographer taking pictures of men having affairs with women. He gets contacted after a job by his old flame Ava Lord and she is the dame...more
C.J. Anderson
If you are a fan of Sin City then you will enjoy this. Looking forward to the movie.
Andy
Apr 02, 2008 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: storyboard
Shelves: comix-novel
Frank Miller may be the ultimate storyboard artist. His comics are stark black and white sketches with little dialogue involved. The plot is laid out like a basic outline and there’s nothing wrong with that, but by no means does he deserve the genius tag some people give him.
“A Dame To Kill For” is a pretty cool drink of noir erotica, but it’s pretty stark stuff and not too deep. Not bad, but nothing that’ll frighten the horses..
Ghazal Baradari-Ghiami
I'm not entirely sure why I picked up the second in Miller's Sin City series as I was thoroughly un-amused with The Hard Goodbye. However, I think I finally understand the nature of the narrative. This graphic novel (fair to say the series) is all about mood and atmosphere! The art work, which is stark black and white, really reads like a grimy noir flick. Yeah, the whole "Dames, Birds, and Broads" bit gets old fast, and women seem to be pigeon-holed as either "treacherous whores" or "damsels in...more
Kai
Sin City Vol. 2: A Dame to Kill For storyline is just as good as it going to get with Frank Miller. Dwight has been lost his interest in life until Ava, the woman he loved and the woman who left him for money, came walking back into his life. He didn't want to be pulled back into the drama that Ava has always created but yet there was a possibility that Ava could be telling him the truth.

Ava has claimed that her husband was going to kill her. It was just a question of when. Dwight has to check...more
Sara Thompson
I can understand why Frank Miller is considered a guru in the comic book world. Both Sin City and Sin City 2 have been a delight to read. I absolutely devoured them.
While I'm not a huge fan of black and white drawing, especially when they are not realistic, I found that the art actually supported the story. I had little difficulty keeping track of characters which is my biggest complaint with most non-traditional comic book art.
The stories are complex enough to feel like you've read a novel and...more
Derek
Not nearly as good as the first one, but with a rare okay twist that kept me reading. The story and characters were fine, just nowhere near as complex as Marv. It left me a little disappointed. Will definitely continue to read this series.
Lloyd
If you're reading chronologically, this'll be your second trip to Sin City.

Dwight is (apparently) some sort of recovering addict who's trying to keep together and has a job taking photos of cheating married folks. He seems to be doing an OK job at this until his old flame Ava shows up.

But is Ava an old sincere lover of Dwight's, beaten by her now husband and hoping to have Dwight again? Or is there more to all of this?

The answer, of course, is that there is more to all of it. But to say anyth...more
Bill
Most enjoyable. This is the second Sin City graphic novel I've read and I quite enjoy the sparse, dark style. The story was gritty and dark, flowed nicely and held my attention. I'll have to get more.
Benjamin
Oct 14, 2011 Benjamin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film Noir fans, Frank Miller fans
Recommended to Benjamin by: Jarime
This is a hell of a novel. The longer the story goes on, the more drawn into the very human insanity that is prevalent through it's pages. Frank Miller is a genius, both in artwork and in storytelling.
Lee
Talk about your quintessential femme fatale... In a world with no moral boundaries, women can have a lot of power over men (at least that's part of what Miller portrays here). The men are the victims, though you wonder if Ava isn't just mentally ill. I wasn't too crazy about the need to beat everyone to a bloody pulp or the over exposing of the female characters, though by now I know this is what Sin City is about. I still am in love with the art work.

Even though it's the second book, I like how...more
CJ - Drop Dead Cute
While my first thought was...ugh..misogyny...another part said "shhh,there's a reason for this."

There was.

Ava, while a dame to kill for, is a dame that also needs killing. I heartily wish that I had read this in paperback and not digitally because while I'm not a fan of Miller's art, never have been, never will be, I think I needed a full and complete experience with this.

Story wise, it was engaging. As a whole it evoked a campy noir dialogue, and the grit and violence of old America.

Read ARC, p...more
Elle Markov
This novel is very Noir but totally awesome. It takes you think of old time Vegas, when the mobs ran everything and the 5-0 was used-oil dirty.

The main character Dwight, now there's a poor sucker if you've ever seen one; he's too in love with this Dame, a stone-cold bitch named Ava who time and time again screws him over. This time Ava's gone too far and Dwight is out for revenge.

This novel will keeps you at the edge of your seat all the time; I can't wait for the movie that is scheduled for r...more
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 2 (Hellboy: Weird Tales, #2)
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
Frank Miller is an American writer, artist and film director best known for his film noir-style comic book stories. He is one of the most widely-recognized and popular creators in comics, and is one of the most influential comics creators of his generation. His most notable works include Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One and 300.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the...more
More about Frank Miller...
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman: Year One Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1) 300 Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)

“Most people think Marv is crazy, but I don't believe that.
I'm no shrink and I'm not saying I've got Marv all figured out or anything, but "crazy" just doesn't explain him. Not to me. Sometimes I think he's retarded, a big, brutal kid who never learned the ground rules about how people are supposed to act around each other. But that doesn't have the right ring to it either. No, it's more like there's nothing wrong with Marv, nothing at all--except that he had the rotten luck of being born at the wrong time in history. He'd have been okay if he'd been born a couple of thousand years ago. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield, swinging an ax into somebody's face. Or in a roman arena, taking a sword to other gladiators like him.
They'd have tossed him girls like Nancy, back then.”
7 likes
“Nancy's got a guardian angel. Seven feet plus of muscle and mayhem that goes by the name of Marv.” 6 likes